NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-19-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Mystery 1978 Carlton

I was going through my 78 Topps cards and my eye caught something odd about this graded Carlton card. It has larger white borders compared to other 78s. Seems like the pic is slightly smaller with the borders larger. All the rest looks normal (looked at print and pic with magnifier).I am puzzled and have considered this was sheet cut but I don't think that explains it. Looking for comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carlton 78T .jpg (72.3 KB, 413 views)
Old 07-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Weird - the image looks identical from your graded sample to this image from the Card Cyber Museum - in other words no cropping differences. What this means (considering those borders ARE too wide) is that the image (including the artistic elements) was either printed smaller on this sample, or the card in the slab is larger than the standard size in both dimensions. Neither one seems plausible - I've never seen any other example of uniform image shrinking (though others here have far more experience than I), and if the card were that much bigger there would have been slabbing issues, to say nothing of the fact it would be a major miscut.

So the only thing I can conclude is that this is a reprint card and someone at BVG was really asleep at the switch. I have seen other Topps reprints over the years (1997 Willie Mays reprints in particular) that have a smaller image than the original.

Be interesting to see the reverse.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Beckett is well-known for grading sheet cut cards with number grades. It's the most likely answer IMO, since if it was packed out, it would have been larger than the other cards in the pack and therefore much more likely to get corner and edge wear. Occam's Razor.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:52 PM

On further inspection - the Carlton in the slab looks loose, like it doesn't make it to the frame edges. A smaller sample? Still would mean it's a reprint. Again the back image would be helpful.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I don't think it's counterfeit or the image is smaller. You can see easily that the are two versions of the slab being used on those two cards having much different space available for the card, like they had to increase to a 1952 Topps sized internal area to hold the card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Back Scan

Dimensions are (hard to measure through case) appear to be 2 9/16 by 3 9/16. Don't be fooled by comparing the cases, Becketts cases and space have varied over the years. Does not appear to be a reprint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carlton Back.jpg (75.1 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by Crossfire; 07-19-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 PM

Default Carlton Scans

Side by Side Psa 9 vs the Bvg 9.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carlton 78 2.jpg (72.4 KB, 382 views)
Old 07-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Update

Image on Both Carltons appear to be the same size. I am leaning towards a sheet cut card with a extra 1/16 on each side.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Keith

It's a sheet cut card.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Concur. Beckett's unfortunate lack of expertise weeding out sheet cut items strikes again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 PM

I've never gotten a card graded, and unless I find a shoe box full of mint 52s probably never will, so others know far more about the grading process than I. But, even if they can't recognize a sheet cut card, wouldn't they have been expected to comment on the otherwise unexplainable size/border thickness differences?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Beckett

Yeah, I'm pretty upset. I bought the card on Ebay quite some time ago. Most dealers would not refund on a graded card anyway. If I sell it I would list that its sheet cut and would not expect to get anywhere near what I paid.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Greg C

SHEET
CUT
CARD

Old 08-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Patrick

Ok, I'm new to this so sorry for the question but whats the difference between a sheet cut card and a regular card? Aren't all cards printed and cut on big sheets to begin with? Thanks!

1956 Topps (97/340)
1950 Bowman (178/252)
Virginia T206 SLers (11/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (17/18)
T206 Washington Senators (14/19)
T205 Washington Senators (3/9)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers
Old 08-04-2020, 03:24 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natswin2019 View Post
Ok, I'm new to this so sorry for the question but whats the difference between a sheet cut card and a regular card? Aren't all cards printed and cut on big sheets to begin with? Thanks!

"Sheet cut" basically means a card that was specifically cut from a sheet, by the collector or dealer. For example:

A collector or dealer buys an uncut sheet of say, 1979 Topps baseball, that contains the Ozzie Smith RC. The Ozzie RC is notorious for centering problems. The collector/dealer knows this, so he bought the full 132-card sheet specifically to try to get a perfectly centered Ozzie RC. He takes it to a professional printer/paper cutter, and has them cut the Ozzie out of the sheet, hoping for that elusive perfect centering.

This is completely different from the normal sheets of cards that Topps (or any other card company) prints, cuts, and puts into packs.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
"Sheet cut" basically means a card that was specifically cut from a sheet, by the collector or dealer. For example:

A collector or dealer buys an uncut sheet of say, 1979 Topps baseball, that contains the Ozzie Smith RC. The Ozzie RC is notorious for centering problems. The collector/dealer knows this, so he bought the full 132-card sheet specifically to try to get a perfectly centered Ozzie RC. He takes it to a professional printer/paper cutter, and has them cut the Ozzie out of the sheet, hoping for that elusive perfect centering.

This is completely different from the normal sheets of cards that Topps (or any other card company) prints, cuts, and puts into packs.
Ah I see, that makes sense. So in theory it should be pretty easy to spot that someone did this and that a TPG service should catch this? That all makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:04 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natswin2019 View Post
Ah I see, that makes sense. So in theory it should be pretty easy to spot that someone did this and that a TPG service should catch this? That all makes sense. Thanks for the info!
If done properly, I would assume this would be hard to catch. That would include cutting the card to the correct size and to use the same technique that the card company uses to cut the card, ie - die cut, roller blade, straight blade cut, etc. I guess it depends on how hard the grader looks at the edges and how close the measurements are.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:27 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

That Carlton is beautiful regardless. Sheet cut cards don't bother me much. I'd prefer a card be from packaging consistent with the year of issue, but the card is authentic.
I like how PSA grades the card and adds "Hand" or "Sheet" Cut

Last edited by Phil68; 08-05-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Carlton sheet cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
That Carlton is beautiful regardless. Sheet cut cards don't bother me much. I'd prefer a card be from packaging consistent with the year of issue, but the card is authentic.
I like how PSA grades the card and adds "Hand" or "Sheet" Cut
I'm pretty sure that PSA only does this for commonly sheet cut cards such as Hostess, Nestle and Post cereal. I would think a normal Topps would be returned that it did meet minimum size requirements.