NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Ben North

Default Anyone Garden?

I am about to harvest some Heirloom Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes for seeds for growing next year. If anybody wants some let me know and I will save some extra to send out to anybody that wants some.

Chocolate Cherry tomatoes have a little less acid and a little more sugar than a red cherry tomato making them super sweet. They are by far the best tasting cherry tomato I have ever had. They are an indeterminate variety.

If you want some PM me your address and I will send you out some for free in a couple weeks when they are ready.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I'll second his recommendation, these are the only tomatoes I eat!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Matthew

I'm an aspiring gardener, but I'm limited to 4-5 hours of sun each day in my southern CA condo. I'm going to try a hanging herb garden, see how it goes
Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Ben North

Anybody else interested in some free tomato seeds? They are drying now and will be ready to ship Nov 3.

To answer a couple frequent questions.
Yes these seeds will still be good in the spring. If stored properly they will last several years.
Plant the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before you plan on putting plants in your garden in the spring.

Last edited by bnorth; 10-29-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Alex

I wish I had the space.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Ben North

Those that asked for seeds yours will go out in the mail tomorrow morning. I still have some extras if anybody else would like some.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 AM
John Hanssen

Sent PM - love to try them and THANKS for the offer
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
Sent PM - love to try them and THANKS for the offer
Never got your PM. Send it again and I will get you some seeds in the mail.

Everybody else your seeds are in the mail.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Got mine today. Thank you, I'm looking forward to spring and giving these guys a try..

http://romahawk.com
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Doug Chamberlain

Package arrived, Ben.
Much appreciation for your time and the gesture!!
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM
pariah1107

Thought some baseball card shop owners would get a kick out of this. I got creative with an old display cabinet with a broken top glass, a child sat on it. It was not worth the replacement costs, so I turned this 6 foot cabinet into a greenhouse. It works surprisingly well with southern exposure, pretty easy to regulate temperature with 5 gallon buckets of cool/warm water. Still growing jalapenos in November, it was 20 degrees yesterday.

Last edited by pariah1107; 11-14-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Eric Nelson

Default tomato seeds

Ben,
count me in. anybody from South Dakota has my vote anyway. My dad's from Viborg, in Turner County. He's long gone now but I was back this summer with daughters to see the old place and visit the descendants.

5289 Winifred Drive
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Eric Nelson

thx
Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifer View Post
Ben,
count me in. anybody from South Dakota has my vote anyway. My dad's from Viborg, in Turner County. He's long gone now but I was back this summer with daughters to see the old place and visit the descendants.

5289 Winifred Drive
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Eric Nelson

thx
Eric I will put them in the mail Monday.

Ty that is a cool way to keep the peppers going a little longer.

Here is a pic, of my greenhouse from last march..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3693.jpg (79.0 KB, 365 views)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 PM
FredYoung

I like to plant, but my girlfriend is a hoer.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Bill Boyd

Fred.........LOL
Only you would come with that.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:43 AM

I love to garden especially giant pumpkins. This one is 1,216 pounds. This year I grew 1,204 lbs. Also grow giant tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.8 KB, 370 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Ben North

I planted and still have some extra seed. If anyone else would like some let me know.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:18 PM
pete ullman

Ben...id love some!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Mike P.ap

Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayl View Post
I love to garden especially giant pumpkins. This one is 1,216 pounds. This year I grew 1,204 lbs. Also grow giant tomatoes.
Beckett has some pretty unique holders and I think you should get this baby graded! I'd say its a 5 due to slightly off centered and the edges are a bit rough but overall it has GREAT eye appeal!!

