NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Where am I at now? Charting my progress through building a set

Newest pickups in post #31!

10/24 Update
I was traveling back home from a job site south of San Antonio this weekend, and I decided to stop in Waco at one of my favorite card shops. He had 2 of the 3 I needed to finish. That means I need 1 card. That's right 1 CARD!!!! So I'm really, really close to finishing. Then I'll either sell it as a whole or break it up and start working on a 1957 Topps set (I'm just getting started as I only have about 280 different thus far).

Original post:
Decided I wanted to chart (and show off) my progress into a 1958 Topps set. Decided to focus on this one since I was a lot closer to finishing than either my 1957 Topps or 1962 Topps sets (will work on those again once this mission is complete). Been working on this set about 6 weeks now.

By the way, I'm always looking for any needs if anyone has any extras to trade/sell. Got plenty of stuff to trade, including some extra 1958s.

Set goals: 1958 Topps in mid-grade (Vg-Ex to Ex to Ex-Mt)
Spent thus far: $1,356
Completion rate: 493/494 (99.8%)
Extras: Numberous, including Mathews AS, Presidents and Pinson RC
Creased/not usable: Almost 100

Set beginning:
Money spent: $0;
Cards acquired: My guess is probably close to 180 cards
(147 usable cards, tons of extras, tons creased I couldn't use)

Notes: Had been working at the LCS on Saturdays, and I bought a large lot of vintage they had for $400. It included about 150 different 1958s as well as some stuff from 1954 through the mid 1970s. I sold off all of the extra stars and lots of commons for more than $400 (probably about $800 all together), so broke even on the 58s, had a lot of extra to spend on other adventures and started the set with 150ish different by basically paying nothing.

7/17 Update:
Money spent: $175
Cards acquired: 39 cards
(37 usable, 1 extra, 1 creased that I couldn't use)

Notes: I went to the Dallas show and spent $175 between several dealers (also bought 2 Mantles from other years and other stuff too). Bought a bunch of HOFers from a guy named Roger Nufeldt (SP?) and a handful of commons from another seller. Got the Martin, Drysdale and Cepeda from yet a 3rd seller. Got everything pictured.

7/24 Update:
Money spent: $200;
Cards acquired: 140
(93 useable cards, 27 extras, 20 creased that I couldn't use)

Notes: Spent time yesterday at a small local show, and there was a vintage dealer there I hadn't seen before (Larry Duehly out of Houston if any of y'all know him). Spent a few hours going through a 1950s box and pulled out all the 1958s he had.

Went through them to figure out which I needed and even got a few extras. I wound up with 93 different commons I could use. Also got 27 that were dupes (I was trying to hurry and go through the numbers) and also got about 20 that I will throw away that were creased, etc. So added those 93 commons and the 3 HOFers shown to my set for $200. Will sell/trade off the extras, so that number could go down.

Really like Larry, enjoyed visiting with him and his prices are very good. Was a very good experience overall.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 10-30-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:13 PM
Bob Andrews

I've known Larry Dluhy since we both worked at the Houston Post back in the 70s. One of the hobby's good guys. He had a great store in SW Houston and promoted shows. He had some great guests at those shows, too.

The first cards I recall seeing were some '58s a kid down my block on Long Island had that summer. I started collecting the next year and the '58s and '59s have always had a place in my hobby memories. They were the first two sets I built when I came back to collecting a decade ago. They mean baseball to me. Wonderful cards.

