NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2023, 06:02 AM
Javan

Default Was PUD GALVIN The First Doper?

Came across this USA Today article this morning, needless to say it got my attention. It’s not every day you see an article with PUD GALVIN in the title. Found it an amusing account!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...d/70610061007/
Old 12-13-2023, 06:53 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesofthegame View Post
Came across this USA Today article this morning, needless to say it got my attention. It’s not every day you see an article with PUD GALVIN in the title. Found it an amusing account!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...d/70610061007/
The story of Pud Galvin is widely known by many who study the history of our game. If we're being honest, doping of any kind has been going on since the sport began. Whether it was players like Galvin or Ruth getting injected with animal testosterone, Mantle paying money to visit "Dr. Feelgood" to inject him with something that led to an infection later on, or the copious amount of players that popped Greenies liked candy in order to be on high alert and ready to hit/pitch anything. Doping in our sport has been around for a long time. It's only been recent, when the players from the steroid era truly became stigmatized for doing something.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:30 AM
Ben North

The 2 main things that amaze me about PEDs are how people think their favorite player(s) was clean. Also the silly steroid era thing. PEDS were used for decades before then and are still being used today, there was no era.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:39 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The story of Pud Galvin is widely known by many who study the history of our game. If we're being honest, doping of any kind has been going on since the sport began. Whether it was players like Galvin or Ruth getting injected with animal testosterone, Mantle paying money to visit "Dr. Feelgood" to inject him with something that led to an infection later on, or the copious amount of players that popped Greenies liked candy in order to be on high alert and ready to hit/pitch anything. Doping in our sport has been around for a long time. It's only been recent, when the players from the steroid era truly became stigmatized for doing something.
Could not be summed up better.

It's a fact of life that people in all sports push to be the best in their game. Galvin was very open about his experiences and ideas. The naysayers will tell you it was unlikely to work, but intent is the crime...so yes Galvin was the first open steroid user in the hall.

As mentioned earlier, Mantle lost the 61' home run race due to a poorly placed steroid/speed/vitamin concoction by the same Dr. Feelgood that was doping JFK. The needle pierced his bone and caused an infection that kept him out.

Lyle Alzado was admittedly stacking tons of pure decabolin steroids while in college. If real steroids were available to college kids in 1967 -1970 at Yankton College, can any logical sense believe that professional players were not fully using?

It rankles the feathers of all the purist dreamers, but the "steroid era" was a complete and utter myth. It should be called the "we finally started testing era"

Sorry to tarnish the silver claret, but this is why the self-righteous anti-hof stands don't fly in my mind. I am sure someone will take offense, but the facts and evidence are all there.

To be honest, I don't care either. We will always be looking for these items and it will always take time to develop something to find it.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-13-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The 2 main things that amaze me about PEDs are how people think their favorite player(s) was clean. Also the silly steroid era thing. PEDS were used for decades before then and are still being used today, there was no era.
It's always just us two that get yelled at for this, lol.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:04 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
It's always just us two that get yelled at for this, lol.
I'm firmly in that camp as well. Make it three of us!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:04 AM
Mike R

I never understood why modern fans do not realize that cheating has been around forever. Wasn't there an early 1900s American League team that hid a concrete pad in front of home plate in order to hit "Baltimore Chops"? You never hear anything about Gaylord Perry and other spitballers. Tom House's (I believe it was him) allegations that the 70s Braves were juicing (Hank Aaron, Davy Johnson) were swept under the rug or ignored.

I not saying steroids are okay, but they were not illegal in baseball at the time. Heck, for some of the foreign players, they weren't even illegal in their home countries.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:39 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Count me in the camp that doesn't understand why historical chemical abuses are ignored or explained away while more modern examples are such a focus.

But that could largely be a function of being a Giants fanboy who feels like my man Bonds gets an oversize heaping of blame for his misdeeds, while others are largely overlooked.

Also explains why I'm boycotting Cooperstown until they let him in.

