NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Ryan Christoff

Default Thank you from CubanBaseballCards.com!

Today (August 10th) marks the 10-year anniversary of my first auction. The next one (coming soon, I swear!) will be auction number 21. I just wanted to say thank you to all the Net54 members who have bid in my auctions over the years. Some have bid in every one! The past few years have been trying for me personally and I haven't had nearly enough time to devote to doing regular auctions, or even check the board as regularly as I used to. As sporadic as the auctions have been, I appreciate all the board members who have continued to check them out, whether they've placed bids or not. I still find these particular kinds of rare and obscure cards and players to be as fascinating as ever, and I always enjoy the many discussions I've had with board members about them. I plan to continue doing auctions for as long as I can, which means as long as I still have stuff to auction.

Anyway, a big thanks to Leon for running the board, and for all the board members I've come to know and develop friendships with over the years. There are still quite a few of us who have been members of this board (and its evolutionary predecessors) for longer than a decade. My collection wouldn't be what it is today without help from board members and I hope I've helped out some collections in that same way.

So, thanks!!!

-Ryan

P.S. I'd like to clarify that this isn't some B.S. marketing crap or whatever. Also, it's now technically past midnight in Colorado, so it's already the 11th, but you get my point. "10 years and 1 day ago" just sounds clumsy.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Bill Gregory

Hello, Ryan. I'm Bill. Nice to meet you (in a virtual sense, anyways..)

We haven't chatted before, as I am a somewhat new member to the forum, and I've only begun collecting vintage and pre-war cards recently. I'd like to congratulate you on 10 years, and wish you continued success in the future with your business endeavors. I will be registering with several different auction houses in the next few months, and I am sure we will do business soon. I like to dabble in a little of everything, and I am especially intrigued by things that are out of the ordinary, and uncommon.

I look forward to seeing your next auction. Have a great Sunday!!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Al

Congrats, friend. 10 years is a long time. Thanks for being as knowledgeable and helpful a guy as there is in the hobby.

-Al
Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Barry Arnold

Default ryan

congratulations!!
a decade is quite the milestone, as is 21 auctions.
I'm looking forward to seeing #21!!!
all the best,
barry
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizeBringer View Post
Today (August 10th) marks the 10-year anniversary of my first auction. The next one (coming soon, I swear!) will be auction number 21. I just wanted to say thank you to all the Net54 members who have bid in my auctions over the years. Some have bid in every one! The past few years have been trying for me personally and I haven't had nearly enough time to devote to doing regular auctions, or even check the board as regularly as I used to. As sporadic as the auctions have been, I appreciate all the board members who have continued to check them out, whether they've placed bids or not. I still find these particular kinds of rare and obscure cards and players to be as fascinating as ever, and I always enjoy the many discussions I've had with board members about them. I plan to continue doing auctions for as long as I can, which means as long as I still have stuff to auction.

Anyway, a big thanks to Leon for running the board, and for all the board members I've come to know and develop friendships with over the years. There are still quite a few of us who have been members of this board (and its evolutionary predecessors) for longer than a decade. My collection wouldn't be what it is today without help from board members and I hope I've helped out some collections in that same way.

So, thanks!!!

-Ryan

P.S. I'd like to clarify that this isn't some B.S. marketing crap or whatever. Also, it's now technically past midnight in Colorado, so it's already the 11th, but you get my point. "10 years and 1 day ago" just sounds clumsy.
Ryan -

Looking forward to auction #21!! While I haven't bid on any in the past, I have seen some of your items in retrospect when doing Google searches, so I now know to keep an eye out for them. I wish I had been more active a few years ago when all the stuff I needed sold for reasonable prices.

Also, thanks for working with me in the past on a few transactions!! You've helped me greatly in my HOF "rookie" collection!!

Derek

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Thanks for being as knowledgeable and helpful a guy as there is in the hobby.
I second that emotion.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Congratulations Ryan.

2003. Those were carefree days. Steve Jobs was just a young man back then with nothing but a dream, several billion in investment capital and 20% market share. 50/50 chance I'm still wearing the same T-shirt. Let's see . . . No, it says '2004 Seattle Mariners.'

Don't scoff. If I win the Nobel Prize that T-shirt will be worth good money in a Goldin Auction.

As I tell my dad, "If you win a Nobel Prize or shoot the President, your stuff will be worth good money." Then I say, "Here's a physics book. I want to see some theories by the end of the week."

But I digress.

Last edited by drcy; 08-11-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats Ryan.....10yrs is a long time in the auction business. You run some very good ones...Good luck in the future too!!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Congratulations Ryan....I don't have or know much about Cuban cards, but I'm thinking of getting my feet wet.. Let us know when #21 rolls around Dave.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Jimi

Congrats, Ryan, and glad to see you on here again....and hopefully more frequently this time. Thank YOU for opening my eyes up to Cuban stuff back in 2007 with Caramelo Deportivos. It all started with you back then, and I appreciate it!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Mazel Tov Ryan !!!
Best of luck in your future auctions !!!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Todd Schultz

Congrats Ryan--time marches on, as they say.

I think I first met you at the National the last time it was in Anaheim. I know I had a spirited debate with you and Al C. at the hotel bar during the '07 National over who was better, Mantle or Mays, although I don't remember the particulars (my mind was chemically addled by my friend Johnny Walker, but I'm sure I had the better argument, whatever it was).

