NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2022, 09:00 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I was posting in another baseball related thread here and started to think about what I really missed about the game...and it's not pace of play related...it's actually the opposite of that.

I miss having a Rickey Henderson type around. I mean, I miss the Willie Wilson's, Omar Moreno's, Vince Coleman's and Tim Raines too, but Rickey was just another level of entertainment.

Rickey, when he wasn't going through his "I'm bored with the game, or my environment, or my teammates" stretches, was wondrous to watch.

A total disruptor. I remember the first few years of his stretch with the Yankees, and if he came up to bat at the beginning of an inning, he could command that entire inning from beginning to end.

Would he hit a homer? Would he work a 12 pitch walk and turn it into a triple (and he worked a lot of walks)? Would he completely take the pitcher out of their game, daring him to pick him off? Would he get picked off, and beat the throw to 2nd base anyways? Would the catcher be so flustered, he'd throw the ball into center field trying to get Rickey out?

A 6 minute Rickey Henderson at bat, with him playing psychological games with the pitcher, getting in and out of the box, and then daring the pitcher/catcher on the base paths, dragging out the at-bats of the guys hitting behind him in the line-up, was far more exciting then any 1-2-3 quick inning.

Edge of your seat stuff. If there's a talent around today, who could do that on a regular basis...we'd never know it.
Oh, man, did I love watching Rickey Henderson as a kid. It was a treat whenever I got to see him play too because I grew up in NW Ohio where the Tigers were the only games on regularly. I never missed it when they played the A's though. And caught as many espn highlights as I could. I collected his cards and had a poster on my bedroom wall where he was holding a stolen base, and was wearing neon green batting gloves. That said, as much as I wanted to emulate him and work the bases in my little league days, I just didn't have the speed. Haha
Old 04-13-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Pulling Kershaw in the middle of a perfect game is another way that baseball isn’t doing itself any favours. Ridiculous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, this was terrible. In part I blame Kershaw for not insisting that he be left in. Only 80 pitches through seven innings and 23 perfect games in baseball history!

Last edited by sreader3; 04-13-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:49 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Yes, this was terrible. In part I blame Kershaw for not insisting that he be left in. Only 80 pitches through seven innings and 23 perfect games in baseball history!
Total prima Donna BS. Tell me again how great baseball is. Rooting for this metrics-driven, corporate, robotic MLB these days is like rooting for Bernie Madoff, denying he did anything wrong, even admiring all his accomplishments. Then he got caught.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 04-14-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:28 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Going back to previous comments, I honestly do not find the length of games a deterrent to future fandom.

I admit that the length has almost completely stopped my ballpark trips and it is unlikely that I will return due to the ease of watching from home, better views, the fanbase after the 6th inning with consumption, as well as a bathroom line that satisfies my old man prostate needs, lol.

The one change I would like to see is some (what I would consider easier changes to eliminate wasted time) limits to pitching changes and stepping out of the box to dink around with swings. Abuse of leaving the box should equal a strike added to the count.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:31 AM
J@mes In.gram

Now that all of the fun has been sucked completely out of it, "the game" is nothing but money. I'm done. I should have been done with the strike of '94, as so, so many others were. Dying? It's dead! All that's left is a corporation.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 04-15-2022, 02:56 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Now that all of the fun has been sucked completely out of it, "the game" is nothing but money. I'm done. I should have been done with the strike of '94, as so, so many others were. Dying? It's dead! All that's left is a corporation.
Above is paraphrased from a 1925 beat reporter. Also, each of his successors.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:11 PM
Hank Thomas

I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that the old system, whereby pitchers were expected to finish their games unless they were really getting knocked around, produced worse results than bringing in relievers after low pitch counts compared to the old days. I don't understand how anybody can look at the records of hundreds of old-time pitchers, and not just the special ones, and not at least question the modern strategy. Were the old-timers actually worn out in the later innings and costing their teams games before the light bulb went off in some manager's head with the idea of replacing them before that happened, or did good pitchers more frequently get into grooves whereby they were throwing just as well in the eighth, ninth, and sometimes eleventh, twelfth, or even fifteenth or sixteenth innings! I Want to see SABR-type analysis of the comparison between yesteryear and today. Which was actually more effective?

