NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2024, 02:41 PM
Jeremy

The card is up again in their new action: https://memorylaneinc.com/site//bids...rities-auction
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-12-2024, 03:02 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
The card is up again in their new action: https://memorylaneinc.com/site//bids...rities-auction
Looks like they're using the same scan as last time.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 04-12-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Possibly carelessness, but in any case just plain wrong!

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 04-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Chase

Quote:

Probably not the best choice by the house but my take away from this is that if the scan of the Gehrig is so misleading what does that imply about the other scans for the other cards they auction? Not sure we would know if they are getting a lot of returns unless we compare prior auction sales to the current auction.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:30 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
After all of this, it's unbelievable they're using the same scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig.jpg (194.7 KB, 439 views)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:51 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Who runs Memory Lane these days?

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 04-12-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:09 PM
Matt

The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used settings designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:24 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used setting designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.
The description states creasing and wrinkles. Could be two, could be three, could be 10, could be only on the corners, could be across his face. All of that matters to us. Card image in the auction shows none. As shown by the two images above, it's clearly not that difficult to scan or take a picture of a card that clearly shows the creasing and wrinkles. Bad scanner, bad camera are nothing but excuses. We all want to see exactly what we are going to get.

And for them to relist the same card again, after all of this, is ridiculous.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 04-12-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:35 PM
Matt

In my own collecting experience, I've seen enough scans at various auctions of lower grade cards to know that a scan can more often than not fail to present the full picture. In reality, I would imagine an AH simply scans each lot and moves onto the next scan, rather than scanning a card and pausing to evaluate whether the scan adequately showcases all the card's flaws, and then re-scanning or adjusting settings to accomplish that. I'd therefore simply put some onus on myself as a shopper if I was interested in the item, and call or email the AH to ask for some more details or images.

So yes, it could be any range of creases or wrinkles and learning the precise degree of wear would matter a great deal; I'd choose direct communication with the AH about the lot as the best route to obtaining that information.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:48 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The description states creasing and wrinkles. I don't expect an AH with such a huge auction to make sure each and every scan used settings designed to fully convey each card's flaws. Especially for a lower end lot. Rather, if I saw a description of a PSA 1 that stated wrinkles and creasing-- knowing how 1s are graded and knowing how scans do not always show surface issues the way an angled camera photo does-- I would simply ask the AH about the card, perhaps request an additional image.
Ya, I'm with you here. Scans often hide creases. We all know that. It was the misleading, at best, description that I had the bigger issue with (although images showing the flaws should be the standard we hold all AHs to). But if I had purchased it with its current description which reads, "Moderate creasing with light wrinkles and soiling." in bold font, then I wouldn't have returned the card. That said, I also wouldn't have bid on it.

As a reminder, the previous description from when I won it read, "Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso."

I'll be curious to see what the hammer price is this time around. The one I won sold for $3763.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:29 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
After all of this, it's unbelievable they're using the same scan.
Sadly I expected this to happen. Bowing down to the dollar.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Well if it's perfectly alright not to disclose alterations, I don't see the problem. Why would it be held to a higher standard of disclosure? Plus, the description says it is creased even, exceeding the standard
Old 04-12-2024, 06:26 PM

Default Gehrig Goudey

FYI, I have just been informed by the Memory Lane office that a high-resolution scan will be posted to the website within the next 24 hours revealing the horizontal wrinkles.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
FYI, I have just been informed by the Memory Lane office that a high-resolution scan will be posted to the website within the next 24 hours revealing the horizontal wrinkles.
Great to hear! Thanks!