NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM

One of the first pre-1950 sets I finished, and it wasn't all that easy. Almost all of them are either Authentic, Poor or Fair, except the DiMaggio which is a BVG 4.5.

I don't want to fill out the pictures since I have the set, but here is the Foxx:

Also, I have seen variations in back ink color on both the 1943 and 1949 issues. the only consistent I see on the 1949 set is the presence of a card number on the back. I also will note that the orientation of the backs is all over the place.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
One of the first pre-1950 sets I finished, and it wasn't all that easy. Almost all of them are either Authentic, Poor or Fair, except the DiMaggio which is a BVG 4.5.

I don't want to fill out the pictures since I have the set, but here is the Foxx:

Also, I have seen variations in back ink color on both the 1943 and 1949 issues. the only consistent I see on the 1949 set is the presence of a card number on the back. I also will note that the orientation of the backs is all over the place.

GehrigFan

So far, at the current rate of inputs here, I don't think we'll have all 24 cards displayed. So, feel free to show some more of your cards.

I hope you don't mind me correcting your statement ......"the only consistent I see on the 1949 set is the presence of a card number on the back."

There are 4 (or 5) 1949 M.P. & Co. cards that were never printed with card numbers.

TED Z
Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

My 1 and only:

Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Here's my Reese for our virtual set.

Ted,

Since not all the 1949's have numbers on the back, is the best way to tell the difference the color of the text? Blue v. Black. I have a Hank Danning that doesn't have a number but does have black text. Does that mean it's a 1949?

Thanks a lot.

AndyH

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Reese.jpg (37.7 KB, 424 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Default Another Feller....but different!

A little different than the last Bob Feller. The Standard Catalog suggests there could be several different variations of these cards. Can anyone shed any more light on the variations in this set?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1943 M&P Co. Bob Feller collage.jpg (74.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Ted Williams MP&Co Research

There has been some great discussion regarding the MP&Co sets. I have been researching these sets with regards specifically to Ted Williams. This has kind of been a "passion" of mine as these cards are often felt to be of lesser quality. I have discovered several points that seem to hold true.

1. As TedZan noted, the 1943 front version seems to consistently have a darker sky and lighter colored backstop

2. The 1949 front version is very light blue, with the backstop color almost the same as the sky

3. The ink colors for the backs varied greatly for example (using Ted Williams):
a. The 1943 back versions for Ted come in both a black and dark blue ink. These are very distinctive when held in your hand side-by-side
b. For Ted, there were several spelling errors in both the 1943 and 1949 versions,
i. Including his first name “THEORDORE” vs “THEODORE” on the 1943
ii. Several spelling errors on the 1949, “THEORORE” vs “THEODORE” and in the middle name “FRANCES” vs “FRANCIS”
c. The 1949 back ink was only noted in black to my knowledge (based on Ted Williams)

4. The 1943 versions had the “M. P. & Co., N.Y.C.” at the bottom whereas this was removed for the 1949 version cards

5. The 1949 MP&Co had both a “numbered” version and a “no number” version for many cards. I have seen many PSA/SGC labeled cards with 1943 on the flip when the card is actually a 1949 no number version.

6. The paragraph formation of the 1943 and 1949 sets varied; esp how the player name and position was listed

The photos below illustrate most all of these variations. I own nearly all of these variations for Ted Williams, with the exception the 1943 blue ink back “Theordore”. All my cards are either PSA of SGC graded, from SGC/PSA Authentic x2, PSA1, PSA2.5, PSA5 x2, SGC 5.5.

Please, if there are further discussions on Ted I would love to hear about them. I cannot say what other cards of either set would hold to these "Ted Williams Rules".

Thanks for reading,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Front.jpg (15.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Back1.jpg (8.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Back2.jpg (14.0 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Back3.jpg (11.9 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg 1943 MP&Co Back4.jpg (9.4 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg 1949 MP&Co Front.jpg (12.9 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg 1949 MP&Co Back1.jpg (9.3 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg 1949 MP&Co Back2.jpg (9.5 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg 1949 MP&Co Back3.jpg (6.6 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by Harford20; 09-16-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
There has been some great discussion regarding the MP&Co sets. I have been researching these sets with regards specifically to Ted Williams. This has kind of been a "passion" of mine as these cards are often felt to be of lesser quality. I have discovered several points that seem to hold true.

