NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2023, 09:56 AM

Default Pops

I'm relatively new to collecting cards and tickets.
In the description of some I've seen POP THREE, POP FOUR etc.
I'm sure someone here can tell me what this indicates.

thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2023, 10:14 AM

Grading companies like PSA, Beckett, and SGC all keep what's called a "Population Report" that lists all the cards they have ever graded. That name is typically shortened to "Pop Report". When someone says a card is POP 1/2/3/4, that means there are only 1/2/3/4 of those cards in existence that have been graded by the company.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:26 AM

great....thanks
Old 05-11-2023, 11:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I expected this thread to be about Willie Stargell, so please forgive my ignorance here….

What happens when someone cracks a “pop” out of its slab and re-submits it? What if the “pop” comes back with a different number or is submitted to another Opinion Giver? What if Moser, Huigens or Mathis alter the “pop”, thus rendering the “pop” non-existent and obsolete?

Is there a “slab police” to monitor such activity? Perhaps these are dumb questions, but I would really like to know the answers.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 05-11-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:46 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The answer is there is no answer. The TPAs have no way of knowing if a card/item is still in their slab or not. IF you crack a card 2 or 3 times and resubmit fishing for a higher grade, the previous grades still are in their system.

The pop report only counts for a specific grader. So pop reports for PSA do not count SGC, etc. Crack a PSA and send to SGC and the same card will be in both reports.

The only thing I would be curious about is if, one company notifies another if an official crossover is done. So, if you send a PSA slabbed card to SGC to be crossed over, do they notify PSA of the switch? I would be curious to know.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-11-2023, 04:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think the important point for a new collector to understand is that pop reports have inherent limitations. SGC and PSA might say there are 30 cards of these graded, but that's misleading, as no doubt cards in SGC or PSA holders were cracked out of their cases and submitted to the other company. I've done that and many others on the board have done as well. And the companies don't take cards off their population report when they are submitted to another company. And of course there is also Beckett grading and now newer grading companies. And there may be a combined reported population total of 30 cards for example, but even a cursory glance on eBay may show raw ungraded cards in existence. And there likely are other raw cards never submitted to any company and are sitting in a safe or in an attic somewhere. So reported Pop #s are useful but have a lot of obvious limitations.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-11-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think the important point for a new collector to understand is that pop reports have inherent limitations. SGC and PSA might say there are 30 cards of these graded, but that's misleading, as no doubt cards in SGC or PSA holders were cracked out of their cases and submitted to the other company. I've done that and many others on the board have done as well. And the companies don't take cards off their population report when they are submitted to another company. And of course there is also Beckett grading and now newer grading companies. And there may be a combined reported population total of 30 cards for example, but even a cursory glance on eBay may show raw ungraded cards in existence. And there likely are other raw cards never submitted to any company and are sitting in a safe or in an attic somewhere. So reported Pop #s are useful but have a lot of obvious limitations.
True, but the one thing that can be stated with certainty is that if the combined number of graded 10 cards is 30, there are no more than 30, There probably are less, but cannot be more.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
True, but the one thing that can be stated with certainty is that if the combined number of graded 10 cards is 30, there are no more than 30, There probably are less, but cannot be more.
For newer cards there are unopened packs and boxes. Every month PSA grades more PSA 10 MIchael Jordan rookie cards and more Luka and Tua 10s. Agree that for vintage probably very unlikely there are a lot of pristine 10s lying around.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I once paid good money for a card from the 1920s PSA 7 "highest ever graded" only to look at the pop report a few years later and see two 8s magically appear.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:13 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
I once paid good money for a card from the 1920s PSA 7 "highest ever graded" only to look at the pop report a few years later and see two 8s magically appear.
The point is that at the time of purchase, that was a true statement. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what PSA grades something or how many are higher as of that exact moment of time. I own ZERO graded cards and have only had a few pass throughs. But I do understand someone marketing something that way.
I don't think you thought that your card was the best the world would EVER see, did you? Just that there were none graded higher at the time of the transaction.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
The point is that at the time of purchase, that was a true statement. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what PSA grades something or how many are higher as of that exact moment of time. I own ZERO graded cards and have only had a few pass throughs. But I do understand someone marketing something that way.
I don't think you thought that your card was the best the world would EVER see, did you? Just that there were none graded higher at the time of the transaction.
I sort of thought so. It’s a total graded pop of like 30 cards and is from 1925 so I was shocked when two higher graded cards suddenly appeared.

As a collector I think it’s pretty cool to own the nicest version known to exist of a card. I think that’s a pretty common sentiment in most collecting fields. Of course others may see it differently.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:30 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
I sort of thought so. It’s a total graded pop of like 30 cards and is from 1925 so I was shocked when two higher graded cards suddenly appeared.

As a collector I think it’s pretty cool to own the nicest version known to exist of a card. I think that’s a pretty common sentiment in most collecting fields. Of course others may see it differently.
Bummer . I imagine you felt similarly to the E98 folks after the Black Swamp reared it's head!
Old 05-13-2023, 07:35 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

regardless you get great info hear and we would love to see your pickups as you get them

enjoy the ride

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson