NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2021, 11:25 AM

Default 1942 Gum Inc. card #129 and the recent rediscovery of one man's story and bravery...

Hi all,

I recently acquired a lot of four Gum Inc. war cards from 1942. The highlight of the group is card #129 titled "Negro Swimmer Tows Survivors"... Today the card would carry a different title but back then the world was a different place and unfortunately an act of bravery must also carry the notation of race.

The image and reverse side explains the heroic actions of Petty Officer Charles Jackson French. French was serving on board the U.S.S. Gregory during the Guadalcanal campaignin 1942. On the night of September 4-5, the U.S.S. Gregory was sunk during engagement with Japanese forces and as she slipped beneath the waves much of her surviving crew, many of whom were wounded, climbed into a life raft. The waters they were located in were shark infested and in sight of land. The land however was hostile and the raft was drifting towards it. This is when French decided to strip off his clothing and have his fellow crew tie a rope around his waist and to the raft. He lept into the water and began to swim, towing the raft out of harms way. French would end up swimming through the night for between 6-8 hours pulling his men until they were sighted and picked up by an American vessel.

After the war many, including his crew, believed that French was deserving of a much higher honor than the simple letter of commendation that he received. It is clear that the longstanding racism within America denied him further honors and recognition. When news of his heroics broke in the states and around the world he was unidentified, only known as "French" he was then immortalized first in the 1942 Gum Inc. card set and then in a newspaper comic strip. Following this he was identified and went on war bond tours through the United States and was honored in his hometown of Foreman, Arkansas. He sadly passed away at the young age of 37 in 1957 inpart due to alcoholism. It seems he was swept into the pages of history. That is until late last month when his story was rediscovered (originally unearthed in the early 2000's in part due to card #129) and shared on a broader scale through the likes of social media. It was at this time that I like many others found out about Charles Jackson French.

The purpose of my post here is to share what is an interesting card, yes, but also to continue to share the story and the legacy of Charles Jackson French. As a student earning his degree in history and who has an interest in the Second World War as well as the modern Civil Rights Movement of the 50s and 60s I am surprised that his story had flown undetected under even my inquisitive radar and I figure by sharing this here it could help introduce him to even more people and continue in helping tell his story and see to it that he might get the recognition he deserves.

Here is a link to a more detailed telling of French's story: https://ishof.org/assets/charles-jac...ch_article.pdf

Jake

Last edited by AstroJake09; 06-05-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:41 AM
Wayne V

Default Wow !

Wow, what a great story, and a true hero.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Wow, what a great story, and a true hero.
I whole heartedly agree!
Old 06-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Awesome story and I really like the cards. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-05-2021, 05:27 PM

Hero
Old 06-05-2021, 05:33 PM
A.J. Johnson

Amazing story!

Next time you hear some bullshit racist falsehood about African Americans not being good swimmers just remember the name Charles Jackson French!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 06-05-2021, 05:46 PM
Steve Murray

I think the Navy is naming it's next aircraft carrier after this hero.

Edit: I'm mistaken. It's the Doris Miller, another African American.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 06-05-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:50 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
I think the Navy is naming it's next aircraft carrier after this hero.

Edit: I'm mistaken. It's the Doris Miller, another African American.
In Dusty Kleiss's book, he has a photo of him and a few others, including Doris Miller, being decorated by Chester Nimitz a few months after Pearl Harbor. The only high-quality copy I could find online is here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...dway-469872292. Unfortunately, Doris Miller did not survive the war; he was killed when the aircraft carrier Liscome Bay was torpedoed and sunk in late 1943.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great story, thanks for sharing. Bravery doesn't care about the color of your skin, neither does cowardice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-05-2021, 08:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Thanks for the sharing. I was not familiar with Mr. French's story, but I love non-sports cards and sets out of the mainstream.