NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-25-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 View Post
This was found in one of my fb groups. He just sent it express to psa.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
hey david, any idea how the owner got it? pack pull?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:18 AM
david

No idea how it was pulled, but he listed it for 15k....

Old 09-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 View Post
No idea how it was pulled, but he listed it for 15k....

That is hilarious but the whole hobby is silly right now.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is hilarious but the whole hobby is silly right now.
given where things are at, who'd be shocked if someone bought that?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
given where things are at, who'd be shocked if someone bought that?
I wouldn't be shocked at all. I sold hundreds of Randy Johnson Marlboro errors over the last year. Before that you couldn't hardly give them away.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 PM
Dylan

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked at all. I sold hundreds of Randy Johnson Marlboro errors over the last year. Before that you couldn't hardly give them away.
And they’re still dirt cheap/way undervalued. All things considered.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 09-25-2021, 09:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
And they’re still dirt cheap/way undervalued. All things considered.
I agree and always found it strange how cheap they sold for. He is a HOFer and for being junk wax era cards they are somewhat scarce. While hoarding them several years ago the only ones I paid more than $5 for are the green scribbles.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:30 PM
Dylan

Quote:
I agree and always found it strange how cheap they sold for. He is a HOFer and for being junk wax era cards they are somewhat scarce. While hoarding them several years ago the only ones I paid more than $5 for are the green scribbles.
If the majority of the hobby understood just how quickly the card went through so many changes and had a better understanding of those changes, the situation would be very different. Id say "enjoy it while it lasts" but if at this point of hobby insanity they still sell for so little, they probably aren't going to go too crazy anytime soon.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:50 AM

Talked to the seller this morning, and he claims the card sold.

He reached out to me Saturday morning and said it was officially on the market for $15K OBO. Crazy.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
Talked to the seller this morning, and he claims the card sold.

He reached out to me Saturday morning and said it was officially on the market for $15K OBO. Crazy.
insanity. where was he selling it? randy johnson black market site? didn't see on ebay.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM

Awesome information and excited that another one of these turned up! Thank you Statfreak101 for the heads up on this. The week before last Statfreak101 told me about seeing this card raw in a FB group. He reached out to the person who posted the pic (a card shop owner) and found out "...it sounds like a guy brought in a collection from the 80s and 90s, and had 14 different 89 Fleer hand collated sets...and inside one of the sets was this card." I forwarded the message and picture of the ungraded card to Kevin and we both agreed that this looked exactly like our cards. I honestly spent the better part of that night trying to find the Facebook group on my own. Unfortunately, I am incompetent navigating FB and had no luck. I didn’t see the graded card until David posted the pic here. It is incredibly exciting. I wish I knew more. Were these some sort of first press run on the first day before a quality check process? Did some "fix" not make it on one of the lines at the start of the first day of production?

I agree with Hatorade that this new find reinforces the likelihood there are more of these out there. I believe this card has the staying power to be a very important card for those who love 1980s wax and crave something really scarce (of course I am biased). As I’ve mentioned before, this card and its many versions feel (at least to me) like an 80’s take on the parallels of modern collecting. The clear and blue versions are scarce in an absolute sense and hard to come by no matter how much you search – which is so much different from almost anything else from the junk wax era. Things are crazy now in all markets, but I think the fascination with this card will continue to grow as people who were kids in the 80s continue to build out their collections. I agree with Dylan that initial lack of demand for this card was likely due to lack of information on the versions and lack of knowledge about the relative scarcity. There is a learning curve for the card because searching "Randy Johnson Marlboro" on eBay returns tons of results… even though very few listings for the rarest versions come up (or stay up long).

In thinking about this card and its many versions I keep going back to ideas of scarcity and available substitutes. In person the clear one is super rare (very scare) and in person there is a dramatic difference between it and any of the tinted/obscured versions (lack of substitutes). The closest you can get is putting very intense lighting on the sign in a br2 (as I’ve done in several posts last year) but even then, not really and in person no one would ever confuse the two. I guess the other possible substitute is the magnet with a picture of the clear version someone is selling on eBay (no that isn’t me… but it keeps getting suggested to me). The blue tint ones are the same way – in that they stand out visually among others.

