NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default 1971 Topps Football - anyone else collecting this set?

1971 Topps is my favorite vintage football set, and the first set I collected and put together, from ages 8-12. The corny cartoons, vivid borders, and some fun posed shots amidst the portraits, I love the design.

As far as I'm aware, there are no variations. I always like to add variants and recurring print defects to my complete sets, but there's not much to ad for this year, besides some miscuts/out of focus cards and the occasional blank back (I have Dixon and Yempremian).

I'm now working on the Game cards as a compliment to my set, but don't have any of the Posters. For a 1 per pack insert, the Game cards seem to be extremely common and cheaper than the base cards.

Much of my love for this set is sentimental now, as the first set I collected with my father. I quickly turned to vintage, my first 71 being a Jim Otto given to me by our neighbor from his childhood collection. I loved the All-Star Blue and Red borders, and my father and I slowly put it together mostly from card shows and my local card shop, sadly long since closed, with every penny I could scrounge up. Bradshaw and Simpson were the final cards, as a Bradshaw was pretty expensive to me at that time (even a creased one took quite a few mowed lawns to afford). My mother didn't think it appropriate to spend my hard earned cash on a picture of OJ, so I got that one on the sly from my Dad to finish it.

Most of my set is what PSA would grade as Excellent but I call VG-EX, have a few I need to upgrade now but I'll be keeping the Poor condition Otto and a few sentimental favorites in my binder set. This is the only set I've done to any kind of a condition standard.

Sentimentality aside, it still measures up as a great set to me. 263 cards is not that many to put together, the design screams 'the 70's' to me, and the second series, like 1968-1970, is not at all difficult even if notably less common than the first series. Rookies of Bradshaw, Houston, Lanier, Mean Joe Greene, Schottenheimer, Charlie Sanders and Wehrli. I'm putting together 68, 69, 70 and 72 (ignoring the third series for now), but none of them do I like as much as the 71's.

The 1971 O-Pee-Chee CFL set carries a similar design, and the front design was recycled for the 30 card 1974 Wonder Bread issue, which is pretty easy to put together as well. The Wonder Bread cards can be found in a version without the series name at top on the card backs, which is much more difficult to locate and put together. Upper Deck pilfered the design for their 2001 UD Vintage set, though none of the recycled design sets use the cheesy cartoon player Topps inserted in place of a team logo, since they apparently did not have licenses to use team logos on their cards.

Is anyone else a fan of the 71 issue? Have any favorite cards, any cool print defects or proofs or uncut material? Opened a pack or box of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1711.jpg (19.1 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1712.jpg (19.8 KB, 971 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Rob

Great post, love the personal side of your collecting this set. The '71 set was also the first set that I bought packs and collected as a kid in California in '71, and then I went right into '72 baseball. But. unlike you, I wasn't always such a big fan. It had some sentimental appeal, but I wasn't that big a fan of the design as my collecting went on through the years. That all changed about three years ago, after I had finished or nearly finished all of the other '70s sets (rebuilt actually after the cliche young adult purge) and wanted to start the '71. Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, I got a great deal on about a third of the set, but in EXMT or better type condition. So, I was sorta stuck, and I have built the entire set in EXMT or better with the exception of Bradshaw, who I have yet to acquire.

In the process of building the set, I enjoyed looking for high grade examples to add to my set, and fell in love with the joy of finding nice ones to fill my set. In the process, I was constantly finding upgrades and replacing and upgrading my set. I was very fortunate to have a dealer show up a couple of times at a local show who had tons of them in nice shape. I have ended up with my 262/263 set, and am about 2/3 of the way with a lesser set with all of my dupes.

I particularly like some of the Dolphins cards from this set, the Dick Anderson, Kiick, Csonka, and Warfield cards just look great to me with the color combos.

I also agree about the Wonder Bread set, its a nice looking set as well. I'm almost done with the '70 set, and like you want to move on to the '68 and '69 sets.

Good luck on those sets, enjoyed seeing and hearing about your journey on this one.

Last edited by Kurri17; 11-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Jeff P

I'm a fan of this set too! Love the nice clean look of the '71s. They were a few years before I started collecting as a kid but I completed this set some time ago as I always thought it looked great.

Thanks for sharing you story and cards!

jeff
Old 11-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 71 Topps FB

Umm... I collect this set.

