NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default What do you think of this Mantle sig?

Posted By: Erick Lewin

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-Cut-Cuts-auto-signature-UDA-Autograph-1-1_W0QQitemZ360107050038QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sp orts_Cards?hash=item360107050038&_trksid=p3286.c0. m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A 1%7C240%3A1318

Is it possible the Mick had a little slip up? maybe a little too much to drink? Even is it's legit, If i were Upper Deck, I certainly would not put that cut into a card in their product. I've seen and heard enough bad things with these vintage cuts that they're putting into cards.

I don't know the seller or anything and I'm not saying this ones fake. I just wanted to hear some opinions...

Old 11-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I think the signature is fine. Mick probably had a few too many pops and was trying to sign in the middle of the three Gold Hall Of Fame Plaques that he believed was presented to him. Don't you just love the fact that you can take a $200-250 signed Hall Of Fame plaque and cut the signature off, post it into a card and someone will ask (and maybe pay) $3,500+ for it?

I once saw a person pay $190 for an Otto Graham clipped photograph signature and three eBay sellers had that exact same signed photo in their eBay store for around $20. Insane.

DJ

Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Agree on both counts...

The signature is authentic. Just a slip of the pen, hiccup, or perhaps he was interrupted during the act of signing.

Also.. to DJ's point, I don't know for the life of me why people pay such a premium for these contrived cards. I have seen Connie Mack cards with a $165 cut signature sell for over $1,200 and Al Simmons Cards with a $200 cut signature sell for close to $2,000.

Who are the people buying these things anyway? Don't these signatures look a lot nicer framed/matted with a nice photo (for about 1/8 the price?) Seems insane!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I agree, thanks for responses. I too can not understand why people pay so much for these cards. A 3 x 5 or other type of cut looks so much better framed and matted or just as is. Don't people see that these card companies, by doing this, are just ripping them off by some clever marketing. These people pay more for a smaller cut that is placed into a card and then arbitrarily limited. This mantle for example is a 1/1 (joke). there's tons of signed HOF plaque cards out there that look and display way better because the are intact!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

These cards with butchered autographs would have made P.T. Barnum proud.
Not only do they butcher the autograph by cutting off part of it, I have seen many fake autographs on these types of cards.
I have a number of the fakes illustrated on my website:
www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

These cut up cards in cards quality as the dumbest of the dumb-- and often the ugliest of the ugly. I saw one that had a serial numbered signed insert card cut up to make a serial numbered signed insert card. The funny thing was the second card had a lower serial number than the first.

Of course the final responsibility for the high prices lies with the buyers.

Though I admit that wooly mammoth hair card intrigues me. The best way to preserve the card is to put it in the freezer.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Here's a perfect example of the lunacy that exists with these hideous contrived cards. A very nice Mickey Cochrane Cut Signature would run you about $200...

But for a mear $4,000, you can get a far worse example (partially cut off on both ends) and attached to an ultra-modern neon-blue piece of cardboard (see link!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-COCHRANE-SP-LEGENDARY-CUTS-SIGNED-CUT-AUTO-1-1_W0QQitemZ140261637795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sp orts_Cards?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

And please note that shipping charge is $3.00 - do not think that you can finagle free shipping from this seller, after forking over the four grand!

BTW... I think the 1927 Yankees Ball in Lelands recently closed for less than that amount.