NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default "The Scandal" Turns 3

This week marks the third anniversary of the Blowout thread on the PWCC 1952 Topps Mantle that quickly morphed into a far-reaching scandal with every day seeming to bring new accusations against card doctors and their enablers, and outed cards in droves. There were stories in the national press, an FBI investigation, subpoenas at the National, astonishing ostrich acts by TPGs and the culprits themselves, and so forth.

So, where are we after 3 years? The cynic in me is tempted to say, exactly as we were before.

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, there have been no indictments or guilty pleas.

Speculation is that Brent Huigens, who had been cooperating with the FBI, decided not to. But again, I don't know that.

I also don't know the status of the investigation itself. I certainly hope it's ongoing, although I can understand why some would think otherwise.

More importantly, though, how many have changed their behavior as a result of all the revelations? Have you stopped buying from people who were outed? Have you increased your research on cards before buying? Have you changed what you buy? Or are you still pretty much relying on the flip to tell you the card is unaltered (if you even care)?

Personally, I had high hopes this would bring about major changes to the hobby or the graded card segment anyhow. Now, I think not.

As you were.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Well stated.

Sadly it is my opinion that this has passed over, nobody will be held accountable, many are still setting up at the major shows or walking the floor. Every Major Auction Realizes Higher and Higher Sales, it’s an Investors Market Now, all that matters is the grade. Many could care less, they just want the number on the slab.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-24-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Drew W@i$e

Nothing has changed… scratch that, investors got wealthier.

And those subpoenas from the National? Forget about it.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:40 AM
Drew W@i$e

The whole thing saddens me sometimes. But most collectors could care less.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:10 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Nothing has changed… scratch that, investors got wealthier.

And those subpoenas from the National? Forget about it.
+1 agreed.
Their should have been accountability but not surprised there was not

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-24-2022, 12:16 PM
Tony Conte

Before that there was the t206’s with bad autographs. Right? How did that one get resolved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2022, 12:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Like it or not, Jake was 100% right and most here were wrong.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:34 PM
Anthony

I'm sure a lot of those "outed" PSA cards have been bought and sold many times over since, and as long as money is being made, nobody seems to care.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:04 PM

Default choosing sides

I wish calvindog was on my side. Keith H Thompson
Old 04-24-2022, 02:13 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Although nothing has changed in the hobby with regard to buying and selling, I think many buyers may still be looking more closely at graded cards, especially PSA cards. I know I do. I do think PSA has adopted a more rigorous grading process to earn that public trust back again, but that's about it.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Although nothing has changed in the hobby with regard to buying and selling, I think many buyers may still be looking more closely at graded cards, especially PSA cards. I know I do. I do think PSA has adopted a more rigorous grading process to earn that public trust back again, but that's about it.
I saw a great deal of high priced SGC cards listed as being altered on the Blowout threads so the issue seems to be far from isolated to PSA. I am a nothing in the hobby but to those I spoke with about a year ago many of the guys mentioned on Blowout are still submitting to PSA so dunno that PSA has earned the trust back as much as their graded material sells for strong prices...still.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I saw a great deal of high priced SGC cards listed as being altered on the Blowout threads so the issue seems to be far from isolated to PSA. I am a nothing in the hobby but to those I spoke with about a year ago many of the guys mentioned on Blowout are still submitting to PSA so dunno that PSA has earned the trust back as much as their graded material sells for strong prices...still.
Possibly the change in ownership?
Old 04-24-2022, 04:11 PM
Johnny MaZilli

The New AI Grading Machine I think is going to be the game changer. I’m glad they’re using it.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:37 PM
Rich Klein