Good luck with the chase. I've disposed of almost all my '58 dupes over the years and the ones I have left are mostly beaters so they wouldn't be of any use to you. Otherwise I'd have been glad to send them your way.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Emlily Ell.is

7/27 Update:
Money spent: $75;
Cards acquired: 12
(7 usable cards and 5 extras)

Notes: I forgot I had bought this lot from a seller on Facebook last week before going to my show. I then proceeded to pick up 5 of the cards I had bought on Facebook from the show. So I at least have more extras to add to my trade box. Plus, I didn't get any I could not use. All 3 of these are a little more off centered than I'm trying to get for the set (and more OC than other stars), so I may try and upgrade them after I finish building the set.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:43 AM

I love seeing these threads on sets, keep posting them up!!!
Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustomania View Post
I love seeing these threads on sets, keep posting them up!!!
Agreed...fun to follow along! Having recently put this set together it's pretty fresh so fun to see your progress. No high number premium is a nice break here for us set collectors...my last card was the Mantle/Aaron, looking forward to seeing what yours will be!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Al Richter

Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
That awesome Ed Mathews card is my favorite.

I also enjoy this type of thread.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

BTW...I would recommend getting one of the "Cards that Never Were" for your #145 spot, Ed Bouchee...helps with the OCD of either having a hole in your binder, or messing with your numerical order (I MUST have every bottom right corner number add up to 9...).

Also, I actually have some doubles from early lots and upgrades...most don't fit your condition requirements (I had the same) but these do...if there are any hits on your needs list let me know and I'll donate them to the cause -

Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 PM
Al Richter

Ed does show up on card #44

Old 07-27-2021, 12:39 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Clever Al...maybe I should have put another Senators team card in that spot...

Old 08-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Emlily Ell.is

8.6 Update:
Cards acquired: 8
(6 usable cards, 1 with a crease I can't use and 1 that is glossy and blank back)

Notes: After I started this thread, I had a nice user (Harliduck) message me saying he had a few extras he'd give me at no cost. Those came in the mail today. Very nice gesture by an awesome collector. So I added a few more, for nothing. THat's what collecting is about. Thank you Harliduck. By the way, I have no idea what the Bouchee is about. It's quite glossier than all the other cards and has a blank white back. I think it's some type of reprint that thrown in somehow, although I'm not really sure.

Last edited by wdwfan; 08-06-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:25 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
8.6 Update:
Cards acquired: 8
(6 usable cards, 1 with a crease I can't use and 1 that is glossy and blank back)

Notes: After I started this thread, I had a nice user (Harliduck) message me saying he had a few extras he'd give me at no cost. Those came in the mail today. Very nice gesture by an awesome collector. So I added a few more, for nothing. THat's what collecting is about. Thank you Harliduck. By the way, I have no idea what the Bouchee is about. It's quite glossier than all the other cards and has a blank white back. I think it's some type of reprint that thrown in somehow, although I'm not really sure.

Yeah Bouchee I think should've been in the set but wasn't for some reason so somebody made him.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2021, 05:38 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Thanks. Yes, I asked Harliduck, and he said Bouchee was pulled. So the set will forever have a hole at #145. But I can always replace it with the Bouchee (or just drop this set and do a different one that's complete! Thanks Topps). I'd never do that, but I know some people that would. Anyway, I guess I'll have 2 Bouchee's in the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Yeah Bouchee I think should've been in the set but wasn't for some reason so somebody made him.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2021, 06:02 PM
Emlily Ell.is

8/17 Update:
Money spent: $125;
Cards acquired: 65
(59 usable and 6 with creasing)

Notes: Did a couple of deals on Facebook that got me one of my biggest lots yet. They actually came in last week, but I just got around to getting them off the counter in the kitchen where our mail sits until we open it.

I got a large lot, but I ultimately had to put 6 into the not usable pile. I specifically asked both sellers if any had creases. Both sellers said their lots were crease free, but I found that not to be the case.

Anyway, I added 59 usable cards to my set and put 6 into my trash/donate/do whatever pile later on. I now have more than 40 cards in that lot as well as 27 in my "extras" pile that are trade candidates.

I'm not up to over 70 percent of the set, but I still have 1 big one (a Mantle) to go as well as several smaller $50-$75 type cards. I might go ahead and start putting them into a notebook this weekend. I am a notebook set collector. In other words, no graded and no toploaders. Strictly I pages. Someone told me that you could put them into Ultra Pro Premium Penny Sleeves. Neither of the LCS around here carry the premium ones, so I might go buy a few packages just to try them out.