Peace, Mike

attachment.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 02-06-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Ben North

I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I live in New Jersey the garden state. so I always had a garden . When I moved out my first apartment had a nice garden . I currently for the first time ever do not have a garden . I do mise it fresh peppers and tomatoes.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.
Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!
I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
bi11h00d

Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

I have giant pumpkin seeds available if anyone wants

Last edited by Rayl; 02-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Plum View Post
Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.
Here is a picture of them. The top 3 are ripe and ready to eat. They have a green shoulder(top) when ripe and are a very sweet tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolatecherry.jpg (76.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Ben North

Everyone that has asked for seeds they all went out this morning. If anybody else would like some just ask I have plenty left.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM
shawn

Default Garden

Been gardening off and on for a little bit. Don't have a green thumb but do well growing squash, zucchini, jalapeños, eggplant. The squirrels and bugs got my last tomato's.. We're thinking of trying above ground this year maybe.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.
Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:19 PM
John Hanssen

Seeds got to us just fine and THANK YOU, will be fun this summer growing some new/different things. We will post some things later.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Doug Chamberlain

First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages .

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdugdig View Post
First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages .

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed
One last bump for anybody that would like some seeds this year.

I grow them hydroponically and have had them 30 foot long/tall before. Yes they do like to explode when you bite into them.

A couple tips with tomatoes is water in the morning and not at night and also pick in the mornings before watering.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Ben North

I took Rayl up on the offer of some giant pumpkin seeds and this is were I am at. I am going to give the one pictured hydroponic fertilized and grow it in the pictured 35 gallon plastic barrel full of perlite.

Hoping the weather will let me move it outside in about 2-3 weeks.

Not sure how it will turn out but am hoping for a pumpkin the size if a Volkswagen Beetle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin.jpg (79.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg barrel1.jpg (79.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg barrel2.jpg (79.8 KB, 263 views)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Ben North

Harvested these giant purple asparagus this morning. Don't usually get many this large. The shiny coin is a quarter.

Anybody else got anything growing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AS1.jpg (76.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg AS2.jpg (69.9 KB, 249 views)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

This past Sunday my kids unveiled a path to my wife for Mother's Day. It goes through the woods on our property to her garden below. They each made a stepping stone highlighting their personality and relationship with their mom. My wife was surprised and overjoyed. What a great mother day gift.

As far as the garden below we have a total of six 8 X 12 grade boxes that we gave been working on since last fall. Four of them are planted with blueberry bushes. One we are using for a compost pile (at least until next year) and the other for veggies. Mainly tomatoes but also zucchini, cucumbers and watermelon. We are not a gardening family but so far things are looking great.

Unfortunately I couldn't get any of the chocolate cherry tomatoes to sprout. I hope to try again next year if Ben is willing no to help out again. Thought researched and did things right but apparently I have a lot to learn about planting from a seed.

I'll keep you posted on our progress and maybe post a few pictures here and there.
Drew
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Ben North

Moved the Giant Pumpkin outside and into the 35 gallon barrel today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin1.jpg (82.6 KB, 231 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 PM
pariah1107

Awesome progress, Ben! Love to see this as it grows. Never attempted anything like it but interested, how's the maintenance?

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-25-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Awesome progress, Ben! Love to see this as it grows. Never attempted anything like it but interested, how's the maintenance?
I don't know either, it is my first time trying anything like this. I need to contact member Rayl who I got the seeds from to ask about pruning.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Ben North

The pumpkin plant is growing great. Here is a pic from this morning. I am growing it on a gravel driveway to make it a little more challenging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giantpumpkin.jpg (80.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

