NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2024, 05:17 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Why aren’t slabs more resistant to scratching/cracking/breaking?

The title says it all. Grading companies have improved visuals, apps, etc, but the slab material hasn’t improved. I have seen stories of slabs being damaged over the years, while I cracked a slab once by accidentally dropping it on a table

The only exception is Beckett. You could survived Armageddon by building a bunker of Beckett slabs
Old 02-01-2024, 06:06 AM

...to increase their odds of your wanting to resubmit for more profit because of some scratches that won't buff out? They don't see it as a problem that needs fixing.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:43 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Do some people use those grading bag sleeves those plastic Mylar bags that go around their slabs to protect them still? I always thought that was a good idea. Some people are just careless with the way they handle their slabs.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:14 AM
pete ullman

because that would cost them $$$$$$$...and they only want to make $$$$$.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:32 AM
Ben North

That is why we need a slab to protect the slab we are using to protect the slab that is protecting the slab that is protecting the original slab that contains our precious card.

Or you could just order your own higher grade PSA slabs made to exact specifications from one of many suppliers in China.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:38 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Do some people use those grading bag sleeves those plastic Mylar bags that go around their slabs to protect them still? I always thought that was a good idea. Some people are just careless with the way they handle their slabs.

I use them still for the few slabs I do have. I’ve seen some slabs scratched to hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2024, 08:20 AM
Fred

There are sleeves for slabs. Most AHs send the slabs in those sleeves. I used to discard the sleeves but now I keep the slabs in the sleeves but it makes for sloppy storage.

now say this 5x quickly - slabbers sleeving slabs sloppily
Old 02-01-2024, 09:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

There are only a few materials that are clear, inexpensive, easily formed, and light.

All of them are somewhat easily scratched.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
There are only a few materials that are clear, inexpensive, easily formed, and light.

All of them are somewhat easily scratched.
Yup. So use the sleeves, there are some great ones out there. Or if you buy a slab that has scratches, most can be greatly improved with Novus 2.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:20 AM

I have all my graded cards in sleeves. And I'm going to tell you the best sleeve company available (I have no relationship with them) is called "Superior Fit Innovations", based out of British Columbia. Check out their website in the link, I can firmly attest that they are great!

"Superior Fit Innovations"
https://www.superiorfitsleeves.com
Old 02-01-2024, 10:53 AM
Mark

I feel like this same argument could be made for modern vehicle headlights.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealme View Post
I feel like this same argument could be made for modern vehicle headlights.

LOL, and why is it almost always just the drivers side headlight?
Old 02-01-2024, 01:13 PM
Rob

PSA and SGC use Crystal Polystyrene, it's inexpensive and not very durable.
Beckett uses (or at least used to)Poly Carbonate, more expensive but its super durable in comparison.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
I have all my graded cards in sleeves. And I'm going to tell you the best sleeve company available (I have no relationship with them) is called "Superior Fit Innovations", based out of British Columbia. Check out their website in the link, I can firmly attest that they are great!

"Superior Fit Innovations"
https://www.superiorfitsleeves.com
I have repeatedly had issues with their SGC sleeves being too small. Shellz are better IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:55 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It's pretty easy to remove scratches from a slab using some polish. Although I don't know how the purists would feel about that? Probably a big no-no! Might get your name and pics posted somewhere with the word "FRAUDSTER" plastered next to it!
Old 02-01-2024, 03:56 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It's pretty easy to remove scratches from a slab using some polish. Although I don't know how the purists would feel about that? Probably a big no-no! Might get your name and pics posted somewhere with the word "FRAUDSTER" plastered next to it!
What kind of polish do you use? I used some white toothpaste that had baking soda in it and rubbed it on with a microfiber cloth and worked pretty well.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
The only acceptable method is soaking them in virgin spring water from Icelandic glaciers.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-01-2024, 04:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
The only acceptable method is soaking them in virgin spring water from Icelandic glaciers.
I bought a 16ox bottle of that for $8.99 off the internet. When it arrived I looked at the ingredient list. It said Source: Houston TX municipal water.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
What kind of polish do you use? I used some white toothpaste that had baking soda in it and rubbed it on with a microfiber cloth and worked pretty well.
Not sure. I think maybe Mcguire's? It's for my car. Bought it at an auto parts store. Any polish should work though. If it says it's for headlights, that's probably ideal?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not sure. I think maybe Mcguire's? It's for my car. Bought it at an auto parts store. Any polish should work though. If it says it's for headlights, that's probably ideal?
Novus Plastic Polish No. 2 works well in my experience. PSA generally easier to clean up than SGC.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRock View Post
Beckett uses (or at least used to)Poly Carbonate, more expensive but its super durable in comparison.