When I heard about this new clear one, I actually bought (2) unopened boxes of 1989 Fleer #83261 just on the off chance someone had picked up the card in a recent wax pull. Paid way too much but got caught up in the excitement! The absolute scarcity of the clear one makes it hard to assign a value. It’s no secret that I’ve toyed around with listing the card. Kevin can also vouch for me that over the last couple years I’ve offered him up to $15k for his clear one (sorry for being such a pest, Kevin). It is a strange card for sure. In that respect, I’m not surprised on the ask price. I read the book “The Card” last year and there are parallels to the chase for this and other urban legend cards (e.g., the 31 PSA graded examples of the T206 White Border Honus Wagner). Everyone has their own idea of what is valuable to them… my next "best" card in my collection is a 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF PSA 7.5. I would give that up in a heartbeat for even a PSA 4 of a clear Marlboro card.

At the end of the day definitely take it all with a grain of salt as these are just my two cents. I have no idea why this card is still such a fascination to me but love the ride.

Steve
Old 09-27-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
insanity. where was he selling it? randy johnson black market site? didn't see on ebay.
Be careful, if you Google "black market randy johnson" you might find something other than what you're looking for...
Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5838 View Post
Awesome information and excited that another one of these turned up! Thank you Statfreak101 for the heads up on this. The week before last Statfreak101 told me about seeing this card raw in a FB group. He reached out to the person who posted the pic (a card shop owner) and found out "...it sounds like a guy brought in a collection from the 80s and 90s, and had 14 different 89 Fleer hand collated sets...and inside one of the sets was this card." I forwarded the message and picture of the ungraded card to Kevin and we both agreed that this looked exactly like our cards. I honestly spent the better part of that night trying to find the Facebook group on my own. Unfortunately, I am incompetent navigating FB and had no luck. I didn’t see the graded card until David posted the pic here. It is incredibly exciting. I wish I knew more. Were these some sort of first press run on the first day before a quality check process? Did some "fix" not make it on one of the lines at the start of the first day of production?

I agree with Hatorade that this new find reinforces the likelihood there are more of these out there. I believe this card has the staying power to be a very important card for those who love 1980s wax and crave something really scarce (of course I am biased). As I’ve mentioned before, this card and its many versions feel (at least to me) like an 80’s take on the parallels of modern collecting. The clear and blue versions are scarce in an absolute sense and hard to come by no matter how much you search – which is so much different from almost anything else from the junk wax era. Things are crazy now in all markets, but I think the fascination with this card will continue to grow as people who were kids in the 80s continue to build out their collections. I agree with Dylan that initial lack of demand for this card was likely due to lack of information on the versions and lack of knowledge about the relative scarcity. There is a learning curve for the card because searching "Randy Johnson Marlboro" on eBay returns tons of results… even though very few listings for the rarest versions come up (or stay up long).

In thinking about this card and its many versions I keep going back to ideas of scarcity and available substitutes. In person the clear one is super rare (very scare) and in person there is a dramatic difference between it and any of the tinted/obscured versions (lack of substitutes). The closest you can get is putting very intense lighting on the sign in a br2 (as I’ve done in several posts last year) but even then, not really and in person no one would ever confuse the two. I guess the other possible substitute is the magnet with a picture of the clear version someone is selling on eBay (no that isn’t me… but it keeps getting suggested to me). The blue tint ones are the same way – in that they stand out visually among others.

When I heard about this new clear one, I actually bought (2) unopened boxes of 1989 Fleer #83261 just on the off chance someone had picked up the card in a recent wax pull. Paid way too much but got caught up in the excitement! The absolute scarcity of the clear one makes it hard to assign a value. It’s no secret that I’ve toyed around with listing the card. Kevin can also vouch for me that over the last couple years I’ve offered him up to $15k for his clear one (sorry for being such a pest, Kevin). It is a strange card for sure. In that respect, I’m not surprised on the ask price. I read the book “The Card” last year and there are parallels to the chase for this and other urban legend cards (e.g., the 31 PSA graded examples of the T206 White Border Honus Wagner). Everyone has their own idea of what is valuable to them… my next "best" card in my collection is a 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF PSA 7.5. I would give that up in a heartbeat for even a PSA 4 of a clear Marlboro card.

At the end of the day definitely take it all with a grain of salt as these are just my two cents. I have no idea why this card is still such a fascination to me but love the ride.

Steve
I can't help but agree with this post. If I could "like" it, I most certainly would.

