NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Jeff Depue

Default T205 How to get rid of tape on back

I picked up some T205s with tape on the back of them. Almost looks like athletic tape, kind of stringy.

Any advice on how to remove it or if that is a bad idea? Thank you for your time and insight.

Jeff
Successful deals w/: awise1187, sycks, icurnmedic, Maj78, Asoriano, Frankish, 3-2-count, TMKenKen, Rdixon1208, CT94122, charlietheexterminator, zoomfest, esehombre, Casey2296, clydepepper, carolenny, Tere1071, ClementeOhFan, JDanos, iwantitiwinit
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Welcome to the boards. This would be considered altering the card. It is better to leave them alone.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Jeff Depue

That’s all I need to hear, thanks!
Successful deals w/: awise1187, sycks, icurnmedic, Maj78, Asoriano, Frankish, 3-2-count, TMKenKen, Rdixon1208, CT94122, charlietheexterminator, zoomfest, esehombre, Casey2296, clydepepper, carolenny, Tere1071, ClementeOhFan, JDanos, iwantitiwinit
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Keith O'Leary

I’ve used a hair drier and tweezers with success in the past.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtdi View Post
+1
Old 08-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
+1
Makes sense but it still seems like a risk of paper loss.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM
D@ve Se@born

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtdi View Post
+1

This is not an alteration as you are removing something that wasn't there during the manufacturing of the card and you are not adding anything to the card to alter it (card stock, coloring, etc.).
Old 08-13-2020, 02:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
+1

This is not an alteration as you are removing something that wasn't there during the manufacturing of the card and you are not adding anything to the card to alter it (card stock, coloring, etc.).
Pen ink? Bubble gum? Paint? Factory wax or gum stains?
Where on the slippery slope do you draw the line, or do you?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Difference of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Speck of dirt? Piece of wrapper? Hair?

I already said where my line is - if it wasn't there originally and you get it off without leaving anything behind (so solvents, bleach, etc. are out) it's fine. I don't know how you remove pen ink or paint without leaving something behind.

Bubble gum, pencil marks, certainly can be removed. We just have a difference of opinion. With your strict interpretation, no card could be removed from a scrapbook without being considered 'altered'. I'd say at least half of the Old Judges have been saved by scrapbook removal (thankfully). They're graded (rightfully) with numerical grades even with evidence of previous adhesion to a scrapbook.

Most card backs have some kind of advertising...they were meant to be seen and read. So I think it's OK to remove a chunk of paper or bubble gum to be able to see the card the way it was intended when it was produced. Just my $0.02

Last edited by OldOriole; 08-14-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Perhaps you’ll get a PM from some of the board members who seem to have “disappeared” but still lurk after being outed. This would seem to be right up their alley.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 PM
Frank Wakefield

Altering cards, shake my head. The tape altered the card... removing the tape is unaltering it, don't ya reckon?

The question asked wasn't 'is removing athletic take from the back of a card altering it?' The question was how to do it.

The hairdryer, tweezers maybe, lots of patience... consider a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the end of a Q-tip to gently tease the tape bits and GRADUALLY see if it releases a bit.

Now, I can see some validity in offering such a card that has been coaxed back to a more original state as unaltered when you know it was, validity in perceiving that is unethical. I agree with that. But we're not talking about reconstructing a card, teasing paper fibers back onto it, restoring ink, and such. This is removing tape that wasn't on there to start with.

If I spill a drop of coffee onto a white border tobacco card that's laying nearby, that card will instantly get soaked by me. You guys that think you have no soaked T206s in your collections are deceiving yourselves; most of those cards were soaked at some point 2, 3, or 4 generations ago.

So try the hairdryer, try a nonpolar solvent, going VERY gently and slowly. Then don't send the card off to be graded, just keep it in your collection.

I'm gonna alter a few dirty dishes then go to bed.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-14-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:33 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I don't see a difference in removing tape from removing glue or scrapbook paper, which has been discussed in many threads here.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
Speck of dirt? Piece of wrapper? Hair?

I already said where my line is - if it wasn't there originally and you get it off without leaving anything behind (so solvents, bleach, etc. are out) it's fine. I don't know how you remove pen ink or paint without leaving something behind.

Bubble gum, pencil marks, certainly can be removed. We just have a difference of opinion. With your strict interpretation, no card could be removed from a scrapbook without being considered 'altered'. I'd say at least half of the Old Judges have been saved by scrapbook removal (thankfully). They're graded (rightfully) with numerical grades even with evidence of previous adhesion to a scrapbook.

Most card backs have some kind of advertising...they were meant to be seen and read. So I think it's OK to remove a chunk of paper or bubble gum to be able to see the card the way it was intended when it was produced. Just my $0.02

Home Run
Old 08-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
With all due respect, the only slippery slope is the one you are traversing. Your question has been answered over and over. Just read the thread.

Those items you mentioned are black and white non-alterations to many, if not most, of us.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

So removing gum and wax stains with lighter fluid is a black-and-white non-alteration? I didn't think that was the industry consensus. Or only through distilled water soaking and it just happening to disappear on its own? Removing paint and ink (which would require bleaching) is also a non-alteration?

Not picking at you, sincerely confused. I realize that water-soluble glue (common in the scrapbooks of the pre-war era) disappears with a proper soaking and is not considered an alteration. But this adhesive that the OP seems to be talking about does not seem to be water soluble. That's why I was trying to determine the line.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:58 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default You may want to try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Altering cards, shake my head. The tape altered the card... removing the tape is unaltering it, don't ya reckon?

The question asked wasn't 'is removing athletic take from the back of a card altering it?' The question was how to do it.

The hairdryer, tweezers maybe, lots of patience... consider a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol on the end of a Q-tip to gently tease the tape bits and GRADUALLY see if it releases a bit.

So try the hairdryer, try a nonpolar solvent, going VERY gently and slowly.
To the OP...if you want to give it a try, I think Frank's approach would be a good way to try. I would stress the patience part for sure.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So removing gum and wax stains with lighter fluid is a black-and-white non-alteration? I didn't think that was the industry consensus. Or only through distilled water soaking and it just happening to disappear on its own? Removing paint and ink (which would require bleaching) is also a non-alteration?

Not picking at you, sincerely confused. I realize that water-soluble glue (common in the scrapbooks of the pre-war era) disappears with a proper soaking and is not considered an alteration. But this adhesive that the OP seems to be talking about does not seem to be water soluble. That's why I was trying to determine the line.
If he uses water it's ok, anything else, not ok in my book.
I have never said or thought anything you mentioned is ok. I use distilled water and a Q tip or Mars Plastic Eraser....those are it. So yes, if someone is using lighter fluid or any kind of solvent, I am not for that. If I ever said something that seemed contrary, I would like to see what I wrote. But I don't recall ever saying that because I don't believe it.
There is no slippery slope for me....maybe others...to each their own I guess. Just don't commit fraud.

I should also mention that solvents probably aren't good for long term paper fiber care and I think that could easily harm cards over time...

Last edited by Leon; 08-15-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If I ever said something that seemed contrary, I would like to see what I wrote.
The way I read post 14, it seemed contrary. That's why I asked for clarification.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The way I read post 14, it seemed contrary. That's why I asked for clarification.
I see what you mean. I didn't communicate that correctly.