NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Clemens material tests positive for steroids

Posted By: Bob

A federal grand jury in Washington is investigating whether Roger Clemens (right) lied to congress.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal authorities have found performance-enhancing substances on the materials Brian McNamee said he used to inject Roger Clemens, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

McNamee turned over the syringes, vials and gauze pads to federal investigators last year, after he told baseball investigator George Mitchell he injected the pitcher with steroids and human growth hormone. The Washington Post reported Feb. 6 that tests linked Clemens' DNA to blood in the syringes given to investigators by McNamee.

Clemens has said repeatedly that McNamee, his former personal trainer, injected him with B-12 and the painkiller lidocaine.

"I assumed, and I am not surprised, that the tests were positive for both DNA and for performance-enhancing drugs, because that's what Brian said all along, and there's not much doubt that Brian's been telling the truth," McNamee's lawyer, Richard Emery, told The Associated Press. "The confirmation of that fact, once again, just seems to me to be another significant step towards jail for Clemens."

A federal grand jury in Washington is investigating whether Clemens lied when he told a congressional committee last year that he didn't use illegal performance-enhancing substances. McNamee, testifying before the same committee, said he repeatedly injected Clemens with steroids and HGH.

Rusty Hardin, Clemens' lawyer, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

No Hall of Fame for Roger.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Yes, I think Republicans nationwide are feeling great shame today about a few of them supporting Clemens. I actually spoke to one who said he felt greater shame about Mark Rich's pardon but I quickly corrected him.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Hardin said out of court that the steroids and DNA were criminally planted by MacNamee, with no equivocation or 'in my opinion, it appears to me's. Assuming this is false and Hardin knows it's false, my question is can a lawyer lose a slander suit for such a statement? Or are they, as advocates speaking for one side of the argument, immune?

If MacNamee is the truthful party, the irony would be that Clemens and Hardin are suing for slander, yet the only slanderous statements would be by Clemens and Hardin as a product of their slander case.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

An off-topic post about steroids in baseball (hey, there's some breaking news) starts off with a political slant.

Beautiful and oh-so-well played. Oh yes, and don't forget predictable.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

if it comes out that he didn't pay his taxes, maybe he can get a cabinet position. I'd hate to see 'ol Rog out of work.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I think his pompous attorney is feeling worst of all.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Why is this story news? The syringes, vials and gauze pads were in McNamee's possession for the last 8-9 years. A good defense attorney (which Clemens should think about hiring someday) will say that McNamee had plenty of time to tamper and/or outright manufacture the evidence.

I think Clemens is guilty as hell, but this means nothing to me.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I think there's just perhaps a small chain of evidence problem here.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jim, I'm certain that will be the route that Clemens attorney will go.

At this point though I'm not sure who will buy that story.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

Jim...Hardin has already stated that. As a matter of fact here is his quote below. Might i add that any attorney with a hairdo like his has to have super confidence to go out in public because it looks like a small animal died on top of his head.

"Duh," Rusty said with exaggeration. "Do you really think McNamee was going to fabricate this stuff and not make sure there were substances on there?"

I kinda like the attorney to Roger's right pointing the finger because he really looks to be the type who is capable of BRINGING THE NOISE.

[linked image]

Old 03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY galovich

Say it Ain't So Joe!!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: oysters

For lurkers like me the collecting and sports expertise regularly posted on this board is truly impressive and educational. Obviously, many of the board contributors have wonderful and valuable collections, are rightfully proud, and willingly share scans and knowledge with those of us who are less accomplished.

Too bad that the need to try to influence unrelated personal opinion (i.e., political), no matter how futile, oftentimes detracts from such positives.

GHG!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

Oysters,

In this particular case, however, the controversy was politicized by the baseball player, not the participants of the board. So I feel that while politicizing every topic on the board certainly is inappropriate, in this case how could one not? It is an integral part of the story.

And for my two cents, I'm not at all surprised by this recent development. Who could be? I long had my A-Rod suspicions as well before he came clean. And is Clemens' legal actions, and the actions of the Republicans who supported him, disgraceful? In my estimation, yes, as he was clearly welcomed into the good ole boy network.

Clemens' behavior and obvious drug use warrant no such special treatment.

Jamie

Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Jamie,

Duly noted. However, my post was in response to Bob's lead-in comment...which, by the way, has since been deleted.

My opinion (and we all know what opinions are like) is that Clemens either 'did' or he 'didn't', but the political party of politicians involved in related hearings is totally immaterial.

Regards.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Okay, enough political talk..Bob has edited his post. Please keep this thread to the topic at hand. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Personally I feel the era of the late 90's early 2000 was a Steroid playing era. That made players all equal in my demented Book. Then why throw a star on a crucifix? He was Playing against Roid using Teams..Owners,Managers.Players,Teams looked the other way.
Hof he is,I seen him Pitch at Yankee Stadium in the 80's , he was no way using. His Fastball was soooooooooo quick....I just listed to the sound off the Catchers Mit...Everyone has a opinion. I still feel Joe Jackson & Rose should be HOFERS!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

I agree with the last post.

Favorite Clemens moment was the throwing of the bat at Piazza. Game,set,match and series over.

Another great story is Michael Phelps. Now here is the best swimmer to ever put on a speedo and because the kid is young and went to a party and smoked a joint the whole world is crying.

Corporate sponsorship wants to drop him and some have, folks want to strip his medals. What a crock of nonsense. Leave the kid alone and i hope he returns and smashes his own records 4 years from now.

I did see where High Times and Zig-Zag have picked up the corporate slack and offered Phelps the cover of the mag and rolling paper brand.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

Well I guess it's good that he didn't get his ring in 86 because the Mets were such good role models !