1. As TedZan noted, the 1943 front version seems to consistently have a darker sky and lighter colored backstop

2. The 1949 front version is very light blue, with the backstop color almost the same as the sky

3. The ink colors for the backs varied greatly for example (using Ted Williams):
a. The 1943 back versions for Ted come in both a black and dark blue ink. These are very distinctive when held in your hand side-by-side
b. For Ted, there were several spelling errors in both the 1943 and 1949 versions,
i. Including his first name “THEORDORE” vs “THEODORE” on the 1943
ii. Several spelling errors on the 1949, “THEORORE” vs “THEODORE” and in the middle name “FRANCES” vs “FRANCIS”
c. The 1949 back ink was only noted in black to my knowledge (based on Ted Williams)

4. The 1943 versions had the “M. P. & Co., N.Y.C.” at the bottom whereas this was removed for the 1949 version cards

5. The 1949 MP&Co had both a “numbered” version and a “no number” version for many cards. I have seen many PSA/SGC labeled cards with 1943 on the flip when the card is actually a 1949 no number version.

6. The paragraph formation of the 1943 and 1949 sets varied; esp how the player name and position was listed

The photos below illustrate most all of these variations. I own nearly all of these variations for Ted Williams, with the exception the 1943 blue ink back “Theordore”. All my cards are either PSA of SGC graded, from SGC/PSA Authentic x2, PSA1, PSA2.5, PSA5 x2, SGC 5.5.

Please, if there are further discussions on Ted I would love to hear about them. I cannot say what other cards of either set would hold to these "Ted Williams Rules".

Thanks for reading,
Dave

Dave

Great info here on the variations of the Ted Williams cards. Thanks for posting this.

I especially appreciate your........
"5. The 1949 MP&Co had both a “numbered” version and a “no number” version for many cards. I have seen many PSA/SGC labeled
cards with 1943 on the flip when the card is actually a 1949 no number version."

Furthermore,
the Grading Company's are not aware of all the printing anomalies that exist with these cards. For example, my observation of certain 1943 cards
with Pale Blue sky color and lacking Blue ink bio text is simply the result of MP & Co. missing the final BLUE ink application in their printing process.

TED Z
Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default WWII BB cards....1943 M. P. & Co....Show us your cards

Here is this 24-card set in it's strip format as it was sold to the public. I acquired the strip (A) shown here 26 years ago for less than $20.
Currently, these uncut 8-card strips in decent condition are selling for anywhere from $500 - $1000.

Strip A........

v................................................. .... original uncut 8-card strip (21 1/2 inches long) .................................................. ....v

Strip B........

MIZE - REISER - HACK - NOVIKOFF - CAMILLI - RUFFING - HUBBELL - GREENBERG

Strip C........

BOUDREAU - M. COOPER - WILLIAMS - DICKEY - FOXX - FELLER - OTT - W. COOPER

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 09-18-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Since Stan Hack has not yet made an appearance, I offer a scan of my copy. It's not a bad scan, the card is actually that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stan Hack sm.jpg (63.8 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Stan Hack sm2.jpg (59.0 KB, 398 views)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Here's my Reese for our virtual set.

Ted,

Since not all the 1949's have numbers on the back, is the best way to tell the difference the color of the text? Blue v. Black.

I have a Hank Danning that doesn't have a number but does have black text. Does that mean it's a 1949?

Thanks a lot.

AndyH

Before I answer your question, let me mention that "Hank" Danning is a typo error. It should read "Harry" Danning.

So, the answer to your question is absolutely NO. Harry Danning exists only in the 1943 set. His Major Lge. career ended in 1942;
therefore, he was not included in the 1949 set.

Contrary to what I've noted in an earlier post here, there appears to be no consistency in the the bio text color in the 1943 cards.
Approx. 95-99 % of the 1943 cards that I have (or have seen) are printed with BLUE ink. On occasion, a BLACK ink 1943 card will surface.

Whatever, it's a strange set.

TED Z
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aYkdra]