If I ever end up pulling one of these out of a pack, I certainly hope someone is there with me to catch me when I fall over!
Old 09-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I can't help but agree with this post. If I could "like" it, I most certainly would.

If I ever end up pulling one of these out of a pack, I certainly hope someone is there with me to catch me when I fall over!
+1 it is a great post.

There should definitely be more out there some place. I wonder if there was ever/is a no tint at all version.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
+1 it is a great post.

There should definitely be more out there some place. I wonder if there was ever/is a no tint at all version.
This is why if at all possible, it would be super cool to get someone from the Fleer company/plant that would remember ANYTHING about this card.

And of course the FF Ripken, too.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
+1 it is a great post.

Thanks! My guess is that this is the no tint at all version. In person I can't see any tint on mine over the sign. I think the sign background isn't completely white due to some shadowing (or distortion due to sunlight or changing image) on the LCD (or whatever it is) screen. However, up close I don't see any film of tint color over the sign like there is on the other versions. I think the rectangle around the sign where the color goes from dark red or off white to black just defines the dimensions of the LCD screen.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:04 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:

Ummm, no offense. But they need to catch the card and let you bounce.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Excellent write-up Steve, I 100% agree with everything you said in there. These cards are unbelievably rare with the clear Marlboro, as now we know of only 3 clear versions. The Thomas NNOF gets all the pub; however, this card is far more scarce than that. Hopefully at some point, folks will realize that.

I am anxious to hear what the RJ looks like if you end up opening one of your very early Fleer boxes. Those are among the earliest date codes I've ever seen, and any RJ in the box will most certainly be some type of Marlboro version.

As Dylan mentioned, these cards went through so many changes in such a short period of time, it puts all the Ripken changes to shame. This is what makes '89 Fleer so fun to collect though, the thought of hitting one of these ultra-rare '89 Fleer cards from a set which can be considered anything but rare.

Not to take anything away from the Johnson cards, but those checklists with positions on front are incredibly scarce too. While nobody cares much, they are darn near impossible to find.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Dylan

Quote:
My sentiments exactly.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:24 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos01 View Post
Excellent write-up Steve, I 100% agree with everything you said in there. These cards are unbelievably rare with the clear Marlboro, as now we know of only 3 clear versions. The Thomas NNOF gets all the pub; however, this card is far more scarce than that. Hopefully at some point, folks will realize that.

I am anxious to hear what the RJ looks like if you end up opening one of your very early Fleer boxes. Those are among the earliest date codes I've ever seen, and any RJ in the box will most certainly be some type of Marlboro version.

As Dylan mentioned, these cards went through so many changes in such a short period of time, it puts all the Ripken changes to shame. This is what makes '89 Fleer so fun to collect though, the thought of hitting one of these ultra-rare '89 Fleer cards from a set which can be considered anything but rare.

Not to take anything away from the Johnson cards, but those checklists with positions on front are incredibly scarce too. While nobody cares much, they are darn near impossible to find.
I believe that it has been confirmed several times over that the cases, especially mid November dates, contain a variety of correction types (obviously excluding one with a clear...) ranging from slight tint to boxed signs. Has this changed or has new info come up? I don't see nearly as much 1989 Fleer broken as I did last summer.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:02 PM

That's absolutely correct Dylan. I believe all the Johnson cards went through their changes long before the Ripken FF was ever first "corrected". Odds are there must be more clear versions out there, and they should be in the earliest dated boxes. I have opened a bunch of early Fleer, and different Johnson versions definitely appeared in the same case, similar to the Ripkens. The problem? The prices on old wax has skyrocketed, and at some point in the last 5 years, the amount of '89 Fleer unopened has dropped dramatically, despite the fact it was printed to the moon.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:55 PM
Dylan

Quote:
That's absolutely correct Dylan. I believe all the Johnson cards went through their changes long before the Ripken FF was ever first "corrected". Odds are there must be more clear versions out there, and they should be in the earliest dated boxes. I have opened a bunch of early Fleer, and different Johnson versions definitely appeared in the same case, similar to the Ripkens. The problem? The prices on old wax has skyrocketed, and at some point in the last 5 years, the amount of '89 Fleer unopened has dropped dramatically, despite the fact it was printed to the moon.
Just the fact that sealed cases from the first two weeks of production made it this far is pretty amazing to me (as a junk wax enthusiast). I couldn't believe the amount of them getting posted for sale last summer.

