NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2020, 09:08 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Default Huge mail day! - finally the BIG REVEAL!

HUGE MAIL DAY TODAY! SUPER EXCITED ABOUT IT!

Don't quite have the time tonight to give all the details, so you'll just have to wait a couple days to find out.

In the meantime, the tease...

Scroll down to post 7 to see the card...

Last edited by bounce; 08-14-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default "we got a box!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRJcxMe1zWY
Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 AM
Michael S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I just hope Brad Pitt isn't missing anything!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 08-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

A Steve Novella Pen?
Old 08-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Jeff

I may not sleep!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-14-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Could it be?

1951 Bowman Mantle PSA 8
Old 08-14-2020, 02:39 PM
DR
David R@tliff

7 years...

Seems so short and so long at the same time. This piece of my collecting adventure started in late 2013, just as I was really coming back into card collecting. My interests had really shifted in the late 90s/early 00s to autograph collecting. In person, at shows, I was on the hunt for great signatures for nearly 15 years pretty hard core. It was only after I got married, had kids, just didn't have the time for the in person autograph collecting that I really started getting back into cards.

And it wasn't card from my youth, which was 80s/90s - junk wax era. I started really getting interested in the "all timers" of the game, so naturally I landed in the 1950s and the turn of the century (T206 mostly) eras of cards. I was only a player collector once in my life, for a brief period of time. I otherwise was always a set collector. So as I started looking to collect again, it was obvious I would never be able to complete the Monster of T206s, because when would I realistically ever be in position to acquire the Wagner? That's a ton of cards to compile and not have the crown jewel, but I do subset collect T206 Hall of Famers and that been a satisfying and continuing journey.

As I researched sets of the 50s, 60s, even 70s, I just kept coming back to the 1956 Topps set. As an autograph collector, too, the design of the cards just always appealed to me. The combination of the faces, action pictures and replica autograph just gives the card great appeal. I also normally don't like horizontal poses, but again the combination that comes together in this design just really sets it apart. It also became clear from the pop reports (which was something I knew literally nothing about when I first got back into this) that this was a really popular set with collectors, and arguably might be the most popular set of the 50s? There's around 100 pretty active and/or complete registry sets of 1956s, by comparison there's less than 70 or so 1952s. Obviously some bigger rookie card challenges with the 1952, which likely accounts for the difference. Still, 1956 Topps is a staple of vintage card collecting, and I just decided it was the set for me.

So I started the journey in early 2014, with the intent of building a PSA 6 fully graded set. At 342 cards, it was daunting enough but not so overwhelming that I knew it could be achieved with the right level of focus and price discipline. Somewhere around halfway through building an all 6 set I realized that it was probably going to take longer than I wanted, as I needed more inventory availability to move it along. So at that point I "bit the bullet" and decided I would do combo 6s and 7s. By early 2014, I was coming down to the last 20 or so cards to complete my set, and my avg GPA was about 6.5 - so half 6s, half 7s.

Of course at that point, with the finish line in sight, I don't think it's unusual for set collectors to start thinking about "what's next", because you really need that next project to be lined up. Because of some of the variations within the set like the dated team cards, the gray back and white backs, there is some opportunity to go for a "master". But I've never been a "master set" type of guy. I knew I'd be satisfied with the full 342, however it came together. I ultimately finished up that 6/7 combo set in May of 2015, so not quite 18 months from when I started.

I had met a number of cool collectors along the way, people who were also building the set or other vintage collectors who helped me with my set, I had helped them with theirs as well, as I would frequently buy lots of graded 1956s for the ones I needed and just sell the dupes. So in that final stretch, one of the collectors I had gotten close with was working on a full set in 6s. He needed basically all of my 6s except about 20, and I figured what the heck - let's do this thing in 7s. So I sold roughly half my set, and "started over" so to speak.

At this point I had a huge affection for the set and the cards, was really getting in tune with pop reports and which ones were really tough and which ones were "urban legends" of tough. I was also really familiar with centering issues, minor back scarcity, all the little things you discover about a set when you've dug into all the details. And really - PSA 7s are normally really nice cards, so this set collection was really going to be something. But yet again, trying to get them all in a single grade wasn't keeping me quite busy enough, so of course what do I do? I decide to start a second set of all 8s. Now, the entire set is available to me again, and I know I've taken on a multi-year project. So the second half of 2015 was a really busy time, because when you start a clean slate of 342 cards, and have half a set of another, there is always something available to be had. That's where the discipline matters. Anyone with money can take cards down on buy it nows or bid things up, but I was focused on the cost side and was starting to learn more about eye appeal, I wanted the right combination of both. Let's be serious, how many people would ever really study how well centered my Pedro Ramos was? That's again something I enjoy about set collecting, I can take a little bit of a break from the "eye appeal" discussions and just get a nice looking card and feel good about it - even if the centering is 55/45.

