NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting the HOF - ever lose your passion?

Posted By: Jason L

Hello All Great and knowing Board,
This question sort of runs parallel to a somewhat recent thread regarding how you might trace the evolution of your collection, but I wanted to be more specific, so I hope you allow me a separate thread here to explore this.

Have you ever started collecting with a HOFer or HOF-related focus, (because perhaps you were attracted to the best players or the higher dollar values of the cards), only to later lose your interest because it becomes:
a) too expensive (HOFer premiums can be tiring)
b) too expansive (there are too many of them)
and/or
c) uninteresting (because you realize you can't have an intense interest in that many players, many of whom you never saw play, maybe never heard of until recently, didn't play in your favorite league or on your team, or whatever)

I have to say that I am rethinking part of my collection because I am slowly developing issues with all 3 a, b and c.

I am finding far more fun in collecting what I LIKE...and I have to say, that subsets like my HOFer rookies are kind of gathering proverbial dust.

So then the big question is, do I hang onto them in case I want to come back to them later, or do I cash them in to fund my current passion.

now I'm buying cards of players that played 100 years ago that I have never heard of, just because I like how the card looks! (watch the new pickup thread next week)

What a strange hobby.
I think there might be two or more Jasons!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Most collectors I know cannot afford to "put collections aside and hold onto them" while deciding to refocus their efforts on new venture(s). Ideally, that would be a great idea, if you have the money.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

The upcoming Heritage Auction's description contained in its T206 Eddie Plank listing states:

With the Plank, the Wagner and the super-tough Magie error card each presented within this auction, one determined collector could clear the three toughest hurdles laid by this classic set in an afternoon, and spend the ensuing months enjoying the slow, steady jog to the finish line.

(Click link for the full description: http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?SaleNo=9709&LotIdNo=43005&txtSearch=wagner&hdnSearch=true)

After I acquired my Plank and Magie, my plan really was to "spend the ensuing months enjoying the slow, steady jog to the finish line," in my case "completing" the T206 set minus Wagner and Doyle. But I got really sidetracked by autographed T206 cards, to the point that I have a hard time mustering up enough interest in the unsigned ones to consider making a run at 500 more of them (I just have 15 unsigned T206 cards left!). The thought of dropping $200-$250 on a Clark Griffith batting pose card in SGC 60 is really just not very appealing anymore. My collection continues to evolve. Though I suspect I will again by bitten by the T206 itch at some point.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Jason,

I find myself struggling with the same issues you have mentioned. Part of me likes to put sets together, or at least attempt to. While some goals have been reached (completion) such as my Domino Disc set (PX7) others are stuck in limbo such as e93 (24 of 30). It can be frustrating at times as prices escalate, I'd rather spend big money on my wife and kids. You can try to start collecting sets that haven't taken off yet, that you might see potential for an upswing in the future.

Another part of me likes to buy things that I just plain like, whether it be pinbacks, postcards, figures, photos. This is the area that seems to bring me the most enjoyment. If I see something I like and have to have, I usually buy it. It doesn't matter to me if it fits a specific niche and I guess that's what makes my collection mine. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

If you can afford to keep items you are not currently trying to add to, that's great. If they no longer hold any sentimental value to you, I would try to sell and purchase items that are going to make your collecting enjoyable.

As has been stated before in various thread arguments, buy what makes you happy.

Mike

Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

You said: "The thought of dropping $200-$250 on a Clark Griffith batting pose card in SGC 60 is really just not very appealing anymore"

EXACTLY! only with me, it's the thought of 2 things:
1) dropping $100 or so on HOF rookie cards for players I barely have any opinion of, like Tony Perez or Phil Niekro becomes tiresome. I don't even look at those cards...I just box them up and check them off a list. whoopie

2)Dropping even more, like $300-500 for nice examples of Reggie, Bench, Ryan, Yaz, etc...While I would love to collect these cards, the high end of my spending sweet spot is more like the $50-150 card, not $300-500! it makes a difference in how much fun I have.

These days, I am finding far more satisfaction in acquiring an attractive T206 for its eye appeal than who the player is. For instance I just bought a couple of nice affordable examples with fantastic color: Chappie Charles and Beals Becker. I don't even know who they are, so I also get the fun of having given myself a homework assignment.

Phil, please don't get the wrong idea. I am sure my budget is still "guppy" here on this Board, and all I meant by that comment was to use future spending to refocus.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: lenk

the big spenders/investors plus the grading companies have "outted" the average spender for pre-war hall of famers.....one can only watch from the sidelines

Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Jason,
I've been amazed at how adding the 206 cigarette packs to the holy grail has
broadened and rejuvenated the hobby for me and, I must say, added to the beauty of the T206 room at home.
I say add germane tributaries when necessary and still slay the Monster, whatever your Monster may be.

best,
barry

Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

Nope - 13 years and going strong. I enjoy the challenges it brings from finding certain negro leaguers to researching the different options. In a lot of cases it will take years to set aside enough money to buy some of the tougher HOFers but that keeps it fun. I also like the fact that there's only 250+ members so the collection stays small and focused.