By the way, the camera is making them look dull. They're not that dull. They're very sharp in color. Thanks for the look, and here's a look at the lots that came in this week.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 PM
Emlily Ell.is

8/19 Update:
Money spent: $22;
Cards acquired: 2
(2 usable cards)

Notes: Found a couple more on Facebook that I could use. Dodgers TC is a little more OC than I am wanting, but I got it for a good price. Also, it fills a hole for now. I can always upgrade later. Anyway, almost up to 71% now. Getting excited as I move closer to finishing. Thanks for the look.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:17 PM
Emlily Ell.is

9/16 Update:
Money spent: $170;
Cards acquired: 54
(All usable)

Notes: I picked up a few lots between here and Facebook a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to add them into the thread. I got the Williams for $24 at my LCS, got the Ford and a lot of 11 other cards for $55 on Facebook and the Mays/Braves card from a user here.

Earlier this week, I was contemplating sell the lot because I was more interested in the look and asthetic of the 1957s. I was going to try and trade/sell all of my 1958s to fund more 1957s. But I stopped at one of my favorite card stores yesterday while traveling home from a job site (went to Bankston's in Waco). When I was there last year, I put a box of 57s and 58s in his office, and he held them for me. So I picked up 40 more (the lot of 7 pictured plus another 33) for $1.75 apiece. Needless to say I'm still chipping away at trying to finish the set (I also picked up about 40 different 57s for my set for the same price).

Here's my latest pickups:
Williams, $24 at my LCS, Ford and 11 others for $55 on Facebook and Aaron/Braves from user on here.

Picked up these and 33 others for $1.75 apiece ($70 total) yesterday.

Last edited by wdwfan; 09-18-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:39 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Nice set, and I’m glad you stuck with it. Good luck with the rest!
Old 09-17-2021, 07:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you want a low grade mantle PM me. I have one available

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Al Stein

Default Here is my 58T Mantle

This one would be a reject for wdw's set- it has some creasing bottom right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44283660.jpg (33.2 KB, 615 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:51 PM
Al Stein

Default 2 more that wouldn't make wdw's set

I got the Yogi from Howard a year ago, he said "Are you sure you want it, it has a wrinkle by his cap." Yup. Thanks, Howard!

I don't mind creases at all, it is funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58T Aaron 30.jpg (74.8 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg 58T Berra 370.jpg (75.8 KB, 612 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 12:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I got the Yogi from Howard a year ago, he said "Are you sure you want it, it has a wrinkle by his cap." Yup. Thanks, Howard!

I don't mind creases at all, it is funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Nice cards! Nothing wrong with those at all. That creasing is minor and doesn't detract from eye appeal, and I imagine it makes them much more affordable. Well done.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:55 PM
Jeff Carlson

Nice to see someone working this set. I am only at 38 out of 494, but I have Mantle, Koufax, Cepeda, Berra, and Mathews already. So, it will be the next set I start on after I finish one of the other sets I have at 95+% completion.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:07 PM
Emlily Ell.is

9/16 Update:
Money spent: $380;
Cards acquired: 70
Not useable/creased: 11

Notes: I went to the small local show that occurs every other month and again bought some cards from Larry Duehly (SP). I spent $380, but I picked up a total of 81 cards. There were 5 stars/HOFers as part of 70 I could use. When I got home and took a closer, though, there were 11 I couldn't use because of creasing. The Robin Roberts was part of that group, so I was a little disappointed there. Also, the Banks had a print line across it, so I'll have to upgrade that at some point.

But after today, I'm within 32 cards of finishing the set. I can't believe I'm this close to it (and to think, I was willing to give it up earlier this week. But I couldn't find a buyer that would take it off my hands). So I'll be looking for the final 32 cards over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I can finish in the next 4-6 weeks. We go to Disney in Novemeber, and I'd like to be finished by then.