Last edited by Hankphenom; 04-15-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that the old system, whereby pitchers were expected to finish their games unless they were really getting knocked around, produced worse results than bringing in relievers after low pitch counts compared to the old days. I don't understand how anybody can look at the records of hundreds of old-time pitchers, and not just the special ones, and not at least question the modern strategy. Were the old-timers actually worn out in the later innings and costing their teams games before the light bulb went off in some manager's head with the idea of replacing them before that happened, or did good pitchers more frequently get into grooves whereby they were throwing just as well in the eighth, ninth, and sometimes eleventh, twelfth, or even fifteenth or sixteenth innings! I Want to see SABR-type analysis of the comparison between yesteryear and today. Which was actually more effective?

There's been untold numbers of studies done on the effectiveness of starting pitchers in the early, the middle, and the late innings, and outside of a few anecdotal outliers it's pretty cut and dry.

As far as the "Old-Timers", it was a completely different game, with different ballparks, equipment, circumstances, and strategies.

You may not like present day strategy, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Parody perhaps but Baseball does have problems

Although (due to political inflammation before the start of the 2020 season by MLB and the local 9) I have not watched MLB in 2+ years, I read this article as parody. "The Biden administration could seize all 30 teams and dissolve the league by executive fiat ... more realistic to assume that Congress would have to be involved ... " Seriously? Well, in this era of COVID and "official" responses thereto (not to mention the amazing progress shown in DC since January 20, 2021), I guess author Matthew Walther and the NYT are on solid sand.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Total prima Donna BS. Tell me again how great baseball is. Rooting for this metrics-driven, corporate, robotic MLB these days is like rooting for Bernie Madoff, denying he did anything wrong, even admiring all his accomplishments. Then he got caught.
"Metrics-driven": I love it. I am a stats geek.

"Corporate": Not sure what this means. Most private enterprise these days involves corporations. Hell, I was a one-person corporation for 18 years while I was practicing law. Perhaps you would prefer that baseball be run by the federal government? They do such a great job! I can only imagine the new regs.

"Robotic": Again, not sure what this means. Last time I checked, there were no robots on the MLB diamond. Just flesh and bones fielders, batters, umps and coaches with all of their human foibles.

"Bernie Madoff": I never rooted for Bernie Madoff. The guy made-up stats and defrauded his clients of hundreds of millions of dollars. I haven't seen that in baseball. In baseball, you can watch the game and track the stats. No fraud so far as I can tell. Just big business, big contracts, big money--which you perhaps don't like.

Baseball is rather like our country. Fundamentally sound and flawed; worth preserving and improving.

Last edited by sreader3; 04-15-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:25 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
There's been untold numbers of studies done on the effectiveness of starting pitchers in the early, the middle, and the late innings, and outside of a few anecdotal outliers it's pretty cut and dry. As far as the "Old-Timers", it was a completely different game, with different ballparks, equipment, circumstances, and strategies. You may not like present day strategy, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.
Here's the question I would like answered, and it shouldn't take much to come with the answer, but I didn't when I googled it: Since the advent of the short starters and multiple relief pitchers, are fewer runs being scored in the later innings?
Old 04-16-2022, 02:40 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
"Metrics-driven": I love it. I am a stats geek.

"Corporate": Not sure what this means. Most private enterprise these days involves corporations. Hell, I was a one-person corporation for 18 years while I was practicing law. Perhaps you would prefer that baseball be run by the federal government? They do such a great job! I can only imagine the new regs.

"Robotic": Again, not sure what this means. Last time I checked, there were no robots on the MLB diamond. Just flesh and bones fielders, batters, umps and coaches with all of their human foibles.

"Bernie Madoff": I never rooted for Bernie Madoff. The guy made-up stats and defrauded his clients of hundreds of millions of dollars. I haven't seen that in baseball. In baseball, you can watch the game and track the stats. No fraud so far as I can tell. Just big business, big contracts, big money--which you perhaps don't like.