Over the years I've modified some of my interests. At first, I went with my favorite portrait card of every HOFer. Then, I realized I had lots of 1953 Topps and 1933 Goudeys. So, I started swapping players out for new type cards. I also had tribute cards of the older players - lots of 1950 Callahans and 1960 Fleers. These are slowly being replaced with contemporary issues. Upgrading is another driving force. I have lots of low-grade examples where it may take a lifetime to find upgrades or put aside enough cash to buy them (ex. 1909 T206 Broadleaf Beckley or 1936 WWG DiMaggio).

The cards may gather a little dust here and there sitting in a safe deposit box. But, you can build a website to look at them more frequently and share with others. It's also fun reading about the game and knowing you have a Ross Youngs stashed away when his name comes across in some story.

------------------------------
MY COLLECTION: http://www.rustywilly.com/MYCOLLECTION.htm

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

It sounds like Mark T. and I have a similar way of going about collecting HOF'ers and, although I have only been doing it for about four years, I am always looking to upgrade my cards at a price that I can afford. To make it a little tougher, every piece in my collection has been graded by one of the major grading companies.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

With all due respect to Ryan, Matt, Mark and whoever else collects Cuban/NL players, I lost interest in a HOF set when 17 people got elected all at once a couple of years ago. At that point a very tough set became basically impossible. So I just went back to where I should have been all along- collecting what I like to collect.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I am probably not the right person to answer your question, but I have never been too big on collecting "only" HOFers. It is seems so arbitrary that one person makes the Hall while another, who might even be more deserving, isn't enshrined. I collect players that I like, players like Wes Ferrell, Tony Mullane, Lefty O'Doul, Deacon Phillippe, etc, etc. I get just as much enjoyment out of getting a Wally Schang card as I do a Ray Schalk card, the prior also being the "better" player by many accounts.

A lot of people get hung up on the Hall but that isn't the way to collect for everyone. The "commons" of a set have always intrigued me because many of them have personal/professional stories that are more interesting and exciting than the biggest stars of the day.

Just my 2-cents
-Rhett

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

i say collect what you like. a lot of people have dropped set and HOF collecting to do something similar to the "nifty fifty" or "top 25" that has been described in this forum several times. I thought about it following that trend...but, I truly do enjoy HOF collecting. It helps me with focus...and it allows me to explore the history of the game...from its origins all the way to the present. there are some players i have never seen play...or even would care to see play...but, it's fun learning about them and also seeing what cards they have. I ditched the HOF ROOKIE collection a few months ago...instead ive done something similar to what Mark has done...collect my favorite card of each HOF'er. That's allowed me to view all the cards ever made for each HOF'er...and choose one to my liking. This was a great exercise as it exposed me to sets i have never seen or considered before.

the expense is a big issue...but, there are many attractive cards of each HOFer...in low grade...that are not expensive at all. I try to find a balance. if i want a cobb d304...i balance that out and get a cheaper card of, say, cy young.

change your focus. when it comes to a point where you are simply not happy with your collection...because it is too expensive or simply doesnt get you going...you have to stop...think about your initial motives for pursuing these collecting goals...and adjust if needed. the great thing about this hobby is (knock on wood) if you decide to refocus, you can recoup a decent percentage of your initial investment. cant say that about a lot of other hobbies.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Yes, I started that way... was doing well enough for several years, then hit yes to a) and b).

I didn't have that much in my 4 N172 HOFers, but they got to where they'd sell for so much, and my ability to buy some of the N172s I lacked was diminishing as the values soared, so I sold 3 of them. Someone here bought Delehanty, I think all 3 went to a good, appreciative home.

As HOFers were added, I knew I was getting further away from completion. Bid McPhee was deserving of induction, as I saw it. But getting a card from his playing days was going to be difficult... and then there came that crazy flood of new HOFers that included the woman. That was enough for me.

Maybe 20th century HOFers who played or managed in the Major Leagues would be manageable.

Frank W.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Rucker

I had much the dilemma that your experiencing. I was strictly a HOF collector until just recently. My focus was only collecting hofers with no set goal, just using this measure to keep a focus.

Then I started noticing all the great cards I was passing up by using this method and started picking up just cards that I like.

I find this much more enjoyable than strictly looking for hofers, and somewhat less expensive at times.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

that card you posted isn't a 4!?!?!

totally agree with you...I am losing the HOFer desires...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I loved - LOVED - doing the HOF set, as it really restored a lot of passion I had for the hobby.

But I also started finding that I had no interest in, say, Rollie Fingers.

So I scaled back and I'm doing the Nifty Fifty now. And as I get more attracted to 19th Century stuff, I'm considering turning it into the Dirty Thirty.

I still collect other sets - '38 Goudey, Henry Johnson, T205, T206, etc. - but the Nifty Fifty is where 75% of my time and resources are devoted.

-Al