NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Michael Allen

Default WANTED: Willie Mays to sign my 1960 NL Ball

Any help in advance will be much appreciated.

I would like have Willie Mays sign my newly acquired 1960 N.L. team signed baseball. It's my understanding he is not in the best health, eye sight is getting poor, and does very limited signings. The ball has very strong autos on it but the Mays is stamped. I thought how great would be to get him to sign this ball to complete a great piece.

If anyone can give me a lead for someone to contact or if they are aware of any signings in 2015 i could inquire about I would appreciate it, please send me a PM.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 NL signed Ball_Mays Stamp.jpg (72.0 KB, 696 views)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Willie is doing a limited signing next month. Cards only 325 per. Sold out quickly.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Michael Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Willie is doing a limited signing next month. Cards only 325 per. Sold out quickly.
I sent you a PM concerning the details.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Add to that, he would sign it right across the autographs you already have on it with no concern for your collectible or value. He would probably sign over two names on the sweet spot and roll it back towards you.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Michael Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Add to that, he would sign it right across the autographs you already have on it with no concern for your collectible or value. He would probably sign over two names on the sweet spot and roll it back towards you.
Would he or has he done things like that in the past? I've heard stories of him purposely smearing his own auto, but I don't have any experience with him.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 PM

I wouldn't even try and add him. His signature has gotten worse and he could care less about any item he signs.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Michael Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
I wouldn't even try and add him. His signature has gotten worse and he could care less about any item he signs.
I sent the promoter an email. Oddly enough they had a few people back out as recent as yesterday and it looks like they have a few spots available (this is yet to be confirmed). It seems like an uphill battle, but if this happens what a great addition.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Matt

I got willie a few weeks back . I don't think he can see much at all .. He had someone hand him the ball, then he would kind of feel for the laces and sign. He signature was better than I expected it to be .. With that being said , I would not risk having him trying to sign that ball.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.9 KB, 661 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
I got willie a few weeks back . I don't think he can see much at all .. He had someone hand him the ball, then he would kind of feel for the laces and sign. He signature was better than I expected it to be .. With that being said , I would not risk having him trying to sign that ball.
Matt
Hi Matt,

That Mays looks much better than I would have expected. Can I ask why it's signed in sharpie? Did you have a choice, or did his keepers just hand him the sharpie?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Mike P.ap

Default sorry

to be a naysayer as well but if you send that baseball to Mays, you will get it back and you will NOT be happy. As great a player as he was, he will destroy that baseball. For one, there is no room on the ball for him to sign so he will take it in hand and give a very nice Mays signature and in the process, it will be over about 6 or 7 of the other sigs. You will then wonder where your $350 went and you might wish to then use the ball as a batting practice ball.

Sorry, but I have seen too many items destroyed by players and musicians and celebrities that simply do not care. Willie is one that does not care and in his ill health, you are risking a lot. Sorry, just my 2 cents,

Peace, Mike

PS you would do much better just having him sign a clean baseball like the one shown a few posts ago and just display the 2 baseballs together.

Last edited by vthobby; 02-17-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Ron V

I got Willie back in 2009 in Cooperstown during HOF weekend. He was signing at Mickey's place for about $350. I got him on a 500HR poster. Although he signed mine nice, like other people are saying he did ruin some pieces. There was a guy in front of me who had a dozen balls for Mays to sign. Willie started to sign in black sharpie and the guy started arguing with him about using a ball point. Not sure why the guy wanted a dozen balls signed at that price when he looked like he couldn't even afford a pair of shoes is beyond me. Good luck though with your ball.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Add me to the list of bad experiences. I purchased 2 of the same display pieces (one for me and the other a birthday present for my brother) that had multiple players and signatures on it. Each player was pictured but the background area around the player was darker. My brother and I waited on line and I went first and showed Mays where I wanted it signed across his white uniform and he complied. My brother (who isn't a collector) set the exact same poster down in front of Mays and he signed in the darker area making the autograph difficult to see. A real SOB for sure.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Hi Matt,

That Mays looks much better than I would have expected. Can I ask why it's signed in sharpie? Did you have a choice, or did his keepers just hand him the sharpie?

Thanks
No choice - I didn't see him put it down once .
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Mike Dugan

I saw him smear a bat signature on purpose and bounce a person a signed ball back in the mid-80's in Little Rock, Arkansas.

He was signing along with Musial in a terrible location at the State Fair Grounds with no air conditioning in the Summer. Musial was wearing his sports coat and tie, stood to shake hands with every person and had a smile on his face.

Willie, well let's just say he seemed unhappy. I did get a photo and a ball that day. If my memory serves me right they were $10.00 each.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Hopefully Shelly will see this thread and can tell the worst Mays 'mangling' story ever. I can promise you - this one will never be topped.