Baseball is rather like our country. Fundamentally sound and flawed; worth preserving and improving.
For all your puffed-up enthusiasm, baseball is still undeniably dying.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 04-16-2022, 05:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

As I sat in the Citifield parking lot yesterday for an hour after the game ended waiting to move my car a few more inches I stayed calm by just repeated to my self over and over “baseball is dying ….. baseball is dying ….. baseball is dying”.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:42 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
As I sat in the Citifield parking lot yesterday for an hour after the game ended waiting to move my car a few more inches I stayed calm by just repeated to my self over and over “baseball is dying ….. baseball is dying ….. baseball is dying”.
How much was your ticket(s)? How much did you pay to park? Did you purchase beer, soda, peanuts, hot dogs, or any of that? Was it a sellout on a Friday night? How long did the game last? Was it fun? Finally, I haven't checked, did the Mets win?

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 04-23-2022, 07:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Even with the disaster that is the Oakland As, baseball attendance in April up meaningfully from 2019 levels, last full season before covid.

Baseball is dying . . .baseball is dying. . . .baseball is dying . . . .
Old 04-23-2022, 08:03 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Even with the disaster that is the Oakland As, baseball attendance in April up meaningfully from 2019 levels, last full season before covid.

Baseball is dying . . .baseball is dying. . . .baseball is dying . . . .
Keep on drinking that Kool Aid, brother!

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 04-23-2022, 09:16 AM
John I.

Quote:
Keep on drinking that Kool Aid, brother!
You seem overly invested in this, to be honest. I think baseball could be a lot better, but it's not dying, at least not yet.

Last edited by John1941; 04-23-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Your apparent dissatisfaction with the expense and crowds involved in attending the games, would appear inconsistent with your premise that the game is dying. Kinda like "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded!" Unless you are making a long-run prediction.

Quote:
How much was your ticket(s)? How much did you pay to park? Did you purchase beer, soda, peanuts, hot dogs, or any of that? Was it a sellout on a Friday night?
Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
You seem overly invested in this, to be honest. I think baseball could be a lot better, but it's not dying, at least not yet.
I am no way invested. But to say there is nothing wrong or imply everything is wonderful I just do not understand. The OP was not written by me, and I have read many other similar viewpoints. Of course I understand MLB isn't going to talk about any sort of decline; neither are those who make their living talking about it. My grandfather, dad, and I used to attend, watch on TV and listen on radio to countless games. I don't do that anymore. There are many reasons why. That's just me. No one I know, other than my overly positive wife, does to any degree either. Baseball didn't change that much, relatively speaking, over the decades. But in the last 20 or 25 years it sure has. And to just about everyone I know, and quite a few people I read, the changes compared with all the various outlets available to entertain with the advent of the internet and smartphones, just aren't good. At first I thought perhaps it was just me. That is not the case.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 10-03-2022, 09:37 PM
Eric Perry

The quote below is from a post I made in April. My passion for the game of baseball is as strong as ever. My beloved Phillies just clinched their first playoff berth since 2011. They went into the game with a Magic Number of 1 and took care of business. They got a home run on the very first pitch of the game. As it turned out, that was all they would need, as they shut out the Astros, 3-0.

Can the Phillies win the World Series? Perhaps not; however, baseball is often all about the thrill of possibility. They're in the playoffs. Starting Friday, a championship will be a mere thirteen wins away. It's October and anything is possible.

Man, I love this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
For a sport that’s supposedly dying, it sure was lively this evening; at least from where I sit.

While getting some work done on the computer tonight, I listened to the Phillies game on the radio. For the majority of the game, it was a one-sided affair. Three first-inning runs and a lone marker for insurance had the Mets comfortably in control. However, the Phils broke out with five runs in the eighth and made the game suddenly theirs for the taking. In the ninth, they shut down New York with a 1-2-3 inning for a win which seemed improbable moments before.

I’ve always loved baseball. Tonight was the type of game that keeps me coming back for more.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-04-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
The quote below is from a post I made in April. My passion for the game of baseball is as strong as ever. My beloved Phillies just clinched their first playoff berth since 2011. They went into the game with a Magic Number of 1 and took care of business. They got a home run on the very first pitch of the game. As it turned out, that was all they would need, as they shut out the Astros, 3-0.

Can the Phillies win the World Series? Perhaps not; however, baseball is often all about the thrill of possibility. They're in the playoffs. Starting Friday, a championship will be a mere thirteen wins away. It's October and anything is possible.