Anyway, these are part of the cards I picked up today. Just scanned some of the bigger ones. Got 70 cards overall for my set. So I'm getting closer. Thanks for the look.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:01 PM
Bob Andrews

Love this set. These were the first cards I ever saw. A neighbor kid on Long Island had some and as a seven year old baseball fan I was hooked the moment I saw them. I might not have been s impressed with the '57 set back then but these things were so colorful. The first cards i actually owned were 59s and I built that set first when I got back into the hobby in a big way a decade ago but my next project was this one. Mine is in about the same grade as yours.

I saw that you've met and dealt with Larry Dluhy.When i went to work at the old Houston Post in 1971 Larry was in the same department (Ad Services) so I've known him a long time. One of the good guys. His store was his second career and a regular stop on my 'Saturday Card Shop Circuit'.

Good luck down the home stretch on this jewel. I would have liked to help but I gave away nearly all my dupes and most of them were beaters (or close to it) anyway.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:41 PM
Emlily Ell.is

9/28 Update:
Money spent: $145;
Cards acquired: 18
(All 18 are usable, although I may upgrade the Mantle at some point)

Notes: I've been sick for the last day and a half (side effects from Covid vaccine I was told by the urgent care doctor so no worries), so getting these in the mail today was a nice little surprise.

I paid $100 for the Mantle from Exhibitman on here and got the other 17 for $45 from bobsbbcards on here. All of them are usable, although I might upgrade the Mantle at some point in the future after I finish the set. There's no creases or paper loss on it, but it does have some snowy effects and the corners are a little rough. But for $100? I'll take it.

Last edited by wdwfan; 09-28-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Al Richter

Congrats on the pick up Emlily.

Maybe folks trying to encourage others to get the vaccine should offer to send them a package of baseball cards as an inducement
Old 09-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

Nice! Well done on your progress. And quite frankly, any 1950's Mickey Mantle base card you can get for $100 is a good deal.
kevin
Old 09-29-2021, 11:36 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Thanks. I also got the '57 Topps Mantle for $100. Tt's got a couple of creases in it. But no paper loss and pretty good centering. I know that's going to be a different thread, but here's the '57T I got for $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
Nice! Well done on your progress. And quite frankly, any 1950's Mickey Mantle base card you can get for $100 is a good deal.
kevin

Last edited by wdwfan; 10-10-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Emlily Ell.is

10/10 Update:
Money spent: $36;
Cards acquired: 5

Notes: Been trying unsuccessfully to buy here, so I've had to resort to ebay. I overpaid for these (paid $23 for the Banks, almost half of BV). But I guess that's what you get when you can't find anyone that wants to do deal with you here. The Newcombe did come from a very nice member on these boards. So thank you to him. These pickups bring me down to needing just 3 more. Not sure I'll finish as I'm kind of over this set now.

Last edited by wdwfan; 10-10-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:10 AM
Albert Bee

Default 58 t

nice progress !
Old 10-24-2021, 07:47 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Then there was 1!

10/24 Update:
Money spent: $45;
Cards acquired: 2

Notes: Decided to stop at the LCS on the way home from a job site on the other side of San Antonio. They had 2 of the 3 cards I needed for my set. So now I"m down to one lonely card. Not sure what I'll do after as I really enjoy the chase of finding cards and putting sets together. So will probably either sell as a whole, or I'll break it up and help others with their set. Not sure yet.

Last edited by wdwfan; 10-30-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:05 PM

Almost there……..who’s the last one?

…..and remember once finished, put the set in the closest and forget about it for 5 years (think of it as a time capsule and you can’t touch for that time)…..take a month off and than slowly work on the 57 set!!!

Last edited by Elberson; 10-24-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default $1500

I did a quick run through of your posts. It looks, roughly, like you spent around $1500? Not bad!

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:52 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Close. I'm at $1,356 with one card left.
The total amount I've spent is in the OP.
I've kept a running total since the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I did a quick run through of your posts. It looks, roughly, like you spent around $1500? Not bad!