NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-05-2022, 01:31 PM
Mike Rozanc

Default April 2022 Pickups

Added these beauties to my Pirates collection - 1979 Game Used Kent Tekulve and Rennie Stennett.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7005.jpg (204.0 KB, 840 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7006.jpg (204.2 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7007.jpg (202.3 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7004 (3).jpg (202.4 KB, 836 views)
Old 04-05-2022, 04:31 PM

Default Roxey Roach

From the LOTG auction, a Conlon Roxey Roach in NYAL 1910 uni !
Note crossed out address and use of Evening Telegram stamp. Maybe original stamp was from 1910 when Roxey joined the Yankees and then Conlon got a request for the photo in 1912 when he was sold when he went back to Jersey City, Balt or Wash (all in the same year...)? Roach also makes an appearance on the 1911 Sporty team post card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roach Roxey Conlon photo.jpg (182.3 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg Roach rev.jpg (110.5 KB, 813 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 04-05-2022, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Nice pickups Mike and Buzz

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-05-2022, 07:40 PM
Mikeknapp

Those bumblebees are beautiful

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 04-06-2022, 06:05 AM
Mike Rozanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Those bumblebees are beautiful
Thanks Mike, I loved the 1979 Pirates as a kid so that year jerseys are my favorites.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:39 AM

Default Ernie Shore "Perfect Game" Baseball Achievement Award in relief of Babe Ruth 1917

I'm really happy to have added this neat piece of history to my advanced no-hitter collection last night.

Many of you may possibly be aware that on June 23rd, 1917, Babe Ruth was the starting pitcher in a historic game at Fenway that was one for the ages.
Ruth got in an argument with home plate umpire Brick Owens for calling four consecutive pitches balls to begin the game, allowing an immediate walk of Nats leadoff hitter Roy Morgan. Lots of arguing back and forth between Ruth and Brick Owens and the Babe proceeded to take a swing at Owens. This immediately got Ruth tossed from the game.

Without even warming up, Red Sox RHP Ernie Shore came into the game in relief. Roy Morgan immediately tried to steal 2nd, but was thrown out.
Shore famously proceeded to get the next 26 batters out and hurling perfect ball in relief.
Until 1991 this game was, in fact, declared a "perfect game".
In 1991, the rules surrounding no-hitters and perfect games changed and this game became a no-hitter in spite of it's unusual place in baseball history.

Ernie Shore, a famous North Carolina resident and Sheriff of Forsyth County for many years, was honored by the Governor of NC in 1972 for this great achievement in baseball history.

This award came by way of Jan Shore, the oldest daughter of Ernie Shore.
It's a perfect fit for my collection & happy to have it.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-12-2022 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 AM
Al

Scott,
It always amazes me on the items you are able to collect for that great collection! Just great!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 04-11-2022, 08:25 AM

Scott, great pickup. I played baseball on Ernie Shore field as it was the home for Wake Forest and various Winston-Salem minor league teams. A really nice old stadium. Not sure if it is still there.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:38 AM
chris

awesomeness...
Old 04-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Clint

Great jerseys Mike! Can’t go wrong with the bumble bees!

Scott that award is fantastic and couldn’t have found a better home!
Old 04-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default George - 1920 Baseball Magazine (4.5" x 6")

....although with the Yankees as of January 5 1920 (age 24), that's him in his Red Sox uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0984 - Copy.JPG (142.2 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-11-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
....although with the Yankees as of January 5 1920 (age 24), that's him in his Red Sox uniform.
very very nice pickup.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-11-2022, 03:35 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I'm really happy to have added this neat piece of history to my advanced no-hitter collection last night.

Many of you may possibly be aware that on June 23rd, 1917, Babe Ruth was the starting pitcher in a historic game at Fenway that was one for the ages.
Ruth got in an argument with home plate umpire Brick Owens for calling four consecutive pitches balls on Ruth to begin the game, allowing an immediate walk of Nats leadoff hitter Roy Morgan. Lots of arguing back and forth between Ruth and Brick Owens and the Babe proceeded to take a swing at Owens. This immediately got Ruth tossed from the game.