Time is limited tonight but I have a few stories to tell...even if I may have told them here before and some of you know about my 71T obsession.

I’ll be back...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:05 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Love this set. Still have the ones I picked up in packs each week I came home from flag football in the 6th grade. Will someday get back to finishing the set...sadly, my football days are over though. LOL
Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Tom S

Default This was the only set I collected as a child

As an 11 year old I discovered football cards in September of 1971. Every time I found a quarter I ran to the store and bought a a pack. I traded with friends and flipped them at the playground. We didn't care about condition or saving the cards.

I remember looking at the back of George Blanda's card. The print was so small to fit his line by line stats (1949-1970).

In November when the weather got bad, we took the cards to the playground and throw them up in the air and watched the little kids run after them.

About a year or so later I was at our local Woolworths and saw a whole display case of Cello packs they were trying to get rid of. Nobody wanted them. I believe they were packaged in little boxes like playing cards.

About 10 years ago I purchased the set in ex-nm shape for 220.00.

The write ups on the back were a little disappointing. Quoting stats from the College and Pro Football guides.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default More 71

Interesting that you were able to find the 71's in a quarter "box". Our town had none, only the 10 cents packs. I would do any chore I could in order to get a dime. That turned into cards right away!

At the same time, autumn 1971 in Vermont, we *could* still buy 1970 cards in the little box for a quarter. Big money for me!
Being only 9 years old, it didn't initially occur to me that they weren't the same season cards, but thought it was cool to be able to see one of the players you'd get. I recall having the 1970's mixed into my grocery bag collection.

In my next post I may update you on my current collection of 1971 FB. It may be too much...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
In my next post I may update you on my current collection of 1971 FB. It may be too much...
I think we are ready!
Larry
Old 12-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Is anyone is working on a raw set and want to trade (I have lots of extras)?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:16 PM

1971 Topps (-hockey) is my favorite year. Bought a ton of 71 FB as a snot nosed 9 year old & have 4 complete sets (nmmt, nm, exmt and ex) as well as 20 plus unopened wax, cello and raks from this set.

I have also opened a few packs over the last 15 years. Wax packs have a game card, poster and 8 regular series cards. Cello packs have 23 cards in a sequence of 7 cards/gum/8 cards/8 cards. Raks are the biggest bang for the buck as they contain 54 cards in three 18 card sections.

Below are a few pics of my packs. Will post pics of the uncut sheets and some notes about quasi variations later. JOhn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71toppsbox.jpg (78.4 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg 71topps.jpg (70.3 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg 71fbcellcsonka.jpg (79.0 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg 71toppsfbrak.jpg (73.6 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg 71toppsfootallrackpack.jpg (64.4 KB, 865 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Rob

OH my!! Simply gorgeous, and rare beasts indeed.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default iPad

I need to wipe the drool of envy from my iPad screen.
Amazing stuff , John!

I recall trying to help you with misfits that would identify the 2nd series sheet, as you had all the 1st series figured out.
Despite the yes, many thousands of these cards that I have, I don’t seem to run into the serious miscut cards lately.
Did you determine the layout of the 2nd series?

I know this is a show and tell, not a show and sell, but if you wanted to move an unopened pack someday, I’d be very interested. I would like to find a wrapper too. I haven’t ever looked for one, but seeing your awesome display here makes me desire one.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 17

I’m not going to compete with the quality of the work John is showing.

Maybe the quantity though...

But I bought two more good sized lots this week , one which had a low grade Bradshaw in it.
That allows me to slide the final card of the set into its binder slot!!

Oh wait...the way I wrote that might make it seem like I finally finished the set.
Well, true...but it is my 17th full set.

I have another 12 sets partially (mostly) full with binders/sheets awaiting the last ones. (A dozen more Bradshaw cards are needed)
And I have another large group of 11 sets started that I don’t have put in binders yet... but maybe this month when I get a few days off. That would make 40 partial sets. Kinda silly, eh?

Collect what you like...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
1971 Topps (-hockey) is my favorite year. Bought a ton of 71 FB as a snot nosed 9 year old & have 4 complete sets (nmmt, nm, exmt and ex) as well as 20 plus unopened wax, cello and raks from this set.