My dad is the gardener in the family. He planted some fruit trees several yrs ago.
His plum trees have gone 'wild' this year. So many, that its literally breaking the limbs. We been giving them away in buckets at work and been 'jamming' them up in jars.
We got one of those weekend markets, and he was able to 'trade' for other produce and stuff. No telling what the figs will do, as they been few to none.
As for tomatoes, he decided to go with 'raised beds' His have grown over 8ft tall and keeps them tied to the cages and a trelace so they don't fall and break.
I have not heard of these 'c,hocolate cherry', maybe my dad has, but we live in Georgia, so I don't know about the soil/sun factors on them. We did pick a few cherry of our own. The family likes the big boys. My dad also tried doing a berry garden, think the birds got most of it, he has since put a mesh over the area.
*Please put us down for some chocolate tomatoes**
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 06-19-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
My dad is the gardener in the family. He planted some fruit trees several yrs ago.
His plum trees have gone 'wild' this year. So many, that its literally breaking the limbs. We been giving them away in buckets at work and been 'jamming' them up in jars.
We got one of those weekend markets, and he was able to 'trade' for other produce and stuff. No telling what the figs will do, as they been few to none.
As for tomatoes, he decided to go with 'raised beds' His have grown over 8ft tall and keeps them tied to the cages and a trelace so they don't fall and break.
I have not heard of these 'c,hocolate cherry', maybe my dad has, but we live in Georgia, so I don't know about the soil/sun factors on them. We did pick a few cherry of our own. The family likes the big boys. My dad also tried doing a berry garden, think the birds got most of it, he has since put a mesh over the area.
*Please put us down for some chocolate tomatoes**
Chris I will get some in the mail for you in the next couple days.

Suspicious LOL, your mail carrier will wear rubber gloves after you get my letter.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Ha! I just came upon this helpful hint:

Quote:
Tomato Tip Seedlings benefit from waterings with Epsom salts, use 1 Tbsp of Epsom salts per gallon. Provide even moisture during fruit set and development. Excessive watering can increase fruit size but decrease flavour
Has anyone done this??? Now we typically don't do seeds (except for flowers)
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Ha! I just came upon this helpful hint:

Has anyone done this??? Now we typically don't do seeds (except for flowers)
Pretty much everything you quoted is bad information. Overwatering tomatoes will not give you bigger tomatoes it will give you split tomatoes. Giving plants just Epson salts is not good and that is way too much anyway.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I would be happy to help.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:18 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I use to have a big garden, but it just became to much work. I even sold my troy built tiller this past Spring I have a small area that I plant lettuce throughout the winter, but that's about it.
In this small lettuce area, I planted some Mammoth sunflowers and here how they look this AM as the heads are just starting to form. I plan on just leaving these for the Cardinals that are around my place:

Eight or ten years ago I started my orchard with four Tangerine trees and they are doing well with lots of golfball size fruit that will be ready in December. These trees are on the left in this picture, apple trees down the right:

Then four or five years ago I planted two peach trees, two pear trees, and eight apple trees. I got good peaches this year, but the pear trees didn't even bloom. Growing apples in Florida is quite the trick, the only varieties that do any good are Anna and Dorsett as they require very few hours of freezing temperatures. For the first time I am harvesting a good crop of apples and I've picked at least 40 pounds. The apples are ready now, and there are more on the tree waiting to be picked, some apples on the ground too. One of the pear trees on the front right, the apples are in line on the left:

Since I don't have to go out and weed the garden, I think I might just hang out by the "cement pond" today:

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 06-25-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Thanks guys for the replies. You ALL got some very nice trees!!!! My dad cant wait for our figs to produce. As for our plum trees..He went and picked the green ones that were left, some old lady at the market mentioned she can make wine from those. My dad swapped some jelly he made for her blackberries.
Today my dad, took down some of his tomatoes, and cant wait to plant those choclate ones to arrive. He mentioned them at the market, I don't think they have heard of them.
He does got some nice cucumbers growing. They make a good salad.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-03-2016, 09:59 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Sunflowers now 5.5 feet tall and just starting to flower. The bees are everywhere!
Larry

Old 07-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Ben North

Larry, Very nice looking sun flowers and trees.

Pumpkin plant is growing great. It is getting small pumpkins, got 3 about the size of baseballs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin2.jpg (82.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg pumpkin3.jpg (82.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Update on my seed project (thanks to Ben)--its been 2 weeks and my very 1st poppage.
Hoping for more.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Ben North

Took this picture yesterday. I am down to just this 1 pumpkin on the plant and you can almost watch it grow. It is weird shaped and much larger than a basketball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giantpumpkin1.jpg (78.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

nm

Last edited by Runscott; 08-04-2016 at 11:31 PM.