Without even warming up, Red Sox RHP Ernie Shore came into the game in relief. Roy Morgan immediately tried to steal 2nd, but was thrown out.
Shore famously proceeded to get the next 26 batters out and hurling perfect ball in relief.
Until 1991 this game was, in fact, declared a "perfect game".
In 1991, the rules surrounding no-hitters and perfect games changed and this game became a no-hitter in spite of it's unusual place in baseball history.

Ernie Shore, a famous North Carolina resident and Sheriff of Forsyth County for many years, was honored by the Governor of NC in 1972 for this great achievement in baseball history.

This award came by way of Jan Shore, the oldest daughter of Ernie Shore.
It's a perfect fit for my collection & happy to have it.
Scott,

Here is the next person you need to add to your collection.

https://www.aol.com/sports/20-old-ja...145425635.html

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-11-2022, 03:51 PM
Clint

I’ve been collecting Kansas baseball memorabilia for over 30 years and this is my second verified image from the 1870’s. Was searching Facebook on a Kansas history site and stumbled across this image of a gentleman’s great grandfather. The team is from the Manhattan, Ks area and called the Riversides. A fellow
historian helped him track down a box score of the game they played versus Topeka, which is where this photo was taken. Pretty happy to say the least and am very grateful he was willing to part with it. Crazy to think what was going on in Kansas in the 1870’s with the Wild West and baseball was a part of it. I should add the gentleman’s great grandfather is Griffing and his friend was named Pound but misspelled Ponnd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8CB63F0B-B10E-4D21-9A67-F0078427C1A3.jpg (198.2 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg C8DEF237-277E-40A0-8388-2271CE3D682A.jpg (210.7 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg C584C142-5B6D-437F-873A-F0291772EF3B.jpg (170.4 KB, 638 views)
Old 04-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Scott,

Here is the next person you need to add to your collection.

https://www.aol.com/sports/20-old-ja...145425635.html
Michael,
LOL I just had a friend send me a YouTube video of outtakes of his 19K Perfect Game. WOW! Maybe one of the most dominant games ever pitched??
Old 04-11-2022, 05:18 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Michael,
LOL I just had a friend send me a YouTube video of outtakes of his 19K Perfect Game. WOW! Maybe one of the most dominant games ever pitched??
Thirteen strikeouts in a row is impressive to say the least.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Nolan Ryan 2nd No No was VERY impressive (probably best game he ever pitched/dominated)...after lead off hitter Jim Northrup flied out, 12 of the next 13 outs were by strikeout
Old 04-12-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Tool Player View Post
Nolan Ryan 2nd No No was VERY impressive (probably best game he ever pitched/dominated)...after lead off hitter Jim Northrup flied out, 12 of the next 13 outs were by strikeout
+1 Definitely Nolan's most dominating game, for sure.

He struck out 17 and it would have been more except his back stiffened up late in the game.
Ryan always has said that this was his best game, where he had outstanding command of both the fastball AND the elusive curveball early in his career.

The Tigers were quoted the next day as saying "Ryan had everything" and was totally dominant.
Plus, he had Billy Martin, 1973 manager of the Tigers, working hard on the opposite side of the field, screaming at Ryan trying to rattle him, but to absolutely no avail.

One important fact to note is that in 1973, Nolan was essentially a two-pitch pitcher.
He had "The Express" his devastating fastball and a curve, when he could control it, which made him unhittable at times.

BTW, it was only much later, in the late 1980's, that Nolan added an effective third pitch, the "circle change". This pitch was taught to him by ex-Cincinnati pitcher Joe Nuxhall, who he ran into at breakfast in Cincinnati on a road trip.
This 3rd pitch extended Nolan's career and gave every hitter another wrinkle to think about every time they stepped into the batter's box.
When Nolan joined the Texas Rangers in 1989, they not only had to deal with a handful of a new pitcher in the AL that they mostly had not seen, plus his perfected circle change.