I would love to know how you found that out?
I've made some brief attempts at it, but figured it would be closely held as a trade secret so I didn't put much effort into it.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:11 AM
Ben North

Kinda off topic but how close are we to being able to easily 3D print our own PSA slabs at home? I know nothing about 3D printing so curious.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:35 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yup. So use the sleeves, there are some great ones out there. Or if you buy a slab that has scratches, most can be greatly improved with Novus 2.
Yep - Have used Novus for several years on every slabbed card I buy - Once done with the NOVUS - then into a new Slab Sleeve

If the slab is simply scratched (or needs cleaning) and isn't a complete disaster the Novus 3 Step process will improve the aesthetics considerably.

https://novuspolish.com/products/2-o...tic-polish-kit
Old 02-05-2024, 08:06 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Kinda off topic but how close are we to being able to easily 3D print our own PSA slabs at home? I know nothing about 3D printing so curious.
Assuming you'd want to be able to see through it, that's not happening
Old 02-05-2024, 08:19 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Assuming you'd want to be able to see through it, that's not happening
LOL, they can 3D print camera lenses.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:49 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
LOL, they can 3D print camera lenses.
I thought you were kidding, but apparently not: https://formlabs.com/blog/creating-c...eolithography/
Old 02-05-2024, 10:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Beat me to it.

It's not simple, and 3d printing at the hobby/homeowner level isn't fast, but it does do some amazing things.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

This stuff is fantastic for cleaning light scratches and sometimes worse out of slabs:

As to the question on the whole, I don't think it's so much that the graders don't use durable materials, it's just that people are careless as hell with their slabs. Easily one of my hobby pet peeves, when I buy something that looks good in the pic on eBay, but then a week later the slab arrives looking like someone used it as a cutting board in their kitchen. Invest in some Superior Fit sleeves, people.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-05-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:55 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default I was in plastics...

And this statement is partially correct
Quote:
The solution to the original poster's question on how to improve a slab's durability, etc., would be to utilize polycarbonate but with a scratch resistant coating. This is truly an expensive solution, but really the only solution in the manufacturing process to create the most durable clear slab.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Novus Plastic Polish No. 2 works well in my experience. PSA generally easier to clean up than SGC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
This stuff is fantastic for cleaning light scratches and sometimes worse out of slabs:

As to the question on the whole, I don't think it's so much that the graders don't use durable materials, it's just that people are careless as hell with their slabs. Easily one of my hobby pet peeves, when I buy something that looks good in the pic on eBay, but then a week later the slab arrives looking like someone used it as a cutting board in their kitchen. Invest in some Superior Fit sleeves, people.

Are you guys talking about applying chemicals to a slab? Is that altering the slab? Isn't that a bad thing? That's a chemical being applied to the plastic that houses the card - NOOOOOO!!!!

Hey, I'm just kidding!!!
Old 02-07-2024, 03:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Novus

This is what I use.

As for why the plastics aren't more scratch-proof? The answer to these type questions is usually "money".

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Yep - Have used Novus for several years on every slabbed card I buy - Once done with the NOVUS - then into a new Slab Sleeve

If the slab is simply scratched (or needs cleaning) and isn't a complete disaster the Novus 3 Step process will improve the aesthetics considerably.

https://novuspolish.com/products/2-o...tic-polish-kit
Old 02-07-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I would love to know how you found that out?
I've made some brief attempts at it, but figured it would be closely held as a trade secret so I didn't put much effort into it.
About two minutes with an FTIR and you would know. Easy peasy.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel View Post
About two minutes with an FTIR and you would know. Easy peasy.
That's true.