Man, I love this game.

My 2022 Baltimore Orioles also pulled off a miracle of sorts. They became the first team since 1900 to lose 110+ games the previous season then to have a winning season the next and were actually in playoff contention until last week. With a young core of talent, the #2 farm system in baseball and only $20 million committed to payroll next year, the future is so so so bright in Charm City!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 10-04-2022 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:40 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
My 2022 Baltimore Orioles also pulled off a miracle of sorts. They became the first team since 1900 to lose 110+ games the previous season then to have a winning season the next and were actually in playoff contention until last week. With a young core of talent, the #2 farm system in baseball and only $20 million committed to payroll next year, the future is so so so bright in Charm City!
As my wife is an Orioles fan (I'm a Red Sox fan), we have the majority of Orioles games on the television each year. I will say that this year's Orioles team has been, by far, one of the most fun teams I've ever watched play.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:16 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

My 2022 perspective on the overall health of baseball . . .

The LLWS was awesome (as usual) -- regionally expanded bracket -- great viewership and attendance.

I attended several high school playoff games. Attendance was impressive. Full venues everywhere I went.

Attended my first CWS regional. Expanded seating at the venue essentially sold out every day. Tickets were bringing premiums.

Attendance weak at my local AA affiliate (only attended one game this year) but late season.

Saw my beloved Bucs a few times at PNC. Experience was as great as ever and attendance was surprisingly strong given their late season standing.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I've pretty much stopped going to MLB games in person since they've pretty much priced me out of going (I could, but would have less money towards any of my hobbies). I should be able to watch several games on my big screen tv, but my cable provider has done away with the MLB channel and there are very few games that they put on the tele...and when they do they're teams I don't care about. With all that said, I will be glued to the TV starting Friday when the wildcard games start.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 10-04-2022, 11:25 AM
pete ullman

baseball is dying...just like the rest of us are dying...a slow death!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:50 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
baseball is dying...just like the rest of us are dying...a slow death!
LOL.....maybe if you lived near Detroit, as it felt like that being a Tiger fan this year. Now we have a new GM and we'll get 'em next year.....or maybe the year after that.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
LOL.....maybe if you lived near Detroit, as it felt like that being a Tiger fan this year. Now we have a new GM and we'll get 'em next year.....or maybe the year after that.

Matt
We will need to make it through the lions season before that can happen,
so a slow death is still a possibility. Lol
Old 10-04-2022, 02:42 PM
Ray VDB

I've observed an interesting demographic shift in Toronto over the last few years. More and more young people are going to games, making it a social experience for groups of friends. 10 years ago the average age of attendee was 50+ (or so it seemed), but lately it's been much younger. Lots of potential factors causing this but definitely the state of the game is healthy up north. Having a playoff team doesn't hurt, as many younger people are bandwagon jumpers or just want to post their experience on social media.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:06 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
The real issue is lack of accessibility to average people.

If you have cable (I know many people have switched to streaming but cable is still the major factor) and my situation is not unique

We are still on Frontier and frankly if a family friend of my wife's was not able to put us on top of any customer service needs. we'd be gone so fast it would like as Quick Draw McGraw was in slow motion.

1) Fox Sports Sold Fox Southwest to Sinclair who renamed it Bally's. Now when the network was Fox many carriers did not want to upset Fox in any way. Sinclair asked the carriers for a lot more money and Frontier said no way. This affects me from watching almost any local DFW sport

2) This one I get a bit more on a business level. on July 1, 2020 during the pandemic and before baseball announced they would have a truncated 2020 season the MLB Network was gone. Now this one I get on the business level since there was no guarantee baseball would even be played in 2020. It's not come back to Frontier since then

3) Not related to Frontier but one reason I was happy to have a Sirius/XM sub was the baseball package was part of what I paid. Last year if we wanted to have baseball on Sirius/XM there was an extra charge.

4) I just read some Sunday games are going tp be streamed and here is an article with more details

https://www.engadget.com/mlb-latest-...215545375.html

5) One key reason the NFL is even bigger than ever is they have not forsaken the free TV (available on Local stations) broadcasts. Being a baseball fan is getting to be well nigh impossible in today's world and you want to make it easier to see games, not harder.

