NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Travis Anderson

Any feelings on whether or not this is authentic and not a reprint? Going one step further (and after lurking this board a bit and following already posted advice)...when it really comes down to it, how can you tell a reprint from an original?

Thanks!
Travis

Oops! Guess I should post the link, huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5238003548&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: gnuche

Card looks authentic but possibly trimmed on bottom

Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Bryan Long

Telling a reprint from an original only takes practice. You need to have real ones before you can tell the fakes ones. After you have seen enough real ones the fakes just jump out at you - and I am sure most people on this board will tell you - if your gut is telling you it is a fake, listen because most of the time your gut is right. Finding a great deal on ebay or anywhere else right now is not easy and only happens to the .5% of the lucky people in the world.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

It looks as if the seller may have cropped the image a bit too tight. I would request an image tha show all four sides and corners. Just my opinion - the top and bottom edges appear to be cropped and it is probably just an honest mistake. Lots of people aren't very adept at using graphics programs.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: jay behrens

The card looks real, but the top is definately trimmed. It has bat ears and the abrupt angle I spoke of in another thread. The bottom was obviously cropped off. With thr top obviously trimmed, whether the bottom is trimmed or not doesn't really matter any more.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

I requested scans of the front and back of the Joss card. What I received were two seperate scans. The front scan was cropped too tight at the top and bottom. The back scan pretty much shows the actual sides and corners without being cropped. At $50 it's a good deal!

Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Ted Sherman

Those are 2 diffrent cards, look at the corner for Christ's sake!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: zach

Ted- it's the same card but the scan of the front is just cropped on the top and bottom as stated above.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Ted Sherman

I cant even see the prevelant bat ears on the second pic on the top, and the bottom, though it could be cropped in the first pic, looks like the corners are diffrent. Well, I would be staying away.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

The seller has 366 feedbacks with no negatives -

I measured the pixel width and it appears to be the same width for both scans.

I think the seller is probably going to leave a little proverbial cash on the table because he provided a poor representative scan of the card in the ebay item description. The scan provided gives the card the appearance of being trimmed, so a lot of people will probably stay away from the auction based on their impression of what the scan represents - a trimmed card.

What's a G-VG Joss portrait going for these days?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

I don't know if it's the same card in both scans. The top certainly could be, but he would have had to crop a lot off the bottom to get the bottom taht square with as round as those corners are on the back scan. It may be good, but from what you shown us so far, it looks really bad.

Jay

Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

At the risk of not trying to appear too obsessive with the subject I contacted the seller and asked for a better scan of the front of the card. It's on a blue background.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: scott ingold

Corners are nowhere near the same.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

makes you wonder if the seller tried to crop the card to make it look better than it really is. If the corners weren't so round on the top, he would have effectively hidden the it and people would have thought they were bidding a nhigh grade card. He obviously knows how crop and us the edit features of his scanner.

Jay

Old 09-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

The card appears to have been won by the originator of this thread for $64. Do people think he got a good deal on the card?

Old 09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Anonymous

Based on the blue background scan $64 would be a pretty good deal, especially the way VG HOF cards are selling recently. Adam B.

Adam B

Old 09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: identify7

I think the image quality and color are better than most VGs.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: T206Collector

Great deal. Another example of a bad scan driving away bidders.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Default An Authentic?

Posted By: Travis

I'm glad the consensus is it was a good deal.

To be completely honest, I was so busy with work the last two days and so focused on this one card, I didn't come to the forum to review advice in the tread I posted...so much for relying on all those years of experience, LOL.

Additionally, thanks for the the resultant discussion. It gave me quite a bit of insight in what to look for when all you have is pics posted in the auction or pics from an individual (I asked for additional pics as well, though didn't get the ones on the blue background).

Great experience and great advice. This is an excellent forum!

Travis