NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Does Baseball Need to be Fixed?

Posted By: Nick

USA Today published an interesting article. I agree on some of their points. I think baseball needs to bring back some of the traditions of its past.

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2003-07-14-focus-improvements_x.htm

Old 07-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...except I hate the "10 batters" idea. The big problem though is "implementation".

Basically, as consumers of the current "baseball product", we submit our vote for it each time we buy a ticket or don't buy a ticket. I've been voting "nay" for years now, as have many other fans - the effect has NOT been that they lower salaries, prices etc. Rather, salaries continue to escalate which, along with fewer seats sold, results in higher prices for tickets, beer, etc. I was stunned last night to hear a radio ad offering a last chance to buy season tickets for remaining games, in the outfield, at the low low discount price of $10 each. Add that to $10 parking and a $7.50 beer and you've got....a football game.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Only $10 to park, what a deal. Pac Bell is $20!

The problem with baseball is the Yankees. They make money and have almost played in every other World Series for the last 80 years. If you go to games you promote higher salaries. If you don't go to games, your team makes less and has more trouble competing against the Yankees.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The Yankees were without a pennant from 1965-1975 and 1982-1995, the latter being the longest dry spell of the franchise since the Babe came over from Boston.

I greatly dislike many aspects of the modern game: the obviously souped-up ball, the drug pumped batters, overuse of relief pitching (situational lefthanders? Not a manly occupation), lack of pitchers dominating the plate, tolerance of lengthy rituals at the plate (watching Nomar Garciaparra ready himself to hit is exceeded in obnoxiousness only by watching Sergio Garcia ready himself to putt), $8 parking, $7 beer, $6 hotdogs, and the proliferation of luxury facilities that separate the first-class citizens from the hoi polloi with walls, metal and glass enclosures (seems to me to be profoundly un-American).

One thing that is not broken about the game relative to the past, however, is competitive balance within the leagues. The modern baseball structure has resulted in far more competitively balanced major leagues than in the golden era. For example, from 1949-1964, the Yankees won the pennant in every year except 1954 and 1959, and the Dodgers were there in 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1959 and 1963. Want further proof: look how many truly s**tty teams are in serious contention for the wild card spot.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I wanna see the DH go away, first and foremost. Next thing that needs to go is all the body armor being worn while batting. Sorry, but if you are gonna hang out over the plate then you better be man enough to take your lumps and not get pissed at the pitcher when he comes inside on you.

I would also like to see a rule instituted where when a player gets hit by a pitch any player that leaves the the area of his designated position is automatically suspended for several games. The same goes for anyone leaving the bench. The big argument about players leaving the bench in this situation is that the batter is outnumbered on the field. With this rule, if a positional player leaves his position, he will be missing a few games and it will help keep the othr team on the bench.

I also want to see the ridiculous warnings after a beaning go away. I have no problem with a retaliation pitch as long as he is not throwing at the head. After teh first retaliation, then warnings should be given and pitchers tossed at that point.

Other complaints lie strictly with how teams/managers handle their players. Specialized relievers are a joke and huge reason for the added length to games. I wouldn't mind seeing a rule requiring a pitcher face a minimum of 3 batters.

Jay