So you have access to an FTIR machine? Lots of questions out there that could be answered.
The stamp guys are using xrf and sometimes one other, But the sample area isn't usually big enough to get info without having to wreck an already damaged stamp as a reference (Like to have the data for the paper so it can be backed out of the overall stamp leaving the spectrum for the ink.)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:47 AM
Dan Bl@u

1. Crack card out of slab.
2. Throw away slab.
3. No more scratches on slab.
4. Enjoy card.

That's my method, though I acknowledge it's not for everyone.

Otherwise, I agree Meguiars is good on slabs, I also use that for refinishing guitars.

Last edited by Bliggity; 02-08-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
That's true.

So you have access to an FTIR machine? Lots of questions out there that could be answered.
The stamp guys are using xrf and sometimes one other, But the sample area isn't usually big enough to get info without having to wreck an already damaged stamp as a reference (Like to have the data for the paper so it can be backed out of the overall stamp leaving the spectrum for the ink.)
I think that what I might try for the stamp concern is a scanning electron microscope with an EDAX attached. Unless the stamp was oversized you shouldn't have to damage it. Reference would be important for that application as I don't think I could put the composition together from an elemental scan as I don't know enough about the stamp paper composition/ glue backing/ ink top coats in that industry. You might need a combination of tools. The Smith's Detection ATR FTIRs are great, but you would probably crush a portion of the stamp.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel View Post
I think that what I might try for the stamp concern is a scanning electron microscope with an EDAX attached. Unless the stamp was oversized you shouldn't have to damage it. Reference would be important for that application as I don't think I could put the composition together from an elemental scan as I don't know enough about the stamp paper composition/ glue backing/ ink top coats in that industry. You might need a combination of tools. The Smith's Detection ATR FTIRs are great, but you would probably crush a portion of the stamp.
The work that's being done is impressive so far.

"the plates wore out too fast because the pigment was rust"
Xref says..... no iron present. And by the way brown, red brown and dark brown are chemically identical.....

I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of thing applied to maybe brown/black Lenox, or Blue Old mill.

I can make some guesses about the paper composition, but things were weird back around 1910. Lots of technology changes both in papers and inks.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:40 PM

I don't care that they scratch or break.
I just want them to be made with a UV blocker....
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 02-09-2024, 06:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbond View Post
I don't care that they scratch or break.
I just want them to be made with a UV blocker....
Agreed. To me this is just the graders being cheap. Also given the grade of plastic they use, I would imagine they haven't found a great way to put the UV coating on and keep it looking decent.

Many of the magnetic cases (UltraPro, ProMold) do have UV protection and that is good, but you can always see at least a light film on the cases and junk sometimes from that if you hold them in a certain light. Again my guess is that PSA, et al. haven't found a way yet to make that suit their budget. The plastic that UltraPro uses is slightly thicker and would seem to be of better quality.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-09-2024 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Polycarbonate blocks essentially all UV we would be concerned with.
Polystyrene blocks about 98%

So both are effective UV blocking materials.

Even toploaders block some UV, although the older ones are readily damaged by it they do protect the contents.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. To me this is just the graders being cheap. Also given the grade of plastic they use, I would imagine they haven't found a great way to put the UV coating on and keep it looking decent.

Many of the magnetic cases (UltraPro, ProMold) do have UV protection and that is good, but you can always see at least a light film on the cases and junk sometimes from that if you hold them in a certain light. Again my guess is that PSA, et al. haven't found a way yet to make that suit their budget. The plastic that UltraPro uses is slightly thicker and would seem to be of better quality.
Besides making it a better product, I always thought it would be a good business investment for the grading company. Back when I collected comics, I marveled that you could have a slabbed NM comic that had since suffered significant fading while in the slab. Slabs, and their labeled grades, are effectively advertisements for the grading company, and a faded card should have a matching grade if we want to trust the grading company.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/