NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2022, 11:30 AM
John Donovan

Default The Moe Berg Differential

I picked up a copy of the "The Catcher Was a Spy" (a biography about Moe Berg by Nicholas Dawidoff), and since it's pretty common that I enjoy acquiring a card of a player if I read a book about him, I figured I would pick up a Moe Berg card. Unlike cards of the other biographies I read (Mays, Mantle, Ruth, etc.) I figured this card would be relatively cheap. He's a "common" player. Baseball Reference lists him as having a NEGATIVE WAR stat.

Well, evidently, baseball card values can be based on more than just stats, because I was shocked at how expensive Berg cards are (he has a 1933 Goudey and a couple late 30's Play Ball issues). I was figuring I could pick up a beater copy in the $20 to $30 range. Nope. Nothing less than $100 and most well above.

So evidently, I'm not the ONLY person who considered getting a Berg card after reading the book (or watching the movie).

That got me thinking, are there other players that have disproportionately high card prices based on something other than stats or HOF status?

Maybe members of the Black Sox (not named Shoeless Joe)?
Michael Jordan baseball cards?

Can anyone else think of any baseball card that has this same "Moe Berg Differential" priced in?
Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 AM
John Donovan

Oh, and I'm not talking about scarcity. Obviously if a card is short printed, has a corrected error, etc. it can have a higher value. I'm thinking about factors that would make a player's cards more expensive relative to equally available cards in the set.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Bob C.

Benny Bengough and Andy Pafko - number 1 cards in two of the most popular sets ever.

Also maybe Ray Chapman - only player ever killed from playing baseball.

Bill Wambsganss - only player to ever have an unassisted triple play in a world series.

John (Jack) Graney - supposedly first ballplayer to become a baseball broadcaster/announcer.

Earle "Greasy" Neale and George Halas - both famous, but not for baseball.

Moonlight Graham - for obvious movie related reasons.

Dave DeBusschere and Danny Ainge - basketball stars.

Jack Kemp - politician. (Strictly football though.)

Johnny Berardino, Chuck Connors, Joe Garagiola and Bob Ueker - later on TV or announcer fame?

I'm sure I'm missing others. There are some other TV actors from football I'm forgetting, like Fred Dwyer.

Last edited by BobC; 01-12-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:40 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Titus

The Titus T206 comes to mind...

Cheers,
Geno
Old 01-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Rob

Default Mickey Hatcher Buyer's Guide

1986 Fleer Mickey Hatcher. About 2 weeks ago on eBay someone sold a PSA 10, asking over $1100 and 'best offer' was excepted. People are asking $150 for 9's and 8.5's. You can find raw for $5, but most sellers start raw prices at $30-$50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleerhatchersgc.jpg (77.9 KB, 680 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

1952 Mothers Cookies Chuck Connors

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-12-2022, 11:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I don't believe there is any significant premium attached, but I think the E90-1 Eddie Grant is somewhat special as he was the the only MLB'er killed in action in WWI.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

1952 Topps Tony Bartirome, due to that one guy hoarding them.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Bob C.

Just thought of a couple others, Dom and Vince DiMaggio, for a very obvious reason.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:12 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Moe Berg

Not sure if you are interested in so-called "art cards," but Helmar Brewing has some really nice ones of vintage and early era players. Below is a cabinet card of Berg which just sold for about $70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOe.jpg (74.7 KB, 663 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:23 PM

Here are a couple more:

Ten Million in the 1911 Obak set - name

John Halla 1912 Zeenut set - cool horizontal pose

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 01-12-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:25 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great history and story behind Moe Berg

Very interesting thread

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-12-2022, 12:28 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Here are a couple more:

Ten Million in the 1911 Obak set - name

Brian
Buck Weaver too. Black Sox generally command a premium in most sets.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:29 PM
Bob C.

And possibly Monty Stratton? You don't normally have Jimmy Stewart play you in a movie (The Stratton Story) without some extra recognition, right?

So the same may be said for Jimmy Piersall as well. Besides the notoriety for already having replaced Ted Williams in the '54 Bowman set, you get Anthony Perkins to play you in a movie about your struggles in life (Fear Strikes Out), and Karl Malden plays your Dad in it to boot.

Last edited by BobC; 01-12-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:39 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Benny Bengough and Andy Pafko - number 1 cards in two of the most popular sets ever.

Bill Wambsganss - only player to ever have an unassisted triple play in a world series.

