NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I think the "artist" just gave up when he got around to the Yankees and Phillies.
Glad you put quotes around "artist."
Old 09-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Doug Goodman

I found this buried in my stuff yesterday, I picked it up on ebay years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaylord Perry Peanut Farm bag small.jpg (76.2 KB, 881 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I found this buried in my stuff yesterday, I picked it up on ebay years ago.
I have one of those, too.

I also have this. I believe this is the same album released on Fantasy Records. I love how they labeled it "Educational Material" to get the Media Mail rate (9.5 cents). Like none of us has ever done that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-09-20 04.50.54.jpg (73.5 KB, 862 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-09-20 04.51.09.jpg (72.0 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-09-20 04.51.22.jpg (73.3 KB, 856 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:12 AM
Gary S

Default Yankee Vendor Hats

Hats worn by vendors at Yankee Stadium, probably in the 1950's. I also have one framed with a vendor shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankee vendor hats.jpg (75.3 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg Vendor hat and shirt.jpg (64.5 KB, 806 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Hats worn by vendors at Yankee Stadium, probably in the 1950's. I also have one framed with a vendor shirt.
Love ballpark vendor memorabilia. Thank you for sharing the photos.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Love ballpark vendor memorabilia. Thank you for sharing the photos.
I love it too! How did you acquire those treasures?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:58 PM
Gary S

I got them at various times over the years....
Old 06-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Rob

Just picked up the bottom right. These are what batsballsbases (Al) says I keep my pinback money in . Also a picture of the staff. Pretty sure these were not "happy ending" type massages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-10 04.57.47.jpg (76.0 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.0 KB, 712 views)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:16 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

These are really cool!! Great find.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:37 PM

Default Odd ball

It’s not baseball but I do love my mego! Broadway joe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4D0F54B-A306-48B3-BA1C-494FEC225084.jpg (18.0 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg 2F45CA4A-A181-49F9-95C6-007734547AA4.jpg (16.4 KB, 634 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This is a photo taken June 9, 1911. I found it in a box of photos that my mother had stuffed in a closet. It apparently was part of a photo album of my grandmother's. That kid in the front with the glasses...that is my grandfather, about 13 years old. He was born in a tenement on the Lower East Side and never left Manhattan. So it is a new item for me even though we've had it in the family for 110 years. He died when I was 4 so I have few memories of him but I do recall that he used to do sleight of hand magic tricks with a lit cigar and that he took me with him once on his beat (he was in law enforcement), which was meatpacking district. I recall getting a hot dog fresh off the line at one of them. He was a fantastic grandfather. I wish I'd gotten to spend more years with him. So this photo was quite the find for me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-26-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
He was a fantastic grandfather. I wish I'd gotten to spend more years with him. So this photo was quite the find for me.
Powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:12 AM

Default got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
https://www.sportsantiques.com/joedpopcornvend.htm
I picked up one of those at a show at Mosconi Center San Francisco 30 years ago...got DiMaggio to sign it while I roomed him...see story above...I remember he asked me if it was my hat...like did I sell popcorn at Yankee Stadium...I just told him I bought at a card show...

Old 06-27-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

This is a photo taken June 9, 1911. I found it in a box of photos that my mother had stuffed in a closet. It apparently was part of a photo album of my grandmother's. That kid in the front with the glasses...that is my grandfather, about 13 years old. He was born in a tenement on the Lower East Side and never left Manhattan. So it is a new item for me even though we've had it in the family for 110 years. He died when I was 4 so I have few memories of him but I do recall that he used to do sleight of hand magic tricks with a lit cigar and that he took me with him once on his beat (he was in law enforcement), which was meatpacking district. I recall getting a hot dog fresh off the line at one of them. He was a fantastic grandfather. I wish I'd gotten to spend more years with him. So this photo was quite the find for me.
Love that story...

Old 06-27-2021, 02:43 AM
John

Feel free to delete if this isn't oddball enough.

Back in 1986 I ordered one of these card hats from Fleer thru their wrapper offer...I put some Fleer Famous Feats cards in it and even wore it to a couple regional card shows back then...I still have it but I have never seen another one...was I the only one who spent $3 on this thing or the only one who is willing to admit it?

