NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-08-2021, 05:16 PM

Default 3rd clear one

Yes, it was me. I was holding off on this post until I had the card in hand and it was paid for. I had actually written up something last month but decided to wait before posting in on this board. Now that it's paid for I am happy with how everything worked out and wanted to share "the rest of the story" (even though there isn't really that much more to add) for anyone that is interested.

Anyway, here is the timeline... once David posted the picture of the 3rd graded clear one here on Net54 (in post #195 at 4:24 pm on Friday 9/24), I went back to FB and this time was able to see a public post by the card shop owner showing the card. I messaged the owner Friday evening, gave him my personal email and asked if he was interested in selling. Saturday morning a little after 10 am I received response that "the card is hitting the market today. 15k obo." Within a half hour or so, I made a low ball offer but he said no he already had an offer @ 12k. After some back and forth I told him I could do 13k and call in payment that day if he wanted an easy sale and he accepted. By the time David and Ben posted (#202, #203) late Saturday morning it was already a done deal. It is by far the most I have ever spent on a card, but for me there isn't a card I would want more.

So that is the story. After that it wasn't hard to follow up on the other RJ's in the hand collated sets - which made things even better with those blue stencil cards. Whether the deal is crazy to others or not, I guess it doesn't really matter -- there are plenty of things I don't understand why people spend their money on (I guess I already mentioned why the whole thing made sense to me back in post #211). I can't put into words exactly how or why this clear version is so fascinating to me but it is.

Of course, there was some pain involved here too... over the last month and a half I sold almost half my PC to make this happen. Having the heads up about this card from statfreak101 before it was graded/listed gave me time to mentally prepare/work through what I would be willing to "sell/trade" for it so I could make a quick move on the card when it was listed (and for that I am very grateful).

So that's it... I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. For anyone interested here are pictures of my two clear cards side by side - together in the same scan.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (76.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (68.5 KB, 243 views)
Old 11-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5838 View Post
Yes, it was me. I was holding off on this post until I had the card in hand and it was paid for. I had actually written up something last month but decided to wait before posting in on this board. Now that it's paid for I am happy with how everything worked out and wanted to share "the rest of the story" (even though there isn't really that much more to add) for anyone that is interested.

Anyway, here is the timeline... once David posted the picture of the 3rd graded clear one here on Net54 (in post #195 at 4:24 pm on Friday 9/24), I went back to FB and this time was able to see a public post by the card shop owner showing the card. I messaged the owner Friday evening, gave him my personal email and asked if he was interested in selling. Saturday morning a little after 10 am I received response that "the card is hitting the market today. 15k obo." Within a half hour or so, I made a low ball offer but he said no he already had an offer @ 12k. After some back and forth I told him I could do 13k and call in payment that day if he wanted an easy sale and he accepted. By the time David and Ben posted (#202, #203) late Saturday morning it was already a done deal. It is by far the most I have ever spent on a card, but for me there isn't a card I would want more.

So that is the story. After that it wasn't hard to follow up on the other RJ's in the hand collated sets - which made things even better with those blue stencil cards. Whether the deal is crazy to others or not, I guess it doesn't really matter -- there are plenty of things I don't understand why people spend their money on (I guess I already mentioned why the whole thing made sense to me back in post #211). I can't put into words exactly how or why this clear version is so fascinating to me but it is.

Of course, there was some pain involved here too... over the last month and a half I sold almost half my PC to make this happen. Having the heads up about this card from statfreak101 before it was graded/listed gave me time to mentally prepare/work through what I would be willing to "sell/trade" for it so I could make a quick move on the card when it was listed (and for that I am very grateful).

So that's it... I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. For anyone interested here are pictures of my two clear cards side by side - together in the same scan.

Steve
That is great that it ended up with someone who really wants to own it. Congratulations on a amazing card.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:28 PM

amazing! thanks for sharing those pics
Old 11-08-2021, 08:01 PM

Absolutely awesome, I'm glad the card is going to a good home and a true collector! Congrats Steve!!!
Old 11-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Ben North

Was digging through piles of cards today and found this cool Randy Johnson. It is the corrected version with the color bar still attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbF.jpg (67.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg cbB.jpg (70.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 11-11-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Tags
1980's, 1989 fleer, error cards, randy johnson, variations