I guess Ortiz is okay for enshrinement because he wasn't quite the misanthrope towards the writers.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-13-2023, 09:40 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm firmly in that camp as well. Make it three of us!
I feel like I have spent 20 years being gaslit on the PED controversy. The general assumption by most folks arguing that PED users should be forever stained is that if the Mitchell report and/or media did not specifically call you out as a PED user, you are clean. In both cases, the only PED users discovered typically fall into three categories: (1) the player was unpopular or not generous to the press; (2) the player refused to give into blackmail from trainers/others with knowledge of their use; and/or (3) players outed by others that were against the wall and had to give some names to reduce their own liability.

To suggest that most PED users have been exposed is like suggesting "most" tax evaders have been outed by the IRS and press. It defies common sense.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

What I don't get are the impassioned arguments people make differentiating between greenies which their "clean" heroes gobbled, and "PEDs." It all improves performance that's why people take it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Pud Galvin, et al

pieces of the game/Javan-

This topic occasionally pops up on net54, and there are 2 common camps.
The first camp is populated by those who try to "extend the net" of PED use
to encompass almost the entirety of the sport, the 2nd camp tends to pump
the brakes on the "everybody does it and has for years, so it's okay" crowd.
I am in the second camp, so I'll be drawn and quartered very shortly...

The article about Galvin is interesting, it reads almost as humorous. The
reality is that we have no idea if ole Pud decided that one dose of animal
testicular fluid was enough, and decided not to do so again. We also can
imagine that the shot of testicular fluid wasn't the reason he threw a good
game the very next day(!), and we know for sure no one can prove it. In
2023, however, the science has very much evolved and we do indeed know
the tangible benefits of PED use. We also know that a number of modern
players engaged in elaborate efforts to use PEDs and to mask their
usage, sometimes in pursuit of treasured MLB records. We can also see the
physical results of these abuses- all we need do is look at the before/after
photos of Sosa, Bonds, etc... I am thinking of a guy who kipes his
neighbor's newspaper off the lawn (when there were papers), versus the guy
who mugs the delivery person after the round and takes all their profit.
Sure, both people did something wrong, but one guy went way off the
reservation- they are NOT the same thing, and equating them is unwise.

My response is lengthy already, so I'll remark that recent cunning and
planning involved is exponentially greater than that of someone like Galvin,
and was deliberately undertaken with prior knowledge of likely benefits.
These abuses definitely constitute an "era" of the game's existence.
I'll note that the folks who are indignant about this topic often come from
the "everybody does it" crowd. JustinD above tells us he doesn't care, while
using words like "self-righteous" and phrases about "tarnish(ing) the silver
claret". Seems he very, very much cares...

I'll conclude by saying I don't "refuse to believe" my favorite players use
PEDs. I'm a big Roberto fan, also Rod Carew, Koufax, Gibson- I feel pretty
confident they were who we thought they were. I like Hank Aaron too, and
no one can possibly prove his "greenie" use- such as it was- produced
tangible statistical results. I don't think these players were "perfect" either,
and can't recall claiming any of them were. I know I respect them a heck of
a lot more than some of the names mentioned in the thread, though.

Trent King
Old 12-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't doubt that more modern PEDs are more potent in terms of improving performance. And that the Mays/Aaron generation probably got less mileage out of whatever they were taking. My point, though, is that since they all (I believe) knowingly took advantage of whatever edge they could get, it's inappropriate to vilify Bonds, Clemens etc. while giving a pass to Mays, Aaron, etc. from a character perspective. The fact that the drugs in the 60s and 70s were less effective doesn't make that generation more heroic. I believe there is a lot of nostalgia bias in people's assessments.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:41 AM

I don't think this story actually happened after checking for it. There are zero mentions of it in Pittsburgh at any point before someone dug up the footnote, though there are jokes about it during that era, just like there are fountain of youth jokes when an old player did well. There were no experiments in Pittsburgh on that date. It was basically huge news everywhere at the same time that he had a great game, so I think it was a comical connection. When there were experiments done, they named the people in it and shared the results. August 13th for instance was done in Philadelphia, where they were also at the previous day.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if players tried it because they had no trouble finding people (healthy and not healthy) who were willing to try it. Many people reported negative side effects the next day. I wouldn't consider it to be anything different than trying a new aspirin back then that was said to cure headaches.