I have also opened a few packs over the last 15 years. Wax packs have a game card, poster and 8 regular series cards. Cello packs have 23 cards in a sequence of 7 cards/gum/8 cards/8 cards. Raks are the biggest bang for the buck as they contain 54 cards in three 18 card sections.

Below are a few pics of my packs. Will post pics of the uncut sheets and some notes about quasi variations later. JOhn

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and stuff guys! These packs are fantastic. I'd like to add a wrapper and one of the yellow boxes at some point as a cool supplement.

I'd love to see the uncut sheets, I don't believe I've ever ran into one. Quasi variations would be similarly appreciated .
Old 12-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Life got in the way this week but I’ll start posting the uncut sheets and notes about them this weekend.

I also have some beautiful 1971 2nd series candy apple red wrappers available for sale. Send me a message if you are interested in one.

John

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Brian, thanks again for your help with piecing together the uncut series 2 sheets. I have completed the job and will post them soon.

John
Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Is it just me, or do other people here recognize the names and the faces of almost everyone in these 1971 cards, yet, don't have a clue who 50 percent of the current players are? Hmmmm
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Is it just me, or do other people here recognize the names and the faces of almost everyone in these 1971 cards, yet, don't have a clue who 50 percent of the current players are? Hmmmm
I don’t have a clue who half of the current players are. I stopped watching but still love the old game and recognize each photo in the 71 set.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Ok, here is the first series uncut sheet. The standard size print sheet from this era was 264 cards but the first thing Topps did was to cut them in half (132 cards per) for easier handling.

This is the A or left side of the 264 card sheet. The checklist in row 1 column 1 was printed again with the 2nd series sheet so there is potential that this card has a variation in the printed data. Def. can have a "miscut border" variation as i will talk about with the series 2 sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71series1full.jpg (82.4 KB, 800 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Here is the B or right half of the 264 card sheet. As you can see Topps flipped the 6 row layouts therefore rows 1, 6, 7 and 12 can have "miscut" variations. Example the row 1 cards on sheet B can be miscut so bad that the top of the card has a white strip. If miscut on sheet A there will be a blue portion of the card above it on sheet A. Same type of logical apply's to rows 6, 7 and 12. Not really a variation but hey...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71series1fullalt.jpg (81.5 KB, 798 views)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:42 PM

I opened a first series cello pack about 8 years ago. The cards flip between the two halves until the sequence moved off the sheet, then the next card (usually) is on the same sheet. As mentioned above cellos were packed in a 7 cards/gum/8 cards (like a wax pack)/8 cards format. Wax packs moved the same way for 8 cards but you also got one poster and one game card (example below). Never opened a rak from 1971 but I'm pretty sure the sequencing for a section or two was different.

Back in 1971/72 would you rather spend 25 cents for 23 cards and a stick of gum or 30 cents for 24 cards, 3 posters, 3 game cards and 3 sticks of gum? My vote is the latter.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71fblts5.jpg (48.9 KB, 797 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-14-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Highlites from the cello pack i opened. If memory serves me correct 2/3 of them graded 8 and 1/3 9's from the ones i sent in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71cellorip2123.jpg (81.5 KB, 789 views)
File Type: jpg 71cellorip3124.jpg (80.9 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg 71cellorip3125.jpg (81.9 KB, 786 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Ok, here is the first series uncut sheet. The standard size print sheet from this era was 264 cards but the first thing Topps did was to cut them in half (132 cards per) for easier handling.

This is the A or left side of the 264 card sheet. The checklist in row 1 column 1 was printed again with the 2nd series sheet so there is potential that this card has a variation in the printed data. Def. can have a "miscut border" variation as i will talk about with the series 2 sheet.
Very awesome! Thanks for sharing these, never seen a sheet before
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Rob