Ryan between his book and his videos on you tube is doing great work on helping us find fakes

https://www.amazon.com/Spotting-Fake.../dp/B09MYST97Q

and his you tube chanel

https://www.youtube.com/c/BreakoutSportsCards

Rich
Old 04-24-2022, 06:01 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Ryan between his book and his videos on you tube is doing great work on helping us find fakes

https://www.amazon.com/Spotting-Fake.../dp/B09MYST97Q

and his you tube chanel

https://www.youtube.com/c/BreakoutSportsCards

Rich
Maybe because I do vintage I am less worried about fakes than I am altered. The bulk of bad cards are altered than fake, no?
Old 04-24-2022, 06:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Maybe because I do vintage I am less worried about fakes than I am altered. The bulk of bad cards are altered than fake, no?
I think there are many cards that are altered and are difficult to discern as altered. I think there are basically no outright fakes that are difficult to discern as outright fakes. There's a ton of fakes, but I've yet to find any that are very difficult to tell are not original cards. I would say altered cards are the problem right now, but fakes may well be the bigger problem long term. It seems almost inevitable that there eventually will be fakes we basically can't tell apart. There's simply too much profit for the first person to manufacture a convincing T206 fake for it not to happen eventually. Someone who can figure out how to use c. 1910 equipment with the right ink and the right stock can create instant retirement money off printing a handful of cards. Considering PSA can't even separate Dover reprints from originals, it seems likely something like this will eventually happen, be authenticated, and be a serious problem for the high rollers.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Before that there was the t206’s with bad autographs. Right? How did that one get resolved?

I remember that as well, but I haven't heard anything about it in years.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I think there are many cards that are altered and are difficult to discern as altered. I think there are basically no outright fakes that are difficult to discern as outright fakes. There's a ton of fakes, but I've yet to find any that are very difficult to tell are not original cards. I would say altered cards are the problem right now, but fakes may well be the bigger problem long term. It seems almost inevitable that there eventually will be fakes we basically can't tell apart. There's simply too much profit for the first person to manufacture a convincing T206 fake for it not to happen eventually. Someone who can figure out how to use c. 1910 equipment with the right ink and the right stock can create instant retirement money off printing a handful of cards. Considering PSA can't even separate Dover reprints from originals, it seems likely something like this will eventually happen, be authenticated, and be a serious problem for the high rollers.
And when fakes become a major issue, people will probably bury their head in the flip then too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
That one was getting hushed up very quickly. I was amazed at how many people wanted that to go away and not be talked about. It worked to because it was like "poof" and it was swept under the rug.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:58 PM
Chase

Quote:
Agreed which is why I was wondering why a reference was being made to a guy who identifies fakes is on a thread having to do with a massive issue of altered graded cards that seems far from resolved.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:03 PM

Default Authenticity and not much else

I’ve decided that if I’m going to keep collecting cards, that one of the risks is that they might be altered. I won’t knowingly buy a graded card that is trimmed but it just goes with the territory now. I recently purchased a graded card where I had a raw example. The raw card was bigger all around than the graded version. I’m at a point where my expectations are much lower now for TPGs. I only trust that I’m getting an authentic card and not much else.

J@son L@nge

Last edited by JLange; 04-24-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:28 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And when fakes become a major issue, people will probably bury their head in the flip then too.
100% guaranteed. Reality only matters if people decide reality is what matters and not the narrative. If PSA says it's a 10, it's a 10 no matter if it's trimmed, creased, or was an 8 last week.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
100% guaranteed. Reality only matters if people decide reality is what matters and not the narrative. If PSA says it's a 10, it's a 10 no matter if it's trimmed, creased, or was an 8 last week.
There's a great line by Wallace Stevens I'm fond of quoting: And what we said of it became a part of what it is.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-24-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:19 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I honestly forgot what this is all about and googled it and found the scandal

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298306

Last edited by chriskim; 04-25-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:00 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I honestly forgot what this is all about and googled it and found the scandal

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298306
Those are just two threads. There are more than a dozen I believe, with each one featuring a high profile dealer who is slicing and dicing cards. There might even be a thread that serves as a table of contents and lists all the applicable threads.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:33 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
One thing which came out of that event was SGC Closed down their autograph authentication service. That was a significant reaction in my opinion.

Rich
Old 04-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Albert Bee

Default scam

Not much has changed..and those doctored cards are still out there..in somebody's collection...and they know it....and someday will try to pass them on to another collector
Old 04-25-2022, 08:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
One thing which came out of that event was SGC Closed down their autograph authentication service. That was a significant reaction in my opinion.

