NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Mark T.

Default Help: Boxing experts. Johnson-Jeffries PC

From what i have learned i have a 1911 Johnson-Jeffries Round 8 No. 64 "The great fight" postcard. Was looking for PSA to grade it. Would anyone know what or if this PC is designated with a number? Front is blank and unused with no desc. of year.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 504_sc10.jpg (33.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM
D@vid Om@n

Default July 4th 1910 Jeffries Johnson Fight

Its from the July 4th 1910 Heavy Weight Championship of the world fight. Fought in Reno Nevada, shot by Dana himself. So what and why do you think that grading a Photo Postcard is gonna do for you? Its a Postcard...I have 30 of these types from the fight....They now sell on ebay for $30.00-$50.00. What more is there to say...Its Not a trade card or Tobacco Card.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Mark T.

It's a friends PC and since i deal with vintage baseball cards and never sent in a Boxing PC before i needed some advice. Did not know price (now i do) so i will inform him that it is not worth grading.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Dave

Yeah, 1910 Dana Photo Postcard.

I've had some of these sell for over $100, but it has to be one of the clearer or more important shots from the fight. It helps if both of their faces are visible or if it's a nice crisp overhead crowd shot with decent clarity of the fight action in the ring.

Individual clear shots featuring Johnson in the ring, Pre-Fight, also seem to do pretty well.

I wouldn't rely on the numbering if you are one of those set completists either, unless it's from a complete pre-packaged album that Dana put together himself.

It seems like every album he put together was custom made with a different set of Postcard #'s................not to mention the bootlegs others made from his original photos, which are of the era, but basically real photos OF his photos cropped into a Postcard format. Sometimes you can even see the thumbtacks cropped into the photo holding the original image up on the board being photographed by the bootleggers, or maybe even Dana did these himself, when he didn't have access to his original negs...............he did tend to photograph and develop a lot of these on-site at the event to sell to fans.

Later on he would create custom albums to sell to customers or send to colleagues, newspapermen...........after the fight.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Mark T.

Great info!!!! Told my friend the news and we both agreed to not send for grading.

Thanks