Here is Angel's catcher Art Kusnyer's glove that he used in the early portion of Nolan's 2nd career no-hitter on 7/15/73 at DET and a game ball from the same game. The snapshot of Ryan was taken as he was leaving Tiger Stadium after the 2nd no-hitter. The signed snapper of Norm Cash, who famously brought a table leg instead of a bat to the plate late in the game because he told HP umpire Ron Luciano that "he wasn't going to be able to hit him anyway", actually is from the 1974 season. All of these are part of my core Ryan and no-hit collection.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-12-2022 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:21 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
+1 Definitely Nolan's most dominating game, for sure.

He struck out 17 and it would have been more except his back stiffened up late in the game.
Ryan always has said that this was his best game, where he had outstanding command of both the fastball AND the elusive curveball early in his career.

The Tigers were quoted the next day as saying "Ryan had everything" and was totally dominant.
Plus, he had Billy Martin, 1973 manager of the Tigers, working hard on the opposite side of the field, screaming at Ryan trying to rattle him, but to absolutely no avail.

One important fact to note is that in 1973, Nolan was essentially a two-pitch pitcher.
He had "The Express" his devastating fastball and a curve, when he could control it, which made him unhittable at times.

BTW, it was only much later, in the late 1980's, that Nolan added an effective third pitch, the "circle change". This pitch was taught to him by ex-Cincinnati pitcher Joe Nuxhall, who he ran into at breakfast in Cincinnati on a road trip.
This 3rd pitch extended Nolan's career and gave every hitter another wrinkle to think about every time they stepped into the batter's box.
When Nolan joined the Texas Rangers in 1989, they not only had to deal with a handful of a new pitcher in the AL that they mostly had not seen, plus his perfected circle change.

Here is Angel's catcher Art Kusnyer's glove that he used in the early portion of Nolan's 2nd career no-hitter on 7/15/73 at DET and a game ball from the same game. The snapshot of Ryan was taken as he was leaving Tiger Stadium after the 2nd no-hitter. The signed snapper of Norm Cash, who famously brought a table leg instead of a bat to the plate late in the game because he told HP umpire Ron Luciano that "he wasn't going to be able to hit him anyway", actually is from the 1974 season. All of these are part of my core Ryan and no-hit collection.

Whew!

Awesome knowledge & items!
Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
I’ve been collecting Kansas baseball memorabilia for over 30 years and this is my second verified image from the 1870’s. Was searching Facebook on a Kansas history site and stumbled across this image of a gentleman’s great grandfather. The team is from the Manhattan, Ks area and called the Riversides. A fellow
historian helped him track down a box score of the game they played versus Topeka, which is where this photo was taken. Pretty happy to say the least and am very grateful he was willing to part with it. Crazy to think what was going on in Kansas in the 1870’s with the Wild West and baseball was a part of it. I should add the gentleman’s great grandfather is Griffing and his friend was named Pound but misspelled Ponnd.
Very cool, Clint!
Old 04-12-2022, 09:33 AM
Chris Counts

Thanks to a board member, Brian, I picked up this wonderful snapshot of Satchel Paige, which was taken at Perris Hill Park in San Bernardino in the spring of 1952. After studying the background, I realized I had seen the field's distinctive fence and pine trees before on several Bowman cards ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paige ss browns.jpg (156.8 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg 51mcdonald.jpg (169.0 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg 51mccullough.jpg (195.0 KB, 604 views)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:44 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Thanks to a board member, Brian, I picked up this wonderful snapshot of Satchel Paige, which was taken at Perris Hill Park in San Bernardino in the spring of 1952. After studying the background, I realized I had seen the field's distinctive fence and pine trees before on several Bowman cards ...
Solid pick up Chris! Love that snapper! Great research too! Cheers man!
Old 04-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:

A real beauty right there!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-12-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Congrats Chris! Love the snapper of Satch!
Old 04-15-2022, 12:10 PM
Jonathan

Default c. 1950s Willie Mays Personal Model Glove

While I rarely deviate from my pursuit of 19th C. equipment and imagery, sometimes an item comes along that’s too nice to pass up. For me, those such pieces have to be associated with the NY teams and players of the 1950s and, in this instance, it was a Willie Mays glove.

