NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Val Kehl

Ted, thanks for the enlightenment. I have long thought that rare meant scarcer than scarce.

No Ted, I have never tried to put together a T209-1 set, as I am not a set collector, with one exception, that being the 1925 Holland Creameries set of 18 cards.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Dan Bl@u

I have always thought rarity referred to the number of cards in existence, while scarcity referred to the availability of the card. A rare card will probably always be scarce, but a scarce card does not necessarily have to be rare.

T209-1 is my favorite set, and was the first prewar set I completed. I think the pop numbers are somewhat inaccurate, as I recall seeing numerous examples of T209s getting cracked and reslabbed by different TPGs. Some of the cards are certainly tougher than others. Hoffman is probably the easiest, and Booles is probably the hardest. I think I've only seen 2 Booles cards come up for sale in the past seven years, and I bought one of them. So as Ted hinted, putting together the set will take some time and patience. But it is doable, especially because it's only 3% of the size of the Monster!

ETA: About seven years ago, I took substantial notes on the PSA and SGC pop reports for T209-1. At that time, there were 398 total cards slabbed by both companies. So that number has gone up by about 100 since then. The hardest card was Booles with 17 total examples, and the easiest was Hoffman with 38.

Here is my set:

Last edited by Bliggity; 06-09-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE....T206-like T209 (CONTENTNEA) 1st series.....show us your T209 cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
I have always thought rarity referred to the number of cards in existence, while scarcity referred to the availability of the card. A rare card will probably always be scarce, but a scarce card does not necessarily have to be rare.

T209-1 is my favorite set, and was the first prewar set I completed. I think the pop numbers are somewhat inaccurate, as I recall seeing numerous examples of T209s getting cracked and reslabbed by different TPGs. Some of the cards are certainly tougher than others. Hoffman is probably the easiest, and Booles is probably the hardest. I think I've only seen 2 Booles cards come up for sale in the past seven years, and I bought one of them. So as Ted hinted, putting together the set will take some time and patience. But it is doable, especially because it's only 3% of the size of the Monster!

ETA: About seven years ago, I took substantial notes on the PSA and SGC pop reports for T209-1. At that time, there were 398 total cards slabbed by both companies. So that number has gone up by about 100 since then. The hardest card was Booles with 17 total examples, and the easiest was Hoffman with 38.

Here is my set:

Hi Dan

Very nice, thanks for displaying your set. I, too, am suspect of the pop report total of these cards. These T209-1 cards...."Don't Come Easy"....and, they don't come "CHEAP".
With respect to that latter comment....I suspect due to their high $$$$ value, many of these cards have been resubmitted, hoping for an increase in their $$$$ value.

Dan....do you also collect the T209-2 cards ?

TED Z

T206 REFERENCE....convenient access to T206 checklists
Old 06-09-2021, 11:48 AM

Here is my example from this set, Walsh, shown the day after a bar fight.

Brian (Not part of any TPG population report. My card probably spent a night in jail, whereas many of his brothers are doing 25 to life in their plastic prisons)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t209oneWalsh 001.jpg (57.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg t209oneWalshback 002.jpg (66.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:58 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Here is my set:

I'm not trying to start anything Dan but there have been 9 sales of 7 different Booles in the past two years.

Here's the 7 different Booles that sold

2-26-21
Booles 2-26-21.jpg

1-17-21
Booles 1-7-21.jpg

5-12-20
Booles 5-12 20.jpg

12-8-19
Booles 12-8-19.jpg

10-5-19
Booles 10-5-19.jpg

8-11-19
Booles 8-11-19.jpg

6-25-19
Booles 6-25-19.jpg
Old 06-09-2021, 02:20 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I'm not trying to start anything Dan but there have been 9 sales of 7 different Booles in the past two years.
Wow! That's very surprising to me. I take it all back, T209-1 is an easy set to finish I know back a few years ago they were very hard to find, and I believe there was at least one person on here who was just missing Booles to complete their set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Dan....do you also collect the T209-2 cards ?
Not yet. I've been thinking about it, but I do hope that someone will talk me out of it. As a completionist set collector, I don't need that kind of stress in my life!
Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE....T206-like T209 (CONTENTNEA) 1st series....show us your T209 cards

Quote:
Not yet. I've been thinking about it, but I do hope that someone will talk me out of it. As a completionist set collector, I don't need that kind of stress in my life!
Hi Dan

Years ago, I had about 80 of of the T209-2 cards. But like you, I've always been a set collector, and at any given time I am in the process of completing several sets.
So, it did not appeal to me to continue collecting T209-2 cards. After considering that it would have been a very, very long journey.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-18-2021, 07:02 AM
Dave Wilson

Hey Dan,

As you know I have the complete 1st series. If you are obsessed with completion, T209-2 is not for you. I have focused on just the North Carolina teams for several years now. There are 114 total and I only have 55. I haven't been able to add even 1 new one for many months although I am actively looking. Quite frustrating!

Quote:
Wow! That's very surprising to me. I take it all back, T209-1 is an easy set to finish I know back a few years ago they were very hard to find, and I believe there was at least one person on here who was just missing Booles to complete their set.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Cigarette Cards

I don't have very many but, when I sold my original collection in 1986 I saved the cigarette cards that I had:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206Front.jpg (73.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg T206Back.jpg (76.0 KB, 424 views)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REF. TRIVIA.....Iffy call cost Team the Pennant. Who's the T206 player involved?