It's not comparable to players in the 60s doing pills or PED players, and definitely not comparable to players who failed after testing was put in. Those to me are the worst. There was nothing keeping your favorite player from the 60s from trying anything to help them.

What's more interesting about Galvin is the fact that he's known now still by the "Pud" nickname, which was almost never used in print before he was elected to the Hall of Fame and a bio was shared in all of the papers that used that nickname. Most people like the nickname for the obvious wrong pronunciation (it rhymes with Good not Dud), so of course it has stuck. It shouldn't be anything more than a footnote to his life, definitely not how he is known now. He would likely be shocked it's how he is known now if you could give him an elixir of life for a day

Also this story calls him the first guy to pitch a perfect game. How did no one notice that mistake?
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-13-2023, 12:18 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What I don't get are the impassioned arguments people make differentiating between greenies which their "clean" heroes gobbled, and "PEDs." It all improves performance that's why people take it.
Okay, I'll take the bait. There are significant differences between yesteryear's greenies, and today's performance enhancers. For brevity's sake, I'll highlight the two main ones.

First, greenies were legal. They were methamphetamines, which were readily available in stores and over-the-counter at the time. Methamphetamines were in diet pills, pills truck drivers took for energy, focus, and to stay awake, etc.

Mantle taking a greenie probably had the same effect as if he had drank a few cups of coffee before a game. Would you argue that gaining focus and energy through drinking 4 cups of coffee constitutes an unfair performance enhancer?

Conversely, non-medically prescribed steroids were and are illegal. Thus, one (greenies - methamphetamine pills) were legal at the time the players used them, whereas the other (steroids) were not.

Secondly, the performance enhancement level is not even questionable. Mantle basically took energy pills that were essentially the equivalent of drinking a few cups of coffee, whereas Bonds took steroids that caused him to hit the ball harder and further. Heck, they even increased his shoe and head size. Comparing greenies and steroids is like comparing apples and oranges.

Focus/energy v. brute strength.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Okay, I'll take the bait. There are significant differences between yesteryear's greenies, and today's performance enhancers. For brevity's sake, I'll highlight the two main ones.

First, greenies were legal. They were methamphetamines, which were readily available in stores and over-the-counter at the time. Methamphetamines were in diet pills, pills truck drivers took for energy, focus, and to stay awake, etc.

Mantle taking a greenie probably had the same effect as if he had drank a few cups of coffee before a game. Would you argue that gaining focus and energy through drinking 4 cups of coffee constitutes an unfair performance enhancer?

Conversely, non-medically prescribed steroids were and are illegal. Thus, one (greenies - methamphetamine pills) were legal at the time the players used them, whereas the other (steroids) were not.

Secondly, the performance enhancement level is not even questionable. Mantle basically took energy pills that were essentially the equivalent of drinking a few cups of coffee, whereas Bonds took steroids that caused him to hit the ball harder and further. Heck, they even increased his shoe and head size. Comparing greenies and steroids is like comparing apples and oranges.

Focus/energy v. brute strength.
Just to the bold part. That is so ridiculously unbelievable it is like saying heroin is the same as taking a couple aspirin for pain. If you don't believe me try your silly 4 cups of coffee and then do a nice half gram line of meth and tell me how similar they are.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

People will seek a competitive advantage if they are liable to get away with it, by and large. People will generally lie, cheat, steal and do far worse if they believe the act is 1) to their gain and 2) they won't get caught. However, that does not excuse any misdeed because people in another time would have probably also done it if that route was available.

These arguments ignore that Pud Galvin and Babe Ruth gained nothing by weird experiments that were legal and not against the rules. Mickey Mantle did not turn the game into a mockery video game by having a greenie that did not violate the rules. The titanic gap between an energy stimulant and the result of steroids is incredibly obvious. I am very sympathetic to the early steroiders who were not violating baseball's rules at the time of their use, but I do not see any logical or reasonable comparison between Galvin and Bonds.