Looking forward to your next auction and learning more about the card issues and history you favor--please chime in more often.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Todd, I hope it was Johnny Walker Blue. Al loves buying that for anyone that will drink with him.
Here's a story that Ryan won't tell you. In January there was a card show in Anaheim. I set up next to Ryan, but couldn't make it on Sunday. Down the street from me are 2 brothers 13 and 15 that I coached in Pony and live and breathe baseball, and this was their first show. They went on Sunday and met Ryan. Not knowing their connection to me, he talked baseball and cards with them for an hour and hooked them up with a whole bunch of stuff. They are now rabid collectors working on a type set of every player mentioned in The Glory of Their Times.
We all lament the lack of kids in the hobby, but Ryan did something to change that. His parents and I will never forget it.
Here's to another decade Ryan!

Last edited by Griffins; 08-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Congrats Ryan and good luck going forward. Its always great to see someone from the area doing so much for the hobby. Met you long ago at one of the Nationals. Still drooling over that Jose Mendez you had at the time.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 AM

Hey Ryan. Still remember talking to you about the articles you wrote for
Beckett Vintage Magazine back in '02. Had a blast with you at the
National in Anaheim. Thank you for your knowledge, support, and
friendship throughout the years. Sincerest congrats on 10 years and look
forward to your continued success. Hope the family is well and stay
strong.

Best Regards,

Josh
Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Ken Wirt

One of the most knowledgeable folks in the hobby. My early visits to CubanBaseballCards led to my introduction to Net54, way back in ought'4. And I won my Mendez and Willard Brown cards in Ryan's auctions. Look forward to future chances! ~ Ken
Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 PM
J@son M1ller

Good luck, Ryan. You got me hooked on NL and Cuban stuff so I blame you for that and will never forgive you.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As I tell my dad, "If you win a Nobel Prize or shoot the President, your stuff will be worth good money."

But I digress.
I'd like to welcome the NSA to this thread.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Dan Bretta

Ryan's a great guy, but he sure can't identify Joe Jackson in a photo.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Kenny Cole

Ryan was the guy who taught me to buy high and sell low. :-(
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Ryan Christoff

Did I really just get a frowny face?

-Ryan
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Kenny Cole

LOL, the frowny face was actually for me and my buying/selling habits.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Ryan, I know you probably dont remember, in some thread, we didn't agree on my stance of "no way in hell am I gonna support the country of Cuba in any way"(zero tolerance for their .......), but I have bid on your auctions and appreciate chance to get some Cuban stuff.

Good luck

Sincerely
Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Ryan Christoff

Instead of spamming the board with a new thread, I thought I'd just post here and let everyone know that my current auction is now live. After being repeatedly asked at the National when my next auction would be, I finally caved and decided to have one. It ends on Saturday, August 31th at 10:00 pm EST with a 15-minute rule. Plenty of time to register if you haven't already done so.

Here's a LINK TO THE AUCTION.

Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Instead of spamming the board with a new thread, I thought I'd just post here and let everyone know that my current auction is now live. After being repeatedly asked at the National when my next auction would be, I finally caved and decided to have one. It ends on Saturday, August 31th at 10:00 pm EST with a 15-minute rule. Plenty of time to register if you haven't already done so.

Here's a LINK TO THE AUCTION.

Thanks,

-Ryan
All of the other companies posting on the front page are advertisers.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Ryan Christoff

Um, okay? Did I sound like I was complaining about the posts announcing auctions? That's not what I meant. I just felt like since I already had this thread recently, it would feel like spam if I started a whole new thread to announce my auction.

-Ryan
Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Um, okay? Did I sound like I was complaining about the posts announcing auctions? That's not what I meant. I just felt like since I already had this thread recently, it would feel like spam if I started a whole new thread to announce my auction.

-Ryan
Yes, to me it sounded like you were complaining since you said "instead of spamming".
Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Ryan Christoff

That's funny. Glad I clarified it, then. I actually like seeing auction announcements as individual threads. I have no problem with any auction that has ever started a thread to announce their auction. But I haven't been on the board too much in the past few years and almost never start threads. Then I start one, and a few weeks start another one announcing my auction? No. Way to spammy for me. To be honest, I actually thought I was being kind of considerate by not starting a new thread. It would have felt like kind of a dick move to me.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was such a sensitive issue for you, Leon. I will refrain from spam-bashing in the future.

-Ryan
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That's funny. Glad I clarified it, then. I actually like seeing auction announcements as individual threads. I have no problem with any auction that has ever started a thread to announce their auction. But I haven't been on the board too much in the past few years and almost never start threads. Then I start one, and a few weeks start another one announcing my auction? No. Way to spammy for me. To be honest, I actually thought I was being kind of considerate by not starting a new thread. It would have felt like kind of a dick move to me.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was such a sensitive issue for you, Leon. I will refrain from spam-bashing in the future.

-Ryan

No worries. I just sent you a PM to further explain....LL
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Ryan was the guy who taught me to buy high and sell low. :-(
I learned that all on my own.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Ryan Christoff

Unlike the spammy spammers that are always spamming their spam by starting new spam threads to spread their spam, I thought I'd make one final post in this thread to let everyone know that Auction #21 ENDS TONIGHT at 10:00 pm EST with a 15-minute rule.

In fact, I'm no unspammy, I'm not even going to post a link. Find it yourself, suckers!

-Ryan