Regards
Rich
You are right Rich. They made it tough to figure out where the playoff games were being shown years ago, and change it around from one cable channel to another. I dislike football and basketball with a purple passion and won't waste any of my time watching those sports no matter how easy they are to find.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Steve White

Default Baseball is Dying

Just watched my Reds win against the Cubs. Can't believe the season only has one game to go. The Reds have to win, or they lose 100 games. Go Reds!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 AM
James

I will go to a game at Coors Field every day of the week vs an NBA game. The disgrace of a “National Anthem” on tv during Covid, explaining to my wife (who was a veteran as a Marine AND Army, Kosovo conflict) that we will never watch this, and the audacity of doing something like that with no in person crowd.

Met my wife three years ago. Took her to opening weekend of Rockies/Dodgers and she fell in love. Going to a game vs watching on television are two different animals. She loved being at the game, and I made sure we sat 10 rows back, dead center behind home plate. They also honor the veterans during the game. Sure, the cost is up there, but not nearly as close as sitting at the top of Mile High in January for a meaningless game. I can go on and on about how television can make something look so different in person vs football. QB’s so inaccurate, the standards are different.

Everything is dying, they say. Baseball changes with the time, and we are coming out of two years with Covid, and the cost of everything going up sky high once things opened up this year. I worked in printing during my 20’s, and that industry on big Heidelbergs is dead, along with skewed newspapers, gas powered cars (they say), and so on.

Sure, the current commissioner is a hypocrite, and not well liked. I expect the game to look a little different next year, but not too much. I recommend watching Ken Burns original Baseball documentary from time to time. It never gets old, and is a friendly reminder of the way things were, are, and will be.

Last edited by jamest206; 10-05-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 AM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
My 2022 perspective on the overall health of baseball . . .

The LLWS was awesome (as usual) -- regionally expanded bracket -- great viewership and attendance.

I attended several high school playoff games. Attendance was impressive. Full venues everywhere I went.

Attended my first CWS regional. Expanded seating at the venue essentially sold out every day. Tickets were bringing premiums.

Attendance weak at my local AA affiliate (only attended one game this year) but late season.

Saw my beloved Bucs a few times at PNC. Experience was as great as ever and attendance was surprisingly strong given their late season standing.
Im a season ticket holder for the Pirates and what Ive found this 2nd half of the year is attendance is strong on Firework or Bobblehead night, but the other games, paid attendance is around 8K to 13K or so, take away the Yankee and Philly series. The actual people that show up compared to paid attendance is anywhere from 50-80%. Some games, there may have only been 1-2K in the stands and the number of foul balls I have got is well over 15 which rarely ever happens. Im not a Pirate fan per se, I just live in Pittsburgh for the time being and I prefer a poor team to get ticket prices cheap and attendance down, but what Im seeing is a fan base that is sick and tired of how the team has been managed. In 2032, it wouldnt surprise me if the Pirates left the city, unless things change soon.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:02 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Im not a Pirate fan per se, I just live in Pittsburgh for the time being and I prefer a poor team to get ticket prices cheap and attendance down, but what Im seeing is a fan base that is sick and tired of how the team has been managed. In 2032, it wouldnt surprise me if the Pirates left the city, unless things change soon.
One of my good friends is the grandson of Danny Murtaugh. Actually has his last game used jersey framed and on his living room wall.

I'd say about once a year he and his mother, Danny's daughter, go up to Pittsburgh for some sort of celebration of the Pittsburgh old timers. This year, they were up there for the inaugural induction of the Pirates HoF though I can't believe it's taken this long to do that for a team with so much history.

Back on track, my friend was telling me how so many of even the former players and family members are sick and tired of this owner and what he has done to the organization. It would do wonders for him to sell to someone who cares about the actual product on the field. My friend's mother wouldn't even talk to him during the ceremony and follow up gatherings that were held.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:10 PM
Paul Lehr

Baseball is dying?

