NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 AM
Rob

Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle.....who’s the fourth guy?
Old 08-06-2020, 06:39 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle.....who’s the fourth guy?
Gehrig ...

I’ve yet to see a Giants pennant from this series in cloth. Felt, yes. Black print on orange. Here’s one currently on eBay. The felt versions that seem to be early 70s have the ASCO trademark, you can see it below the G. (Thanks for info KB.) The ‘69 cloth ASCO pennants are all multi colored, I would expect the same design but with a white baseball.

*Correction ... I don’t think the Twins have a multi-colored version, mine is white on red. The rest are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA5E4A06-1EAA-46D7-8A2D-E0DBC51E2B56.jpg (20.8 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-06-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Always loved that Yankees pennant and ironically don’t have it in my collection. You of all know that most of these you find have the extremely faded fabric. Nice pennant
Thanks. I personally prefer the cloth pennants provided they aren’t faded. And you’re right - they usually are. They have a nice feel to them. These pennants actually have a cloth spine, too!
Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I’m not sure if any of you will find this interesting like I do, but here is an ASCO pennant from 1969 - or specifically, with the 1969 trademark. It’s cloth so I do believe it is actually from ‘69. The Uncle Sam stadium graphic is a carbon copy of the same graphic from the tasseled Trench stadium pennants of the 50s/60s. By this time both companies were using trademarks although I guess their artwork was not legally secure?

I’m still trying to complete this ASCO set in cloth and I’m intrigued by the speciality pennants ... this one, the Cub Power Cubs pennant, etc. ... maybe it’s the lockdown boredom, I dunno ....
I find it interesting as well. Quick question about the pennant...

Are the 4 circular photos glued on to the front side? Or are they attached from the back side, like the vast majority of photo pennants of the era?

Thanks, and nice example!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I find it interesting as well. Quick question about the pennant...

Are the 4 circular photos glued on to the front side? Or are they attached from the back side, like the vast majority of photo pennants of the era?

Thanks, and nice example!
Hey Mark ... it’s just like a typical picture pennant, attached from the back and the headshots are seen through holes cut in the pennant. Manufactured by .. The Button House! Winona, MN. Mr. Domer had a lot of details regarding them and their relationship with ASCO. Also I’m guessing why you see a lot of the smaller Twins player pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4328AF10-F405-468F-A490-12CB8DE1F42A.jpg (19.3 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 4F82069E-747A-44C8-88A0-9E7F091295E7.jpg (15.8 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-06-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:29 PM

New acquisition ... is this the pennant equivalent of a four leaf clover? (I have two others like this, with three on the bottom.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 245FBA2E-11E4-42FD-86F5-653B7D4F75EE.jpg (19.6 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-06-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Marc

Default Here's another

Three-fingered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4205.jpg (60.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
New acquisition ... is this the pennant equivalent of a four leaf clover? (I have two others like this, with three on the bottom.)
I notice several of these in my collection as well when I did my big sort a few weeks back. Was it intentional by the same rogue seamstress? Could quality control have been that lax?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I notice several of these in my collection as well when I did my big sort a few weeks back. Was it intentional by the same rogue seamstress? Could quality control have been that lax?
Well I have a 1954 Giants scroll with three, and this Giants (and a Pirates) from probably the early 60s. So not sure. Would love to have seen how these were mass produced. They surely didn’t foresee the darn tassels falling out because they are attached too close to the edge!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Gehrig ...
I, obviously, believe you but it looks nothing like Gehrig, to me.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Rob

This one is like a double pawed cat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0806 Reds.jpg (25.0 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Mark ... it’s just like a typical picture pennant, attached from the back and the headshots are seen through holes cut in the pennant. Manufactured by .. The Button House! Winona, MN. Mr. Domer had a lot of details regarding them and their relationship with ASCO. Also I’m guessing why you see a lot of the smaller Twins player pennants.
I recently came across a Button House catalog from 1970. My suspicions have been confirmed: Button House had the exact same street address as ASCO during that time (1205 E. Sanborn St.); and, the catalog listed them as "a division of ASCO." So, for whatever reason, some ASCO sports pennants were branded under this Button House moniker; and others, "ASCO." Regardless of the name, they're all coming from the same place.

