NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2022, 03:48 PM

As someone already mentioned, many people likely view these as nothing more than newspaper clippings. I'm steadfastly in that camp. Can't see any value there. That's not to say enjoyment can't be derived from them.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
As someone already mentioned, many people likely view these as nothing more than newspaper clippings. I'm steadfastly in that camp. Can't see any value there. That's not to say enjoyment can't be derived from them.
Some people do, and to each their own. But that doesn't change the fact many more people do think of them as a collectible, with value. And the rarity of these is beyond question. With their fragility, it is amazing how many have actually survived in decent shape. The fact that Bob Lemke had them included in the old Krause/Sports Collectors Digest catalogs is also proof of them being considered as serious collectibles as well.

However, in the old SCD catalogs they did not list or mention all the different newspapers that did print these Sports Stamps back in 1936. I've never confirmed this, but it seems that in regard to the question of PSA grading Sports Stamps from some newspapers, but not others, I get the impression that PSA only recognizes and grades the specific ones that got mentioned and listed in the SCD catalogs. If that is actually the case, it seems rather odd that a TPG of any size. reputation, and expertise would still have to rely upon a publication that hasn't been around for almost 5 years now to justify what they deem as an acceptable issue to be graded. Especially when all these different Sports Stamps are virtually identical in their formats and how they are printed. The only real difference between them was the name of the newspaper they were printed in.

So why a TPG would grade a Sports Stamp printed in a newspaper that was once listed in the SCD catalogs, but not grade one from one of the other newspapers SCD chose not to list in their catalogs, is beyond me. Anyone at a TPG could probably do a simple 5 - 10 minute online search and quickly find evidence to see that the Sports Stamps from various newspapers that weren't listed in the SCD catalogs are just as real as the ones that were listed.

As I said earlier, it may just go to show that the TPGs do not care as much for pre-war items and collectors as many of us would like to believe. They'll grade Funko Pops, but not take the time nor make the effort to grade all the different versions of Sports Stamps. My guess is that a huge factor in such a decision is that the TPGs will make waaaayyyyy more money grading Funko Pops, going forward, than they could ever hope to from grading a few more Sports Stamps.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM

Thanks to all for comments, background and opinions. I have GREAT news. I received all 4 back from SGC today. All graded, and they received number grades! I have attached pictures of all 4. Let's do a quick comparison.

I sent the stamps to PSA for regular processing ($50 per), they received them on June 14 (logged in), they were shipped back on July 26 as not graded (I wasn't charged).

I subsequently sent the stamps to SGC for regular processing ($30 per), they received them on Aug 1, graded and shipped them on Aug 3, and I received them today, Aug 5.

Wow - what a difference.

Regardless, I now have a reputable source to send my Sport Stamps to for grading. An absolutely amazing process and turn-a-round for SGC.

Any more thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8085.jpg (193.9 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8083.jpg (189.0 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8081.jpg (193.0 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8079.jpg (198.7 KB, 767 views)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They look great!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Bit of a long shot, but if anyone has a Beau Bell please let me know. I'll pay well for most any example.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Bit of a long shot, but if anyone has a Beau Bell please let me know. I'll pay well for most any example.
Sorry, I have several but not this one. If he was an All-Star I would have it as I have them all, or if he was playing for the Cubs instead of the Browns I would probably have it.

Good Luck. Jim
Old 08-06-2022, 06:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks to all for comments, background and opinions. I have GREAT news. I received all 4 back from SGC today. All graded, and they received number grades! I have attached pictures of all 4. Let's do a quick comparison.

I sent the stamps to PSA for regular processing ($50 per), they received them on June 14 (logged in), they were shipped back on July 26 as not graded (I wasn't charged).

I subsequently sent the stamps to SGC for regular processing ($30 per), they received them on Aug 1, graded and shipped them on Aug 3, and I received them today, Aug 5.

Wow - what a difference.

Regardless, I now have a reputable source to send my Sport Stamps to for grading. An absolutely amazing process and turn-a-round for SGC.

Any more thoughts?
babe ruth "temporarily" retired...it says!!!! what a golfer he was!!
Old 08-07-2022, 02:26 PM

Congrats on your SGC grades! These look fantastic graded together. Nice to know there is a place to go for grading sports stamps.

Quote:

Wow - what a difference.

Any more thoughts?
Old 12-18-2022, 09:45 AM

Thank you and good luck if you have any for grading.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

fine by me

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-18-2022, 10:48 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
fine by me
Whoop! Shame on me; hadn't looked at my pic in a while; it's a "Dimag" Restaurant Matchbook (not Diamond); so, it stays. The sport stamp image will work in the space with the COA copy; enhances the overall look of the piece.
I like to show it off when I set up at shows.

Thanks fellas!

Ben
Old 07-30-2023, 11:16 AM
J@mes In.gram

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but...I just bought an old scrapbook, from the year 1936, that according to what I can see from afar, has at least several Los Angeles Examiner baseball Sports Stamps, both loose and fixed. She be arriving this week. At the very least it appears to have "Goose" Goslin, Carl Hubbell, Gabby Hartnett, and Tony Lazzeri. There are others I can't identify, one is perhaps Jimmie Foxx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (197.4 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (179.9 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (179.9 KB, 405 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 07-30-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I hate to dredge up an old thread, but...I just bought an old scrapbook, from the year 1936, that according to what I can see from afar, has at least several Los Angeles Examiner baseball Sports Stamps, both loose and fixed. She be arriving this week. At the very least it appears to have "Goose" Goslin, Carl Hubbell, Gabby Hartnett, and Tony Lazzeri. There are others I can't identify, one is perhaps Jimmie Foxx.
The Sport Stamp thread never gets old!

Great pick up! Let us know what treasures are in there when you get it.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:00 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
The Sport Stamp thread never gets old!
+1

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."