NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default Touring the World

Posted By: Max Weder

Picked this up on ebay

Anyone else have world tour photos or ephemera to post?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Have had this for a while

Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Max, great pick-up. I've always liked the cover graphics on that booklet. You also got an enormous bargain (I think an instance of a seller not properly listing his item as a program). I've seen it sell for over $1,000 on major auction sites in the past. Great job!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great pickup Max....I think Clint may be looking for one of those World Tour booklets. They made a stop in a small town in Kansas where I believe the ballpark still stands today with a sign memorializing the game. I've seen a few of those available just in the past 3-4 months (two on ebay and one in a Hunt's auction). I did not however see the one you picked up.

Some day I would dearly love to find anything involving Spalding's World Tour stop in Nebraska in 1888.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dan- I assume you have a copy of Palmer's Athletic Sports in America. Definitive book on the 1888 tour.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Palmer also wrote another book on the 1888 Tour. It's called: "Sights Around The World with the Base Ball Boys: Most Interesting Sketches of the Famous Sights of the World as They Were Seen By The Gay Travelers on the "Round The World" Tour of American BaseBall Players". I believe much of the text is reprinted from his 1888 book, and there are no beautiful colour photos.

Here's a bookseller scan of the 1888 book (again from Between the covers)

The edition pictured is the plain binding. There are at least two other types of bindings, and a salesman sample of the book (which is the coolest of all). I'll try and dig up a scan of the latter.

The 1888 book is common. The on-line prices are high, but the book does show up on ebay regularly, selling in the $300 range.

Max

Old 07-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Max- in the back of the 1889 Spalding Guide there is an ad for "Athletic Sports", with the plain cover version offered for $3.50 and the Morocco cover for $5.00. That is an enormous amount of money for that era, when the Guide itself could be purchased for a dime. It's clear the book was aimed at the wealthy, and it may explain why so many survived. Who would throw out such an expensive book?

I am not aware of the salesman's sample you cited. Do you have a scan (or a description)?

"Sights and Sounds...", which was published in 1893, is just a rehash of parts of the 1888 book. But it is clearly scarcer.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Here are images of Athletic Sports

Salesmen's sample

Max

Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Barry

I just used the Inflation Calculator and what cost $5.00 in 1888 would cost $114.01 in 2007. An expensive book indeed.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the images. So the salesman's sample used the fancy cover but was much thinner. Never saw one of those.

I think the book was more expensive than even what you cited, based on cost of living. I would guess the typical worker only made about $10 a week in the late 1800's, so the book would equal half a week's pay. Nobody makes $228 a week today (I hope).

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Barry, I know an elderly woman who works 40 hrs per week at the local KMart and she brings home less than $228 per week after taxes and other mandatory payroll deductions.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

That is very sad indeed...and for every worker who takes home $200 a week, there's another hedge fund manager making a billion a year!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Mr. Dorskind has just emailed to inform me that only two hedge fund managers are purported to be making a billion dollars a year. So I need to revise my post.

Please change "hedge fund manager" to "any generally overpaid profession."

Or change "a billion a year" to " alot of money." Thank you.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Here's another world tour piece, this one by Ring Lardner. It has a suede-like cover

Max

Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track, Max.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Yes, sorry for that digression.

The Ring Lardner article is, I believe, only the second piece he ever got published. That fact is hyped in the rare book market.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I'm still looking for Zanzibar, Barry

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Max- I know that is a comic reference to something, but unfortunately it went over my head.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I do not have Palmer's book Barry...Do you have one? I'm wondering if there is even any mention of the two games played in Nebraska? In the one game played in a small town in central Nebraska the grandstands collapsed.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

I'm not that funny Barry. I only managed to watch one season of Seinfeld before it drove me into nothingness (and not watching it)