If you ask me both names are kinda silly.... No wonder they went with "WinCraft" the moment it became available.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
This one is like a double pawed cat...
Whoa very nice! Reminded me of a Phillies pitcher (Alfonseca?) who had six fingers and toes on each hand/foot...

That Reds pennant is from the cool early 50s series, really thick felt, correct?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Erik

Default Hey, pennant guys

Hey guys -

I always say I’m going to post more often, but It feels like my New Year’s resolution goals...I wanted to post another ‘before and after’ bleach cleaning. The first photo was taken in poor lighting with and old iPhone. The middle photo is the final product taken in better lighting with an new iPhone that seems to make everything brighter. Regardless, the pennant is much improved. The last photo shows what the back of the pennant where I didn’t apply bleach to.

I’ve made mistakes of spraying bleach too close to the spine in the past, so I applied the tape much further down the pennant. I’m still using the spray with water, spray with bleach, spray with water approach. Is that what you all do who attempt this? I let the bleach stay on the pennant for only a few minutes. I continue to stay away from red, but it looked like a Phillies pennant turned out pretty good recently.

Last edited by erikc21; 08-08-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Rob

Hey Erik - it looks 100% better! I tape off the spine and then hang vertically to make sure the bleach stays away.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great job Erik!

You beautifully revived a pennant that was ready for the junk heap. Looks good as new!
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Rob

WOW Erik...Came out fantastic! Nice job. Like Rob, when I did this (haven't had a good candidate in a couple years), I hung the pennant vertically so the bleach would run away from the spine.

Interesting that you do bleach/water/bleach/water. Is it 100% bleach? I haven't tried that. I usually just use a mixture to whiten and then straight water to rinse at the end when I'm happy with the results.

Also, when I did it, I'd start by spraying the back to see how effectively it soaked through to whiten the front. Then I'd just spray the trouble areas of the front directly. That way you're avoiding spraying directly on to the graphics...at least somewhat. But I've noticed in the past, while some graphics run in varying degrees. Others, like this Browns (and another Browns I've done) had absolutely no ill effects from being sprayed. Must be something in the orange paint.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Whoa very nice! Reminded me of a Phillies pitcher (Alfonseca?) who had six fingers and toes on each hand/foot...

That Reds pennant is from the cool early 50s series, really thick felt, correct?
Yes...Thick felt. I usually avoid pennants with tip damage. I thought this was in mint condition when I bought it. It was listed at a price I felt it wouldn't last long at so I didn't have time to question the tip, which in retrospect is suspect was strategically cut off in the photo. When I received it I emailed the guy and he quickly offered a partial refund. So I kept it.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Rob

The pandemic has given me plenty of time to play with my pennants. Took inventory. Took pictures. Assembled albums. A little embarrassed to share my "Single A Ball" calibre baseball collection amongst you MLB All Star calibre collectors, but nonetheless....What else is there to do? Besides, there's a reason I'm called Fballguy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bjo3f2rMmVZqQWBM9
Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Marc

Nice, Rob! I see lots of cool stuff in there. For example, I've never seen this Oakland pennant before (I watch Oakland stuff, but don't buy very often). I'm curious to hear from you and others about how rare it is. I also really like this NY Giants pennant. I'm sure that there are gems from other teams as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63A995AB-DAC2-4275-99F8-AB0347BF5414.jpg (77.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 52B29136-6DA9-4BFC-8014-455DE30A7031.jpg (77.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Rob

Hey FB Rob - I believe Erik uses water, bleach, water. Not bleach x2.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Hey guys -

I always say I’m going to post more often, but It feels like my New Year’s resolution goals...I wanted to post another ‘before and after’ bleach cleaning. The first photo was taken in poor lighting with and old iPhone. The middle photo is the final product taken in better lighting with an new iPhone that seems to make everything brighter. Regardless, the pennant is much improved. The last photo shows what the back of the pennant where I didn’t apply bleach to.

I’ve made mistakes of spraying bleach too close to the spine in the past, so I applied the tape much further down the pennant. I’m still using the spray with water, spray with bleach, spray with water approach. Is that what you all do who attempt this? I let the bleach stay on the pennant for only a few minutes. I continue to stay away from red, but it looked like a Phillies pennant turned out pretty good recently.