If Shelly doesn't comply, I will tell it
Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Michael Allen

I'm hoping if I'm able to have a conversation with the promoter and/or handler, supply the blue ball point pen and put a legal sticky tab that says "sign here" the handler will do their best to make sure the ball is handled and signed properly. I rather it not be signed and sent back to me then to have the piece ruined. I'm sure we've all seen the recent YouTube videos of Willie signing and as long as the person is persistent on where, how, and what pen to use Willie will eventually comply. But not being their in person will not help the situation. I'm always worried when you have to depend on someone else to go to bat for you -see what I did there

The "sign here" might be over kill. I'll just use a regular tab instead that doesn't say anything. There is real estate on the bottom part of the west panel below Tony Taylors signature for him to sign. It's not ideal to have him attempt to cram his signature in a tight space but we'll see.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

If the previous poster is correct about his failing eyesight, all that isn't going to matter anyway, even if he's in a good mood.

I'm afraid you're going to pay $350 to have Mays ruin your ball...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallen22 View Post
I'm hoping if I'm able to have a conversation with the promoter and/or handler, supply the blue ball point pen and put a legal sticky tab that says "sign here" the handler will do their best to make sure the ball is handled and signed properly. I rather it not be signed and sent back to me then to have the piece ruined. I'm sure we've all seen the recent YouTube videos of Willie signing and as long as the person is persistent on where, how, and what pen to use Willie will eventually comply. But not being their in person will not help the situation. I'm always worried when you have to depend on someone else to go to bat for you -see what I did there

The "sign here" might be over kill. I'll just use a regular tab instead that doesn't say anything. There is real estate on the bottom part of the west panel below Tony Taylors signature for him to sign. It's not ideal to have him attempt to cram his signature in a tight space but we'll see.
I wish you the best, but I think you're crazy.
Ken
Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Even if you could get him to sign exactly where you want, with blue ballpoint, his signature no longer goes with those 1960 ones. The stamped Mays at least looks like his 1960 signature.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:48 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Even if you could get him to sign exactly where you want, with blue ballpoint, his signature no longer goes with those 1960 ones. The stamped Mays at least looks like his 1960 signature.
+1

Even if you did get a decent Mays signature on it, and that looks like a real gamble in the first place, I still think it would ruin it since the ball was signed in 1960.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM
John E.

One of my early memories as a fan...Willie did a signing at the single-A Fresno Giants game when I was 10. This was almost 30 years ago, so I don't wanna hear about the man's eyesight. He just flat doesnt care.

I was so excited...I'd seen the films and heard the stories of this gregarious player who everyone loved...one of the greatest of all time.

Got to the front of the line, and he snatched my ball, scribbled on it, and rolled it back across the table at me, without looking up once or saying a word.

Still have the ball...though I'm not sure why.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Scott is right....The ball looks good the way it is. Why take a chance?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I agree. I wouldn't risk it. Too many horror stories out there and not that big of a return. Won't the ink stand out and not have the same fade as the others? Just too many risks IMO.
Drew
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallen22 View Post

I think that's a great idea. Please keep us posted on how it turns out. I would love to see the after pictures. I think $350 is very fair also given the situation.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Yes, if you attempt to have this done, definitely post the 'after' pictures before giving the ball to Pickles.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post

I was so excited...I'd seen the films and heard the stories of this gregarious player who everyone loved...one of the greatest of all time.

Got to the front of the line, and he snatched my ball, scribbled on it, and rolled it back across the table at me, without looking up once or saying a word.
That was exactly my experience when going to meet the great Willie Mays, except for added one detail: he never even looked up or otherwise acknowledged my existence when I said hello and tried to chat with him. By contrast, Musial, Aaron, Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, all gentlemen. Mays, just a dick with ears.

The ball itself was already signed by Mantle and Snider, so I sold it off. Also sold all of my Mays cards and didn't buy another for 10+ years.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-18-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM
$teve O.

I would not try and get him to sign it.The ball looks good the way it is.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I would not try and get him to sign it.The ball looks good the way it is.
I totally agree!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Gobucsmagic74

If you send it why not wrap something around the ball (brown paper bag?) and cut out a "window" where you want him to try to scribble his signature. At least then if it sucks (which it likely will) it won't ruin the existing autos.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Mays likes to sign upside down from the other signatures too. He's pretty much got all the ways down to ruin your ball.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Michael Allen

I was told by the promoter this was a card only event and Willie is not doing any other signings in the near future. Since Willie is not doing any signings the promoter put out the offer of $1,000 for the signature and that didn't even guarantee it.

