NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
This was my first thought. This is not good. Once people who have no idea what they're doing start getting in, it usually signifies a problem.

For me not one bit. TPGs have limitations, but they are commoditizing (raw cards into value buckets) makes it easier to assign value, thus adding liquidity, thus adding value. In fact, the more we get to i) a market where graded cards are the standard and ii) price indications as a result of online sales research (ebay and auctions), the more our cards will retain value and withstand future market dislocations.

The fact that people are interested and looking into card collecting is a GOOD thing, not something to be weary of. (I'd be more weary of having no where to hide in this asset bubble environment we are in.)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
LOL

And Barry, I don't personally care if people want to invest in cards without knowing or even liking them. It's American and I have a laissez-faire attitude.
That's perfectly fine, but my point was that if investors who don't collect are buying cards to sell to other investors who don't collect, that's not the bedrock for a solid market. People are of course free to do whatever they want, I'm just suggesting that it's the real long term collectors who make the hobby what it is. Speculators on the other hand create the bubble economy. You're confusing what we are free to do versus what is prudent to do.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I think we may be seeing things from a different angle. But from my corner of the hobby (and I am one of the smaller-scale collectors out there), and forgive me if this is addressing a different point than you are making, this IS happening in ways, shapes and forms. Investors do appear to be lining up, and have been. Various threads on this board address the numerous articles by Forbes on investing in baseball cards, collectors here and elsewhere often bring up the specter of "foreign investors" or somesuch when diving into price surges, PWCC has a section on their website for "Investors," the term "investment grade" is now well-established in the hobby, and even threads on this board dating from 2002 discuss investment in cards - and I'm sure there's many many other examples out there.
Anyway, I feel like this is a big tangent on a thread designed to help a board member's family in finding cards to fit their goals, and the tangent is perhaps belabored by now. Apologies to the OP if this has detracted from your inquiry!
Regardless of how you try and rationalize it, the point is irrefutable that investing in baseball cards in no way compares to making investments in the stock market, and never will. How knowledgeable people are is inconsequential, for investor security and peace of mind, the stock market will always trump fly by night investments... period.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 PM

PSA graded Michael Jordan rookies.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Anson

Dare I say that most of the suggestions are biased from actual collectors, not investors. I'm not claiming that Cobbs, Ruths, or some of the other suggestions haven't appreciated quite a bit. But, if you truly were in it to maximize your return, you probably wouldn't ask a bunch of collectors their opinions or base you approach on the last 12 months of anecdotal trending. I suggested T206 commons earlier because they seem to outpace most of the HOFers as a percentage over the past several years. Additionally, if you evaluate the risk of higher grade T206, 33 Goudey, 52 Topps HOFers being altered and at some point being "outed", the lower grade stuff or commons provide a little more security over the long haul.

Again, these are just my opinions and anyone serious about investing in cards should do a lot more research and a lot less listening to the collectors on this board. We're just going to tell you what we want and what we're willing to throw our wallets at.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Regardless of how you try and rationalize it, the point is irrefutable that investing in baseball cards in no way compares to making investments in the stock market, and never will. How knowledgeable people are is inconsequential, for investor security and peace of mind, the stock market will always trump fly by night investments... period.
Clearly at an impasse. I respect your unwavering commitment to not budge on the point, but will respectfully disagree that these two investments, or any two things in general, cannot be compared. I've had many a productive discussion on the matter and will look forward to others who are willing to explore the topic.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:55 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
For me not one bit. TPGs have limitations, but they are commoditizing (raw cards into value buckets) makes it easier to assign value, thus adding liquidity, thus adding value. In fact, the more we get to i) a market where graded cards are the standard and ii) price indications as a result of online sales research (ebay and auctions), the more our cards will retain value and withstand future market dislocations.

The fact that people are interested and looking into card collecting is a GOOD thing, not something to be weary of. (I'd be more weary of having no where to hide in this asset bubble environment we are in.)
I pretty much agree with all of this... within the context of modest, steady growth. But when a market becomes so hot so fast that Joe Schmoe down the street starts asking about what cards to "invest in", that has historically signified the end of the food chain. That's when the insiders dump everything on Joe for inflated prices and leave him with the shit end of the stick. That said, I think you make an interesting point that grading has caused a bit of a paradigm shift which may very well be a permanent disruption. Only time will tell.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Clearly at an impasse. I respect your unwavering commitment to not budge on the point, but will respectfully disagree that these two investments, or any two things in general, cannot be compared. I've had many a productive discussion on the matter and will look forward to others who are willing to explore the topic.
What is there to budge on? If you were able to provide a cogent counter to what I stated, you would've done so, and with all due respect, I saw no evidence of that. In my opinion, you were not able to dispel the fact that the stock market to most would be a safer investment than baseball cards.

It's nothing at all personal, you seem like a well spoken, intelligent individual. I'm sure there are many topics we would agree on.

And be fair, there are certainly things in life that are not comparable.... like maybe a Ford Pinto and Ferrari F40
Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
In my opinion, you were not able to dispel the fact that the stock market to most would be a safer investment than baseball cards.

