NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Help with 1890's oversized cabinet

I am trying to find out more about this cabinet. Mark has helped me put the date in the 1890's based on catcher's mitt and batter's pants, along with face mask and chest protector.

Does anyone have any ideas on if this is a town team (well funded from looks of uniforms) or perhaps a higher level of play? Does the belt or hat of the batter provide any clues?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Photobucket
Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
William Peebles

I don't have the info in front of me, but the square shape of home plate will give you a good idea.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Home plate stopped being a diamond shape in 1893 so your photo predates that. I would guess right about there, 1890-1893.

I am not sure of the team but it is one of the cooler posed baseball shots from the era I have seen and it looks great.

Not that you asked, but I am sure you would have no problem getting $300-$500 for it whereas other cabinets from the same era are $50-$100 so yours is nice!

Rhys
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info, Rhys. The cabinet measures 8x10" which, I believe, from David's website fits imperial cabinet dimensions. How common is a cabinet of this size from this era?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Dan Bretta

The photo portion on that size of a backer is not common. That's a very cool photo btw.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM

That is pretty big for that era and I think it would be worth a little more as a result. You dont see photos from the early 1890's that are that size very often. Most cabinets have a pretty standard 6X4 size so yours is a touch less than twice the size of a standard cabinet photo.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default limited experience

There will be photo guys that can help more and I am sure they will but *I don't think 8x10 will be considered imperial size (I could be wrong ). It is definitely bigger than normal but when I had the Beaneaters photo it barely met that criteria and was something like 19 x 11 (or somewhere in that range). Great looking photo!!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark

With a little bit of processing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1.jpg (71.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks, Mark. I wish the original looked that dark!

I hear you, Leon, on the imperial dimensions. I thought imperial was much larger as well. I googled and found David's website mention a 7x10" dimension, but I will look further into exactly what qualifies. Not that it matters, but I just like saying the word "imperial"
Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Found this from the following website:

Mounted Prints
were very common before non-curling gelatin silver prints were perfected; the majority of mounted photos in the 19th century were thin albumen prints which needed a stout backing to prevent deformation. Types of early mounted prints included cabinet cards (4 1/2" x 6 1/2") which were mounted on heavy stock, and smaller, thinner cartes-de-visite (2 1/2" x 4"). Mounted prints in other sizes fall into a number of categories, including Imperial cards (9 7/8" x 7 7/8"); panel cards (7 1/2" x 13", 4" x 8 1/4" or 1 3/4" x 5 1/4"); and boudoir cards (5 1/2" x 8 1/2"). Studio portraits from the early 20th century are usually mounted gelatin silver prints; the cardstock backings on which these photographs were mounted were produced in a great variety of embossed designs. Most studio-made mounted photographs bear the imprint or stamp of the studios which produced them.

http://45semiotic.com/wia/glossary.html

I guess 8x10" actually do qualify as Imperial.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Must be playing in Oakland. Look at all that real estate behind the plate. lol

Love the image!

Rob M.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Barry Sloate

To my knowledge, imperial cabinets as well as mammoth plates don't have precise dimensions. Imperials are at least twice the size of a standard cabinet, but could be larger than that. Mammoth plates are as the name suggests very large mounted photos, but there are so many different sizes that there is no standard. I would say Leon's Beaneaters photo was closer to mammoth plate, or at least a very large imperial. It kind of straddled the line.