And so the search began to finish a 7 set, and build an 8 set. In hindsight, this was probably not the greatest collecting decision I ever made, I mean why didn't I just replace the 6s with 7s and eventually 7s with 8s? Who can say why we really do this stuff? That's the path I chose, and it continued steadily over the next several years into 2018. At that point, I had become a little bit of a "registry monkey" I have to admit, I was constantly looking at the registry and adding my cards so I could climb the all time list. The registry was also such an easy way to keep my "checklists", and really from that standpoint it is very useful. I ultimately completed the all 7 set in October 2016, again not quite 18 months from the "start" of the reset.

Here's actually a post I put together at that time, because I was pretty pumped to have gotten it done. For anyone who collects these sets, you know as the grade goes up it gets much more difficult - and expensive.

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...mment_11580193

So at that point, October 2016, I'm focused on 8s and 8s only. And things slowed down considerably at that point. If you're really going to make a set of 1956 Topps in all 8s work, you have to have the discipline to not overbid on the commons. Just about all of them available in pretty frequent time frames, but the prices can go all over the place. Registry sets were the rage as well at this time, and there were constantly fights over some of the lower pop commons that would send VCP in a tailspin - or should I say rocket ship. And once it goes for $X, everyone wants $X plus 10-15% for the next one, and so on and so on. You must keep the goal in mind, and I'm just not one to chase price on commons. I just won't do it. Stars and HOFers is a different discussion, but the realistically I don't care if I have the best looking Pedro Ramos in an 8 holder, I'm not paying 2X the average just to knock a card down - at least not until the finish line is in sight anyway. So what went from several cards a month slowed to single digits, sometimes even none, but the chase continued. And considering I had a full set of 7s, no need to be in a hurry.

Until August of 2018 rolls around, and someone posts they have a fully graded NEAR set of 1965 Topps, all 8s and a few 8.5s and 9s. It's missing 5-6 cards including some big guys, but 1965 is my favorite set from that decade and I definitely don't have the appetite to take on 598 new cards from scratch, so... some VCP calculating and wheeling and dealing and I swapped my 1956 set of 7s for the near set of 1965s and I'm back to two sets to finish up - all 8s in both. It was tough retiring that set of 7s from the registry, but the 8s were my focus now and I was really excited to have another set to chase - downgrading 8.5s and 9s to 8s for cash to help me pay for the few missing still from the 1965s. And so the chase continues...

Until FINALLY - August 2020 - TWO YEARS LATER - I got this guy in the mail.

He's the LAST CARD I needed to complete my 1956 Topps Basic set in all PSA 8. According to the registry, I'm tied for 27th all time - can you believe that, 27th?!?! - but it's finally done. I plan to spend some time this weekend going through them all again, I'll come back and add pics of the HOFers, but I'm really excited to just enjoy looking at the cards. It's been a trip, a pretty long one really, but it's been really one of the best parts of my collecting life. I get to see singles all the time, have held tons of really expensive cards that are worth more than my whole set of 8s, but I don't know that I would trade the experience of completing this set (again!) for anything.

And no, I'm not looking to upgrade it. I'm good here. And I'm still working on those 1965s, I just have 1 to go on it, too! So who knows, maybe I'll be back soon...
Old 08-14-2020, 02:46 PM

That's dedication. Congratulations. The set must be amazing to look at in total.

And have to ask, what's the last 1965 you need?
Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 PM

Congratulations David, that is a great accomplishment and a serious commitment, both in time and money. Its amazing that a set from 1956 in all 8's only puts you 27th.... I would think you would be much higher, but I guess there are a decent amount of 9s and 10s running around. Regardless, its a great accomplishment. Enjoy and maybe post some of the biggies for us to see - Mantle, Koufax, Clements, Mays, Aaron, etc?
Old 08-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Awesome accomplishment. That must have felt amazing to find this last card and finally get it in the mail. What's next besides finishing the '65 set since you are close on that one already too?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Enjoy and maybe post some of the biggies for us to see - Mantle, Koufax, Clements, Mays, Aaron, etc?
Thanks Ryan! And you read my mind, you knew these were coming, here you go.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Here's what it looks like all boxed up - booooooo!