Nice work, Erik!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The pandemic has given me plenty of time to play with my pennants. Took inventory. Took pictures. Assembled albums. A little embarrassed to share my "Single A Ball" calibre baseball collection amongst you MLB All Star calibre collectors, but nonetheless....What else is there to do? Besides, there's a reason I'm called Fballguy.

Rob this is great stuff, thanks for posting!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Nice, Rob! I see lots of cool stuff in there. For example, I've never seen this Oakland pennant before (I watch Oakland stuff, but don't buy very often). I'm curious to hear from you and others about how rare it is. I also really like this NY Giants pennant. I'm sure that there are gems from other teams as well.
Never saw that A’s pennant, the colors are bizarre. It does share the same exact font of the full team name, with the 1969 ASCO A’s pennant. I’ll snap a pic in a bit.

The Giants pennant comes from the “grommet” series whose pennants span from 1919 White Sox to the early 40s, with emphasis on the St. Louis teams. I am highly intrigued by these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD5C8828-6FEE-4A56-AF71-D6D8012B9554.jpg (20.6 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Gotta rescue this thread from the bottom of the page!

Here are two pennants from the early 50s with a similar design. Anyone know of any other teams that share it?

Observe they are both playing the same infield shift!
This looks like it might be...

Edit: Upon closer review...I guess not. No stadium reference and only three on defense. Tassels spine aren't right either. I saw the St. Louis font and thought it was a match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cards.jpg (75.8 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Fballguy; 08-09-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Hey FB Rob - I believe Erik uses water, bleach, water. Not bleach x2.
Yeah but straight bleach is the question.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:41 PM
Rob

Pretty damn nice baseball collection for a football guy!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Ahhhh.

I used to use straight bleach until my ‘62 NL Champs disaster (although I think that one was doomed, no matter what).
Old 08-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Erik

Quote:

Sorry for once again being unclear!

First, I do hang the pennant (spine-side up) so the bleach runs down away from the spine. I tape the spine with multiple layers of painters tape so nothing accidentally soaks through. I also extend the tape about 1/2 inch lower than the spine to be safe. I also try and make sure the tassels are taped.

I have two spray bottles. One straight water and the other 100% bleach. I first spray the pennant with water to get it wet. Second, I spray the pennant with 100% bleach directly on the front of the pennant. I spray the whole pennant directly. I’ve never sprayed the back of the pennant which is interesting. I let the bleach stay on the pennant for a few minutes. Lastly, I spray with water continuously until the bleach is gone.

I sometimes repeat a time or two. I’m always worried about letting the bleach sit too long as I’ve had a few pennants run or the white turn almost a yellowish color. So, I was curious if this is how others completed the process.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Erik

Quote:
Pretty damn nice baseball collection for a football guy!

I know...I told him his second ‘main’ sport is better than my entire collection
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
This looks like it might be...

Edit: Upon closer review...I guess not. No stadium reference and only three on defense. Tassels spine aren't right either. I saw the St. Louis font and thought it was a match.
I saw this .... it looks odd to me, like a knock off from the 70s. The tassels and pennant itself look stiff and creased, and the design is sloppy. BUT ... it could be a copy of an existing, older pennant so maybe such a Cardinals pennant from the sane era does exist!

*the Browns “infield” pennant does not reference stadium, but Tigers does.

Last edited by thetahat; 08-10-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Here’s that somewhat similar A’s pennant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C9138B9A-3907-4092-A535-495179F7BFD6.jpg (20.3 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-09-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Marc

Is that the 1969 cloth version for the A's?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Is that the 1969 cloth version for the A's?
This is felt, but I’m assuming it matches the cloth version which I “need”. The spine is cloth which is interesting. Whether they made these at the same time as cloth or shortly after, I don’t know. I have never seen the Pilots from this series in felt (but I have seen a cloth Brewers, Indians, Angels with a 1970 trademark).
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:

My personal favorites of yours:

1. The 1960 ASG pennant
2. 1940 Tigers (stunning!)
3. 1945 Athletics, never saw it in gold
4. Colt 45s (it’s the only pennant from Ad Flag that I like, possibly the only Colts pennant with Colts ‘C’ in gun smoke.)
5. 1959 White Sox with roster in sock
Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Marc

I also like the Colts pennant and have attached a pic of Fballguy's example. I passed on one from a zero feedback buyer a few years and have regretted it ever since.