Would many members heroes have probably done the same thing if they had been able to and had access? Yeah, surely. Did they? No they didn't. A person is responsible for their actual actions, that people are generally of poor moral character and would do the same things if they didn't expect to be caught is not a defense. The steroid users are not special villains, but they are also the ones who actually did violate the rules and actually did turn the game into a video game joke.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
People will seek a competitive advantage if they are liable to get away with it, by and large. People will generally lie, cheat, steal and do far worse if they believe the act is 1) to their gain and 2) they won't get caught. However, that does not excuse any misdeed because people in another time would have probably also done it if that route was available.

These arguments ignore that Pud Galvin and Babe Ruth gained nothing by weird experiments that were legal and not against the rules. Mickey Mantle did not turn the game into a mockery video game by having a greenie that did not violate the rules. The titanic gap between an energy stimulant and the result of steroids is incredibly obvious. I am very sympathetic to the early steroiders who were not violating baseball's rules at the time of their use, but I do not see any logical or reasonable comparison between Galvin and Bonds.

Would many members heroes have probably done the same thing if they had been able to and had access? Yeah, surely. Did they? No they didn't. A person is responsible for their actual actions, that people are generally of poor moral character and would do the same things if they didn't expect to be caught is not a defense. The steroid users are not special villains, but they are also the ones who actually did violate the rules and actually did turn the game into a video game joke.
I am pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen someone say Ruth and Mantle did not put up video game numbers.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I am pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen someone say Ruth and Mantle did not put up video game numbers.
I'd love to be educated on where I said Ruth didn't put up video game numbers (If you read, you would see I said he gained nothing by these weird experiments, which is indisputably true) and how Mantle put up video game stats.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:07 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
I'll note that the folks who are indignant about this topic often come from
the "everybody does it" crowd. JustinD above tells us he doesn't care, while
using words like "self-righteous" and phrases about "tarnish(ing) the silver
claret". Seems he very, very much cares...
I never said I agreed with the premise of cheating, I disagree with the idea of an "era". The East German Olympic Teams of the 60's and 70's more than proved that those drugs were more than placebos. The German's had a full program in place. I disagree with ignoring all other issues for a focus only on one era when innumerable players who took shortcuts are idolized.

The agreements about mass are silly as steroids were more likely used for their true use much like Armstrong did in his career. Without weight training, there is no gains in mass. What the key use of steroids and HGH is concerns healing factor and speed of that. You can gain mass due to pushing your body to the limit and the healing of those muscles without the natural time for rest. If your naturally overwork muscles without the healing time, they will actually shrink in mass with the tightening of the fibers. The healing factor is precisely why pitchers and others are caught post-injury using these to heal, not grow mass.

If the training was not involved as much like Sparky Anderson would discourage and get upset with over muscled players as the leading belief was it would slow them down. Players would have been using it for recovery factor. Comparing size of players, is not a valid argument.

As for Greenies being less so important, many players have written and discussed how amphetamines would slow the game. Making hitting the ball an easier task. When the comparison was made that Focus/energy v. brute strength is somehow a defense of greenies is somewhat odd. Anyone would take focus and energy over brute strength as it would make a better ball player. WWE wrestlers are not going to hit a ball better because they are stronger.

We can completely ignore Tom House talking about how common steroids were in baseball during the 60's and 70's. You can ignore completely the oddity of Aaron and how somehow his entire 73' team leapt in hitting strength and HRs. Or how he led the National League in home run percentage in three consecutive years late in his career at ages 37, 38 and 39. I am sure it was happenstance as it happens all the time.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Or how he led the National League in home run percentage in three consecutive years late in his career at ages 37, 38 and 39. I am sure it was happenstance as it happens all the time.
We don't think this has to do with a ballpark built for Aaron to hit as many homers as possible?

The source for Aaron's greenies is his own autobiography where he said he tried them once in 1968, felt like it was going to give him a heart attack, and it was "a stupid thing to do." The book was published long before the steroid scandal and anyone cared.

Does anyone have 1) evidence greenies produce more home runs and, 2) that Aaron was a consistent and regular user of them during his Atlanta years? I'd love to see this evidence used to make the claims, as I'm not familiar with it.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
We don't think this has to do with a ballpark built for Aaron to hit as many homers as possible?