So it is my understanding that Fleer had multiple correction types (plates) going simultaneously pretty much from day 1 (or day 2, I suppose) while altering/adjusting them up until the January change over to solid blackout background, correct? So theoretically, a clear version could possibly be pulled form a case containing some other correction types.

Has anyone locked down the first date of production?

Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Just the fact that sealed cases from the first two weeks of production made it this far is pretty amazing to me (as a junk wax enthusiast). I couldn't believe the amount of them getting posted for sale last summer.

So it is my understanding that Fleer had multiple correction types (plates) going simultaneously pretty much from day 1 (or day 2, I suppose) while altering/adjusting them up until the January change over to solid blackout background, correct? So theoretically, a clear version could possibly be pulled form a case containing some other correction types.

Has anyone locked down the first date of production?
Dylan, I believe I have. But I am keeping that information off the public forum...so if you want to chat more, get a hold of me.

Personally, I have owned multiple 8326 cases (both sealed & unsealed) and ripped a ton of that run...it is very similar to the other case runs where the Johnson version varies. Pretty crazy, and I still have some FASC boxes of these in my possession.

You just have to think there are more than 3 of these out there - just by chance. How they are out there, it is anyone's guess. Whether they are still sitting in unopened packs, or someone has one in their collection that they aren't even aware of, or in hand collated set...who knows. But I am 100% certain there are more out there.

My hope is that with the finding of this latest one, it would possibly bring a couple more out in the wild. We will see!
Old 09-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Dylan, I believe I have. But I am keeping that information off the public forum...so if you want to chat more, get a hold of me.

Personally, I have owned multiple 8326 cases (both sealed & unsealed) and ripped a ton of that run...it is very similar to the other case runs where the Johnson version varies. Pretty crazy, and I still have some FASC boxes of these in my possession.

You just have to think there are more than 3 of these out there - just by chance. How they are out there, it is anyone's guess. Whether they are still sitting in unopened packs, or someone has one in their collection that they aren't even aware of, or in hand collated set...who knows. But I am 100% certain there are more out there.

My hope is that with the finding of this latest one, it would possibly bring a couple more out in the wild. We will see!
Absolutely understandable.

I do also think there is almost zero chance that Fleer pressed and packed out just 10s of these. The rate in which the cards are printed and processed is very quick and a hundred or so would be a more accurate estimate if caught "immediately" by Fleer. Given the fact that sealed cases have been turning up and the vast number of hand collated sets from 1989 to now sitting in attics, closets, storage, etc, I think we will see more of them. Even is 100-200 copies exist, that is a microscopic supply against the entire production run.

Also, I'll say that my primary interest in the card is eventually locking down which correction attempts were produced for the shortest period of time. There have to be a few that only ran for a shift or day, max.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks! My guess is that this is the no tint at all version. In person I can't see any tint on mine over the sign. I think the sign background isn't completely white due to some shadowing (or distortion due to sunlight or changing image) on the LCD (or whatever it is) screen. However, up close I don't see any film of tint color over the sign like there is on the other versions. I think the rectangle around the sign where the color goes from dark red or off white to black just defines the dimensions of the LCD screen.
In post #87 you have a very sharp closeup image of the your clear version next to a blue version. It almost appears that there is some very light blueish tinting in that image over the white part of the ad. Some of the other photos of the other clear cards seem to show some light discoloration in that area too. That isn't evident with the card in hand?
Old 09-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
In post #87 you have a very sharp closeup image of the your clear version next to a blue version. It almost appears that there is some very light blueish tinting in that image over the white part of the ad. Some of the other photos of the other clear cards seem to show some light discoloration in that area too. That isn't evident with the card in hand?
To me it looks to have a few areas of red tint. I can't remember who but one of the owners of one sent me some great scans and I noticed the very small amount of red spots on it also.

I do know these card are next to impossible to get a great pic/scan of, at least for me any way.

As for being rare what is the current known blue tint count?

Back when I was hoarding them the green scribbles seemed to be the rarest. Now there seems to be a lot more of them around. To me there was 3 different green scribble versions. I think I came up with around 18-20 different versions total. The only new one I have seen since then is the blue tint.

The 89 Fleer set had some great errors. The Boggs no dot is my favorite and seems to be in the silly rare category.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I don't know if all of the pictures show up clearly enough on this site. So you can better see my clear card I just posted a pic on mySlabs. For reference I also posted one of my blue ones. I like that site because it lets you have very high definition images. I'm not seriously in the market to sell either of these at any reasonable price (and I know you have higher graded blue ones that I do) but the site makes you include some price for a card to show up.