Zanzibar is Mr. Lardner's first published work in book form

gently offered at $15,000 on the internet

Ring Lardner -- 1st Edition 1st Printing -- FINE/NONE -- copy of Zanzibar: A Comic Opera in Two Acts. 8vo. Unpaginated, [28] pp. "Book by Harry Schmidt. Lyrics and Music by Ring Lardner." This fine copy is bound in the original gray paper wraps, lettered in gilt on the front wrap, and sewn with a single thin, red cord - a perfect match with Bruccoli and Layman's copy. Ring Lardner (March 6, 1885 - September 25, 1933) was born the youngest of nine children to the wealthiest couple in Niles, Michigan; he enjoyed his family's own baseball field, tennis court, and stable of horses - all surrounded by several acres of land. After years of homeschooling from his mother, Lena, and a private tutor, Lardner attended Niles High School from 1897-1901, where he began his career in song as a member of a quartet. He embarked on his literary career soon after, composing the class poem for his graduating class of 1901 - when he was only 16 years old. This poem, which found its way into the Niles Daily Star on June 14, 1901, was the young writer's first published work. With a high school diploma up his sleeve, Lardner moved to Chicago after graduation; giving up his job as an office lackey, though, he returned to Niles before the end of 1901. Even so, Lardner returned to Chicago in 1902 to enroll in the Armour Institute's engineering program. Unfortunately, he failed his classes, was kicked out of school, and once again returned to Niles in 1903. During this time, while we was performing trivial jobs for the Niles Gas Company and was only 18 years old, Lardner began working with the Niles American Minstrels. The comic opera "Zanzibar" was the resulting product. This two-act, heartwarming farce was performed at the Niles Opera House on April 14, 1903. In addition to composing the lyrics and music, Lardner played the role of Shylock - the young man who assumes the throne after being mistaken for the Sultan. Fred D. Cook, who was at that time the editor of the Niles Daily Star and sometimes performed small printing jobs on the newspaper's presses, published this comic opera, making "Zanzibar" Lardner's second piece of published work and his very first work to be published in book form. Lardner wouldn't publish anything else until four of his songs came off the press in 1910, the first being "Little Puff of Smoke, Goodnight". Lardner's second book wouldn't be published until March 3, 1914, when he and Edward Heeman collaborated on "The Home Coming" - a private publication that was not issued for sale. Though Lardner had been routinely contributing to "The Saturday Evening Post" since March 7, 1914, not until July 10, 1915, when "Bib Ballads" hit stores, did Lardner finally see his first regularly published book. Considering the small scale of Fred D. Cook's print jobs (having enough machinery for a town of only 4,000 people), it is safe to assume that the print run for "Zanzibar" was extremely small. According to Bruccoli and Layman, there is only one known copy: the personal copy of Ring W. Lardner, Jr., which they used to complete their bibliography. Needless to say, this book is exceedingly rare. This wonderful copy, purchased from Michigan bookman Don Allen over 30 years ago, has since remained in the possession of a private collector. Aside from some very light and scattered foxing, this book is in perfect condition - even better than the copy photographed for Bruccoli and Layman's bibliography. (Bruccoli & Layman A 1) Published by: Fred D. Cook, 1903. Bookseller

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Okay, I didn't know Zanzibar was his first work. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

A little town in my home state secured a spot on the 1913-1914 World Tour. It, in my opinion was the greatest game ever played in Kansas.

I've visited the tiny town of Blue Rapids, Kansas not expecting to find much. I was very surprised by the reaction of the town. Everyone knew of the event and was very knowlegeable of it. A particular bank practically shut down to show my father and I an original broadside from the game. They took us to a special room in the bank and let us take pictures of it. It was a spectacular piece that I'll show later when I find the pictures.

The City Hall also had a showcase of original pictures and a couple of tickets from the event. They let me make copies of the pictures and I was lucky enough to find a couple of tickets myself. Pretty rare tickets considering only approximately 3000 were made.

I've included this link which details the events of the day.
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/BlueRapids/baseball.htm

Clint

Old 07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Great stuff Clint! I've been through Blue Rapids many times driving right past that ballpark.

Now why did the travelers eschew Nebraska??? They went from Ottumwa, IA up to Sioux City, IA then on down to Kansas. They could have easily made a stop in Omaha or Lincoln.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Dan, you had to put up guarantee money to secure your spot. The newspaper accounts tell how much it was. I can't remember how much now. Blue Rapids had some investors who went together to get the game. The teams had a choice of either taking a percentage of the profits or a lump sum. This game they took the percentage.

I'll try to dig out my other stuff when I get a chance.

Clint

Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Dan, I found my other information. You had to put up a $1000 dollar guarantee to get a spot on the tour. The teams then had the choice of either taking the $1000 or 80% of the gate.

Sorry for the poor picture on the broadside. It really doesn't do it justice. It lists some of the players who were supposed to be on the tour. Joe Jackson is listed but didn't play.

Clint

Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Blue Rapids should consider doing a re-enactment of the game in 5 years for the 100th anniversary. I'd drive down there for that.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Dan, check this site out. It would be cool to see a re-enactment of the game. I'd go too.
http://www.baseballinternational.com/worldtourpix.htm

Clint

Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

I'll bet that wasn't cheap. I would give my left ... to go on a world baseball tour like that.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

There is a recent book published on the tour