NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2022, 11:28 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Default Burbank Card Show...

Heading there tomorrow. It'll be my sons first card show, and the first one I've been to since I was his age (11yo). All the National talk got me wanting to check out the seen. Wondered if any members could speak to how this show is? Hoping for some Vintage (t2o6). We'll post if we come up on anything.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:27 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Already a thread on this show...was hoping to get some feedback as well as I want to go but just got back from 3 good shows in a week in Detroit and don't want to do the 4-5 hour roundtrip for nada.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:40 AM
Doug Goodman

I'm glad you posted, I had no idea it was happening, but now I'll be going, too.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:32 AM
P.aul Orl,in

The day passes are sold out (per the website)!! I would have to buy a 3-day pass just to attend this afternoon. Is it any good?
Old 08-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Rick

I'm not a vintage card collector (most of my stuff is post WWII), so hopefully some vintage guys attended and can provide you with more info.
I was there yesterday. You can probably buy tickets at the door for $20, versus $15 on the website. Parking is $10. Show was packed, but looked to be almost 99% newer shiny stuff, mostly graded. Just a couple of sellers had anything vintage out. Zero memorabilia, strictly cards. I was hoping to find some Dodger regional stuff, cards or otherwise, since we never have shows here in LA anymore, but saw only one dealer with a couple of Bell Brand cards. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

Rick
Old 08-27-2022, 05:11 PM
A.J. Johnson

Went today and the show was packed. Line around the building to get in from the time it opened at 10am until I left at 1:00pm. Mostly new stuff but did find quite a few dealers with vintage in the cases. I purchased a 48 Leaf Joe Louis and 2019 Bowman Julio Rodriguez. Highly recommend if you live close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948LeafJoeLouispsa3front.jpg (183.9 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg 2019BowmanDraftRodriguezpsa10front.jpg (191.1 KB, 623 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 08-28-2022 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:29 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I'm not a vintage card collector (most of my stuff is post WWII), so hopefully some vintage guys attended and can provide you with more info.
I was there yesterday. You can probably buy tickets at the door for $20, versus $15 on the website. Parking is $10. Show was packed, but looked to be almost 99% newer shiny stuff, mostly graded. Just a couple of sellers had anything vintage out. Zero memorabilia, strictly cards. I was hoping to find some Dodger regional stuff, cards or otherwise, since we never have shows here in LA anymore, but saw only one dealer with a couple of Bell Brand cards. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

Rick
Thank you Rick.

I drove over at 11 am, saw the line and came home, planning to go back around now, but seeing your post (no memorabilia, nearly no old Dodger stuff) made me change my mind.

Parking was free today, by the way.

Doug
Old 08-27-2022, 05:56 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Thank you Rick.

I drove over at 11 am, saw the line and came home, planning to go back around now, but seeing your post (no memorabilia, nearly no old Dodger stuff) made me change my mind.

Parking was free today, by the way.

Doug
Funny about the parking Doug. When I arrived yesterday, gates were up, and I thought great, free parking. Went to leave, gates were down, and the guy wants $10 for "event parking" to let me out. I'm arguing there were no signs posted, gates were up, and he's saying he just got there or he would have been collecting earlier. I was going to ask to see the manager, but wanted to get back before traffic got too ugly. I hate paying for parking (just ask my wife).
Old 08-27-2022, 06:02 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Struck out today. Being a t2o6 guy, and steering my son towards vintage cards, the pickings were a bit slim. The demand for new stuff is impressive, but I see the potential for all that stuff to fall off a cliff real fast. New grading service TAG was setup showing their services to come...looked and sounded very impressive. All in all, fun day with the boy. Would look for shows specializing in prewar next go around.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I went today, it was packed. Like a National on Saturday. Waited 45 minutes to get it at opening, and then covered the show in 15 minutes. Adam Warshaw had a table of vintage but other than that it was virtually all shiny new stuff, with a vintage card in the case here and there. They could've used twice the amount of space, hopefully they have another soon. Great to see the crowds regardless of inventory and pleased to see a lot of kids.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:31 AM

I'm glad to see the comments about attendance. Maybe show with that kind of attendance will bring the national back to the West Coast - wouldn't that be sweet.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The VIP evening was very lively; as full as a typical Saturday used to be at a good local show. The promoter told me that with the size of the crowds he was concerned about being limited by the fire marshal; he said that a few days ago his nightmare was that no one would show up.