Until proven otherwise, I will claim this is the only one that still exists...The Holy Grail of Baseball Card Haberdashery!

I just can't imagine why these didn't catch on...who wouldn't want to bend and squeeze 8 of their most prized cards into sections of a cheaply designed plastic and cloth hat and proudly wear them on their head? Of course if you did, you would need to rely on the skills of your local weather prognosticator or have easy access to an umbrella at all times. Rumor is rain soaked cards rarely grade well.

I have been collecting for 50+ years and have had the good fortune of moving only once since 1970 and that was less than 15 miles. So tough decisions of what to keep and what to toss have never been an issue for me. I knew I had kept practically all my financial records since I was old enough to have a bank account and they were still in my attic. I originally posted a pic of this hat last year in another group as a joke but now I can't stop thinking about this silly thing and I wondered if I still had the check I wrote for it back in 1986 (if you are under age 30 ask your parents what a check is or google it). So I trek up to the attic earlier this year, move around some boxes and start opening...and within 15 minutes I find my 1986 bank statements and upon opening the June statement I find the cancelled check for $2.95 made out to P.T.A!! I have attached a copy of that cancelled check from the little local bank that ceased to exist decades ago.

So I can now display the original check with my hat and wrapper...however, my judgement in not only keeping such an ugly hat for 35 years but also the record of its purchase and displaying it does seriously call into question my overall sanity.

Does anybody else have one of these hats or ever seen one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2021, 06:39 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

1983 All Star Luncheon NBC Pamphlet Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola as Broadcasters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all star 001.jpg (72.7 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg all star 003.jpg (68.3 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg all star 002.jpg (78.6 KB, 566 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 07:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Feel free to delete if this isn't oddball enough.

Back in 1986 I ordered one of these card hats from Fleer thru their wrapper offer...I put some Fleer Famous Feats cards in it and even wore it to a couple regional card shows back then...I still have it but I have never seen another one...was I the only one who spent $3 on this thing or the only one who is willing to admit it?

Until proven otherwise, I will claim this is the only one that still exists...The Holy Grail of Baseball Card Haberdashery!

I just can't imagine why these didn't catch on...who wouldn't want to bend and squeeze 8 of their most prized cards into sections of a cheaply designed plastic and cloth hat and proudly wear them on their head? Of course if you did, you would need to rely on the skills of your local weather prognosticator or have easy access to an umbrella at all times. Rumor is rain soaked cards rarely grade well.

I have been collecting for 50+ years and have had the good fortune of moving only once since 1970 and that was less than 15 miles. So tough decisions of what to keep and what to toss have never been an issue for me. I knew I had kept practically all my financial records since I was old enough to have a bank account and they were still in my attic. I originally posted a pic of this hat last year in another group as a joke but now I can't stop thinking about this silly thing and I wondered if I still had the check I wrote for it back in 1986 (if you are under age 30 ask your parents what a check is or google it). So I trek up to the attic earlier this year, move around some boxes and start opening...and within 15 minutes I find my 1986 bank statements and upon opening the June statement I find the cancelled check for $2.95 made out to P.T.A!! I have attached a copy of that cancelled check from the little local bank that ceased to exist decades ago.

So I can now display the original check with my hat and wrapper...however, my judgement in not only keeping such an ugly hat for 35 years but also the record of its purchase and displaying it does seriously call into question my overall sanity.

Does anybody else have one of these hats or ever seen one?

John,

I think that is oddball enough or possibly the definition of oddball.

Personally I’ve never seen one and likely wouldn’t have had the guts back in the day to wear the thing….
Old 06-27-2021, 07:55 AM
Bill H@e1ig

A few Oriole related oddball pieces...

A hard hat worn by one of the project managers during the construction of Camden Yards:

Jacket worn by Mike Boddicker during the filming of a McDonald's commercial (with both Orioles & Redskins players) back in March of 1984:

Esskay hot dog vendor box that was gifted to HOF announcer Chuck Thompson after the team left Memorial Stadium:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 06-27-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Rob

That crappy hat is awesome!!!!

I love the hot dog box, too. At 9:00 in the morning, it’s making me crave a hotdog.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Joe M.