John (Jack) Graney - supposedly first ballplayer to become a baseball broadcaster/announcer.

Johnny Berardino, Chuck Connors, Joe Garagiola and Bob Euker - later on TV or announcer fame?

I'm sure I'm missing others. There are some other TV actors from football I'm forgetting, like Fred Dwyer.

Excellent point about card #1 in a set having an increased value. Probably mostly due to the "Rubber Band Effect" making it difficult to find those cards in higher grades rather than just notoriety of being number one.

You have a good list of others...have you actually noticed a disproportianate value increase in this list of players (Chapman, Wambsganss, Graney, etc.)?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:42 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
1986 Fleer Mickey Hatcher. About 2 weeks ago on eBay someone sold a PSA 10, asking over $1100 and 'best offer' was excepted. People are asking $150 for 9's and 8.5's. You can find raw for $5, but most sellers start raw prices at $30-$50.
Haha, I forgot about that card. I didn't realize it actually sold for a premium.

But that modern Fleer card made me remember the "obvious" 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken. Even the readily available, corrected "black box" version can still fetch a couple bucks, as opposed to the nickel you might get for other commons in that set.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Central Characters in Some of Baseball's Biggest Tragedies:

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1642016494
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1642016499
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1642016503
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914CrackerJackGandil9507Front.jpg (44.7 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg 1917Collins-MccarthyChapmanSGC7026Front.jpg (58.5 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg 1971ToppsFlood0842Front.jpg (75.2 KB, 635 views)
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Not sure if you are interested in so-called "art cards," but Helmar Brewing has some really nice ones of vintage and early era players. Below is a cabinet card of Berg which just sold for about $70.
Yeah, I typically like the look of some of those "art cards", especially the Helmars. But I don't buy them, because I can't help but think at least a portion of their business comes from selling cards to people that don't really know exactly what they are buying.

I can imagine my wife or kids looking online trying to find a cool Christmas gift for me and inadvertently over paying for something like that.
Michael

I think Don Mossi cards go for more than most commons, although I do not collect any sets he is in, so I could be wrong.

Johnny Vander Meer and Don Larsen also come to mind as possibilities.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:47 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Bob Uecker comes to mind as he's more famous for his Comedy and personality than he was for Playing baseball
Old 01-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Ch@d

Moe Berg's '33 Goudey was the most expensive non-HOF card that I picked up last year while working on the set, and was actually more expensive than probably 3/4 of the HOF cards. In addition to his exploits for the OSS/CIA (great book by the way, I read it last year), Berg also gets a bump for his Jewish heritage. Kind of like '33 Goudey #52 Andy Cohen, which is tough to find in good condition and also commands a significant premium, I'm told due to being a target for collectors of Jewish players.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 01-12-2022, 12:52 PM
Michael

Now that I think of it, what about Jim Thorpe? His card prices are not because of his -0.2 career WAR.

On a morbid note Harry Agganis and Ken Hubbs.

Art Whitney (but only "with dog").
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 01-12-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added to post instead of making a new post
Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Excellent point about card #1 in a set having an increased value. Probably mostly due to the "Rubber Band Effect" making it difficult to find those cards in higher grades rather than just notoriety of being number one.

You have a good list of others...have you actually noticed a disproportianate value increase in this list of players (Chapman, Wambsganss, Graney, etc.)?
The Bengough and Pafko cards are well known for their increased values due to being the #1 cards in those sets. There's even a 2010 movie,"Cop Out", starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan, where the whole movie revolves around a '52 Pafko card Willis owns in it.

Not necessarily a really huge value jump for Chapman, Wambsganss, and Graney, but they do have the unique circumstances associated with each of them that has some collectors a little more interested in their cards. And oddly enough, all three of them played together for the Indians in 1920, which is the same year Chapman was killed, and Wambsganss performed his feat in the World Series. After a 14 year MLB career, all with Cleveland, Graney went on to become the Indians play-by-play radio announcer from 1932 to 1953.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Zeenuts:

--Jimmy Claxton: first African American on a US baseball card issue

--Prince Henry Oana: Native Hawaiian player

--Fatty Arbuckle: part owner of the Vernon PCL team

--The Jewish guys: Sammy Bohne, Solly Mishkin, Andy Cohen

--Football HOF guys: Jim Thorpe, Ernie Nevers

--I think there is also a card that is popular with LDS members because he was one of the first Mormons on a card. Can't remember who it is but I know his stuff sells at a premium.