98% of the show is post-2000 cards. Everyone has those big gun cases with the custom foam dividers. There was even a dealer set up to sell them. Lots of bashed knees and shins.

Lots of basketball, which surprises me. I still think of it as a backwater but it is really big with the kids these days.

Speaking of kids, I had a really nice interaction with some kids who were everything you want from the next generation of collectors: smart, sharp, polite. One of them pulled a 1947 Bond Bread Pafko and was just thrilled to pick it up for five bucks. Another wanted two pretty expensive (for kids) cards, a Bird and a Jeter, but didn't have the money. He looked at me very seriously and said "I am going to put back the Bird, sir." I then let him negotiate me down to his price. Left my table smiling ear to ear. Perfect.

I had by far the largest vintage card selection in the room, and by "vintage" I mean anything issued before 2000. Some of the vintage collectors were so desperate to buy something that they ended up impulse-buying stuff they were not familiar with, just because it was older than a high school kid. There were some pretty funny comments. One Millennial got so excited to see 1990s cards that he said excitedly "wow, you have the old stuff! They don't make them like this anymore!" That a George Brett is a golden oldie makes me feel like one too. One guy cleaned me out of EX 2000 baseball, another guy cleaned out my 1991 Kayo and 2011 Ringside boxing. I sold only one 'good' vintage baseball card, a Jackie Robinson Exhibit.

The newbs are eager to learn about old cards, though. I was identifying cards from all sports for customers all day long. I even sold a giant stack of VCBC and Old Cardboard magazines. I'm not joking: Bill Cornell saw the guy buy the whole stack from me.

The place was a zoo on Saturday; 1991 Anaheim National caliber crowds. I got there at 9:30 for set-up (didn't realize the VIP admit was then; horrible schedule communications from the promoter) and the line was already around the corner of the building and parking was getting full. The fire marshal was directing admission starting pretty early in the day and there were admission waiting lines nearly all day long (even as late as 2:00). My daughter had to argue her way back inside despite having a dealer pass and our lunch with her.

What did not move are the expensive cards. Tons of interest in the very rare ones I had but no takers.

Had some good walk-ins. I picked up a stack of Exhibits for resale incl. Mantle, Aaron and Musial, and a lot of Brooklyn and LA Dodgers photos ranging from 1949 into the early 1960s. There is a really fun 1956 World Series piece, a nice shot of Ebbetts Field, and a team photo in the Coliseum that has to be a '58 because it has Don Newcombe. Plus some nice action photos. i will scan and post some eventually.

The demography of the show was absolutely fascinating. There are large contingents of Latino and Asian collectors as well as more Black collectors than ever before. Also about 5% women collectors (not just boyfriend tag-alongs, though there were some of them too). I would say the show was majority-minority (to steal a phrase) As a result, basketball and soccer were much bigger areas of interest with the modern crowd. Basketball especially. I also got a lot of boxing interest due to the ethnic fighters, the Mexicans especially. People went nuts all day over some expensive Canelo Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez cards I had; no actual sales but lots of oohs and aahs. A lot of interest in non-sports. Must've been asked 20 times for Star Wars and Disney, and several times for Pokemon. None of which i have. No interest in Star Trek, though, which I had. Actually, that's not true. No one asked for them but I did sell two sets of early Skybox TOS commons that I found lying around my office.

One thing I find new in this era is the way people take pictures of cards in showcases. Must've happened 30-40 times this week. Always with permission, so not an obnoxious thing at all. I finally asked one guy why and he said that he likes to use the images as reference tools. Another guy said he likes to make videos for his social media of all the things he saw. He said my Canelo Alvarez signed RC would be the last image for his video. I also met one of Canelo's former sparring partners.

I got a lot of requests for vintage basketball. Had I brought out my basketball collection I am certain I would have done very well because the offerings in the room older than 2000 were infrequent and the cards were grotesquely overpriced. I'm talking 3x-4x market. Very heavy Lakers Nation presence; I was asked repeatedly for Chamberlain, Jabbar and Globetrotters cards. I put out my 1986 Merchante Magic Johnson card and had lots of lookie-loos but no buyers.

Vintage soccer was all but MIA. I collect Pele cards so I was looking. The only vintage soccer I saw in the room was a 1962 Pele from Germany ticketed at 4x market. The German soccer dealers next to me didn't have anything pre-2000, even though Germany has one of the best post-war histories of soccer cards, including some great Pele cards.

Thing is, modern is a gateway to vintage, as has always been the case. I saw a pair of guys happy as can be over a 1954 Aaron and a 1958 Jim Brown they'd picked up. They tried to do the bro-hug (hand shake and shoulder bump) but they were so fat that they bounced off each other like sumo wrestlers in an epic awkward fail.

Did I mention fat? I used to think that I had to travel to the midwest to see fat like that but damn, have we all gotten fat. Half the aisle congestion was giant fat-asses with massive guts waddling awkwardly around each other.

One thing with the shiny stuff is apparent when you watch it closely: it is a lot of circular movement. The money is changing hands between dealers and wanna-be dealers, and there is lots of trading of one pile of shiny stuff for another. Little actual collecting. More penny stock trading.

It was exhausting working a show again but I had so much fun.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-29-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:05 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

I was there, too. It was mobbed.

Kind of inexplicable that John Broggi and the Berkuses assured us for years --since 2006 in Anaheim--that they couldn't have a National west of the Mississippi because (ready?): no dealers will go to the West Coast and venues won't book years in advance and Vegas isn't a sports town and whatever other ridiculous excuses popped into their heads.

Those guys had just one reason: they liked free venues. Turns out that not many venues felt the same.

Glittering example of Broggi nonsense here: https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...ls-john-broggi

Edited to add: only show with higher attendance than this year in AC? Anaheim in 1991. When you can't break an attendance record that's stood for 31 years, maybe it's time to have another National there.

Last edited by bcornell; 08-28-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree. There was so much interest in this show that it could easily be expanded to a 500 table show and be put into a major convention center (Long Beach, Los Angeles, etc.). Maybe a West Coast National, if the National won't venture west of the Mississippi.

Or not...
Old 08-29-2022, 12:09 AM
Phil

I went Saturday morning with a friend hoping to upgrade sets, but instead what I did see were lots of newer cards in slabs. There were some vintage cards, but I felt as if the show catered more to investors than collectors.

On the other hand, it was nice to see the response and hopefully, this will lead to bigger shows in the near future with more dealers selling vintage non-slabbed singles. Sorry, I had to throw that in.

Phil aka Tere1071

Upgrading the following sets: 1953 Bowman Color and Topps Baseball card sets for 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1975.

Attempting to complete the 1970 and 1973 Topps Baseball card sets in very good to excellent condition overall.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:15 PM

I wasn't at the Burbank show, but that's the way most, if not all shows are now days. Lots of shiny stuff in slabs.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I wasn't at the Burbank show, but that's the way most, if not all shows are now days. Lots of shiny stuff in slabs.
+1 Same with Dallas Card Show. 500-600 tables and maybe 10-15 with any vintage (pre war)....

Last edited by Leon; 08-30-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1 Same with Dallas Card Show. 500-600 tables and maybe 10-15 with any vintage (pre war)....
That's amazing, so little vintage at such a big show. BUT...happy to see the hobby passing down to a new generation, and why shouldn't they have their own cards of their own heroes? I do, however, remember the first generation of "Becketteers" in the mid 90s who would drag a chair near a trash can so they could riffle through new foil packs faster than your eye could follow, picking out inserts, refractors, etc., and leaving piles of cards they had no use for filling the cans and on the floor. That blew my mind, throwing away all those cards, but they were smart, entrepreneurial kids cashing in on a craze, and it looks to me like much the same going on today. That was almost 30 years ago, I wonder how many of those "kids" have any involvement in the hobby and what has happened to their generation of cards?
Old 08-30-2022, 10:47 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That's amazing, so little vintage at such a big show. BUT...happy to see the hobby passing down to a new generation, and why shouldn't they have their own cards of their own heroes? I do, however, remember the first generation of "Becketteers" in the mid 90s who would drag a chair near a trash can so they could riffle through new foil packs faster than your eye could follow, picking out inserts, refractors, etc., and leaving piles of cards they had no use for filling the cans and on the floor. That blew my mind, throwing away all those cards, but they were smart, entrepreneurial kids cashing in on a craze, and it looks to me like much the same going on today. That was almost 30 years ago, I wonder how many of those "kids" have any involvement in the hobby and what has happened to their generation of cards?
To each their own, but I can't say it seems that those kids with the slabbed cards lunchbox and I even are participating in the same hobby :-)
Old 08-30-2022, 12:05 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
To each their own, but I can't say it seems that those kids with the slabbed cards lunchbox and I even are participating in the same hobby :-)
Exactly how I felt 30 years ago. What became of them and their hobby, and what will become of today's shiny collectors/flippers and their?
Old 08-31-2022, 07:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Same as happened to us: they get older and more experienced and move to vintage cards. Then after about 20 years they get nostalgic for their shiny cards and buy them back for a small % of what they were worth in the day. Like me paying a buck for a 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas, or busting a 1981 Fleer wax box at under two bucks a pack (pre-surge prices).

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-31-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:21 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Speaking of kids, I had a really nice interaction with some kids who were everything you want from the next generation of collectors: smart, sharp, polite. One of them pulled a 1947 Bond Bread Pafko and was just thrilled to pick it up for five bucks. Another wanted two pretty expensive (for kids) cards, a Bird and a Jeter, but didn't have the money. He looked at me very seriously and said "I am going to put back the Bird, sir." I then let him negotiate me down to his price. Left my table smiling ear to ear. Perfect.
That's awesome you did that, thank you!
Old 08-31-2022, 04:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just paying back the dealers who must've done the same for me when I was that age.

Or not...
Old 09-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Just paying back the dealers who must've done the same for me when I was that age.
+1. Nice move. It's great to pay it forward and backward ...
Old 09-06-2022, 01:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I went Saturday morning with a friend hoping to upgrade sets, but instead what I did see were lots of newer cards in slabs. There were some vintage cards, but I felt as if the show catered more to investors than collectors.

On the other hand, it was nice to see the response and hopefully, this will lead to bigger shows in the near future with more dealers selling vintage non-slabbed singles. Sorry, I had to throw that in.

Phil aka Tere1071

Upgrading the following sets: 1953 Bowman Color and Topps Baseball card sets for 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1975.

Attempting to complete the 1970 and 1973 Topps Baseball card sets in very good to excellent condition overall.
I don't think there will be a lot of commons for sets at these shows; the real estate is just too costly. It cost $500 for a single 6' table and there was no space for a back-up table or even an easel (I had a great Hank Aaron poster that I couldn't display. We (dealers) were literally tripping all over each other all week long because the space between tables was the dead minimum that the fire marshal would allow. I had some older commons that I left home because I just didn't see how I could get them out there.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-06-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
+1. That's how I felt then and now.