NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default unknown type card

Posted By: fkw

Hi, anyone ever seen these cards before??? It is a Kroger Bread card of John Riddle (2" by 3.25"). Id estimate the card is from about 1941, and most likely from the Cincinnati area (I believe Kroger is from there). But the hat doesnt match, it may have been an older photo of Riddle (Boston Bees?). Any info greatly appreciated. Frank

PS. Johnny Riddle only played a total of 98 games over 7 seasons 1930 Chi AL, 1937 Wash AL, 1937 1938 Boston NL, 1941 1944 1945 Cin. NL, 1948 Pitts NL

Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Hey Frank,

Before bidding on the card (congrats on the pickup), I checked with Bob Lemke and got his thougths. Although he mentioned that he'd never seen the issue before, he estimated in to be 1940's if it was authentic. Another collector and I were talking about the card after the auction ended, and one thing came up that struck me funny, the ripped hang hole at the top. As my area of collecting doesn't reach beyond the 1940's, I'm not familiar with the era when hanging holes became prevalent on cards. However, a friend that's more knowledgeable about later dates mentioned that he didn't think this trend started until at least the 1960's..and he too reasoned that this trait may be a giveaway to its true date of origin..a more recent design than the 1940's. My bid on the card, like yours, was a pure speculation of interest. I had no doubts when I bid on the card that there was a high percentage chance that the card was probably a recent design (maybe 1970's)..something like a TCMA or alike. One thing you may want to do, and I meant to do this before bidding, is check out the professional career span of this player..maybe that will help. However, it still doesn't declare the card as vintage. Just my thoughts.

Eric Eichelkraut

Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Nice card. I did bid on this, but didn't think about when it might have been issued. Eric brings up some good points. Did bread have ties in the 40's/50's, or were the ends taped? Weren't the Northern & Tip Top bread labels used for sealing the ends. I can't think of any cards with holes to hang on products until the 63(?) Pepsi cards.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

I'd think it would have to be from 1941, since that is the last baseball season before we entered WWII and the paper shortage began.

Ironic that the card says "Be a Home Run King" when Mr. Riddle hit as many MLB home runs as I did.

my two cents (which may have bought a loaf of tasty Kroger's back then)