Native American players like Moses Yellowhorse (Exhibit card)

All of the common guys from The Glory Of Their Times are collected for more than their playing skills. I bought a signed Wiliie Kamm Zeenut only because of the book.

Cruddy siblings of great players: Tommy Aaron, Dom/Vince DiMaggio.

The non-HOF Boys of Summer: Newcombe, Gilliam, Furillo, etc.

Guys who got injured: Herb Score, Pete Reiser, Tony Conigliaro

1965 Topps Masanori Murakami: first Japanese player in MLB. The authors of The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book stated that Murakami was "with the possible exception of Yogi Berra, the only major league ballplayer who did not speak English." Speaking of that book, there are a bunch of bum players who were ridiculed in there and that, for me, spark a bit of name recognition interest when I see the cards from the book, like Coot Veal or Cot Deal or Sibbi Sisti.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-12-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:44 PM
John Donovan

Wow, you guys are really bringing it today!

Lots of players and cards mentioned in this thread already that I never would have thought of on my own!
Old 01-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Bob Uecker comes to mind as he's more famous for his Comedy and personality than he was for Playing baseball
Mentioned him earlier already. And don't forget his added notoriety as the real life announcer for the Brewers since 1971, yes since 1971, and still doing them. He also did network broadcasts over several decades with ABC and NBC, teaming with the likes of Bob Costas and Joe Morgan. He was a guest on The Tonight Show something like 100 times, where it was Carson who dubbed him Mr. Baseball. Was the ring announcer for Wrestlemania III, and a ringside announcer for Wrestlemania IV. He starred in the "Mr. Belvedere" TV sitcom, along with cameos and other appearances and voice parts in numerous TV shows, movies and commercial. However, he may best be known for his appearances in Miller Lite commercials in the '80s, and for his iconic role as play-by-play announcer Harry Doyle in the "Major League" movie franchise. What a career!
Old 01-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
I picked up a copy of the "The Catcher Was a Spy" (a biography about Moe Berg by Nicholas Dawidoff), and since it's pretty common that I enjoy acquiring a card of a player if I read a book about him, I figured I would pick up a Moe Berg card. Unlike cards of the other biographies I read (Mays, Mantle, Ruth, etc.) I figured this card would be relatively cheap. He's a "common" player. Baseball Reference lists him as having a NEGATIVE WAR stat.

Well, evidently, baseball card values can be based on more than just stats, because I was shocked at how expensive Berg cards are (he has a 1933 Goudey and a couple late 30's Play Ball issues). I was figuring I could pick up a beater copy in the $20 to $30 range. Nope. Nothing less than $100 and most well above.

So evidently, I'm not the ONLY person who considered getting a Berg card after reading the book (or watching the movie).

That got me thinking, are there other players that have disproportionately high card prices based on something other than stats or HOF status?

Maybe members of the Black Sox (not named Shoeless Joe)?
Michael Jordan baseball cards?

Can anyone else think of any baseball card that has this same "Moe Berg Differential" priced in?
Semi-OT to your question, but you should consider adding a Lt. Doolittle with the Moe Berg. He's in the Sky Birds set and another set that escapes my mind at the moment.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-12-2022, 02:06 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Dummy Hoy.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:28 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Dummy Hoy.
Good one, George!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172 Dummy Hoy - front.jpg (76.0 KB, 582 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Dummy Hoy.
That is a good one George.

Along those lines I would also add Billy Sunday from the OJ set. Later on became a famous evangelist in the earliest decades of the 20th century.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:43 PM
Val Kehl

"Shag" also appears in the T206 and T209-2 sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222 Shaughnessy - front.jpg (76.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg E222 Shaughnessy - back.jpg (76.4 KB, 572 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Michael

T209-2 B. E. Thompson (dressed as Uncle Sam).

Also any Mascot or non-HOF "with Mascot" cards.

Last edited by molenick; 01-12-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:08 PM
Scott Russell

I'll see your Dummy Hoy and raise you a Dummy Taylor. OK it's not a raise really, but he does sell for multiples of a T206 common. If Pete Gray had a card from his playing days I think it would sell for a ton.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 01-12-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:19 PM
Jim Todd

I’ve definitely had the same experience as the OP in trying to buy Mo Berg, and also a similar one with Ray Chapman after reading Mike Sowell’s “The Pitch that Killed”.

These might be fightin words to some, but what about Smoky Joe Wood? He was a very good player for a few years, but his cards are more valuable than many HOFers.