Rich
Yes.... and far fewer (meaning hardly any) signed T206 have hit the market since then. I'd say it was a positive outcome.

Perhaps not so much for the altered card scandal (which is waaaaay larger in scope). Perhaps the FBI is still on it, but it's looking like the only real casualty is PWCC, who was booted from ebay.

If nothing else, the sleuths at Blowout helped us to steer clear of a whole bunch of dishonest sellers. That's some consolation, anyway.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

I will be beyond disappointed if there are no consequences for the card doctors who have polluted this hobby. But even if that’s the case, it’s certainly been interesting and an education.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I will be beyond disappointed if there are no consequences for the card doctors who have polluted this hobby. But even if that’s the case, it’s certainly been interesting and an education.
+1. Hopefully those who committed so much fraud will get their just dues. And that means some type of punishment other than only giving refunds of cards they altered and sold to deceive.

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:23 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post

You’re kidding right?
Old 04-26-2022, 01:51 PM
pete ullman

I admit I was wrong...I thought for sure somebody would pay a big price/do some jail time.

If that didn't derail the hobby I'm not sure anything can?
Old 04-26-2022, 03:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I admit I was wrong...I thought for sure somebody would pay a big price/do some jail time.

If that didn't derail the hobby I'm not sure anything can?
And little Sir John and the nut-brown bowl
Proved the strongest man at last

Old 04-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

More importantly, though, how many have changed their behavior as a result of all the revelations?
As a result of all of this, I have started buying more modern cards. With vintage cards, you can soak them, remove stains, whiten the paper stock, press out light creases, press down corners, recolor them, etc. Now, try doing all of this on modern card stock - you can't!

The only thing that I have to look out for when I buy modern is a) trimming and b) to make sure the jersey patch wasn't switched. However, most of the modern cards that I buy don't have patches, and so this isn't much of an issue.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
yes...john barleycorn MUST DIE!!!
Old 04-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
yes...john barleycorn MUST DIE!!!
The "three men" are the BODA guys, I think.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:50 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
The "three men" are the BODA guys, I think.
haha...good one!
Old 04-27-2022, 01:01 AM
Bob Davies

The scandal may not even be known to folks who were not in the hobby three years ago, of which I think there are many.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:12 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Love it! My favorite Traffic tune.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:01 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Ironically, the 52 Mantle that started it all wasn't even altered. It was just soaked in water.

I've been saying since the beginning that nobody is going to be prosecuted for any of this. Not even the most egregious of trimmers. I can just imagine a criminal trial where some guy is accused of trimming cards, sending them off to a 3rd party to have them graded, having those grades come back as 10s, and reselling them for a profit. I think people in this hobby seem to have a difficult time wrapping their heads around the fact that to the rest of the world, this is an absolute nothing burger.

I wouldn't even care if a card in my collection was trimmed unless it presents as clearly having been. I have a centered 54 Topps set. There's a ton of variance in size with these. Are some of them trimmed? Maybe. Perhaps even probably. But I couldn't tell you which ones if so, and neither could anyone else. As long as they look right and measure to within the tolerance of specs, then I'm happy.

Someone from the Blowhard forums contacted me outside the forum after reading some of my comments on the topic a couple years back. He claimed to have sent hundreds of trimmed cards to both PSA and BGS and said he has never had a single card get rejected for it. I don't know how true that is, maybe the guy was just trolling me or trying to get a rise out of me? I don't know. Although, I have pack-pulled cards falsely get rejected as "trimmed" probably at least 1% of the time), But I wouldn't be surprised if what he claimed was mostly true. I just don't see how it's possible to detect that 1/128th of an inch has been trimmed off of a modern card that already has super sharp edges to begin with.

I highly doubt the investigation is still ongoing. I think the FBI probably saw this as a bunch of collectors mad at other collectors for doing things to their cards that they don't approve of. Basically, I think they view it as a small group of bitter septuagenarians and a handful of millenial cancel culture heroes with nothing better to do than to try to cancel people for not following the unwritten "rules" of the hobby. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those FBI agents are now trimming cards for a little extra cash lol.