The source for Aaron's greenies is his own autobiography where he said he tried them once in 1968, felt like it was going to give him a heart attack, and it was "a stupid thing to do." The book was published long before the steroid scandal and anyone cared.

Does anyone have 1) evidence greenies produce more home runs and, 2) that Aaron was a consistent and regular user of them during his Atlanta years? I'd love to see this evidence used to make the claims, as I'm not familiar with it.
https://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_na...in_hank_a.html

Old 12-13-2023, 01:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Evans and Johnson had freakish HR years in 73 as well. The park was the same the other years they played in Atlanta. Who knows. Tom House, maybe.

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news...n-was-juicing/

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:

There is no way to have evidence.

As far as the mostly BS confessions PED users make for their use, they are hilariously fantasy land. As an example older bodybuilders like Arnold have pretty much all admitted to their PED use. They all also admit to a dose that is so small it is literally the same as a current TRT dose. It's like asking the drunk driver how many drinks he has had and expecting a honest answer.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-13-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

On a tangent, one of the greatest moments in sports history IMO was when Shirley Babashoff and the US 4x100 relay team beat Kornelia Ender and the East German PED team.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Did you read this? There is not a single shred of evidence provided at all, purely speculation.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
There is no way to have evidence.

As far as the mostly BS confessions PED users make for their use, they are hilariously fantasy land. As an example older bodybuilders like Arnold have pretty much all admitted to their PED use. They all also admit to a dose that is so small it is literally the same as a current TRT dose. It's like asking the drunk driver how many drinks he has had and expecting a honest answer.
The first statement is untrue. It is, very very obviously, possible to have evidence.

People lie. That does not mean any statement you don't like is a lie. A rational person would use evidence. You're drunk driver would be shown wrong by evidence, not an assumption he is lying (many people truly have had 0 drinks when asked by a cop if they have been drinking during a stop) because that is what you want the case to be.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Did you read this? There is not a single shred of evidence provided at all, purely speculation.
Yes, not suggesting it proves anything, all these retrospective statistical analyses are by definition speculation, but it's interesting.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:45 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

If you have some time, I would read "Your Brain on Cubs: Inside the Heads of Players and Fans". It has some great discussions relating baseball to neurology. It uses Cubs fans as a discussion point of fandom. They have some interesting information as to these substances and baseball.

On Greenies - "Amphetamines produce little or no enhancement in reaction time but significantly reduce the effect of fatigue on a person’s ability to track a moving object such as a ball. Dextroamphetamine, an amphetamine variant this is popular as a recreational drug, improves decision-making and reduces impulsivity in healthy human beings, which would be an effective enhancement for batters that tended to swing at balls outside of the strike zone.”

This was the how and why so many used them to slow the game. My personal favorite description of greenies was used by Doc Ellis, an avid user of just about everything, in "No No, A Dockumentary". If you have not seen it yet, I would reccomend. It is fantastic.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
If you have some time, I would read "Your Brain on Cubs: Inside the Heads of Players and Fans". It has some great discussions relating baseball to neurology. It uses Cubs fans as a discussion point of fandom. They have some interesting information as to these substances and baseball.

On Greenies - "Amphetamines produce little or no enhancement in reaction time but significantly reduce the effect of fatigue on a person’s ability to track a moving object such as a ball. Dextroamphetamine, an amphetamine variant this is popular as a recreational drug, improves decision-making and reduces impulsivity in healthy human beings, which would be an effective enhancement for batters that tended to swing at balls outside of the strike zone.”

This was the how and why so many used them to slow the game. My personal favorite description of greenies was used by Doc Ellis, an avid user of just about everything, in "No No, A Dockumentary". If you have not seen it yet, I would reccomend. It is fantastic.
I'd not be surprised if there was some small positive impact on home run totals; energy stimulants may well produce a gain here. I've never seen any evidence at all or any real attempt at a statistical analysis, merely quoted opinions like this. But it would not be surprising.

The unanswered second question, logically necessary to make Aaron guilty of anything, is of course impossible to answer as there is no evidence whatsoever beyond the fact that some people want him to be guilty so that it can justify the desired perspective that the big stars of all eras are guilty.