While I didn't make it out to a major league park this year I went to 10 Salt Lake Bees (AAA Angels affiliate) games and had a great time every game.
If the games dying you could have fooled me.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:03 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Baseball will continue to thrive despite Manfred's attempts to kill it!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-05-2022, 04:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
+1
Old 10-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I never thought we would have a worse commissioner than Bud Selig, but Rob Manfred has proved me wrong. For all his faults, Selig loved the game.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:04 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Baseball is dying....

I live 270 miles from the closest major league park, Dodger Stadium. If MLB moves to Las Vegas I will be around 260 miles.

The last professional game I watched in person? The Reno Aces in 2016, about 185 miles from home.

I watch an average of three games a day., and with the “cable” ageeements of the Dodgers and Angels, I watch 40 times as many Yankee and Pirate games as I do the “local” Socal teams.

At my age and with mobility issues, money is just not a primary reason to attend. I have never enjoyed the mess of getting to a game in Southern California.
To be honest I’d rather watch my boys play in their high-end beer leagues than burn time getting to and from a congested overpriced hostile bad beer sometimes dangerous park.

Our local high school took out the baseball diamond to put in a dog park. And that’s because attendance at the school is half what it was ten years ago. But there are still little league teams playing everywhere.

Seems the OP may be getting caught up in pride of ownership of an opinion based on whatever seems an appropriate basis to confirm a bias.

Just watched the Yankees end their regular season. And Trout hit number 40. Cool as hell. I am ready for the playoffs and hockey season.

Just sayin’.

Peace out, and Go Kings Go (lol).
...whatever I want
Old 10-06-2022, 08:36 PM
James

Eventually we will all be old, and retirement will be spent watching a lot of baseball on television. The options are much better now, and boy would my grandma from Depression era Arkansas be jealous of the options now.

Salaries for baseball, an entire roster is how much a year? Granted there is the minor league system, but you have stadiums half to larger than NFL stadiums. Tickets for Rockies games are pretty cheap, the team always sucks or is sub par, but that stadium, built as a monument to the game when I was a kid never gets old going to. No bad seats, super cheap tickets, like any stadium. You only need X amount sellouts and concessions to match an NFL team who gets 8? Home games plus preseason.

It isn’t going anywhere, and looking forward to what the new era looks like next year!
Old 10-07-2022, 01:12 PM

I think baseball will hit the wall at some point.

There are so many things that baseball players and the culture of baseball do, that really are not necessary.

I always thought it would fall apart, but it was an opportunity to revive in a newer way that can last into the future.

Some thoughts I had after playing baseball in college and not really watching too often are:

1. Make all stadiums have retractable domes
2. Standardize the work week 5 games a week (all teams play on the same days) same amount of games in a month, etc... (this makes new records too)
3. Make fantasy sports friendly (the above will help it)
4. This one I am debating --- make a speed clock that if the teams are tied after 9 innings, the "faster" team wins
5. Let the teams use technology for signs (pitches, stealing, etc.) like a Bluetooth ear piece so there isn't all this looking at the 3rd base coach or stealing of signs
6. Shorten the season but allow ALL THE TEAMS INTO A GIANT PLAYOFF -- make the division winners get multiple byes, and much harder for the last team to get in, but all those games in August of 4place teams vs. 5th place teams mean nothing...

idk.....but me, personally, all the stats mean nothing --- lets have fun and make a new beginning......

*also that makes the historical greats more mythical
Old 10-08-2022, 01:10 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtree View Post
5. Let the teams use technology for signs (pitches, stealing, etc.) like a Bluetooth ear piece so there isn't all this looking at the 3rd base coach or stealing of signs
They already have this for pitchers.

Last edited by Tabe; 10-08-2022 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:49 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If you don't allow Clayton Kershaw to try and finish what was on pace to be possibly the greatest game ever pitched with only 80 pitches thrown through 7 innings, maybe baseball deserves to die...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I Completely agree.

The reason I have always loved watching pitchers like Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw.......... is that every time they took the mound, they had a chance to make History!; to elevate that particular game to immortality, instead of it being just another game to slog through.

Managers/Bean Counters have taken excitement, the chance to see something truly special, away from everyone; They've made every game basically the same; unmemorable; just another boring page in the book of a season.

