NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Brendan Mullen

Default Can You Soak Half a Card?

I recently won my first T206 HINDU in the B and L Auction last month. There is a tiny bit of paper on the front of the card in the upper right hand corner. Can i just soak the top-half of the card, or should I soak the entire card? I have never soaked a card before; this will be my first. Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM

you need to soak the entire card or it will cause a water stain
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I recently won my first T206 HINDU in the B and L Auction last month. There is a tiny bit of paper on the front of the card in the upper right hand corner. Can i just soak the top-half of the card, or should I soak the entire card? I have never soaked a card before; this will be my first. Thanks for any advice!
While I don't want to recommend something and have it not work, if it were me, I would very lightly take a Qtip.....put it in some warm water and then gently (very gently) dab it on that spot of paper. TAKE YOUR TIME AND GO SLOWLY. Most likely that paper will come off easily after it has a spot of warm water added to it....just a tiny bit right on top of it. It might leave a tiny stain but it will be better than the piece of paper. My guess is that the glue under the paper is very soluble. That is what I would do.....but I am disclaiming any damage so be careful. We don't do anything to the items we auction off except get them graded when appropriate. We were tempted to take that paper off but it's against our internal policy.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Brendan Mullen

Great feedback fellas. I won't be able to do it this weekend (because we have our first big softball tourney of the year), but I'll try to do it early next week and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Great feedback fellas. I won't be able to do it this weekend (because we have our first big softball tourney of the year), but I'll try to do it early next week and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
I play softball 4 times a week. Got my first out of the park homer of the year last night .
Back to the card. Once you dab the spot with warm water let it soak for 5-10 minutes before doing anything. That should loosen that piece of paper up and I wouldn't be surprised if it almost falls off without even rubbing it with the Qtip. I forgot to mention that part of the process.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Ryan Christoff

It is almost always better to soak the entire card, in my opinion. It sounds like if you follow Leon's directions and are very careful you might be able to avoid a stain. But soaking just part of a card virtually guarantees staining most of the time. It can be done, but like Leon stressed, take your time and be very deliberate. Whenever possible, it's always best to experiment on whatever soaking process you're about to try by testing it on a beater before gambling on a more important card. It all depends on the type of glue.

-Ryan
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Alex

I would soak the full card. It is much easier to do then you would expect.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Brendan Mullen

Epic fail. Oh well. I probably wasn't patient enough. The paper came off, but so did part of the card. Oh well. You live and learn!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Jason Stricker

Which Hindu was it? Any updated pics?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry to hear that Brendan. It has happened to (almost) all of us, me included.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Brendan Mullen

It was the Wilbur Goode Hindu from the recent B and L auction. (Awesome auction by the way!). I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to send via iPhone. Leon I know you're a softball player too... Just not my week; broke a $300 bat yesterday, ruined my first Hindu today. As Sinatra said, that's life.... Haha
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default Soaking a card

I have done hundreds of cards without soaking them, many cards for Chat 54 members- Let our business help you- check out the web site gonewiththestain.com- thanks again.