Default Tiger Stadium Usher Hat & USHER Pin

My son got these for me while at Tiger game. Purchased from Usher. Usher Hat & Tie Tac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 867D82A3-47FE-472F-BB2F-41890A8E0937.jpg (10.2 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg 9AEDBF52-F234-4A6C-B81A-B58D194E0461.jpg (20.9 KB, 559 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
My son got these for me while at Tiger game. Purchased from Usher. Usher Hat & Tie Tac.
At a recent game? Like the usher just sold the hat off his head?
Old 06-27-2021, 06:44 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
At a recent game? Like the usher just sold the hat off his head?
About 10 years ago, yes, just sold the hat & pin to my son.

N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
That’s funny. He must have told the boss, “my hat blew off and I lost my tie tac chasing it.’
Old 06-28-2021, 01:52 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Man, that's the way to go out! Did your son ask or did the usher offer? How much?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:42 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Man, that's the way to go out! Did your son ask or did the usher offer? How much?
Pretty sure my son asked to buy the hat & pin. He went with me for years when he was a about 11 or 12 years old to flea markets antique shows, card shows & peoples homes that had items for sale. That was a big part of building my collection He picked up a Coke machine & Pepsi machine having them refurbished. Great Son.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Gary

How about a 1960s Bambino Pinto Beans burlap sack for oddball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210701_222307.jpg (71.0 KB, 478 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 06:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
How about a 1960s Bambino Pinto Beans burlap sack for oddball.
I love that!
Old 07-02-2021, 08:46 AM
chris

Oddballiss Chainsawiss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982 stihl chainsaw reds ad(8).jpg (80.7 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 1982 stihl chainsaw reds ad(1).jpg (84.1 KB, 441 views)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Rob

I love that someone would still have a shirt, dry cleaned 60+ years ago and wrapped with a 1959 Giants schedule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-10-03 00.36.57.jpg (70.5 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-10-03 00.37.08.jpg (75.7 KB, 362 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Mike

I can't believe I just now stumbled across this post, awesome stuff everyone!!!!! Right up my alley, here are my meager and random contributions......

(1) Mickey Mantle penny crushing machine penny

(2) Random Scorecard from sporting goods company

(3) Autographed Don Mattingly's restaurant coaster

(4) Along the elephant trail Philadelphia Athletics newsletter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle penny.jpg (53.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg mantle penny back.jpg (44.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg lucky dog scorecard.jpg (46.8 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg scorecard back.jpg (35.2 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg scorecard inside.jpg (78.7 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg don mattinglys coaster.jpg (62.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg elephant trail.jpg (74.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg elephant trail2.jpg (61.6 KB, 310 views)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:46 PM

Default I got esniped

meant to cancel snipe on this...forgot...I ended up with it...

Old 10-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

This is one of the better posts.

Love seeing all the oddball items and the stories many come with.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-15-2021, 09:52 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Some oddball Cardinals stuff....

Dizzy Dean Ashtray, circa 1930s
Cardinals Pinback, with rare "Bird in Cage" Dangler
Cardinals Ashtray, circa 1940s (Circular version)
Cardinals Ashtray, circa 1940s (Square version)
Cardinals Statue, circa 1931
Had the red Cardinal piece found at flea market 30 years ago, since sold

Old 10-17-2021, 06:11 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Now you guys have me thinking

I might have some odd balls.

Have to find them if I have them I will post them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Rob

Years ago, I paid $31 dollars for this. My wife thought I was crazy then and still does. Well, dear, an empty one (mine's unopened) just sold on ebay for about $120 with tax and shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.jpg (196.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-05-2023, 04:10 PM
John

I posted my 1986 Fleer Card Hat a couple years ago and still have not seen another one or had anybody claim to know anybody that has one...and I can certainly understand why

Steve of KeyMan Collectibles even asked if he could create a webpage for my hat as he had never seen one and used my pics and info.

https://keymancollectibles.com/hatsh...lectorshat.htm

Old 08-05-2023, 04:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
I posted my 1986 Fleer Card Hat a couple years ago and still have not seen another one or had anybody claim to know anybody that has one...and I can certainly understand why

Steve of KeyMan Collectibles even asked if he could create a webpage for my hat as he had never seen one and used my pics and info.

https://keymancollectibles.com/hatsh...lectorshat.htm

That’s big time, John! 👍