Steve

Three times in Justin Verlander's last six starts, Dusty Baker pulled him with no-hitters in progress:

- Aug 23 - 6 innings, 91 pitches, 10 Ks, 0 walks. Only baserunner he allowed was on a 3rd strike-passed ball.

- Sep 16 - 5 innings, 79 pitches, 9 Ks, 1 walk.

- Oct 4 - 5 innings, 77 pitches, 10 Ks. Only baserunner allowed was on a walk leading off the 5th inning.

Also on Sep 19th, Buck Showalter pulled Max Scherzer after six innings, having thrown only 68 pitches. He had 9 K's, and was pitching a PERFECT GAME!!!!!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 10-08-2022 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:18 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtree View Post
I think baseball will hit the wall at some point.

There are so many things that baseball players and the culture of baseball do, that really are not necessary.

I always thought it would fall apart, but it was an opportunity to revive in a newer way that can last into the future.

Some thoughts I had after playing baseball in college and not really watching too often are:

1. Make all stadiums have retractable domes
2. Standardize the work week 5 games a week (all teams play on the same days) same amount of games in a month, etc... (this makes new records too)
3. Make fantasy sports friendly (the above will help it)
4. This one I am debating --- make a speed clock that if the teams are tied after 9 innings, the "faster" team wins
6. Shorten the season but allow ALL THE TEAMS INTO A GIANT PLAYOFF -- make the division winners get multiple byes, and much harder for the last team to get in, but all those games in August of 4place teams vs. 5th place teams mean nothing...

idk.....but me, personally, all the stats mean nothing --- lets have fun and make a new beginning......

*also that makes the historical greats more mythical
I always thought hitting contest to decide extra innings would be a good idea. or you get to pick your hitter and other team pitcher and whoever can hit the ball the farthest on 3 pitches.....if nobody gets a hit but one guy took a ball while the other one had 3 fouls/strikes then then the one that took at least one ball wins

could always do just a traditional home run hitting contest as well...
Old 10-08-2022, 05:09 PM
Hank Thomas

The Washington Nationals are about to be sold, rumors are in the $2 billion range. They paid MLB $400 million for the franchise in 2006.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 10-08-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
The Washington Nationals are about to be sold, rumors are in the $2 billion range. They paid MLB $400 million for the franchise in 2006.
right the real value is in the franchise value, but there are billionares that love the idea of owning a team and dont care if 'overpaying' heck look whats going on with Twitter..
Old 10-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

Also on Sep 19th, Buck Showalter pulled Max Scherzer after six innings, having thrown only 68 pitches. He had 9 K's, and was pitching a PERFECT GAME!!!!!
He was also making his first start in 16 days, coming back from an injury.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right the real value is in the franchise value, but there are billionaires that love the idea of owning a team and dont care if 'overpaying' heck look whats going on with Twitter..
I don't know, between the owners and players there just seems to be so much more money in the game nowadays. If fan interest is deteriorating, who's paying for it all?

Last edited by Hankphenom; 10-08-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Darrell

Default not this weekend in Cleveland

Just sat through about the shortest and one of the longest MLB playoff games in history - Its not dying .... 35,000 fans sat ... and mainly stood for 15 innings yesterday in Cleveland and game time was about 45F and windy...

Many families and more kids than I have ever seen ...and i've seen alot .

Its still fun - enjoy it ... see you next NYY!

(Kudos to my wife! spent her birthday at the game)
Old 10-09-2022, 07:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I don't know, between the owners and players there just seems to be so much more money in the game nowadays. If fan interest is deteriorating, who's paying for it all?
right but movies make a ton of money, noone complains if tom cruise makes 300 million, it easier to have no talent to be an actor than a baseball player as you can lose your job much easier and higher risk of injury no matter what your name is.....certain movie names will continue to get work for far longer than if they were terrible hitters.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right but movies make a ton of money, noone complains if tom cruise makes 300 million, it easier to have no talent to be an actor than a baseball player as you can lose your job much easier and higher risk of injury no matter what your name is.....certain movie names will continue to get work for far longer than if they were terrible hitters.
Not sure what your point is here. Just like the movies, in the end money=interest. If baseball was dying, the money would at least start to dry up, but it seems to be the opposite, everything just keeps going up and up and up.