NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2022, 01:36 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Drawings & Tobacco Art Cards

There's been some good chatter on this forum recently about Art Cards, drawings, and Reprint Cards. It seems many appreciate these as supplements to our collections and lower priced alternatives for our favorite cards. I thought I'd share one of my favorites: a depiction of 1909-1911 Boston Dove players in this large 18" x 22" team picture. Most of the images were recreated using the tobacco card images as a proxy (these come from Helmar Brewing). I think these are pretty cool and very affordable. Below shows Cy Young, Dahlen, Herzog, Sweeney, et al. Any cool Art Cards or drawings you feel like sharing of players from the deadball era?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000335-C-1 Smal.jpg (82.4 KB, 497 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-03-2022 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Revised Title
Old 02-03-2022, 12:25 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Helmar Brewing

I can't be the only one loving these colorful cards of the old timers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar Oasis.jpg (82.8 KB, 484 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-03-2022 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Subject added
Old 02-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
There's been some good chatter on this forum recently about Art Cards, drawings, and Reprint Cards. It seems many appreciate these as supplements to our collections and lower priced alternatives for our favorite cards. I thought I'd share one of my favorites: a depiction of 1909-1911 Boston Dove players in this large 18" x 22" team picture. Most of the images were recreated using the tobacco card images as a proxy (these come from Helmar Brewing). I think these are pretty cool and very affordable. Below shows Cy Young, Dahlen, Herzog, Sweeney, et al. Any cool Art Cards or drawings you feel like sharing of players from the deadball era?
This has a nice look but it would not be an alternative to me.

But I can see others enjoying them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-03-2022, 01:39 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hi Joe,

There is a card similar to your Doves team card that depicts the Jersey City Skeeters T206, T201 & T205 images that I would like to find for my JC Skeeters collection. Other than that one, I'm not sure I would buy any others. I do think many of them look great though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jersey City Skeeters Helmar.jpg (19.9 KB, 450 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 02-03-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Paul

I have commissioned Tanner Jones (Net54: mouschi) to create custom T206 auto cards for me. One of my favorites is this Harry Pattee T206. You can't really see Harry's face on the T206, but you sure can on this custom art card!

Working with Tanner got me into creating my own custom "Signature Collection" modeled after the 2013 Historic Autographs 1909-13 Originals issue. I cracked an SGC 60 Tinker Portrait and a PSA/DNA Tinker signature to make this jumbo auto card!

I think custom art cards of T206 players is the next phase of collecting, and is tied to the growth of "maker culture." There are a TON of awesome card artists on Instagram right now that people really should be checking out. My latest favorite is Dan Baumfield (@thirdanart). He now does Tik Tok videos of how he makes them, and posts them on IG. Check it out!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 02-03-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:55 PM
Bob C.

Though they are colorful and generally well designed, not my cup of collecting tea though.

Also, these are strictly all modern, post 1980 items, so is this thread being posted in the correct forum?
Old 02-03-2022, 02:13 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Though they are colorful and generally well designed, not my cup of collecting tea though.

Also, these are strictly all modern, post 1980 items, so is this thread being posted in the correct forum?
I guess it depends on how you look at it: the memorabilia itself is modern but the subject matter is prewar. Just wanted to post some options for folks who have opined that the prices are going too high on really old stuff and there seems to be no way to collect these old heroes. There is a way indeed: sprinkle in a few Art cards...

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-03-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I have commissioned Tanner Jones (Net54: mouschi) to create custom T206 auto cards for me. One of my favorites is this Harry Pattee T206. You can't really see Harry's face on the T206, but you sure can on this custom art card!

Working with Tanner got me into creating my own custom "Signature Collection" modeled after the 2013 Historic Autographs 1909-13 Originals issue. I cracked an SGC 60 Tinker Portrait and a PSA/DNA Tinker signature to make this jumbo auto card!

I think custom art cards of T206 players is the next phase of collecting, and is tied to the growth of "maker culture." There are a TON of awesome card artists on Instagram right now that people really should be checking out. My latest favorite is Dan Baumfield (@thirdanart). He now does Tik Tok videos of how he makes them, and posts them on IG. Check it out!
Tanner does amazing work. Before I learned how to make customs I had him make a few for me.

Here is a T206 Cobb custom cut card piece I had a fellow member make for me a couple months ago. My favorite player is Wade Boggs and I sent him several 1990 Donruss Boggs cards he used to do the red background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb.jpg (72.4 KB, 433 views)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:21 PM
J@E R1T0

Wow, Ben and Paul these are amazing, thanks for posting!

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-03-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:12 AM
J@mes In.gram

I have a modest collection of these cards, all Helmar and Banty Red. They come up on eBay, Amazon, Mercari, even Etsy, etc., from time to time. When first released, and they are only made in very small numbers as they are essentially hand made, they seem to sell for colossal sums. Eventually, many come back up for sale later, and though I do not know why, often at very reasonable prices. I put this small album together as a way to show off the ones I have. I especially like the Mantle-Mays-Reese New York set with Mel Allen-Russ Hodges-Red Barber Says and the re-done 1954 Red Man Reese that replaces cartoonish original artwork with a color photo. To me, this is a great and relatively inexpensive way to put together a collection of pre- and post-war HOF'ers cards (or should be HOF'ers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_1.jpg (55.4 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_2.jpg (76.3 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_3.jpg (79.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220206_4.jpg (74.4 KB, 346 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-08-2022, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Campy...

Nice eye candy for those that collect it. I don't have enough room for my regular oddball stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roogie1.jpg (75.7 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:00 PM

Love the Helmar T3 cabinets but someone is going to have to explain to me how severe shill bidding isn't going on with every single auction. Looking at the bid list afterwards is highly suspicious.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:04 PM
Charles Mandel

Quote:

I would agree that art cards may well be the next phase of collecting that will be spotlighted. Heck, they are popular already. Right now in our marketplace there are some 350 of our retired cards that people have listed as wanted. Charles Mandel, Helmar Brewing
Old 02-21-2022, 04:11 PM

I love Helmar cards and have been collecting them for about a year now. Really hooked on the Cabinet cards and especially the Oasis set they have.

cabinet

oasis
Old 02-21-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
I can't be the only one loving these colorful cards of the old timers...
You're not! I know they get a lot of flack due to being newer art cards but I just love these cards.

Haven't collected cards in about 20 years and purchased one Helmar last February and was instantly hooked. Brought back many memories of collecting for me and I have enjoyed immensely.

I don't collect them for the value. I just love the art, vintage look and feel of the cards.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:16 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB_Legends3457 View Post
You're not! I know they get a lot of flack due to being newer art cards but I just love these cards.

Haven't collected cards in about 20 years and purchased one Helmar last February and was instantly hooked. Brought back many memories of collecting for me and I have enjoyed immensely.

I don't collect them for the value. I just love the art, vintage look and feel of the cards.
Exactly so.

Love that they are hand painted from photos, older cards, etc. some of the subjects have so few actual cards, its nice to get one of these as a conversation piece.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

If anyone has any Jersey City Skeeters cards and would part with them, please let me know. Here are two examples of the cards I know of so far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar T style Jersey City player.jpg (19.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg helmar-die-cut-66-jersey-city.jpg (33.3 KB, 156 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-24-2022, 01:13 PM

Received these in the mail today:

haul
Old 02-25-2022, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

While the fantasy cards aren't my thing some of them are really nice looking!
Old 02-25-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Tanner is awesome. I’ve already had him do two jobs for me and a third is coming once I find an autograph to send to him.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those are really nice displays!

Quote: