NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default World Tobacco Index

Posted By: FatBoy

Searched the web to no avail.

An old collector friend's wife (he passed away several years ago) just called me and told me shes moving and getting stuff together for sending to an auction house.

Anyway, she found a couple copies of the Wrapper and some other old collecting related publications, stopping in tomorrow night to see whats there. She also mentioned she found 3 volumes of the World Tobacco Index. I've always wanted a set of these and told her I'd be very interested in them.

I'd like to give her a fair price for them and wondered if the set is complete at 3 volumes?

Thanks for any help, Keith

Old 06-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I think there are 5 volumes but I can't be for sure. I bought a copy of the volume with Old Judges from David Grimes for like $30 or so brand new. It was hardbacked. I would think $15-$20 per volume would be fair. I think they were like $150 or something new from the manufacturer over in England.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

they have links to the WTI. Note that the WTI is not like our books. They never revise the base edition, instead issuing updates in new volumes. So, it is never really complete.

The old books and periodicals are getting more love nowadays. Do a search on this site;there was a string recently that had the issue discussed.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

All I want is the N172 index and how they are cataloged. Is there a way to just get this information?

Old 06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

Abebooks.com has 6 listings, two are for 3 volume groups/sets:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&ph=2&imageField.y=0&imageField.x=0&tn=World+tobacco+Index&cmid=hp-search-form&sts=t

Bookfinder.com has a few listings as well, but I believe the two listings for the 3 volume sets are the same as those listed with ABEbooks.com.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=World+tobacco+Index++&submit=Begin+Search&new_used=*&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

The 3 volumes sets will run you at least 200+

Regards,
Adam

Old 06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

Dennis Purdy wrote a great article about the World Index in VCBC #32. He listed the set complete at 5 volumes.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

There are indeed five volumes.... some have also been reprinted. I bought my run through the Cartophilic Society a number of years ago... if I remember, with the cost of joining, shipping, etc the set ran me around $250.

Jeff

Old 06-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Administrator

thanks everyone. i'll let everyone know what other literature is there too.

keith

Old 06-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Administrator

I've decided i don't want any of these books. Didn't want them being sent to auction where I knew they wouldn't bring anything or even be appreciated for that matter, so I told her I'd offer them here and just give her what someones willing to pay. I'll take best emailed offer by the end of the weekend (Sunday the 13th). In addition to the following books, there was a 1960 hardback edition of the ACC with dust jacket that I didn't take. If anyone is interested in that at a fair price, email me immediately and I'll be happy to call her before it gets loaded on to the auction trailer. No dust jackets on any of them, but some have inserts in them for other publications. Heres what is being offered:

1. The World Index part I, II, III. All hardback, all nice. Although there are many dates in these, best I can determine is they were printed in 1990. All in EX condition, look new to me.

2. "Cigarette Crads and How To Collect Them" by I. O. Evans.Herbert Jenkins Limited, 3 Duke of York Street, St. James's London S. W. Printed in Great Britain by Wyman & Sons, Ltd, London. 157 pages, all British issues and ATC issued abroad. VG-EX condition.

3. "British Cigarette Card Issues 1888-1919" Handbook part I (for use with catalogue of comparative values part 1). Compiled by C. L. Bagnall and E. C. Wharton-Tigar. Reproduced in 1980 by Lithography for The London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd. Looks new.

4. "British Cigarette Card Issues 1920-1940". Handbook part II. Sister book to above, looks new.

5. "America's Most Wanted Collectibles" July 95. "The Wrapper" Oct 1 - Nov 15 1994. Both these are paper hobby publications. Good reading.

Mrs Reuter will pay the shipping. 1 price for all is what I'm looking for. Keith