NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Default I know it's Cobb, but is it Speaker???

I recently purchased a 1930s snapshot photo of Ty Cobb hunting with a group of friends/associates. It measures approx. 5x7 and while the faces are not very large, it is undoubtedly Cobb.

When I received it, my immediate reaction was that Tris Speaker was also in the photo on the far left (I believe Cobb and Speaker were hunting buddies). After digging around for some images, I am fairly certain that it is indeed Speaker, but would like some other opinions.

I am basing this on his face in the image, but also the unique "hunting hat" he is wearing. The first image is mine, followed by enlarged views of Cobb and most likely Speaker. The other photos were off the internet with the last being a photo showing an older Cobb, Speaker and Ruth.

So, in your opinion, is the guy on the far left Tris Speaker?

Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Todd Schultz

Far right. Wait. You changed the pictures, at least on my PC. Never mind.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Hard for me to tell just from your photo but definitely looks like him in the other two posed hunting photos. The unique hat as well as the presence of the other two unidenified men being in all three hunting photos would lead me to believe your suspicions are correct.
Drew
Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Looks like Spoke
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM
David Linardy

Default Spoke

Definitely spoke
Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Wish we could compare the ears, but the shape and feel of the smile combined with the squinting eyes and the prominent fold emanating from under his chin leave little doubt that you nailed it...

trisspeaker.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Paul

Getty images lists this photo under Speaker, and calls it “Baseball Players on a Hunting Trip.” Wonder if the other guys were players, too...

Embed from Getty Images

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 01-23-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Cobb and Speaker were hunting with Max Wilde

Regarding the question above asking if Tris Speaker was in photo with Ty Cobb. He is. Both Cobb and Speaker were involved with hunts with my great uncle, Max Wilde, who is also in the photos. Max homesteaded the Lazy Bar F ranch which is 45 miles SW of Cody, WY. I have numerous photos of Cobb and Speaker on hunts with my uncle along with other baseball greats including Tom Yawkey, Pinkey Higgins and Lefty Grove.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Luke Lyon

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! If you have time, I'm sure a ton of people here would love to see scans of your photos.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Chris Counts

Is that Pinky Higgins standing in between Cobb and Speaker? It sure looks like him.

Last edited by Chris Counts; 02-13-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum and thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcatt View Post
Regarding the question above asking if Tris Speaker was in photo with Ty Cobb. He is. Both Cobb and Speaker were involved with hunts with my great uncle, Max Wilde, who is also in the photos. Max homesteaded the Lazy Bar F ranch which is 45 miles SW of Cody, WY. I have numerous photos of Cobb and Speaker on hunts with my uncle along with other baseball greats including Tom Yawkey, Pinkey Higgins and Lefty Grove.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:21 PM

Default Photo of Cobb, Speaker, Garland Buckeye and Max Wilde

Sorry, replying a little late to this 2018 conversation. Here is a photo of Garland Buckeye, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and my great uncle, Max Wilde from Oct 31, 1927. Max had traveled to the train station to pickup Buckeye, Cobb and Speaker for a 3 week hunting trip. This is a framed art piece in my basement with the original photo and original Associated News Service poster from Oct 1927. Also attached are several photos including Max with Red Sox Mgr Cronin (hats swapped) during the 1946 series, Yawkey, Cobb and guests and Max, Cobb with Max in front of the Cody, WY, Irma Hotel, Max with Lefty Grove and Pinky Higgens and Max with Mickey Cochrane dated 10/31/35 following the Series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wd1.jpg (68.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg wd2.jpg (62.4 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg wd3.jpg (66.0 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by Leon; 08-10-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: rotated images
Old 08-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Jeff R

Default Cool Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcatt View Post
Sorry, replying a little late to this 2018 conversation. Here is a photo of Garland Buckeye, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and my great uncle, Max Wilde from Oct 31, 1927. Max had traveled to the train station to pickup Buckeye, Cobb and Speaker for a 3 week hunting trip. This is a framed art piece in my basement with the original photo and original Associated News Service poster from Oct 1927. Also attached are several photos including Max with Red Sox Mgr Cronin (hats swapped) during the 1946 series, Yawkey, Cobb and guests and Max, Cobb with Max in front of the Cody, WY, Irma Hotel, Max with Lefty Grove and Pinky Higgens and Max with Mickey Cochrane dated 10/31/35 following the Series.
Thanks for sharing your intimate knowledge of the hunting photos and the connection to your great uncle. Threads and posts like this are my favorite part of Net54.
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah, getting an absolute answer to one of these collecting mysteries is a great thing when it happens. Reminds me of an appellate process class I took in law school from former Justice Sullivan of the CA Supreme Court. At one point some issue came up and Sullivan prefaced his reply with "well, when Chief Justice Traynor and I were discussing it before I wrote the opinion..."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...