Also Bo Jackson. Junk wax, and the man could mash, but was a bigger celebrity than a great player (8.3 career WAR).
Old 01-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Jeremy

Default Muffs and Boners

Merkle and Snodgrass. I keep getting outbid on nice T205s of those. A PSA 6 T205 Merkle just went for $1,000!
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 01-12-2022, 04:04 PM
John Donovan

OK, to try and categorize some themes, it feels like here are some reasons a players cards might be higher OTHER than baseball ability:

1. Post baseball career (I think this category would encompass Berg, Uecker, and any another player who went on to be a politician, actor, etc.)

2. Tragedy (Ray Chapman)

3. Overcoming physical disabilities ("Dummy" Hoy, Jim Abbot, etc.)

4. Religious or Heritage (Jewish players, Native American players, etc. or other traits valued by large collector bases).

5. Freak Athlete in Other sports (Jim Thorpe, Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson)

What am I missing here?
Old 01-12-2022, 04:06 PM
John Donovan

Oh, maybe:

6. Significant, famous on-field occurrence (Branca, Thompson, Merkle, Buckner (do Buckner's cards have any kind of premium?))
Old 01-12-2022, 04:07 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

1984 Fleer Glen Hubbard
Old 01-12-2022, 04:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not sure if it's still in effect these days, but the 1965 Topps Masandri Murakami rookie card was always stupidly priced only due to him being a Japanese 'first.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 01-12-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:14 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Maybe someone can help jog my memory, but there's a basketball card that has the Mendendez brothers prominently sitting courtside.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-12-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
OK, to try and categorize some themes, it feels like here are some reasons a players cards might be higher OTHER than baseball ability:

1. Post baseball career (I think this category would encompass Berg, Uecker, and any another player who went on to be a politician, actor, etc.)

2. Tragedy (Ray Chapman)

4. Religious or Heritage (Jewish players, Native American players, etc. or other traits valued by large collector bases).

What am I missing here?

Another category might be solely a player's interesting name (1911 Obak Ten Million is a prime example).

And interesting/different pose, such as the 1912 Zeenut of Halla, the Mickey Hatcher card shown, 1952 Topps Gus Zernial with the 6 balls stuck to his bat, the O'Brien twins in the 1954 Topps set.

Brian
Old 01-12-2022, 05:38 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Wally Moon. You pay for a full card and only get a single eyebrow.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

2. Tragedy (Ray Chapman)

What am I missing here?
The #1 cards in some sets?
Old 01-12-2022, 05:48 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

While not a superstar, Dummy Hoy wasn't a slouch and he had to overcome a serious shortcoming most of his peers did not.

How about Billy Sunday and this guy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kid Madden Rock.jpg (80.9 KB, 497 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:53 PM
Justin

Fun lists and categorization.

Chuck Connors is probably the top of the list for my collection. Thread needs more cards...
connors.jpg
Original Newton Estape photo, 1949-50 Acebo, 1950 Big League Stars, and 1949-50 Ansco.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Johnny Berardino, Chuck Connors, Joe Garagiola and Bob Ueker - later on TV or announcer fame?

There are many more when you think about it. I usually get San Diego baseball fans to guess the wrong answer for the following question:

What player born in the San Diego county led his league in homeruns 6 times? Most baseball fans from San Diego will answer Ted Williams because he's from San Diego. The answer is Gavvy Cravath. He's from San Diego county (Escondido). Williams led his league in HRs four times.

I think Cravath T206 cards have a small premium over common players. If not, then go get one before they do.

Edited to add - he missed a triple crown by being second in the league in batting average in 1913 - he led the league in HRs and RBIs that year.

I could go on...

Last edited by Fred; 01-12-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:42 PM
David M.

There were cards featured in "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book" that came out in 1973. This book showed some original Topps cards and pointed out funny things about various cards which really made you want to pick up some of the featured cards that you never would have thought about. The 1952 Topps Gus Zernial is one particular card I remember that they really had fun with. The baseballs glued to the bat, Gus giving the okay sign, and his pink shirt. Just fun stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952_topps_31_gus_zernial_fr.jpg (78.7 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 01-13-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:17 PM

1969 Topps FB Brian Piccolo.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:29 PM

Anyone mention the Keith Comstock minor league card yet?

Old 03-11-2022, 03:42 PM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Maybe someone can help jog my memory, but there's a basketball card that has the Menendez brothers prominently sitting courtside.