As far as my buying behavior goes, it hasn't changed much for me. I'm more aware of how widespread it is now, so I keep an eye out for cards that look obviously trimmed, but other than that, it has no effect on my collecting habits. If anything, I think it has pushed some of the Blowhard junkies away from perfectly good cards. All those conspiracy theory enthusiasts at Blowhard now think every edge of every card that gets posted has been trimmed. It's absolutely hilarious reading some of those threads. And despite the fact that it gets pointed out multiple times in every thread that card sizes vary significantly direct from the manufacturer, somehow all of these clowns still think that all you need is a ruler to catch a trimmed card.

This will not bring about any changes to the hobby. Nobody cares. Or rather, not enough people care.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I've been saying since the beginning that nobody is going to be prosecuted for any of this. Not even the most egregious of trimmers. I can just imagine a criminal trial where some guy is accused of trimming cards, sending them off to a 3rd party to have them graded, having those grades come back as 10s, and reselling them for a profit. I think people in this hobby seem to have a difficult time wrapping their heads around the fact that to the rest of the world, this is an absolute nothing burger.

Snowman agree it’s rich people who have been getting conned who really cares….it’s obviously the government doesn’t. Trimmers alterers will never be prosecuted, never, won’t happen, to hard to prove. It’s the wild Wild Wild West in this hobby always has been and always will be…you have to be informed if you aren’t Shame on you. All the info is out there. Mastro didn’t go to jail for trimming it was shilling. Card doctors will continue to thrive they still set up at shows, buy from most major actions auction houses, (who cares if they pay, AH doesn’t, they take their business I would to if they pay, they haven’t been convicted of anything, just shady allegations which is large percentage of this hobby anyway)consign, and walk the floor of all major shows.

Now I hear about from a collector the he has an account with PWCC..he stated he is getting 1% monthly interest on a capital loan against portfolio w free vault storage. What the hell is this ?

The rich get richer the poor get poor and middle pay more and spend less. The FOMO is over....

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-01-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:18 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post

Snowman agree it’s rich people who have been getting conned who really cares….it’s obviously the government doesn’t. Trimmers alterers will never be prosecuted, never, won’t happen, to hard to prove. It’s the wild Wild Wild West in this hobby always has been and always will be…you have to be informed if you aren’t Shame on you. All the info is out there. Mastro didn’t go to jail for trimming it was shilling. Card doctors will continue to thrive they still set up at shows, buy from most major actions auction houses, (who cares if they pay, AH doesn’t, they take their business I would to if they pay, they haven’t been convicted of anything, just shady allegations which is large percentage of this hobby anyway)consign, and walk the floor of all major shows.

Now I hear about from a collector the he has an account with PWCC..he stated he is getting 1% monthly interest on a capital loan against portfolio w free vault storage. What the hell is this ?

The rich get richer the poor get poor and middle pay more or spend less. The FOMO is over....
Great points!

Doctoring or altering a card you own is in no way, shape, or form a crime in and of itself. And neither is submitting such an altered card to a TPG for grading. And the TPGs only give their "opinions" on graded cards, and among all of them have no consistent, standardized, and agreed upon grading standards. And supposedly they don't disclose exact reasons for given grades to submitters, nor keep grader's notes and records. If ever hauled into court, there is no detail to point to, and given the volume of cards they grade, they can honestly say they most likely can't remember any one specific card.

A card doctor submitting altered cards to TPGs and getting them passed and into numerically graded slabs is akin to a form of legalized money laundering. It's almost a perfect, what should be illegal, business. Kind of reminds me of an old saying by an anonymous hooker, "You got it, you sell it, you still got it. What a business!!!"

Last edited by BobC; 05-01-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:11 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Late to the party here, but I have changed the way I collect since learning how many altered cards are in slabs. Always new that trimmed cards were getting by, but the sheer number of cards beating the TPG's was pretty surprising.

My response has been to focus on my raw sets, and to buy mid grade / under-graded vintage that is victim of the new and mostly inconsistent grading standards. While there has always been discrepancy between grades, it is out of control now which creates a lot of opportunity for those of us that only care about having nice looking cards, raw, grades, multiple TPG, whatever.