Here is the link to cards I have up (I'm not sure how to get a link for one particular card):
myslabs.to/woodstock2

In person the background of the clear sign has a patchwork of subtle colors in it. It reminds me of some of the old laptop screens or even TVs. I agree there is some light distortion but believe it was part of the original photo of RJ in front of the sign and not after-the-fact tint. Maybe it has to do with the refresh rates of the older electronic billboard signage. I remember as a kid trying to take pictures of things on a TV or laptop and the pictures would show up with these strange color streams. This reminds me of that. To my eyes there is some light pinkish red, some yellowish white, and some bluish green. In the blue version the top of the cowboy's hat is part in and part out of the layer of blue tint. I don't see this on my clear one. In the clear version the entire cowboy's hat appears to me to be un-tinted. Even looking at the br2 one I posted on mySlabs (PSA #47414199) when you zoom in there is a distinct horizontal transition line that cuts across the top of the cowboy's hat that isn't there as far as I can see on the clear one. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so that is why I put the pics up so you can judge for yourself. I hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:36 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

This is a fascinating thread!

To be honest, I've relegated most of cards from this era to boxes for my son to sort through or even donated. But it's great to see this serious research and attention to these cards. I absolutely love it. Good work!
Old 09-28-2021, 01:46 PM

Steve, in regards to the blue tint version - how noticeable is/was this card/tint to the naked eye before you really dissected it and noticed the difference in tint?

I only ask because I have a mountain of these and want to know if I need to go through them to see.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Steve, in regards to the blue tint version - how noticeable is/was this card/tint to the naked eye before you really dissected it and noticed the difference in tint?

I only ask because I have a mountain of these and want to know if I need to go through them to see.
I have owned one and believe it might be the one Steve owns. The blue really sticks out. Actually it looks turquoise to me but there is no way you will confuse the blue card with a green tint.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I have owned one and believe it might be the one Steve owns. The blue really sticks out. Actually it looks turquoise to me but there is no way you will confuse the blue card with a green tint.
I agree with Ben. It is pretty obvious unless you are ripping packs in a room without much light. Of course lighting on some eBay pics makes it difficult to tell for sure.. My rule of thumb for differentiating green vs blue versions beyond tint color, is in the blue version the cowboy is not obscured and there is no bubble.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM

I've always thought the "blue" version was more green in my opinion. It just seems to be a lighter shade of green without any black scribble obstruction, when compared to the version commonly labeled "green scribble". Or, turquoise as Ben says, I would agree with that too. I believe junkwaxgems.com shows pretty much all the different versions I've ever owned/seen, as does Steve's photo gallery.

For those interested, the Treadway targets were not early corrections, these appeared randomly relatively early after the Ripken was first corrected. These were not very early errors. I also do not believe the checklists with positions were extremely early errors. These also seem to be some random type variety, but I'm not sure what point they came in the print run. The Boggs is not terribly scarce, the version without the black dot on the reverse can be commonly found in later print runs, well after other errors were corrected.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I've always thought the "blue" version was more green in my opinion. It just seems to be a lighter shade of green without any black scribble obstruction, when compared to the version commonly labeled "green scribble". Or, turquoise as Ben says, I would agree with that too. I believe junkwaxgems.com shows pretty much all the different versions I've ever owned/seen, as does Steve's photo gallery.

For those interested, the Treadway targets were not early corrections, these appeared randomly relatively early after the Ripken was first corrected. These were not very early errors. I also do not believe the checklists with positions were extremely early errors. These also seem to be some random type variety, but I'm not sure what point they came in the print run. The Boggs is not terribly scarce, the version without the black dot on the reverse can be commonly found in later print runs, well after other errors were corrected.
I agree with Kevin and Ben. The "blue" color is more accurately described as turquoise. Sorry, I am not great with color names. This version really stands out though.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:

If the bold part is true it is news to me. I have been hoarding them since I pack pulled one back in the day. I have only ever seen 11 total and own 7 of them.