Amazing stuff and great info. That is a beautiful Anderson, one of my favorite players and cards. Unreal to see straight from the pack cards.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:19 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I don’t have a clue who half of the current players are. I stopped watching but still love the old game and recognize each photo in the 71 set.
Yep, those guys back then...I could name you almost everyone on both sides of the ball, but not now. They were so colorful back in the day. Purple people eaters, doomsday defense, fearsome foursome, steel curtain, killer B's. Now they have a bunch of individuals that just want to dance after a sack or TD. I guess I'm just getting old. LOL
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-15-2019, 03:11 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Yep, those guys back then...I could name you almost everyone on both sides of the ball, but not now. They were so colorful back in the day. Purple people eaters, doomsday defense, fearsome foursome, steel curtain, killer B's. Now they have a bunch of individuals that just want to dance after a sack or TD. I guess I'm just getting old. LOL
It ain't just old age lol, I'm too young to have ever seen any of the 70's players, but between the rule changes, social politics in every broadcast, and focus on end zone dances, I'd rather keep learning about the old game and putting sets of those days together than deal with the modern stuff. Besides, they don't put cheesy cartoon characters in the card designs these days
Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Jeff P

A great discussion about a great set! Love when John pulls out his knowledge about uncut sheets and the order of cards in packs.

Great stuff!

jeff
Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Jeff H

I completed the 69, 70, 71, & 72 sets a while back. Of these sets the 71 set is my favorite. The bright boarders really make it stand out.
I am currently working on the 68 set, 1968 was the first year of sports cards purchases for me. It was a 7 mile walk to town to get to the local grocery store, grab a couple of packs of cards and stuff my mouth with gum and head home. Great times.

If there are others working on the 68 set and looking to trade, I have a large stack of extras to trade.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the props everyone. Time to post the series 2 sheets. Not sure which 132 card 1/2 sheet is A and which is B so will go in alphabetic order.

First is the AFC sheet. I had to piece together the sheet based off a 66 card (rows 2 thru 7) panel and then miscuts/salesman samples. Thanks to Mike at nearmintcards for creating the layout below.

The red CL printed with series 1 is found in rows 6 and 7. When miscut it can be found with either a white strip on the left or top (series 1), a red/blue left edge or a blue/red left edge. Miscut Bob Griese's can be found with a white left edge or a red left edge. M. Lane a white right edge or a red right edge. Then the row 1/6/7/12 miscut logic works as described for the rest of the applicable cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71series2_B.jpg (83.3 KB, 749 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-17-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:12 PM

Here's the 2nd series NFC sheet. Based off a 55 card panel and the study of miscuts. Note the card in row 3 & 10 column 7 should be Mike Bragg punter for the Redskins not the Saints player shown. Miscut logic described with AFC series 2 sheet can be used too as Jim Bakken, D. Jones and Jim T. can have different colored edges. Thanks again to Mike for creating the layout. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71series2pieced.jpg (82.9 KB, 759 views)

Last edited by jmoran19; 12-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Here's the 2nd series NFC sheet. Based off a 55 card panel and the study of miscuts. Note the card in row 3 & 10 column 7 should be Mike Bragg punter for the Redskins not the Saints player shown. Miscut logic described with AFC series 2 sheet can be used too as Jim Bakken, D. Jones and Jim T. can have different colored edges. Thanks again to Mike for creating the layout. John
All I can say is: WOW! Thank you for sharing your research again. That must have been one painstaking effort for you guys to piece together off miscuts
Old 12-19-2019, 08:35 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:

Oh wait...the way I wrote that might make it seem like I finally finished the set.
Well, true...but it is my 17th full set.

I have another 12 sets partially (mostly) full with binders/sheets awaiting the last ones. (A dozen more Bradshaw cards are needed)
And I have another large group of 11 sets started that I don’t have put in binders yet... but maybe this month when I get a few days off. That would make 40 partial sets. Kinda silly, eh?

Collect what you like...
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Do you collect Bartirome also?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One of my favorite sets as a kid. I busted a ton of packs in 1971; I was six. In 1977 I went into a local candy store with my family and found a partial box of 2nd series cello packs on sale. After much whining I got them all. Wish I still had them intact...one had a Bart Starr on top and one had a Namath showing.

Recently I purchased a small collection with some 1971s and some posters and game cards that were untouched. It was quite nostalgic opening crisp Topps posters for the first time. One of the handled posters was OJ and it turned out to have a beautiful vintage signature on it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
All I can say is: WOW! Thank you for sharing your research again. That must have been one painstaking effort for you guys to piece together off miscuts
Thanks, labor of love for this set.

