NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2022, 06:53 AM
Richard

Default An Old Newbie

Like several posts I've read, I've been using this site to gain info on cards and read interesting collecting stories. I've recently retired and am now trying to better organize what I've got. I've been collecting since the early 60's but as life goes, I still have some of the cards and who knows where the others are. I'm a big Cardinals. In the early 80's we built a house and in the moving process I discovered my old cards and that got me started again. Initially started putting Cardinal team sets together. Fortunately, even as late as the 1980's you could buy pretty decent Dean, Frisch, and Hornsby cards without have to take out another mortgage. As I got back into the more rare stuff--some of which I'm still looking for--I also began finishing some of my Topps sets I had as a kid. Growing up in the South, I came to realize we never saw those high number packs, so finishing meant mainly buying the highs.

I've put together a pretty comprehensive list on Cardinals team sets back to the early 1900's if I can be of any help to anyone. Still have a few unanswered sets, like the M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn set. Not sure if Cruise, Meadows, and Shotton are Cardinals or not. I enjoy collecting but I also really enjoy learning about the sets. I still grab a set of Topps every year, but my passion is the old stuff.

I posted a pic of Musial yesterday. The pic is the same as his Bond Bread card, complete with the facsimile but it's too big (8x10) to be a Bond Bread premium. Don't have a clue what it is and am looking for help. Thanks to you guys who over the years have helped answer some of my questions on my collecting journey.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:57 AM

Default Welome

Hello Richard, and welcome aboard! The 1953 Bowman Color Stan the Man
is a perfect baseball card, one of my top 20 for sure. Enjoy the site!

Trent King
Old 03-13-2022, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

That’s awesome and welcome Richard! I’m interested in any dots Miller with big glove cards u may have.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:22 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow and wow

And welcome aboard

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-13-2022, 08:56 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRedbird View Post
Been following a lot of threads on this site for years but never posted. I'm recently retired and big Cardinals collector. I'm trying to organize years of collecting. I've got a photo of Musial that I have no idea what it might be. It's the same image as his Berk Ross and Bond Bread cards. It's larger than a Bond Bread premium. It measures 8x10 and is on thin glossy stock. Any ideas?Attachment 506902
Welcome aboard,

My guess is that your Musial photo is from the Team Packs that were available in the 1940's at the Ballpark Stadiums.

I have some of these 25-player photos packs of the Yankees, Giants, and Indians.

BOND BREAD, TIP TOP BREAD and BOWMAN GUM created many of their BB cards from these photos.

EXAMPLES......

---

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-13-2022, 08:56 AM
Richard

Default Dots with the big glove

Only have one of ole Dots, the E106 Am Caramel with the dreaded "A" grade. I believe there's 3 cards of him with this pose and shown with the Cardinals: E106, T216 Kotton, and D303. I believe he can also be found listed with Pittsburgh on the Kotton issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4866.jpg (100.3 KB, 246 views)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:58 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Only have one of ole Dots, the E106 Am Caramel with the dreaded "A" grade. I believe there's 3 cards of him with this pose and shown with the Cardinals: E106, T216 Kotton, and D303. I believe he can also be found listed with Pittsburgh on the Kotton issue.
Nice! You know your dotses!!!!
Old 03-13-2022, 01:47 PM
David McDonald

Greetings, Richard. One of my favorite issues is the 1931 Metropolitan Studios photos. I trust you are familiar with them. Terrific images of each ballplayer. Imagine if the other fifteen teams had issued such a set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Metropolitan Studios Gus Mancuso.jpg (195.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 03-13-2022, 02:00 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Here's a Dots Miller pin back that sold at Hake's. Cool as can be!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dots Miller 1910 (1).jpg (192.0 KB, 182 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-13-2022, 02:22 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Here's a Dots Miller pin back that sold at Hake's. Cool as can be!
He looks about 15 years old in that photo.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:08 PM
Richard

This is a great set. Most are pics I had never seen.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:48 AM
Richard

Yeah, this one's got me stumped. You'd think if this was a team pack, other examples would have popped up over the years. The Cards issued some Dear Fan postcards and did some regional stuff in the early 50's but I've not seen any team packs of them till the late 50's. I've seen several examples for the Indians and Yanks. I figured since they didn't own Sportsmans Park till 1954 maybe they didn't do a lot of souvenir stuff at the ballpark. Who knows. Cool picks you attached. I read an article on the Transogram cards from 1969 and 70. I remember buying those little statues at Kmart. Didn't realize that almost all of the transogram cards are repeats of the 68 Topps cards. There's a few exceptions but most came from a Topps card.