TBH enjoying the hobby more then ever, will let others battle over high grade altered cards.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:17 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
As a result of all of this, I have started buying more modern cards. With vintage cards, you can soak them, remove stains, whiten the paper stock, press out light creases, press down corners, recolor them, etc. Now, try doing all of this on modern card stock - you can't!

The only thing that I have to look out for when I buy modern is a) trimming and b) to make sure the jersey patch wasn't switched. However, most of the modern cards that I buy don't have patches, and so this isn't much of an issue.
Good luck with that. I remember reading a post on BO where they outed something like 50 McDavid FWA's as being trimmed. Apparently they come big from the factory and guys were trimming these into 10s in bulk. Not exactly a cheap card either.

Suspect it would be incredibly easy to do the same with most young guns. In fact, you could probably invest in a modern cutter and trim your way to glory with modern hockey, the TPG's have not demonstrated any ability to spot micro trimming on modern cards.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Keep in mind that with strict rules of evidence and a very high burden of proof, not all crimes can be successfully prosecuted in court. At one point Brent Huigens was a cooperating witness and his rumored decision not to cooperate may have changed the prosecutor's calculus. If indeed this is all over from the criminal justice angle, and we don't know that, I think evidentiary considerations likely were more the reason than either the FBI or the prosecutor considering this unimportant. Prosecutors only like to pursue cases they feel they have a strong chance of winning. The evidence in the court of public opinion is quite different from what is admissible in court. They couldn't just put up screenshots of Blowout threads.

All speculation of course.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Great points!

Doctoring or altering a card you own is in no way, shape, or form a crime in and of itself. And neither is submitting such an altered card to a TPG for grading. And the TPGs only give their "opinions" on graded cards, and among all of them have no consistent, standardized, and agreed upon grading standards. And supposedly they don't disclose exact reasons for given grades to submitters, nor keep grader's notes and records. If ever hauled into court, there is no detail to point to, and given the volume of cards they grade, they can honestly say they most likely can't remember any one specific card.

A card doctor submitting altered cards to TPGs and getting them passed and into numerically graded slabs is akin to a form of legalized money laundering. It's almost a perfect, what should illegal, business. Kind of reminds me of an old saying by an anonymous hooker, "You got it, you sell it, you still got it. What a business!!!"
I would take it even one step further though. I think someone could openly admit to each step you mention in a court of law and they still wouldn't be prosecuted for any crimes. It's not just that it's difficult to prove. It's also that it's simply not a crime regardless of how much some would like it to be.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:02 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Good luck with that. I remember reading a post on BO where they outed something like 50 McDavid FWA's as being trimmed. Apparently they come big from the factory and guys were trimming these into 10s in bulk. Not exactly a cheap card either.

Suspect it would be incredibly easy to do the same with most young guns. In fact, you could probably invest in a modern cutter and trim your way to glory with modern hockey, the TPG's have not demonstrated any ability to spot micro trimming on modern cards.
It's actually not that difficult to tell, well, for me anyways. All I do is lay the modern card down on a flat surface and then I place a small flashlight next to it at a certain angle. In the next step, I use a loupe and study the edges and corners. Believe it or not, but I have BGS 9.5 cards with bits of corner wear and bits of chipping on the edges. In other words, they are not supposed to look flawless. And it's even easier to tell when you study the backs. The backs usually have a different design compared to the fronts, such as colored borders, colored corners, etc. Again, even pack pulled examples should have a bit of "whiteness" showing on the corners there. I stay the hell away from modern cards that look perfect because I don't believe they came out of packs looking perfect.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:06 PM
Scott Russell

Posted in the related thread as well:

dumb question. How long (without the additional delaying effects of a pandemic) did the investigation of Mastro take? Doug Allen? Operation Bullpen? Was there a point in those investigations where people were like "see they didn't do anything because they haven't been charged and it's been 'X' amount of time"???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-07-2022, 08:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

OOf.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=149

Old 05-07-2022, 09:04 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Where there is a Will there is a Way.