Here is examples of the different 2nd series CL, pic one is from series 1 row 1 column 1. Pic 2 is from the series 2 sheet row 7 and 3rd pic is from row 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F7626804-8413-4D7B-A8D3-2DC50ACD5C3A.jpg (19.1 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg 179AE1D8-C35E-469C-9F35-0D9CB64DB808.jpg (17.8 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg 47D4D107-2C32-4A4E-9505-25A135E5FC40.jpg (14.9 KB, 704 views)
Old 12-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Talking Update to the quest

I acquired a few more big binders this week. I already had many 9 pocket sheets in preparation for this weekend when I had carved out some time to sort my 71's.

I put a thousand or so more cards away. I lined up the slots for 38 sets. There are still a lot of open holes in these binders. It's like starting over LOL.

17 full.
21 in progress.
(A dozen of those active 21 only need the big stars)

Yet, still no Bartirome

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I acquired a few more big binders this week. I already had many 9 pocket sheets in preparation for this weekend when I had carved out some time to sort my 71's.

I put a thousand or so more cards away. I lined up the slots for 38 sets. There are still a lot of open holes in these binders. It's like starting over LOL.

17 full.
21 in progress.
(A dozen of those active 21 only need the big stars)

Yet, still no Bartirome

At this point, you might as well go for an even 50
Old 12-23-2019, 02:55 PM

I have a complete set of this as well. Probably my favorite Topps Set of the 70's. I remember buying packs, cello packs and also rack packs to complete them. I specifically remember buying a rack pack because I needed the Andy Russell All Star Card... and he was on top. Lo and behold when I opened the rack pack another one was underneath one of the stacks!

Ricky Y
Old 12-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Couple pick ups today to add to the back of my binder. Charlie Smith with a cameo from Mercury Morris, and a blank back with Hewritt Dixon on the other side, freshly cracked out of a Beckett slab that says the card came from the 1989 Topps vault sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1822.jpg (76.5 KB, 668 views)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 PM

1971 Topps Football was also my first football cards collected. I think I still have them stored away.

For some reason, I don't remember the posters. Where those included in the 10-cent packs?
Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Bob Andrews

It's a fun set and I really appreciate the info that posters have contributed here. Well done.

I've been piecing it together over the last few months. Down to needing just two cards, the Joe Greene rookie and Paul Krause. There are plenty of examples of each on eBay and COMC but I'm patient enough to wait until I find the one in nice condition at a good price.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
1971 Topps Football was also my first football cards collected. I think I still have them stored away.

For some reason, I don't remember the posters. Where those included in the 10-cent packs?
Yes. In general 70’s inserts only came in wax packs

John
Old 01-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 1971 Hand cuts

I recently acquired these cards that appear to have been hand cut from the sheets. Probably by a young fella too, since he evidently had not quite mastered the scissors yet.

Still, these are pretty cool, and the Bradshaw completes another set for me.
That's 18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 hand cuts-2.jpg (87.0 KB, 646 views)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:46 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

A few years ago at our local card show I picked up a full set of "Pin-Ups" (minus Butkus) in PSA slabs for $100 as the dealer was tired of lugging them around. Then I bought the Butkus to complete my set!
Larry
Old 01-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Dave Becker

I don't actively collect this set but I have several sheets of the 1971 posters in nice shape if anyone would like to work out a deal with me for them.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I recently acquired these cards that appear to have been hand cut from the sheets. Probably by a young fella too, since he evidently had not quite mastered the scissors yet.

That's 18
These are really cool, I love handcut (more like "sheet ripped") cards.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:08 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:

That's 18
There's this fellow, last name of Moser, who could square those cards right up. Probably end up in a PSA 7 or 8 holder if you front him a few Benjamins.

If you can't find him, call Brent at PWCC. They go way back.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Doug D

Quote:

That's 18
Those are really cool! Maybe not worth getting graded, but cool!
Old 04-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Centered posters in this set are very hard to find.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thats for sure. I am always looking for the slick paper versions too.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-03-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Is anyone else a fan of the 71 issue? Have any favorite cards, any cool print defects or proofs or uncut material? Opened a pack or box of these?
I haven't collected football, basketball, or hockey since I was a kid in the late 70's-mid 80's, but I do look for a few variations and I will get any interesting print flaws I run across if they are priced reasonably. I got this one on eBay years ago, it is missing the final yellow ink print run and the final black ink print run. It has a complete back so it is not a progressive proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 football error.jpg (78.7 KB, 432 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 05-03-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Missed a word