NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 2017 Astros Memorabilia

Given that Justin Turner, Mike Trout and others are trying to make us feel like this is right up there with the Black Sox scandal, can I expect my 2017 Astros Memorabilia to start sky-rocketing in value?

How about individual player-signed baseballs with inscriptions: "I'm sorry I cheated" ?

(Or put the '?' at the end of the inscription)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:45 PM

There's no mystique with these guys. They admitted they cheated. There's no shroud of mystery over who did what. There's no penny pinching owner to motivate what happened. There's no mob angle. Just a bunch of guys who didn't think they were good enough to win on their own. Not a lot to invest in there.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:01 PM

I was seriously expecting to see a trash can lid, a piece of wood, a pair of binoculars, a buzzer, duct tape and a remote control when I saw this thread title.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 02-19-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-19-2020, 03:04 PM

Joe Jackson's mystique is about what could have been / what he did or didn't do. Buck Weaver's mystique swirls over what he did or didn't do. The rest of the guys are infamous by association / participation in a mob driven enterprise.

Last edited by packs; 02-19-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Just a bunch of guys who didn't think they were good enough to win on their own.
Do you think the Yankees signed Cole because they didn't think they were good enough to win without him? No, they did it to better their chances. Same reason the Astros cheated.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Do you think the Yankees signed Cole because they didn't think they were good enough to win without him? No, they did it to better their chances. Same reason the Astros cheated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2020, 04:27 PM
Banned

another astros fan who's tired of hearing about how his team's world series rings are tarnished. all the sarcastic posts in the world won't undo the fact your boys felt they needed to cheat to win.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Heard a line here on NY talk radio Yankees win Championships they dont whine about them. Opening day just around the corner let's play some ball. 2017 was a long time ago..
As for memorabilia the GT marketing houston show has all the Astros stars I might send in a couple balls and see if I can get an "I Cheated" inscription. But I am not counting on it...
Old 02-20-2020, 09:12 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I think a signed trash can lid (aluminum in black sharpie) would be a cool item!.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Brendan Mullen

are trying to make us feel like this is right up there with the Black Sox scandal

I can't be the only one that thinks it's close can I??
Old 02-20-2020, 12:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
are trying to make us feel like this is right up there with the Black Sox scandal

I can't be the only one that thinks it's close can I??
it's not up there, it's much worse since it went on for several years and alot more people are complicit in the cheating (including the weak commisioner who can't levy a fair punishment).

edit to add: mlb was trying to make this go away because tbh many other teams are pushing the edge in a similar way. it's just the astros went too far and it doesn't help how smug and unlikeable their whole team is ownership on down.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 02-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:07 AM
Mikeknapp

Great read here
https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/606850/

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 AM
Rob

Default 'Stros

I heard Reddick and Tony Kemp didn't do it? Do their cards go up or down?

I think 50 years from now Altuve cards go up up up...
Old 02-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not an Astros fan, but I have a hard time getting worked up over this.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that the "crime" wasn't sign stealing itself, but using technology to do it.

A few things also come to mind.
In one of Jerry Remys books, I think it was watching baseball, he gave a rough outline of Variteks sign system, which varied by inning and situation at a minimum, and involved math using a number from the scoreboard.
Seems like that wouldn't be an easy system to crack.
If someone is still using the one finger/two fingers thing, they're pretty much asking for trouble technology or not.

None of the other teams put 2+2 together on the trash can banging? So that code must have been complex as well, or someone would surely have picked up on it. Especially in pro sports where they now analyze everything looking for tendencies they can exploit. Like if a pitcher goes to a certain pitch on a 2-2 count 80% of the time.
In a way nobody noticing for a couple years is pretty sad.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:25 PM

If you read the reports plenty of teams noticed something strange was going on and plenty of teams shared their suspicions with each other. It was not confirmed until Fiers made his statement.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Brian Macdonald

Astros Fire Trash Can Responsible For Sign-Stealing Scandal

HOUSTON, TX—In response to the MLB investigation into the Houston Astros organization, owner Jim Crane has announced that the organization is firing the trash can ultimately responsible for the sign-stealing scheme.

After parting ways with their manager and general manager, Jim Crane felt that he did not go far enough to root out the problem. "GM Jeff Luhnow and Manager AJ Hinch did not stop the problem. Yes, players took part as well. But they weren't actually communicating signs like the trash can was. To truly stop the problem, he needed to be gone."

Despite the lengthy tenure with the organization, the trash can's punishment was swift and unforgiving. "I've served the organization from the Lastros days until the championship days. I only wanted to help us win, no matter the cost," he mentioned in a statement. The trash can gathered his belongings, which were mostly trash, and walked out of Minute Maid Park for the last time, a "walk of shame."

Other teams around the league are implementing new processes to ensure no other trash cans have the opportunity to communicate signs to hitters.

https://babylonbee.com/news/astros-f...ealing-scandal