NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-11-2023, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Help with Babe Photo

Not being a photo expert, can anyone help identify what type of photo this would be? It is on very thick stock and is approx. 12 1/2" x 9 1/2". It looks old, to me and has great focus, but I don't know other than that....obviously these pics are cropped. My scanner isn't large enough...Thanks for any help on it.

ps..the bottom numbers, on front, lower right are - 92-120
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe.jpg (175.7 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg babeb.jpg (101.7 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by Leon; 07-11-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:24 AM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default photo ID

This is a publicity photo from a 1927 silent film starring Ruth and Anna Q Nilsson.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
This is a publicity photo from a 1927 silent film starring Ruth and Anna Q Nilsson.
Do you think it would be from that year or later? Thanks for the help...
Old 07-11-2023, 09:13 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default date of printing

I would guess this is a Type I. I have a lobby card of this film and it never occurred to me that these would be later copies.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:20 AM
H Murphy

Default Babe Comes Home

Hey Leon, here`s another 8 X 10 publicity shot from the movie. Has the same type numbers lower right corner. Not sure where I got it but believe it to be period, 1927.
1927 Babe Comes Home on site Movie Instructions by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr
Old 07-12-2023, 07:16 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I really like the photo and thought it was cool when I saw Kevin Conway have it on his site. Definitely enough to look into it with a tad of research because I only know enough about photos to be dangerous to myself, lol.

All of the traceable examples I could find were press used and all had a Brown Bros. stamp. These all also include the reference numbers scraped on the negatives.

After much debate, I hit a wall on feeling happy that it was either part of a publicity package that was not used for purposes intended and never stamped for return, Perhaps some period purchasable item meant for scrapbooking, or worst case someone reusing the negatives at a later time in the 40s or 50s.

Again, I am a moron with photos but looking forward to someone with knowledge jumping in as that photo was a long afternoon of thought when I saw it, lol.watching this thread closely because I love new info!

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:28 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

very nice photo

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-12-2023, 04:09 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

You either have a Fan Photo or the More Desirable Movie Still:

Fan Photo:
These were issued in sizes as small as 3-1/2” X 5” up to 8” X 10” and even 9" X 12", but the most common and most popular are the 5” x 7”. These are the photos a fan would receive in response when writing to their favorite star in care of the studio. They were mass-produced, but high quality photos printed on heavy double-weight stock. They usually carry a facsimile signature, sometimes printed into the negative, other times stamped. Sometimes you'll see a mark identifying the original photographer or studio responsible for the photo, again this information is sometimes seen in the photo negative or sometimes stamped right on back.

Although a much rarer find, sometimes you can acquire these photos with their original mailers, which contain a studio return address, sometimes an ad promoting the star’s latest film, and are postmarked giving an exact date of origin as well.

The 5x7’s seem to be the standard from the late-1910’s through the early-1940’s and then there seems to be a switch over to the smaller sizes (perhaps due to World War II?).

The larger photos were available at a premium to collectors—often the 5x7’s would have a redemption stamp on back offering an 8x10 in exchange for 25 cents.

or

Movie Still aka Publicity Photo
These are all members of the same family, real photographs issued directly by the studio to promote the latest stars and their movies. They were included in press kits, sent to movie theaters to help them promote the latest offerings, and sent to newspapers and magazines for the same reason.

Like movie posters and lobby cards this is an area of great specialization with a huge number of collectors and dealers alike. With a huge market specializing in both standard re-issues and later printings, as well as sometimes shadier later printings of lesser quality, it can sometimes be very difficult to identify original, collectible material.

What follows is a quick primer, but David Cycleback has an incredible online guide loaded with many additional details which is available here.

The safest bet is to purchase Keybook photos, but they are the rarest of the bunch and often carry a heavy premium in price.

Full article here:

https://immortalephemera.com/about-movie-collectibles/
Old 07-14-2023, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks to member, Mike M for sending this publicity picture over...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ruth1.jpeg (76.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpeg ruth1a.jpeg (63.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 04:23 AM
Tony Baldwin

Leon,

Here's one currently on Ebay: 1927 BABE RUTH TYPE 1 ORIGINAL PHOTO “BABE COMES HOME” 8x10 PSA

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (1) Babe Ruth.jpg (146.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg (2) Babe Ruth.jpg (123.5 KB, 128 views)
Old 07-20-2023, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have a concern of mine being a later print because it's a lot larger than 8 x 10. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-20-2023, 07:27 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a concern of mine being a later print because it's a lot larger than 8 x 10. Any thoughts on that?
No. I wound be more concerned if it were 8 x 10. 8 x 10 photo sizes became the standard size of photos in the ‘40s.