NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default spot the shill bidder for PWWC AUCTION

spot the shill bidder
not sure who is the shill bidder or a real bidder
but some one is going to pay the price so far a whopping 203 bids AND 7 days left WOW any bets on final bid price
here is the listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35310821693...p2471758.m4704
HERE IS THE BID HISTORY
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/35...p2047675.l2565

Last edited by megalimey; 06-18-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Without putting much of my math brain to work, I wouldn't have thought it possible to see 203 bids only get to 76 bucks. That's darned impressive!!
Old 06-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Dave

I don't see any obvious shill bidding going on, but "6***3" is sure playing some weird game.

Either trying to artificially up the bid count (for what reason, I don't know), or trying to intimidate other bidders by bidding up his own bids pennies at a time.

Both reasons seem pretty odd, or dumb, or whatever you want to call it.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default Bid history

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I don't see any obvious shill bidding going on, but "6***3" is sure playing some weird game.

Either trying to artificially up the bid count (for what reason, I don't know), or trying to intimidate other bidders by bidding up his own bids pennies at a time.

Both reasons seem pretty odd, or dumb, or whatever you want to call it.
THE BID HISTORY one has 100% with the seller
other has 75% bids with this seller
but you could be right who ever heard of PWWC shill bidding in their auctions
Old 06-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
THE BID HISTORY one has 100% with the seller
other has 75% bids with this seller
but you could be right who ever heard of PWWC shill bidding in their auctions

Total items bid on "1".

The other has bid on 19 items in 30 days, and one of his go to's is one of the biggest sellers on Ebay.

Maybe it's shilling, but this isn't exactly a clear cut case. It's certainly very strange bidding strategy.

I thought we long ago concluded bid % means very little, unless there's a bunch of retractions to go along with it.

If PWCC can actually match up one of those bidders with a consignor, then we have a smoking gun. As it is, plenty of bidders love to screw around with auctions without being a shill of some sort. Usually it's to the detriment of the seller of the item.

I've never consigned anything with PWCC and I don't think I've ever won anything from them either. They certainly have a checkered history, but this is low on their list of sins, IMO. Of course the auction isn't over yet, and can still take a strange turn.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Without putting much of my math brain to work, I wouldn't have thought it possible to see 203 bids only get to 76 bucks. That's darned impressive!!
Darn impressive since it is only 2 bidders.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:12 AM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Wouldn't this likely be a case of one guy putting in a max bid & then the other guy making small raises until he beat that bid?
Some of those bids, but not most of those. You couldn't do those tiny increments that way.

It's basically one guy getting the high bid, and then upping his own max pennies at a time, while HE has the high bid.

Up the bid count, intimidate other bidders, I don't know the purpose. I see it all the time, but it's usually done closer to the end of auctions and then maybe 5 or 6 consecutive max bids at the most, before they peter out.

Looks like this guy had some time on his hands.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:31 PM

[QU

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 05:34 PM.