Yes I know there are 2 on eBay. One is listed by a great guy but he prices things so high Deans pricing seems like a bargain basement giveaway box. The other seller more than doubled their price when I made what I consider a reasonable offer.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-28-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:42 PM

Hi Ben, as I was mostly trying to open early runs, I mostly stayed away from the later print runs (if codes were known). I know I hit many Boggs, but I did not really place them aside as he wasn't someone I was looking for. Certainly, they are far scarcer without the print dot than with, but I know I have many of them sitting somewhere in my common bins. The same applies to Kevin Romine - his card was corrected very late in the print run, so there are far fewer corrected Romine's available than the original error showing Randy Kutcher batting.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Hi Ben, as I was mostly trying to open early runs, I mostly stayed away from the later print runs (if codes were known). I know I hit many Boggs, but I did not really place them aside as he wasn't someone I was looking for. Certainly, they are far scarcer without the print dot than with, but I know I have many of them sitting somewhere in my common bins. The same applies to Kevin Romine - his card was corrected very late in the print run, so there are far fewer corrected Romine's available than the original error showing Randy Kutcher batting.
If you ever run across them please remember me.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:52 PM

I most definitely will Ben, now that I know you're looking for these.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
In person the background of the clear sign has a patchwork of subtle colors in it. It reminds me of some of the old laptop screens or even TVs. I agree there is some light distortion but believe it was part of the original photo of RJ in front of the sign and not after-the-fact tint. Maybe it has to do with the refresh rates of the older electronic billboard signage. I remember as a kid trying to take pictures of things on a TV or laptop and the pictures would show up with these strange color streams. This reminds me of that. To my eyes there is some light pinkish red, some yellowish white, and some bluish green. In the blue version the top of the cowboy's hat is part in and part out of the layer of blue tint. I don't see this on my clear one. In the clear version the entire cowboy's hat appears to me to be un-tinted. Even looking at the br2 one I posted on mySlabs (PSA #47414199) when you zoom in there is a distinct horizontal transition line that cuts across the top of the cowboy's hat that isn't there as far as I can see on the clear one. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so that is why I put the pics up so you can judge for yourself. I hope this helps.
I really appreciate you following up. Attention to some of the other finer details with these cards goes a long way, so I was just hoping to get the best info possible.

Quote:
To me it looks to have a few areas of red tint. I can't remember who but one of the owners of one sent me some great scans and I noticed the very small amount of red spots on it also.
I do know these card are next to impossible to get a great pic/scan of, at least for me any way.
As for being rare what is the current known blue tint count?
Quote:
I see some red in there and maybe some slight other coloring as well and Steve also confirmed some of that. The Blues are definitely a turquoise/sea green kind of color and not completely blue. I do think it's likely that the majority of the obstructing of the ad that Fleer did on these cards was done on/or relating to the cyan plate in my humble opinion.

The blue count is right around 5 I think. I’ve included a couple more images of the blue box card I mentioned earlier. They aren’t the greatest quality, but in hand the card is almost a royal blue and yet with any decent source of light you can easily read the lettering in Marlboro as no editing is done specifically to the lettering like the other versions and there is no bubble.

Quote:
He reached out to the person who posted the pic (a card shop owner) and found out "...it sounds like a guy brought in a collection from the 80s and 90s, and had 14 different 89 Fleer hand collated sets...and inside one of the sets was this card."
Steve
Does someone know if the shop owner pulled any other variations in the additional sets? If the sets all came from the same case, it would be interesting to see what else was in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6598.jpg (66.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6600.jpg (38.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
If the bold part is true it is news to me. I have been hoarding them since I pack pulled one back in the day. I have only ever seen 11 total and own 7 of them.

Yes I know there are 2 on eBay. One is listed by a great guy but he prices things so high Deans pricing seems like a bargain basement giveaway box. The other seller more than doubled their price when I made what I consider a reasonable offer.
I have a Boggs no dot in the collection - every time I pull it to look at it, I think about offering it up to you.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I have a Boggs no dot in the collection - every time I pull it to look at it, I think about offering it up to you.
Stop thinking and email me a pic and price.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:46 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

What is this no dot variation of Wade Boggs? I need to know what it is I am rummaging for.

I have an unopened 1989 Fleer Cello Box I bought years ago, two of them actually. I opened one for the Ripken errors. Both boxes were advertised as error cellos. And they were. I never paid any attention to the RJ's when I opened them and have no idea now as to what version I had pulled from the box.

Does anyone have any mfg dates that they are aware of for the RJ Errors? The code on the box I have is 8611-A, not sure if that helps anyone, but there it is.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
What is this no dot variation of Wade Boggs? I need to know what it is I am rummaging for.