Just this past week I added this superb MacGregor, G105, Mays personal model glove. It’s big, soft, supple, high quality, and stamped deeply with a pristine mfg patch to boot.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Old 04-15-2022, 01:50 PM

Beautiful glove Jon. I still have my Macgregor Mays “WM” personal model I bought in 1958. Yours has the next generation web I think.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Jonathan

Thanks, Bruce…and, I’d love to see the WM model sometime, too. From what I can gather, the patch on mine dates it to the 1956-1958 timeframe. That said, I do have to admit that I don’t have as much experience with MacGregors as I do with Rawlings products, so a bit more fact finding to do before I can say 56’, 57’, or 58’ or some other year all together.

I must say that I would like to see a thread reflecting examples of high grade/personal model gloves from the stars of the 1950s. Maybe that’s the next rainy day project for me

JP

Last edited by jpop43; 04-15-2022 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 04-16-2022, 03:26 PM

There's been some great pick ups in the previous posts. Congratulations guys!!!
I just got this Sandy Koufax pin. It measures 3 1/2 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (79).jpg (196.5 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (80).jpg (189.3 KB, 441 views)
Old 04-16-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiques View Post
There's been some great pick ups in the previous posts. Congratulations guys!!!
I just got this Sandy Koufax pin. It measures 3 1/2 inches.
That's a really nice one, Ed. Congrats!
FYI, I'm actually still looking for one of these Sandy Koufax pinbacks if anyone has one to sell
Old 04-16-2022, 10:07 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I recently purchased this matted photo of a lady doing a windup or catching a ball type of pose in uniform. The matte back is dated 1897.

I love early baseball items tied to women. Especially pre 1900. They have so much character. So when I saw this It definitely fit the bill!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-20-2022, 08:06 PM
Guy Bourque

Thrilled to add this very rare Rusty Staub Watch in its original box to my Expos collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (151.7 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.1 KB, 332 views)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Mikeknapp

Wow that’s too cool Guy!

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 04-22-2022, 08:39 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
Thrilled to add this very rare Rusty Staub Watch in its original box to my Expos collection
Man, love the watch!!
Old 04-23-2022, 06:51 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Man, love the watch!!
Agreed Love the watch and amazed the shape it is in

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-23-2022, 09:15 AM

Default Find

This arrived yesterday in the mail. Figure it is mid-20's. No markings as to a maker. Not really a glove person but the condition and that it was a HOF'er enticed me to buy. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabbit1.jpg (198.3 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit2.jpg (194.2 KB, 216 views)
Old 04-23-2022, 05:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's a good one. He's a pretty rare HOF endorser.

Nice pickup!
Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Really excited to win this in the recent Robert Edward Auction for my Integration collection.

1946 Puerto Rico contract of Larry Doby.

Unlike many players in that era who played in Puerto Rico (like Roberto Clemente), Doby was not a fixture there, and only played there for a single season. He played for the San Juan Senators hitting .349 and leading the team in HR's. This was the offseason that immediately preceded 1947 when he became the first black player to play in the AL.

I know that contracts are not everyone's cup of tea, but when I think of integration, I often think of the contracts as a hugely significant part. And winterball in PR was incredibly popular for players who were locked out of the American/National leagues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Larry Doby Puerto Rico Contract 1946.jpg (195.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Larry Doby Puerto Rico Contract 1946 2.jpg (197.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Larry Doby Puerto Rico Contract 1946 4.jpg (206.6 KB, 106 views)