NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2022, 10:19 AM
Tony. Biviano

Default SGC Strikes Again!!!!!

Keep in mind that there are no crease, lumps or bumps that I can see. Went over with a magnifying glass and came up with nothing. Even if there was a minor blemish, that grade is not warranted. If anyone can point out the deficiency and I would appreciate it.

IMG_2824 by Tony Biviano, on Flickr

IMG_2821 by Tony Biviano, on Flickr

Last edited by cammb; 03-12-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

This is crazy, I would've guessed 5 or 6

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2022, 10:32 AM
+0m J()rd@N

I would say it's his 4.07 ERA

That's craziness.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Chase

Impossible to tell from those pics but there absolutely has to be a wrinkle to take it down that low.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:43 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Impossible to tell from those pics but there absolutely has to be a wrinkle to take it down that low.
I thought of a wrinkle that I'm not seeing, if so, I was expectinga 6 . Would a wrinkle take it down three grades?
Old 03-12-2022, 10:50 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

That’s a great looking 3. Here is what I saw (not saying it knocks it down to a 3, though): a little diamondie; a few fish eyes; and a very small nick out of the card on the back, mid right side. Nice card.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I thought of a wrinkle that I'm not seeing, if so, I was expectinga 6 . Would a wrinkle take it down three grades?
Yes it could. Would get nothing higher than a 4. It appears NM-MT, to me.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:28 AM
Dave

Yeah, it kind of makes you think, what's the point of a 10 point grading system, if 95% of the surviving cards from a particular common series from 60's, are now all technically 1's and 2's.

You just threw 30 bucks in the ocean to grade a 50 cent card.

A 1961 Topps card should be judged on how it was supposed to present when it came out of a pack in 1961, based on it's original production specs.

Not how a diamond laser cut Panini Prizm card comes out of the factory today.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:29 AM
Dave

Gotta be at least a warp or a bend or a deep press on there somewhere....or it's just a screw-up.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Yes it could. Would get nothing higher than a 4. It appears NM-MT, to me.
SGC 3, Last years PSA 7.

that's what I thought too. Recently, people are saying that it could have a slight surface wrinkle and still get a 5?

"GRADE

QUALITY
EX

DESCRIPTION
80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Topps Stan Musial A.jpg (194.4 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg 1959 Topps Stan Musial A2.jpg (199.9 KB, 634 views)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yeah, it kind of makes you think, what's the point of a 10 point grading system, if 95% of the surviving cards from a particular common series from 60's, are now all technically 1's and 2's.

A 1961 Topps card should be judged on how it was supposed to present when it came out of a pack in 1961, based on it's original production specs.

You see it as throwing away 30 bucks for a common, I see it as a necessity on completing a graded set .I think it is one particular grader. I have success in recent subs then I get this. Not the first time.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

SGC is grading like an entitled debutant right now, I wish CSG would change their hideous lime green label and offer a black apron, they'd get all my business.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
SGC 3, Last years PSA 7.

that's what I thought too. Recently, people are saying that it could have a slight surface wrinkle and still get a 5?

"GRADE

QUALITY
EX

DESCRIPTION
80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card."
S0metimes it is just jaw dropping. You must have gotten the same grader as me.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

AND I'd say it's a waste of 30 bucks 9 times outta 10. In a 10 card submission, there are gonna be 6's that are 3's and 7's that are 5's. I think they grade 55 bowmans and 53 topps fair. Everything else is minus 2 grades. I like their service and took a few chances. Will not send in to anyone again. Just re-affrirmed my feelings how stupid it is for the true collector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle A1.jpg (195.8 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 Bowman Hank Aaron A1.jpg (196.7 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Yogi Berra A2.jpg (197.4 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Bob Feller A2.jpg (196.3 KB, 617 views)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:10 PM
Sam Dodero

Default Grade

Sad!
Old 03-12-2022, 12:29 PM
Dave

Quote:
You see it as throwing away 30 bucks for a common, I see it as a necessity on completing a graded set .I think it is one particular grader. I have success in recent subs then I get this. Not the first time.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you for sending the card in to begin with.

I meant that SGC threw away your 30 bucks when they miss-graded your card to begin with (assuming there's nothing hidden I can't see in the scan).

You obviously wouldn't have sent it in if you expected to only get a "3" for your set.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

When there was that 'walkthrough of SGC' video floating around, the thing that struck me the most was the machine it put each card through (for any 'The Curse of Oak Island' watchers, they have something similar) that was like a cross between a blacklight and an x-ray machine. That sucker instantly showed all sorts of invisible things impossible to see in regular light - wrinkles, bends, etc.

If your card wasn't just a straight f*ck up by SGC, then I would see if any unseen issues become apparent under a blacklight.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:06 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
When there was that 'walkthrough of SGC' video floating around, the thing that struck me the most was the machine it put each card through (for any 'The Curse of Oak Island' watchers, they have something similar) that was like a cross between a blacklight and an x-ray machine. That sucker instantly showed all sorts of invisible things impossible to see in regular light - wrinkles, bends, etc.

If your card wasn't just a straight f*ck up by SGC, then I would see if any unseen issues become apparent under a blacklight.
They also used blacklights to discover what was going on in people's bedrooms in early 2000s MTV Room Raiders. Blacklights discover everyone's dirty little secrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 03-12-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:14 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Keep in mind that there are no crease, lumps or bumps that I can see. Went over with a magnifying glass and came up with nothing. Even if there was a minor blemish, that grade is not warranted. If anyone can point out the deficiency and I would appreciate it.