Also, what's the story behind this unusual White Sox pennant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 809F7F90-3A8A-48AD-931D-F389C5A95F4D.jpg (52.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg C19D62AE-1C23-41F0-989C-C5AA23975584.jpg (54.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 08-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
My personal favorites of yours:

1. The 1960 ASG pennant
2. 1940 Tigers (stunning!)
3. 1945 Athletics, never saw it in gold
4. Colt 45s (it’s the only pennant from Ad Flag that I like, possibly the only Colts pennant with Colts ‘C’ in gun smoke.)
5. 1959 White Sox with roster in sock
Thanks everyone...The 1940 Tigers is the gem of the collection. Amazing condition for 80 years old. It's probably my favorite.

The black Expos pennant is my most curious as it's in a style that I always assumed pre-dates the existence of the Expos.

Last edited by Fballguy; 08-10-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Sorry for once again being unclear!

First, I do hang the pennant (spine-side up) so the bleach runs down away from the spine. I tape the spine with multiple layers of painters tape so nothing accidentally soaks through. I also extend the tape about 1/2 inch lower than the spine to be safe. I also try and make sure the tassels are taped.

I have two spray bottles. One straight water and the other 100% bleach. I first spray the pennant with water to get it wet. Second, I spray the pennant with 100% bleach directly on the front of the pennant. I spray the whole pennant directly. I’ve never sprayed the back of the pennant which is interesting. I let the bleach stay on the pennant for a few minutes. Lastly, I spray with water continuously until the bleach is gone.

I sometimes repeat a time or two. I’m always worried about letting the bleach sit too long as I’ve had a few pennants run or the white turn almost a yellowish color. So, I was curious if this is how others completed the process.
Very similar to my process Erik. Main difference is I typically start bleaching from the back. The strength of my mixture depends on how dirty the pennant is.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM
Bobw

Quote:

A picture from 1965 to go with your Braves pennant.....

Old 08-10-2020, 11:55 AM
Mikeknapp

Although I search daily It's been 2 years since a picked up a different version of the Pirates 1971 World Champions pennant . This is the eighth variation of that theme I have found. It is so pedestrian I was certain I already had it. I suppose that was because it draws on so many elements common to the other seven versions.

Also here is a fun fan photo featuring the 1971 White World Series Champion scroll pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71buc-1971-pennant9.jpg (38.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg photo2 (1).jpg (78.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 71buc-1971-pennant5.jpg (37.0 KB, 164 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 08-10-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Also here is a fun fan photo featuring the 1971 White World Series Champion scroll pennant.
LOL...Classic!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone...The 1940 Tigers is the gem of the collection. Amazing condition for 80 years old. It's probably my favorite.

The black Expos pennant is my most curious as it's in a style that I always assumed pre-dates the existence of the Expos.
I think there might be a dated Tigers pennant for every year from 1934 through 1951. Something unique to them. The artist always saves his best work for them. And there are like 10 different Briggs/Tiger Stadium versions!

That Expos pennant is super duper rare. Open mouth lefty hitter was surely retired by ‘69 ..... at least we thought so!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great photo Mike....

But upon first glance, I thought the lady Bucs Fan was wearing a diaper. And now I can’t “unsee” it.

Do you think she did some shopping at Thrift Drugs just before the celebration?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Marc

I swear that Pirates pennant is levitating. If you look at the position her hands (and away from the diaper), it doesn't seem like the physics work.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
I swear that Pirates pennant is levitating. If you look at the position her hands (and away from the diaper), it doesn't seem like the physics work.
I think it’s on a stick.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Rob

Come on guys...She's clearly an ex-majorette and holding the pennant stick like a baton. I'll bet she could really move back in the day. Way back before 1971. Way, way back.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Mikeknapp

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo as much as I. I have always called it the Three Rivers Madonna.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Rob,
Nice baseball collection.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed the photo as much as I. I have always called it the Three Rivers Madonna.

The guy in the background of the Three Rivers Madonna photo seems to be enjoying the show
Old 08-10-2020, 09:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Come on guys...She's clearly an ex-majorette and holding the pennant stick like a baton. I'll bet she could really move back in the day. Way back before 1971. Way, way back.
Maybe she could dance the Charleston? Anything more recent than that, and I'm skeptical.