There's another big difference between the previous past eras and the steroid era. Even simply ignoring the falsehood that any attempt to gain performance is the same whether or not it violates the rules and whether or not it works - is that one of them works on a logical and evidentiary basis and the other is not evidentiary. We have mountains of evidence against Bonds, and pure speculation that simply suits some folks narratives on Aaron. These are not the same.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:03 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I don't think this story actually happened after checking for it. There are zero mentions of it in Pittsburgh at any point before someone dug up the footnote, though there are jokes about it during that era, just like there are fountain of youth jokes when an old player did well. There were no experiments in Pittsburgh on that date. It was basically huge news everywhere at the same time that he had a great game, so I think it was a comical connection. When there were experiments done, they named the people in it and shared the results. August 13th for instance was done in Philadelphia, where they were also at the previous day.
Galvin openly admitted he used Brown-Séquard elixir. It most likely had zero effect even though his win the next day was hailed as proof of how amazing it was by the Washington Post. If it worked though is not really important, a failed bank robbery is still a bank robbery. So he is the first admitted PED user in baseball.

There is much written about Brown-Séquard in the National Library of Medicine and other documents. It was very well known at the time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3474613/

https://www.historytoday.com/hormone...and-eccentrics

Old 12-13-2023, 02:13 PM

JustinD- in a previous thread on this very topic, maybe 2 years ago, I
stated that using Aaron as an example of (totally unproven) sneaky
PED use, is a non-starter. Nothing has changed, he is a BAD choice by
anyone who carries a torch for modern day players who clearly abused...

Aaron was a model of consistency throughout his career of 22 full seasons.
He averaged 34ish HR and 104ish RBI per season and was steady in batting
average. It wasn't until his last 3 seasons (74,75, partial 76) that we see a
clear decline in production consistent with ageing. I cannot overstate
that anyone who uses Aaron as an example of "you can't tell me
HIS production wasn't buoyed by PEDs" is barking up the wrong tree. There
is zero basis for such a claim, it is utter fantasy.

My guess is you either grew up watching the true PED wonks crush the ball
all over the place, either admiring them or enjoying the spectacle, and were
possibly a fan of their team. Years later, you learned it was a sham. That's
a bummer, you feel cheated- it was a waste of rooting time. Sadly, all of
that is true. The answer, however, isn't to slash and burn anyone who came
before in an effort to exonerate "your" player or fandom. If you- or someone
with similar feelings- simply assume "everybody was doing it", why even
bother to collect, or enjoy the sport? The entire line of thought seems
destructive and, unless someone conducts the most successful seance in the
history of the field and compels these players to "confess from beyond the
grave", is little more than impotent speculation. Pud Galvin and (insert PED
abuser here) didn't do similar things and surely didn't enjoy similar results.

Trent King
Old 12-13-2023, 02:18 PM
Charles Jackson

I posted this in the watercooler section a couple of weeks ago, but thought I'd post it here to:

I am not sure the PED/'roids guys deserve to be in the Hall, but to some extent they are a victim of their own success.

PEDs can be traced all the way back to 1889, when Pud Galvin used Brown-Sequard Elixir, which is testosterone derived from other animals, most notably dogs and guinea pigs. Even Babe Ruth tried to inject himself with extract from sheep testicles in 1925. This act only made him ill and forced him to miss some playing time. So cheaters have gotten more sophisticated and better at it over time.

Steroids found there way into baseball in the 1970s. Tom House, a former pitcher for a few teams, was the first player to openly acknowledge that there were 6 or 7 players per team experimenting with steroids and human-growth hormone. Steroids then took a backseat during the 1980s when amphetamines became the drug of choice. Players from Mike Schmidt to journeyman Dale Berra, were using amphetamines.

MLB practically sanctioned the use of steroids with their lack of any testing/enforcement. In 1990, Congress cracked down on anabolic steroids with the Anabolic Steroids Control Act, which effectively made them an illegal drug. The next year in 1991, MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent made it clear in a memo that it was against the rules to use steroids, but there was no plan for testing/enforcement.

If players like McGwire, Sosa and Bonds hadn't completely re-written the record books, few people would care about their "cheating."

