NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Scott Levy

Default Would I be crazy if .....

A pretty nutty idea came into my head of trying to put together a second T206 set in really, really rough shape (like P/F).

Having a brand new little boy I just thought it would be cool to let him hold the cards as soon as he's old enough - without caring if he dropped or folded one.

Anyone else do something like this? Of course, I could be equally happy trying to put together a T205 or T3 set.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 AM
T0dd M@rcum

A young kid (say less than 9) gets as much pleasure handling a 1987 Topps card as he does a T206. Both are old to him. Pick what you want to collect for you, your kid will pick up what they like. My son has been going to shows with me since he was 6 or so. He's now 16 and a pretty good player, but still goes to shows...and he and I don't even look at the same stuff, but both get excited about the other finding something the like. We'll go to Cincy in November...our annual father son sabbatical. I am happy I now have GPS because I always get lost. I think we will go to White Castles and maybe stop by Frischs for dessert.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Get some T 206 reprints he can handle and get to know the players. If he takes an interest in them you can start him on the real thing
Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default moved to main forum

I appreciate when folks are trying to do the right thing in where they put their discussions. Scott (Hi Scott) put this in the BST area but it's really a main board discussion, even though eventually he might be looking for some cards.....All in fun. Happy collecting...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Scott Levy

Sorry Leon....didn't even realize that. Thanks for moving it.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Pup6913

Scott I got my 5 yr old Melody some T206's and put them in the screwdowns I have for T206's. She loves to get them out and play with them and look at them. She knows the difference between cards and all the 1000's of 80-90's cards I have she says are junk. Guess the moral of this is watch what you start because they are smarter than you think and may cost more
Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

My oldest son is 3 1/2 now. About a year ago, i was bored so we opened up a box of 90 Upperdeck I had laying around. He helped me open the packs, but quickly found the team logo holograms and that was all he wanted. This year at the National I picked up two very cheap boxes ($5-$10) of baseball and hockey for us to open together and we have had a GREAT time doing so. It's a blast opening the packs with him and watching him as he flips through going "player, player, player, he's a goalie! player, player, there's the referee! Where's the puck?..." At this age, he rarely stops to look at a card for more than a few seconds (other than goalies or if he has a question). When we look at my prewar cards together (T206/E93), it's always just a quick look and then he moves on to something else. At this age, he doesn't appreciate the age of the cards or the players, to him they are just a picture. As such, I would recommend just getting a cheap box of cards to let him open and enjoy, save the older cards until your son is a bit older and will actually enjoy them.

dj
Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yea, I picked up some super-cheap 80s sets for my son to play with later (he's 1 now). I think what DJ said is a good idea, and I might pick up some cheap wax boxes for us to break open later too.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Sean Brennan

When I was seven I got my first 1933 goudey. I knew it was old and would not settle with a reprint. I got my son a low grade t206 team set so I'd recommend that. I also got him a cobb that he loves. He thinks all the player are ty cobb but he's only four. This is the best benefit of having them graded. He was playing with them just yesterday and I had no worries about him destroying the cards. I currently have ten collections going for the sole purpose of giving them to my two sons when they are old enough. I'm hoping they love them and want to collect them and it'll keep them from wanting to spend their money on bullshit like beer and cigarettes.