IMG_2824 by Tony Biviano, on Flickr

IMG_2821 by Tony Biviano, on Flickr
Grading that card a 3 is criminal IMO. This is the reason I would no longer send card to SGC or PSA for grading.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:17 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

I don’t know about you, but “perceptible to the human eye” seems to me like a reasonable requirement for what should be considered in grading. Sheesh.

Last edited by ASF123; 03-12-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:37 PM
Jim Reynolds

I think the print dots and registration issue is what did the card in.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It looks like there could be a very small amount of paper loss in the top right corner. I had this exact same thing happen to me before. Try looking at that corner again through a loupe. If that's not it, you're probably missing a minor reverse wrinkle somewhere.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:42 PM
€r!©k §µmmćr$

Default Seller Ready?

Can post a link to the seller-ready images from SGC? Those will eliminate the glare and shadows that are on your photos. I agree with others, however, that for that card to be a 3 there must be a wrinkle or paper loss somewhere.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:14 PM
Marcos

I don’t understand the ‘wrinkle theory’ for the 3 Grade this card received. The grading company’s criteria for a 5 Grade reads:

“80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.”

Certainly, a definition of the term “VERY slight surface or “spider” crease” would be helpful - but I’m sure it boils down to subjectivity. Btw, the company put the word ‘very’ in all-caps — not me.

Considering the other visible aspects of the card, it seems that, based on their own criteria, it should grade around a 5. But a 3 is certainly puzzling.

The paper loss theory does make sense though.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Can post a link to the seller-ready images from SGC? Those will eliminate the glare and shadows that are on your photos. I agree with others, however, that for that card to be a 3 there must be a wrinkle or paper loss somewhere.
If you have an SGC account, you can log in and enter the cert number and see the pictures there.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

There may still be something hidden to the naked eye that SGC picked up on. They have an ultra-high resolution lighting camera that intensifies the image and projects it in an enlarged form for all to see. For example, sometimes they can spot hidden creases with that image. In your defense, I would say if it's not visible to the naked eye, then why are they so concerned about grading it as though it were visible?
Old 03-12-2022, 08:25 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Grading that card a 3 is criminal IMO. This is the reason I would no longer send card to SGC or PSA for grading.
The only thing I see is 2 small
white dots on the top black border

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-12-2022, 08:27 PM
qualitycards

Hard to believe that Buzhardt got the same grade as this N284 which is miscut, creased & has erasure marks

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 03-12-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Unfortunately they are being just like PSA. A wrinkle would not bring it down that low.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:39 PM

Nice card. Is this a water stain perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (42.2 KB, 314 views)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:15 PM
Br1an N0Iff

For the price the grading companies are charging, they should identify on orders like the one above why it graded what it did. The card appears NM-MT but gets a 3? At the very least a quick note on the slab stating why.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:29 PM
Bob Davies

I've been reading about and seeing more and more examples as presented here, when grading with SGC. Yes, their standards have certainly been stricter in the last year, but at times they seem unfair and inaccurate.

It's a bit of a slap in the face to submit something, only to have it come back and be disappointed. One person on a Facebook group called it insulting.

If so, it's a bit like a Monty Python skit.
"Send us your cards and we will degrade and insult and lower them, and you will pay us for the privilege."
Old 03-13-2022, 01:23 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Nice card. Is this a water stain perhaps?
I thought pen mark when I first saw it. That would certainly drop it to a 3.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:24 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Sgc ......

A PSA 8 of this same card just sold for $28.

A PSA 6 of this same card just sold for $4.

Surely the OP did not send it in to re-sell it or "reap the bounty" of this rarity.

It's a bummer but it might have been easier to try and just buy an existing graded #3 as the OP just wanted it graded.

Just a thought!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-13-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:06 AM
Tony. Biviano

You are right. I sometimes do just that. However I thought this was a no brainer. On principle, I am going to appeal and resubmit the card along with tthe thirty bucks. I have got to get an explanation.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:24 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Fair...

Quote:
You are right. I sometimes do just that. However I thought this was a no brainer. On principle, I am going to appeal and resubmit the card along with tthe thirty bucks. I have got to get an explanation.
That is your right Tony all day however if you are sending it back for an explanation, I'd not send the $30 and see if they would do it. I feel that folks on here have found the likely culprits. The stain or ink Stain on front, the print dots on top of front, the possible paper loss on corner and the chipping on the back right of card. I think with all of this it will not be higher than a 4. Looks like an 8 but its most likely a 3.5 or 4. It happens where these cards sneak by our well trained eyes as you know. Happens to all of us. I was not trying to make you feel bad I was just surprised that a PSA 6 had just sold for $4 ! Crazy! I do understand you just wanted it graded for your set or collection.

Thank you for the thread and I think we would all be curious the outcome or response from SGC, thanks!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-13-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Tony. Biviano

Just sent them an email asking them to look at the seller ready photos I did ask them to let me send the back without paying another fee due to the card being worth only 2 bucks.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:51 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Regrettably, you won’t get one. I am running into that wall now with them. Good luck with your attempt. I hope they do tell you but Brent Martin (SGC Collector Support) was pretty clear in his explanation that they don’t keep grading records as to why a card is graded a certain way. Maybe it will be different with a review submittal.

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 03-13-2022 at 10:52 AM.