"I'd be open to taking the ball with me to be signed, however, I can't make a promise that it will get autographed as I've been informed that Willie will only sign cards. If interested, I would take the ball and offer Willie $1,000 to sign it. I know the price is steep but at this point Willie is no longer doing any signings, thus the high price."

So my question is - IF you were guaranteed a nice Willie signature just how you wanted it (lets just assume for purposes of this question) what would be your price to pay?

What would be your price to pay if you knew for a fact this was your last chance of getting his signature (I know that seems extreme but im curious what the answers would be). I'm afraid most of the board has spoken and said forget the signature the ball looks fine as it. Does your opinion change if risk of ruining it was taken off the table?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Why people pay in person prices for autographs with a resale market worth 1/20th the price is beyond me. What does a Mays autograph sell for these days? $40?

If the signer is gregarious and you get a snapshot with him I can understand paying a premium for the experience, but otherwise ...

Just my opinion, of course. It's your item and you can do as you wish.

Last edited by drcy; 02-19-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree....

Why would you even consider letting them "hold you hostage" for that obscene amount of money?

Mays' current signature doesn't even resemble the 1960 version. And even if he signed flawlessly (a big "if"), it would stand out like a sore thumb, and subsequently ruin the ball.

You have a very nice vintage piece there. The stamped Mays signature is part of the Ball's heritage, so try to be content with that. There are thousands of other Mays signed items available at a fraction of that outlandish price. So if you must have a modern Mays autograph, try to obtain one without corrupting a great vintage ball or paying 20 times what it is worth.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Mike,
I'll echo what others have said here in I wouldn't do it.
I had a similar situation, although with a newer ball and not a player of Mays' caliber. I had purchased a Brewers team ball and noticed that a member of the current Brewers team at the time (late 90's) was a rookie during the time that the ball I just purchased was from. I had him sign it and tried to match the color of the original ball as much as I could. I wish I hadn't. It didn't look like the other signatures on the ball and stood out. My eyes are drawn to it each time I look at it and regret it.
Eric
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

I get that Mays is ornery (a prick) but why does it make him happy to purposely destroy an item?

Has anyone here ever called him on it?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM

You can regularly pick up Mays baseballs on eBay for either just under or just over $100.

I say, hey, Willie that's ok.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I vote to go for it. Please post the after photos once it is complete. $1000 is totally worth it. Go for it!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Michael Allen

I'd like to play devils advocate - This may not be comparing apples to apples with the caliber of players I'm going to mention among other key factors, but if you had a 1927 team signed Yankee ball but it was missing Ruths' signature, and you had the opportunity to get his signature some 20 years later, would you pursue it? I can already anticipate the comments seeking out a Ruth auto to a Mays auto and I don't want to compare the names, eras, supply of signatures in the market place etc but rather, if you have a chance to "complete" a team ball with arguably the best player of that team wouldn't you? Just playing devils advocate so be easy

I'm not paying $1,000 for a Mays signature and I agree with the majority of the boards comments. I'd happily display an original vintage Mays auto next to this piece before paying a large sum of money and risk damage. But the idea of having a newer signature on a vintage piece doesn't bother me personally. If the new autograph was say Dick Groat (sorry Dick i'm a Buccos fan I promise) instead of Willie Mays i'd be content. But when the player missing is a key player i'd pursue it, as I did. I'd pursue Musial too if it were possible rip.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Michael Allen

Now I'll probably need to post in BST for an authentic vintage high grade Mays and Musial signed baseballs circa 50's-60's
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 AM

As a teenager on a few occasions some friends and I would wait at the players' gate at Yankee Stadium to try to get autographs from players as they exited the stadium after a game. Consistent with what others have said, the players differed markedly in how they treated autograph seekers. Ralph Terry and Tony Kubek were always friendly and gave an easy to read autograph. Yogi Berra seemed to tolerate the clamor, would sign a few, but said nothing. Other players would not sign, would not speak, and simply ran through the gauntlet of admirers. My friends and I were usually in agreement about which players were nice and which ones were nasty. But there were a few who were highly variable, nice on some occasions and nasty on others. When nice they gave a clear autograph, and when nasty either did not sign or just gave an illegible scrawl. We could not understand why this set of players seemed so moody.

Flash forward about 20 years. I am at a regional sports show where Hank Bauer is signing. I had long lost my interest in autographs, but I was avidly into collecting pins. Bauer's pin had eluded me despite looking high and low for it (this is long before eBay). I knew a pin had been made of him, as a fellow collector had one. So I had a plan. I would buy a ticket and get in line to talk to Bauer. I did not want his autograph---I didn't even bring anything to sign. When it was my turn, I was going to ask him about his pin (a large PM-10). Surely he must have several, I reasoned. Then I was going to make him a financial offer he could not refuse. Additionally, in my pant's pocket I had a pre-addressed padded envelope with lots of postage on it. I had even rehearsed my speech.

