NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Pup6913

So if the guy subbmitted the card in a SGC 88 holder would PSA crack it out to inspect it and then cross it?? Or do they do like SGC and inspect the card in its case and make a decision based on that
Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
So if the guy subbmitted the card in a SGC 88 holder would PSA crack it out to inspect it and then cross it?? Or do they do like SGC and inspect the card in its case and make a decision based on that
I don't know for sure the answer to your question about PSA but this is a problem I have with the crossover process.

If you send in a PSA 8 in the holder to SGC for crossover and the card is rejected as trimmed it will be sent back to you in the PSA 8 holder.

Do you think more people would contact PSA and begin the fight to get their money from them for improperly grading the card, or simply sell the card on the open market as a PSA 8 knowing it to be trimmed?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Fred

Wow, what a bummer. What happens if SGC was right the first time?

If I resubmitted it (which I wouldn't have had the balls to do), I'd be pretty upset.

What was the person that resubmitted thinking? Were they thinking this could be upgraded to an 8.5 or even a 9.0.... big dreams...

I still can't get over someone wanting to break it out for a resubmission. I'd have told the grading company that either the card crosses to the same grade or higher or the card can only get a higher grade - I'd have told them to not breaker it out otherwise... if they did and I got back an AUTH slab I'd be shocked
Old 11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What was the person that resubmitted thinking? Were they thinking this could be upgraded to an 8.5 or even a 9.0.... big dreams...
This hobby is filled with individuals who commit fraud every day, even when they know they are being watched, even when they are called out for it on this board -- so why should this be a surprise?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This hobby is filled with individuals who commit fraud every day, even when they know they are being watched, even when they are called out for it on this board...

Yeah. Aren't they great guys though?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The best guys. However, my gut tells me that the worm is about to turn....
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

There is no chance PSA would cross the card without examining it out of the holder, so the guy had no choice but to crack it out. Would YOU cross a card without examining the edges even if it looks full size?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Jeff

Then the prudent thing was to be happy with what you had, or what you thought you had.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Then the prudent thing was to be happy with what you had, or what you thought you had.
I sort of agree, but at the same time wasn't the guy justified in assuming the Net 54 grader of choice SGC would not have graded the card an 88 if it was trimmed? Isn't that what we rely on grading companies for? So are you saying we can't rely on them? And if we can't rely on them, why are we paying them, simply to commoditize our cards? And what are they selling if not expertise?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is no chance PSA would cross the card without examining it out of the holder, so the guy had no choice but to crack it out. Would YOU cross a card without examining the edges even if it looks full size?

What? Their entire crossover service is based on doing just that.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
What? Their entire crossover service is based on doing just that.
They will cross a $15,000 NM/Mt card without examining the card out of the slab? So by definition without a clear look at the edges? That is scary if true. I think SGC has a dollar value limit for that type of service.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Straight from the website.

Crossover Service (Cards) Cards graded by other third-party firms may be submitted in their holders for PSA grading. This service is available under all service levels. PSA will evaluate the card inside the current holder. If PSA deems the card worthy to cross over into the Customer’s specified minimum grade, the card will be removed from its holder and placed into a PSA holder. Customers using the Crossover Service must provide a minimum grade on the submission form.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Peter Spaeth, alot of what you are saying is speculation and are not quite sure of the facts. As stated SGC will not crossover a card if it does not meet the minimum grade, thus if they feel it does not they will not crack the card out.

As far as PSA policies (Ed has that covered), but I was SGC and a card came back to me out of it's original holder and told it had been altered. The submitter took SGC off any responsiblity once the card left the holder. If there was a question to it being trimmed by PSA they should have left it in the holder sent it back to the owner and the owner take it to SGC from there.

edit for a lack of observation,

Lee

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 11-26-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: prior post
Old 11-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Just wanted to add the SGC pop report shows 1 1910 Piedmont Cobb graded, no designation to the pose.

Lee
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM

Lee,

Click on the link in the first post and scroll down.

Mike
Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
I still would love to see the card in an 88 holder,
From the listing...

Last edited by terjung; 11-26-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: trying to match image sizes
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Damn, I never did scroll down that far. With ebay newer style it doesn't show much on the bottom anymore.

Thanks Guys, sure would like to hear from the SGC guys on this one.

Lee
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I sort of agree, but at the same time wasn't the guy justified in assuming the Net 54 grader of choice SGC would not have graded the card an 88 if it was trimmed? Isn't that what we rely on grading companies for? So are you saying we can't rely on them? And if we can't rely on them, why are we paying them, simply to commoditize our cards? And what are they selling if not expertise?

Peter,

All good points. And yes they should all be reliable. Who knows, did they miss it the first time or the second time? What is the upside in breaking out an 88? A 8.5, a 9? To me that is a long shot but I assume that the breakee thought the worst case scenario was to get it back in an 88 holder. Is is worth it to void the guarantee by cracking it out to submit?

Jeff
Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 AM
leo

Default a real shame

It's still a beautiful card. PSA collector or not, that was a foolish gamble to bust the holder.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Matt Wieder

The sad thing is that whoever buys this cards is most probably going to crack it and make at least 1 attempt to have it numerically graded, if not more.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The sad thing is that whoever buys this cards is most probably going to crack it and make at least 1 attempt to have it numerically graded, if not more.
Save the scans. You are right, it will probably come full circle.