If this was what we were talking about, it was totally unclear to me. I wasn’t addressing this, and I didn’t get that train of thought from what I was reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Thanks so much for all of the comments thus far! I sort of mentioned it in the first post, but this family member already has money in the market and is familiar with that, but wanted to branch out a bit from that or precious metals. It may be art or something else, but I am a sports card collector and having seen some of the gains being shown in the "blue chip" vintage sports cards, I thought I would ask the question since I haven't had that kind of money to potentially invest. I sort of doubt they will go the way of investing in cards, but just like art or wine etc., there is definitely an upside to collectibles if the right ones are selected. Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
So people now want to invest in baseball cards without being card collectors and without any knowledge of what they should buy. Does that concern anyone?
Ummm...did you read the OP? They are asking questions of knowledgeable folks, like you would ask an investment adviser about which stocks/funds to buy. Face it, sports cards have become a commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeper View Post
Cobb seems like a blue chip legend but if even a TASTE of the social justice movement gets into this hobby, he is going to take a serious hit. I know I avoid Cap Anson cards for this reason. Try selling that in 20 years for a profit (over inflation).

Ruth is the king. The gold standard.
Ummm....Ruth was no golden boy. If the social justice movement is now asking to remove Thomas Jefferson statues and his name from buildings (they are), what makes you think they will ignore Ruth. Pretty soon Yankee Stadium will be "The House that Ruth Mantle Arod Whitey Billy Mo Built" Mo may be the only one left standing.

And back to the OPs question, I would invest in high grade, recognizable names - Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Robinson, Aaron, Mays, Williams, Dimaggio, etc.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-11-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Ummm...did you read the OP? They are asking questions of knowledgeable folks, like you would ask an investment adviser about which stocks/funds to buy. Face it, sports cards have become a commodity.

Ummm....Ruth was no golden boy. If the social justice movement is now asking to remove Thomas Jefferson statues and his name from buildings (they are), what makes you think they will ignore Ruth. Pretty soon Yankee Stadium will be "The House that Ruth Mantle Arod Whitey Billy Mo Built" Mo may be the only one left standing.

And back to the OPs question, I would invest in high grade, recognizable names - Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Robinson, Aaron, Mays, Williams, Dimaggio, etc.
Yeah how offensive to name something after Jefferson. Who's next, Lincoln?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
+1

Add to that...

Joe Jackson...Derek Jeter, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper.

Oh, and T206 rare backs.

PS- Barry (Hi Barry), where have you been brother? Non-Collectors have been dipping into the Hobby for YEARS! And as someone above mentioned, that's a good thing for the Hobby. Recognize that.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'd pick one card you'll enjoy owning and looking at for a while. Go with a big name and hope for the best. I'd stick with Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Joe Jackson, or Mantle.

I wouldn't worry about any social justice warriors. I doubt many are in the hobby and I also doubt many in the hobby care much for their opinions. I sure don't.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default 10,000 the spend

10,000 to spend

Checking some recent EBAY "sold"

1951 Bowman Mantle

PSA 7 $31400

PSA 4 $7800 - $8500

PSA 5 $9400

1933 Goudey Ruth (most colors)

PSA 4 $5800 range

1934 Gerhig #37

PSA 8 $28801 (PWCC)

PSA 6 $5996

PSA 4 $3153- $4276

1934 Goudey complete set VG/EX $5200 Jan/19 (Good Buy) #37 and #161 PSA 2.5

1993 Jeter SP

PSA 9 around $4800

PSA 8.5 & 9 $9500

I assume these might be bought off line at a little better price ? (except may be the 1934 Goudey complete set?)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
+1

Add to that...

Joe Jackson...Derek Jeter, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper.

Oh, and T206 rare backs.

PS- Barry (Hi Barry), where have you been brother? Non-Collectors have been dipping into the Hobby for YEARS! And as someone above mentioned, that's a good thing for the Hobby. Recognize that.
Hi Michael,
I sold baseball cards for thirty years, but never knew the level of commitment of each buyer. I didn't know who was a serious collector and who was a speculator. I just cashed the checks.

But my point is learn something about the hobby before you sink serious money into it. The more you learn yourself, the better off you will be.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Years ago I always went to the barber shop to get investment advice, but since I now have no hair, I’m stuck with Net54.
When I was a kid - the Barber Shop had a Pristine example of a Jackalope mounted on the wall. Such a rare creature - Haven't seen another one since.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Yelich

Yelich

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Unlike coins, which have an intrinsic value, Stocks (without dividends) only carry a perceived value, similar to cards. They are only worth what someone will pay, and are subject to a catalysts within and outside if their respective marketplace.

In this regard, cards are are a similar "investment vehicle" to (non-dividend) stocks.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Joshua

Default A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Unlike coins, which have an intrinsic value, Stocks (without dividends) only carry a perceived value, similar to cards. They are only worth what someone will pay, and are subject to a catalysts within and outside if their respective marketplace.