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

...... Piedmont .......... Sovereign ...... Sweet Caporal____The "House" that created these Tobacco cards___POLAR BEAR .......... Hindu ....... American Beauty

TUESDAY NITE TRIVIA

Name this T206 player. Here's a hint....in the 9th inning of a crucial game at the end of the season, the player of interest was at bat. He hit the ball very hard to Right Field.
The following controversial Umpire's call as to whether it was fair or foul resulted in his team losing the game and the Pennant.

And, his name is not Fred Merkle

The 1st guy with the correct answer will be rewarded with a T206 card. To quote Ringo Starr: "It Don't Come Easy". I'll be surprised if someone quickly identifies this player.

I look forward to your responses.

TED Z

Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 PM

It is interesting that 3 of the Booles Pat showed as well as my Walsh all have paper damage in basically the same spot on the bottom right border (yes, my Walsh also has a ton of other damage).

Probably just a coincidence, but thought I would point it out anyway.

Brian
Old 06-09-2021, 11:44 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE....T206-like T209 (CONTENTNEA) 1st series.....show us your T209 cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Ted, thanks for the enlightenment. I have long thought that rare meant scarcer than scarce.

No Ted, I have never tried to put together a T209-1 set, as I am not a set collector, with one exception, that being the 1925 Holland Creameries set of 18 cards.
Val......will I see you at the Philly Show this forthcoming weekend ?

It was approx. 10 years ago at the Philly Show when you absolutely "made my day". You offered me this 1910 COUPON Matty,
and we a nice deal on it.

You are really one of the great guys in this hobby.

TED Z

Old 06-09-2021, 10:13 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Val......will I see you at the Philly Show this forthcoming weekend ?

It was approx. 10 years ago at the Philly Show when you absolutely "made my day". You offered me this 1910 COUPON Matty,
and we a nice deal on it.

You are really one of the great guys in this hobby.

Ted, thanks for the kind words.

I was planning to come to this weekend's Philly Show only if the National was either cancelled or held but with significant Covid-19 restrictions; it currently appears that there will be a normal or near-normal National this year. I may make it to one of the Philly Shows later this year.

Every time you have showed your T213-1 Coupon of Matty, I have recalled our trade and realized how delighted you were to obtain this card. And, truth be told, I have felt a bit of trader's remorse, despite being delighted with the T206 Sovereign 350 WaJo portrait I received from you. This is because I'm partial to very scarce/rare cards, and I really liked having the Matty as my T213-1 type card, but of course, one has to give up something good to get something good.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Jason Wells

Amazing Contentneas everyone! I too highly recommend Mike and Tims research on the subject. Mikes website dedicated to the issue is so well done and a true wealth of knowledge. I recently started a Series 1 set and I'm 136 deep on the Series 2 set. I'm partial to the black and white issues but these cards have the most interesting images and backgrounds. I even have a theory Jim Thorpe is seen in the background of a card. Have to get home to verify the player on the card. Good stuff!

Last edited by Jason; 06-10-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE....T206-like T209 (CONTENTNEA) 1st series....show us your T209 cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Amazing Contentneas everyone! I too highly recommend Mike and Tims research on the subject. Mikes website dedicated to the issue is so well done and a true wealth of knowledge. I recently started a Series 1 set and I'm 136 deep on the Series 2 set. I'm partial to the black and white issues but these cards have the most interesting images and backgrounds. I even have a theory Jim Thorpe is seen in the background of a card. Have to get home to verify the player on the card. Good stuff!

Jason

I'd love to see the card with Jim Thorpe's image on it.

As you probably know, Thorpe played for Rocky Mount and Fayetteville during the Summers of 1910-11.

Supposedly, those two brief experiences in professional Baseball cost Jim his medals and trophies, which
he won in the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm. He was forced to return them.

Gee, it would have been really neat if they had included a card of Thorpe in this set.

Good Luck putting together the color set.

TED Z

Old 06-15-2021, 05:53 AM
Jason Wells

Ok here we go and this is just a theory. As mentioned Jim Thorpe played for Fayetteville in the 1910-1911 season. I believe that some cards depict images from preseason camps as a few players that have cards seem to never have played a game with the designated team. Background players on some cards seem to be waiting their turn to take infield practice. So that brings me to the Lavoia card from the Highlanders team. Notice the very stocky player in the background. He is awaiting his turn as possibly the backup first baseman. Of course I have zero proof of it actually being Jim Thorpe. Its just fun to think it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lavoia-frt2.jpg (91.0 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Jason; 06-15-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:36 AM
Jeff R

I bought my first T209-1 in 2017, but didn't buy my second one for another three years. In the past year I've purchased 4 of the 5 I own. At this rate I hope to complete the set in about three years!

I really enjoy collecting the more obscure sets. These guys were playing in C and D leagues, in what I have to imagine, not the best conditions and not for a great deal of money. There is a certain mystique surrounding this time in baseball that originally drew me to T206 cards. While I still collect T206, I get a little more excited each time I add one of these cards to my set.

I also own 13 of the T209-2. The B&W add a little more to the grittiness of baseball at that time. I doubt I'll ever complete the set, but I will continue to collect these gems as they come along.

T209-1 Bourquise.jpgT209-1 Bourquise B.jpg

T209-1 Bourquise c.jpgT209-1 Bourquise B C.jpg

T209-1 Crockett.jpgT209-1 Crockett B.jpg

T209-1 Hoffman.jpgT209-1 Hoffman B.jpg

T209-1 McGeehan.jpgT209-1 McGeehan B.jpg
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...