NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: gary

I am not new at 206's , but a friend sent me a 206 cobb green port. that has me perplexed.

I know that the original lithographs were done with an array of tiny dots, and that the name is shown in a dark brown ink....

The strange thing is that the back of the card IS REAL. I am 100 percent sure.

However, the front confuses me. It does display tiny dots in the image, and the name is in dark brown. Also the last name is slightly larger than the team name.

It is glossy though....Were any 206's printed glossy????

Does anyone own a slightly more glossy 206, that IS real?

I have seen reprints before, but this card is perfect, except for the glossy sheen.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Jason

I have a large collection of scruffy t206's and also some very nice near mint ones (which have been authenticated) and they appear to be from two different sets --they are so different in gloss. The nice ones appear to have been printed yesterday.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: MW

T206 Green Portrait Ty Cobbs, unless shellacked or artificially coated with a substance that makes the surface glossy, have a matte finish. Without an image, it is impossible to say for sure, but it is certainly possible your card is a reprint.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

looks real enough, but front is GLOSSY.....i guess maybe it could be shallacked , as you put it, with some substance.

in the end , i'll just send it to PSA, but it just bothers me that i can't decide for myself if it is real or fake.....i thought i had dealt with enough of these to tell on my own.

if anyone can tell by the pics one way or the other let me know.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: jay behrens

It looks like there is a tear on the back on the left hand side, but I don't see a matching mark on the right front. I have you checked the edges carefully to make sure it's not a reprint with a legit back put on it?

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Jason

Looks real to me at first glance but too worn to have a gloss-has to be coated with a substance.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

ya , i checked the edges. they seem legit.

i guess the thing that bothers me is that there are spots of picture bleed, like in some real 206's ....where blue/greenish colors have bled, or been printed outside the black border slightly. know what i mean...

the reprints i used to see were relatively perfect, with no printing flaws

i was just wondering if some people have found ways to duplicate real 206's , including picture flaws, bleeds, etc.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: hankron

Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Anonymous

I have a Cross (Indianapolis) that also has some 'gloss' which I am going to send to PSA just out of curiousity. I've assumed it is fake (if real it might grade out at a '4.'). I cannot imagine someone going to the trouble of faking an obscure minor leaguer so I'm hoping it might be real, but it just doesn't look right.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Dennis

I'd also check the edges to see if there's evidence of the card being re-backed. In other words - a reprint front image applied to an original back.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: petecld

After looking at the card, I would take Dennis's suggestion. The front just doesn't seem quite right but the back looks authentic.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Tim M

i posted about this a while back....I received two cards the same as above...it seems that the front is an expensive laser copy but the back is real. I brought the cards to a major show and I was told it is a fake front from a major grading company and multiple dealers whom I respect, the fakes are getting very good,,,,

Old 08-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Aaron b.

If you put together a convincing fake, why would you add a gloss?

Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

i have made my recommendation to my friend. if it is FAKE ...he was ripped off, and even if it is real....it has to be coated in something glossy, that i am sure PSA will grade down for.

either way he overpayed for the card.

the upseting thing is that from the picture no gloss can be seen, but there is no doubt that the seller intended it this way.

thanks for the thoughts.

by the way , i am greatly enjoying this forum. i just wish i had the money that a lot of you guys do to build the collection i want....but at least i can drool at your pics...

Old 08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Anonymous

Gary, If your friend doesn't want it-I would like to buy it and send it off to -maybe-Pro. (thanx) Davis

Old 08-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Tom Botticelli

I have owned a couple of cards that where in the same condition yours was and after talking to a couple of fello w collectors about the glossy picture we decided to soak one of the commons in water to see if it was rebacked and unfortunately it was (I really nice fake). Please don't try this with your Cobb but I thought the experience might help. Anyways my two cents.

Tom B.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Default better fakes?

Posted By: Josh Behrens

I have found a few 206's in my collection with a bit of a glossy sheen. I began to notice also that the color of the printing (name and team at bottom) seemed to vary from brown to almost black. How dark of lettering have ya'll seen on a real card? Also... Some of the Piedmont backs vary in darkness also. How dark were the backs origionally, and were some lighter at print or have they all just faded from age?