It took 4 pics to get them all - holy cow I forgot how big it was all laid out!

Old 08-14-2020, 05:36 PM
DR
David R@tliff

And some of the big boys...

I've always thought Williams was just a stunning card, and this Jackie is also one my favorites

Clemente is a classic, the colors and his smile, so good

Willie and Mickey side by side, the action poses on these are awesome

This quad is very underrated, particularly Ford and Aparicio because they are ALWAYS off center in this set

Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Awesome accomplishment. That must have felt amazing to find this last card and finally get it in the mail. What's next besides finishing the '65 set since you are close on that one already too?
Thanks Andy.

1965 should fall sometime soon, I hope - it's just one card.

I'm in striking distance of a 1954 set in 5/6 grade, I'm down to just a handful there.

I'm maybe 80-85% complete on 1957 Topps Football and 1969 Topps Basketball, and have a 1955 Topps baseball set that I'm not as actively pursuing as the high numbers have been far more difficult to find than I originally thought.

And I have an 80% complete 1975 Topps set, but at 660 cards that's not particularly close, and some of those commons are really tough to find at reasonable prices, so I slow play that one.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:21 PM

Damn!! Pretty awesome
Old 08-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Jay Cee

Very nice and congrats. Last year of the larger standard card size and one of my favorite post war sets. Now you need an unopened wax pack, wrapper, and box.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:00 AM
And.rew Whi.te

An awesome accomplishment - Congrats

I also felt the pull of the '56 set but given my budget it was going to be a mid-grade set with only the HOFers graded but that soon changed with the help of many Net54 board members like Frankbmd (Miss you Frank), Nippy7 and others, my set turned into a partially graded set that is probably nicer than I ever could have imagined. I am now 28 cards away with only commons left and I cannot wait to finish it. Seeing your set laid out like that makes me want to get moving and get it completed right away.

Once again, Congrats on a huge accomplishment.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Super cool set! Were the checklists hard to come by?
Old 08-15-2020, 11:40 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Very nice and congrats. Last year of the larger standard card size and one of my favorite post war sets. Now you need an unopened wax pack, wrapper, and box.
Funny - all three of those have been on my list. The wrappers aren't too expensive, I have just never focused on getting one. The packs are pretty pricey, I've bid a number of times but never came close. The boxes I've seen always had tears and rips in them or also frequently writing, if I was going to get one I would want it to be pretty nice.

But I like the way you're thinking! If anyone on the board has one of these, please reach out!
Old 08-15-2020, 11:43 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
An awesome accomplishment - Congrats
Thanks Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Super cool set! Were the checklists hard to come by?
I don't recall them being super difficult, but I remember the 2/4 checklist being tougher despite pops being relatively similar.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Bounce, I love this post. I love the dedication, the excitement, the discipline and focus. This is truly what the hobby is about and I absolutely love seeing people sharing their journey on what they collect and the reason behind it. I look at card prices now and think to myself how much I wish I had started collecting vintage earlier. I, like you truly started my collecting in very early 1990s and have always been drawn in by modern cards. Just turning 40 this year my focus for my personal collection has shifted towards vintage while I buy and sell modern cards as a hobby business. I am sure when I look back 7 yrs from now I wont remember the prices of 2013 and wont have that regret of not starting sooner. I am sure that I will be happy I started now. My first vintage set is under construction and it may take a lifetime to achieve and that is ok. I am at card #5 of the "520" Monster in PSA 3-4. I have started with HOFers first as they will be the most expensive over time. I also plan to at a minimum add many RCs of great HOFers along the way like Clemente, Mays, Mantle, Aaron and Jackson. Slow and steady wins the race. I think of it in terms of what I was told by a local coin dealer I became friends with. The greatest collections are built over a lifetime. Good luck on building all of your sets!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Jamie

great story... great accomplishment.. thanks for sharing whit the board... i enjoyed the read!
Old 08-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Steve

Very nice -- congratulations and thanks for the posting your adventure. Long-term projects are certainly fun to do and worth celebrating!