NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Tr0y Thibod3au

Default Portland Maine Trove Part 4

Hello All,

Part 4 of the Portland Maine Trove is April 15 2015 @5PM In Biddeford Maine.

Here are the links to the online bidding catalogs:

Live Auctioneers

ProxiBid
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Is shipping still $15 for one card?

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 04-10-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Great lots, I took some stabs on the ty cobbs, but lost out on both.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

A few times, I went to bid $100 on a card, and $125 popped up a split second before I bid. 2 of those lots I won, so I paid $50 more than I wanted plus BP.

Also, I couldn't figure out my shopping cart. Seems to show only my most recent wins.

Overall though, it was a nice auction with quality material.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Sean Costello

In checking the results, I notice that some cards are missing.
Does anyone know what items # 38A and 33A sold for, and why they aren't listed with the other results?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I know i watched it live, and know some items did not get a bid on them, maybe those were some? If you clicked on them, you may be able to see it in the'recently viewed' area.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

A pleasure working with these guys again. Everyone is super nice.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Don Hontz

I was at the auction last night---the 4th one--Beautifull stuff as usual---I bought 27 cards (mostly HOF's) 2 Red Cobbs, Johnsons,Mathewsons and Young plus lessor Hall of Famers---Prices were close to book with a few bargains---The Lot # 1 Walter Johnson with the EPDG back (
SGC 55) went very high with 2 locals both wanting it---I was also pleased to get the 1889 Brooklyn/Athletics scorebook $750 with the juice----The auction house is Top Notch (they provide free Pizza,Hot Dogs and drinks (soda and water--sorry no booze) we bid high enough and dont need the drinks----There was a rare old judge card near the end of the auction--heavy bidding on that one too and a local did win it. Great cards and alot of fun.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Just curious, when is the trove going to end?? Is it just me, but a lot of the T206 SGC graded cards are graded off center.
Some, drastically miscut, especially on the back of the card. Most collectors on this forum preach SGC graded cards, but, when it comes down to buying cards they want for their collection, they prefer to buy only PSA graded cards. Why is this? I list a lot of T206s for sale, and 90% or better wants PSA. No offense intended, but I have seen SGC 80's and 84's in this auction that were miscut on the back...That just should not be...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Larrie Dean

Default The Saco Auctions

I talked with Troy who told me this (the 4th) was the last auction of this "find"!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie804 View Post
I talked with Troy who told me this (the 4th) was the last auction of this "find"!
delete

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-16-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Saco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Just curious, when is the trove going to end?? Is it just me, but a lot of the T206 SGC graded cards are graded off center.
Some, drastically miscut, especially on the back of the card. Most collectors on this forum preach SGC graded cards, but, when it comes down to buying cards they want for their collection, they prefer to buy only PSA graded cards. Why is this? I list a lot of T206s for sale, and 90% or better wants PSA. No offense intended, but I have seen SGC 80's and 84's in this auction that were miscut on the back...That just should not be...
If you don't like the cards, you don't have to bid on them. You can find off center cards in every auction in PSA and SGC holders. Who cares?? You bid if you like the card.

I had a great time at the auction. Won a few lots and got to hang with my father and Don. If I knew I was bidding against hobby legend Jay Miller, I might have put in another bid on Toad Ramsey...Must have been a good deal....

I think they do a nice job with their auctions...if they did serve beer, I would bid higher....Troy?

Last edited by bigfish; 04-17-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
If you don't like the cards, you don't have to bid on them. You can find off center cards in every auction in PSA and SGC holders. Who cares?? You bid if you like the card.

I had a great time at the auction. Won a few lots and got to hang with my father and Don. If I knew I was bidding against hobby legend Jay Miller, I might have put in another bid on Toad Ramsey...Must have been a good deal....

I think they do a nice job with their auctions...if they did serve beer, I would bid higher....Troy?
Toby. I thought u won the old judge Toad Ramsey! I think that was a tough card. Good luck with your new batch of OJ's. Beer does sound good at the auction. See u in White Plains.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
For me it's easy - I use TPG for the help on things I find hard to see (creases and trimming), and SGC hasn't burned me yet. I get burned with trimmed T206s in PSA holders, and wrinkled PSA 5s, often enough that I try to stick with SGC, which is certainly more generous on centering and corner sharpness -- but those are issues that you can see with the naked eye on a scan. People like to say SGC grades trimmed cards, and makes mistakes in grading, too, but I have been collecting T206s in SGC holders for over 10 years now and have never had a problem. I will still buy PSA graded T206s, but only because there are enough people out there who will blindly take them off my hands if I get burned.

Also, at the grades you are selling your cards at, you are selling to registry folks. That is by definition a group of collectors buying the holder not the card. I don't buy PSA 6/SGC 80 cards. Although I have lucked into a few over the years, the upper limit of my buying is typically done at 5/60. And my pet peeve is spider wrinkles in my 5s. I don't get them in SGC 60s - but I routinely see them in PSA 5s.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-17-2015 at 07:29 AM.