So cheating has been around forever. They just got really good at during the steroid era.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm slow and dumb, but I still don't understand how something is cheating if the action committed was not against the rules at the time the action was done.

It's not cheating to throw a spitball in 1905. It is cheating to throw it in 1995, because the rules changed. Being in violation of the rules seems to be a prerequisite to cheating.

What am I missing here?
Old 12-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm slow and dumb, but I still don't understand how something is cheating if the action committed was not against the rules at the time the action was done.

It's not cheating to throw a spitball in 1905. It is cheating to throw it in 1995, because the rules changed. Being in violation of the rules seems to be a prerequisite to cheating.

What am I missing here?
Do people really object to the cheating, or is the performance enhancing? Nobody is bitching about Gaylord being in the Hall, or Whitey Ford who scuffed baseballs constantly, and so on and so on. And greenies, even if not prohibited by baseball rules, were prescription drugs and surely these guys did not have prescriptions, so taking them was illegal.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:

What am I missing here?
Point taken. I should used the phrase "trying to gain a competitive advantage through PEDs that were later deemed illegal" instead of outright cheating.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 12-13-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
JustinD- in a previous thread on this very topic, maybe 2 years ago, I
stated that using Aaron as an example of (totally unproven) sneaky
PED use, is a non-starter. Nothing has changed, he is a BAD choice by
anyone who carries a torch for modern day players who clearly abused...

Aaron was a model of consistency throughout his career of 22 full seasons.
He averaged 34ish HR and 104ish RBI per season and was steady in batting
average. It wasn't until his last 3 seasons (74,75, partial 76) that we see a
clear decline in production consistent with ageing. I cannot overstate
that anyone who uses Aaron as an example of "you can't tell me
HIS production wasn't buoyed by PEDs" is barking up the wrong tree. There
is zero basis for such a claim, it is utter fantasy.

Trent King
I am NOT accusing him, but people who question him use that very consistency as the basis for their argument -- he should have had an earlier, age-related dropoff than he did.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:38 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
JustinD-

Trent King
I think you are insinuating a bit much.

At my age, my heroes are late 70's and 80's. As steroids were officially banned in 91', I could do the same and state they are all above it because it was legal under the rules. Thank you for making me 20 years younger though.

I also am not stating Aaron was a PED user, but again not vehemently not saying that. I admit I don't know. What I do know is that items were available, some players have stated that use was there in the 60's and 70's. So there is no specifics.

As I do not have the ability to somehow uncover information held secret by dead people, I cannot say yes or no.

The difference is you are speaking in your believed facts, I am comfortable in speaking in probabilities.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Do people really object to the cheating, or is the performance enhancing? Nobody is bitching about Gaylord being in the Hall, or Whitey Ford who scuffed baseballs constantly, and so on and so on. And greenies, even if not prohibited by baseball rules, were prescription drugs and surely these guys did not have prescriptions, so taking them was illegal.
It's neither. Galvin possibly taking some miracle BS is factually not cheating as there was no rule against this and is also factually not performance enhancing; it's an illogical narrative that just suits what people want to find and has been latched onto the last decade because of this. There's nothing to object to if either of those options were the cause of the objection. Both claims are demonstrably false.

Personally I would draw a consistent line at actual cheating, i.e. breaking the actual rules of baseball, requiring specific evidence. Galvin, Ruth, and the fabrication about Aaron did not break the rules. Neither did McGwire's andro at the time he used it. This just seems like the basic common sense, and thus unpopular as it doesn't suit either narrative (as it does not punish the old timers that factually did not cheat but also excuses some of the steroid generation that also did not violate the rules), line. For the cheating to result in severe punishment like a ban or keeping out of the Hall, the cheating should be severe and endemic. I would thus not ban Whitey Ford from the hall for his late career spitters, but if caught he should have been suspended and slapped for it. Gaylord and those around him have made such disparate claims at different times about how much he actually cheated vs. created a mystique is something I'm not versed enough in to judge right now.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:02 PM

JustinD-

1) You would have been in "prime fandom time" in the late 90s when this
PED issue really mushroomed. So, you are in the thick of it agewise. I am
too, I just didn't go all in on it..