I finally get before Bauer. It went something like this:
Bauer: "So what do you want me to sign?"
Me: "Nothing. I just would like the chance to purchase a pinback button of you."
Bauer: "What button? I don't have no button of me."
Me: "You must! They made buttons of all the players back then!"
Bauer: "I don't know what you are talking about."
Me: "But,...."

Bauer, the ex-Marine, then shoots me a look that nearly cut me in half. A sports writer once described Bauer's face as "a clenched fist." On that day I saw the fist about to smash into my face. I quickly moved along. I always wondered if Bauer took out his frustration with an illegible scrawl to the poor sap who was in line behind me. I also learned something about moodiness.

Paul
Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

I think you should let it go. I had Bill Russell (Celtics) sign a couple of team signed photographs that were missing only his signature. Of course a sharpie was used and all the vintage signatures were ballpoint. Looks out of place. They are not my favorite pieces.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Out of curiosity how much would the basic same ball with Mays, Musial etc vintage signatures sell for now? If your willing to drop 1K on Mays how much more would a fully signed ball be? You could sell your current ball and help fund it.
Seems more fun to hunt down a new one than go through all the risk that has been mentioned already. Just my opinion.
Drew
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM

I would think that if you were patient you could sell the ball you have and save the money plus add the $1K that it would cost to get Mays potentially to sign it and I think you could find another All-Star ball this is already signed by him and you would be happier.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Rich Nelson

Just go to you tube and look up Willie Mays signing. Watch a few of the videos. That should be enough to convince you to not have it signed.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Barry Sloate

Michael- You're looking for any reason to do this despite all the warnings you are getting from people who have had experience dealing with Mays. Here's what will happen: you will send $1000 hoping for the best, and then your ball will be ruined and you won't even want to look at it again.

I see no reason whatsoever to do anything with this baseball except to enjoy it as it is. It is a near certainty that if Mays gets a hold of it this will end badly.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:28 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree....

Why would you even consider letting them "hold you hostage" for that obscene amount of money?

Mays' current signature doesn't even resemble the 1960 version. And even if he signed flawlessly (a big "if"), it would stand out like a sore thumb, and subsequently ruin the ball.

You have a very nice vintage piece there. The stamped Mays signature is part of the Ball's heritage, so try to be content with that. There are thousands of other Mays signed items available at a fraction of that outlandish price. So if you must have a modern Mays autograph, try to obtain one without corrupting a great vintage ball or paying 20 times what it is worth.
Nailed it. The signature would look totally out of place and he would unquestionably ruin it. I was in line for Mays once and a guy had a multi-signed bat that he wrapped up in packaging paper with just a small part of the bat exposed for Mays' signature. This was 15 years ago so his eye sight was okay. Imagine all of that effort to pay someone hundreds of dollars.

Let the ball be.

Last edited by bender07; 02-20-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Mike Kaminski

Why not just sell this ball, save the $350 and obtain one that isn't stamped? At least then you'd have a nice baseball with a period signature and not needing to worry about paying up.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Michael Allen

I think we are all on same page about how to handle the Mays stamp. I'm not going to move forward with pursuing his signature.

UPDATE - I inquired with JSA & the auction house about providing me a new LOA because the current one does not have Ernie Banks listed as a HOF'er. The auction house spoke with JSA, and requested a new LOA be sent directly to me just to find out the Ernie Banks wasn't listed as a HOF'er because his signature is a clubhouse. JSA acknowledges they failed disclose that on the LOA. It sure does stink knowing another HOF'er is not a unique original signature. Recently deceased if I may add.

One could argue the key to this piece is the strong bold Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron signatures and I'd agree, but you hate to pay a premium for a ball just to find out another HOF'er on a team ball isn't genuine.

I think we are back to the square one though. What does it cost just for a Ernie Banks signed ball, not a lot, but the reason I went after this piece was because it was a strong collection of bold signatures on a team signed ball. The collection of these signatures makes it unique, if it didn't, I would just acquire individual signed balls.

I'll have to inquire but I wonder what other players might be clubhouse signatures.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Michael Allen

JSA is looking into the matter to see where the ball may have been dropped on their end as far as disclosing the Banks clubhouse signature. It seems like the verdict is still out if its a clubhouse or not. I don't want to speak too soon but from the information that's been relayed to me so far, it appears there is paperwork with it labeled as a clubhouse. They might come back and say it is genuine or they might come back and say it is indeed a clubhouse. Hope to find out next week, stay tuned!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Please send the ball in for Mays to sign. I think it's a no brainer, literally. I am on pins and needles waiting for the after photos.