In this regard, cards are are a similar "investment vehicle" to (non-dividend) stocks.
I respectfully disagree on these points. Everything is “perceived”.

Coins intrinsic value is limited to face value which is nominal. Anything above is collectible value, same as baseball cards but without the attachment to history.

Stocks without dividends are valued based on its growth rate of future free cash flows (augmented by one time tax cuts, unsustainable accommodative central banks, and admittedly a strong economy) discounted by a historically low Goldilocks discount rate, and impacted by smoke and mirrors stock buybacks and positive headline risk fomo.

Cards are impacted by general asset (re)valuation, employment, and people’s liquidity requirements as it impacts short term supply and demand.

They all have different coefficients, but would suspect coins and cards have higher correlation and r squared than cards and stocks.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Anson

Beanie babies are making a comeback. Invest now! Especially those with a sick patch
Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Intrinsic - belonging naturally; essential. ie face value, even melt value

Stocks - you don't even own a piece of paper anymore. What does future cash flow, or this "value" growth rate you speak of, allow you to spend? it's only worth what someone will pay at a given time based on what they think it will be worth.

edited: and each there is someone selling a stock convinced it will go down, to someone convinced it will go up. This happens with cards sometimes

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 04-12-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Yelich

Biased!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Well said Joshua.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:56 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I do believe that there will continue to be price appreciation in the best such as Jordan or Mantle rookies. Beyond that, though, long term I believe many bad investments abound. How many millennial or gen z kids exist that will shell out hundreds or thousands for high grade commons? What about middling hof rookie cards, tough or not. There may always be a hard core few who need a Kiki cuyler auto rookie but if I were holding these types of “investments” I would not feel any more secure than the speculative equivalent in any other market.

The card I bought as an investment that I worry about the least is my 86 fleer Jordan. Remember the best investments are those which appreciate quickest after purchasing. For me it is that card.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Intrinsic - belonging naturally; essential. ie face value, even melt value

Stocks - you don't even own a piece of paper anymore. What does future cash flow, or this "value" growth rate you speak of, allow you to spend? it's only worth what someone will pay at a given time based on what they think it will be worth.

edited: and each there is someone selling a stock convinced it will go down, to someone convinced it will go up. This happens with cards sometimes
Don’t mean to hijack the thread to stocks but growth (no dividends) is particularly (over) valued in low rate environments because it’s the compound affect of discounting that future growth is muted.

Hence value without any dividends (spending $). Add demand from stock buybacks and lack of options being us (market) is the best house in a bad neighborhood and the reduction Of publicly availble stocks from pe buyouts, and you have a meltup
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I respectfully disagree on these points. Everything is “perceived”.

Coins intrinsic value is limited to face value which is nominal. Anything above is collectible value, same as baseball cards but without the attachment to history.

Stocks without dividends are valued based on its growth rate of future free cash flows (augmented by one time tax cuts, unsustainable accommodative central banks, and admittedly a strong economy) discounted by a historically low Goldilocks discount rate, and impacted by smoke and mirrors stock buybacks and positive headline risk fomo.

Cards are impacted by general asset (re)valuation, employment, and people’s liquidity requirements as it impacts short term supply and demand.

They all have different coefficients, but would suspect coins and cards have higher correlation and r squared than cards and stocks.
Quote:
Don’t mean to hijack the thread to stocks but growth (no dividends) is particularly (over) valued in low rate environments because it’s the compound affect of discounting that future growth is muted.

Hence value without any dividends (spending $). Add demand from stock buybacks and lack of options being us (market) is the best house in a bad neighborhood and the reduction Of publicly availble stocks from pe buyouts, and you have a meltup

My nomination for the Net54 Bryson DeChambeau Award.

However you failed to mention the spin rate of the spokes in the card market, which is less of a factor in stocks with potential dividend accrual resulting.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-12-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM
John

I'd be lazy to do the book keeping - same way I feel about bitcoin. With my TD Ameritrade account I can make as many trades as I want - I know I'll be getting a tax statement at the end of the year.

I think it would be interesting if we started seeing funds that invest in sports collectables - maybe they already exist.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I tend to look at relative values. Like why has the green Cobb T206 skyrocked but the 150 series Young portrait hasn't? They used to be much closer in value. I'd pick up a nice Young or two. I'd also focus on nice eye appeal T206 portraits. Boring but solid. I'd also throw in a bet on a few of the top Mike Trout RCs in PSA 10 or Beckett 9.5 condition. They've doubled in recent months but given their potential for a LeBron like further surge, maybe worth it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I tend to look at relative values. Like why has the green Cobb T206 skyrocked but the 150 series Young portrait hasn't? They used to be much closer in value. I'd pick up a nice Young or two. I'd also focus on nice eye appeal T206 portraits. Boring but solid. I'd also throw in a bet on a few of the top Mike Trout RCs in PSA 10 or Beckett 9.5 condition. They've doubled in recent months but given their potential for a LeBron like further surge, maybe worth it.
Beckett 9.5s are dead for the most part. Sell at a huge discount to PSA 10s.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-12-2019 at 11:33 AM.