2) What was it you said? You're comfortable dealing in probabilities? Nice word
salad... and I'm dealing in "believed" facts? Nah, just facts. Nice try...

3) You have toned down the "tarnishing the silver claret" nonsense, at least.
Good call...

Trent King
Old 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

You remember Bobby Higginson? Have that be your star player and tell me you were "prime fandom time".

Old 12-13-2023, 03:35 PM
Matt G

Nothing substantial to add here except that I am trying to work on the connection between Pud Galvin and my family (the Galvins)

Apparently he grew up in the Kerry patch in St. Louis. My family immigrated over from Ireland in 1904 and I had a few great great uncles already residing in the Kerry patch well before that.

So who knows!

The man had a poor legacy outside of his baseball prowess, that is shadowed by PED use.

Still proud to be a Galvin though! We also ran all the speakeasy’s during prohibition, call us the Irish Mafia!

Matt Galvin

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 12-13-2023, 04:18 PM
Javan

Glad this thread generated some actual discussion other than “how much more will all my cards be worth in 2024.”

I actually posted the article half jokingly. The guy was just trying the latest craze. There were so many products back then claiming to be the elixir of life, and especially in an era where you didn’t have to prove any claims whatsoever, there were surely suckers born every minute buying into the claims.

Ultimately I’d agree with those who basically stated the simple premise:
If the rules state one thing and you do another , it’s breaking the rules and therefore cheating. If it’s not in the rules, knock yourself out. And thus, the great testicular fluid experiment. 🙂
Old 12-13-2023, 04:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
Every thread needs a card
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dock Ellis.jpg (130.2 KB, 166 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-13-2023, 05:19 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

What's more interesting about Galvin is the fact that he's known now still by the "Pud" nickname, which was almost never used in print before he was elected to the Hall of Fame and a bio was shared in all of the papers that used that nickname. Most people like the nickname for the obvious wrong pronunciation (it rhymes with Good not Dud), so of course it has stuck. It shouldn't be anything more than a footnote to his life, definitely not how he is known now. He would likely be shocked it's how he is known now if you could give him an elixir of life for a day.
Learned something new. Thank you for this tidbit. Not how I’ve been pronouncing Pud in my head all these years. Similar to Kiki Cuyler, where it rhymes with bye-bye, not tee hee. I assume short for pudding?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesofthegame View Post
Glad this thread generated some actual discussion other than “how much more will all my cards be worth in 2024.”

I actually posted the article half jokingly. The guy was just trying the latest craze. There were so many products back then claiming to be the elixir of life, and especially in an era where you didn’t have to prove any claims whatsoever, there were surely suckers born every minute buying into the claims.

Ultimately I’d agree with those who basically stated the simple premise:
If the rules state one thing and you do another , it’s breaking the rules and therefore cheating. If it’s not in the rules, knock yourself out. And thus, the great testicular fluid experiment. ��
There continue to be many such products and services with essentially no science backing them and based entirely on anecdotal testimonials or outright deception.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I can say for sure that greenies don't improve performance much at all.

I was prescribed them for ADD, and one dosage was literally green capsules.

If a pro player was having trouble concentrating, then yes it might help with that. I've been to the batting cage both with and without and did not gain any advantage whatsoever. Neither in power, or quickness.

There is an element of things where natural adrenalin during stressful events can give a lot of improvement. But it's somewhat short lived. Many of the old PED things like sheep testoserone have been proven ineffective and occasionally dangerous.

The modern stuff and actual steroids like Alzado had allow more than day on/day off training, and that does increase power and maybe quickness as a side benefit.

So yes, there is a difference between old schemes and newer ones.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Just to the bold part. That is so ridiculously unbelievable it is like saying heroin is the same as taking a couple aspirin for pain. If you don't believe me try your silly 4 cups of coffee and then do a nice half gram line of meth and tell me how similar they are.
Meth and amphetamines are different.
Adderall is d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine salts in the ratio of 3:1.
It does nothing much to enhance performance of any kind.
At the dose that works for me, it's literally green capsules.

On personal experience, 4 cups of coffee? No. * cups of coffee? Yes.
That's how many cups I usually drank early in the work day before ADD meds.