I have an unopened 1989 Fleer Cello Box I bought years ago, two of them actually. I opened one for the Ripken errors. Both boxes were advertised as error cellos. And they were. I never paid any attention to the RJ's when I opened them and have no idea now as to what version I had pulled from the box.

Does anyone have any mfg dates that they are aware of for the RJ Errors? The code on the box I have is 8611-A, not sure if that helps anyone, but there it is.
That code isn't relevant to anything - the "code" that people reference is the code on the case that the boxes come from. Without knowing that, it is impossible to know if it is an error box or not...well, not completely impossible. There is something that can tell you if the chance is 0% or higher than that.

As far as the cello boxes - these were made later in the production run, so the number of errors that are found in cello boxes isn't near what they are in wax boxes. Racks & cellos did produce a few different versions of the RJ/Marlboro card, but not nearly as many as the wax.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:09 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
That code isn't relevant to anything - the "code" that people reference is the code on the case that the boxes come from. Without knowing that, it is impossible to know if it is an error box or not...well, not completely impossible. There is something that can tell you if the chance is 0% or higher than that.

As far as the cello boxes - these were made later in the production run, so the number of errors that are found in cello boxes isn't near what they are in wax boxes. Racks & cellos did produce a few different versions of the RJ/Marlboro card, but not nearly as many as the wax.
Thanks for the info. Both boxes had the same code and I know I pulled Ripken FF errors. I will just have to be satisfied with that.

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
on the back of the boggs, next to "throws right" is a giant dot on almost all of the cards. i've never seen one without the dot, but sounds like ben has a handful of them.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
on the back of the boggs, next to "throws right" is a giant dot on almost all of the cards. i've never seen one without the dot, but sounds like ben has a handful of them.
I am a hoarder.

Card without dot is the rare version.

To keep it kinda on topic here is a 9 year old pic of the second clearest Marlboro version I paid $9 for at the time. Also that is one more cool thing about COMC. You can go back and see pics of every card you have ever bought there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210929_173053(1).jpg (69.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Randy-Johnson-(Marlboro-Billboard).jpg (77.1 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 09-29-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:57 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Wade Boggs is Canadian?
Born in New Brunswick?
Very close to New England.
Who knew.....
Old 09-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Wade Boggs is Canadian?
Born in New Brunswick?
Very close to New England.
Who knew.....
Jon my friend I am eternally grateful for this information. I hate to admit to my complete and utter stupidity. For some beyond silly reason I ASSumed it was Nebraska.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Jon my friend I am eternally grateful for this information. I hate to admit to my complete and utter stupidity. For some beyond silly reason I ASSumed it was Nebraska.
being a fan of all things hockey, i am now a bigger wade boggs fan seeing that he's clearly canadian
Old 09-30-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Does someone know if the shop owner pulled any other variations in the additional sets? If the sets all came from the same case, it would be interesting to see what else was in there.
I was thinking the same thing and actually tracked down and reached out to the shop owner several days ago. Other than the clear one, the hand collated sets had four other cards where you could read the Marlboro sign. One was a "g1", one was a "rb2", and the other two were the "blue box" version that you own. I purchased the two "blue box" ones from him for $200 each ($400 total). I don't know whether this is a good deal or not (I don't think the cards will grade particularly high and will likely get the "Ad Partially Obscured" label) but I'm very happy with the purchase since I've been trying to track down this version for quite awhile. In case you're interested, I've attached two pictures of each card.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (77.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.1 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 2a.jpg (78.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing and actually tracked down and reached out to the shop owner several days ago. Other than the clear one, the hand collated sets had four other cards where you could read the Marlboro sign. One was a "g1", one was a "rb2", and the other two were the "blue box" version that you own. I purchased the two "blue box" ones from him for $200 each ($400 total). I don't know whether this is a good deal or not (I don't think the cards will grade particularly high and will likely get the "Ad Partially Obscured" label) but I'm very happy with the purchase since I've been trying to track down this version for quite awhile. In case you're interested, I've attached two pictures of each card.

Steve
Nice cards. I thought I had one of those but when it showed up it was a regular box. In hand do the look like the weird red box cards that you can also clearly see the word Marlboro? Just blue instead of red.

Tags
1980's, 1989 fleer, error cards, randy johnson, variations