NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Default Bond Bread Tin

Recently bought a lot of 1947 Bond Bread Cards. They are rounded corners. They came in the original bread tin with the Jackie Robinson ad as part of the tin. Does anybody have any idea how common this tin with the ad is? Does anybody know the background on how these came? It is petty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B77400A4-4723-4525-9C36-AB9962AD57FD.jpg (18.8 KB, 446 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Jamie

Check this thread, wealth of knowledge located here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ght=Bond+bread
Old 09-05-2021, 06:56 AM

I got outbid on this -- the tin actually spooked me a bit because it didn't seem legit to the time period and I was worried about the cards being laminated (IIRC) and concerned they could have been trimmed square corners. I couldn't find any info about the tin when I looked. Definitely not saying they aren't legit as I know absolutely nothing about this issue, I just talked myself out of bidding higher. Looking forward to learning anything you may uncover.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Bond Bread Cards

I saw the set as well and was going to put a bid in as well but just didn’t feel comfortable with the looks of things. If you do get it graded, I’d be curious to know what comes back. if they are real you got a a great deal on things! Good luck!

In terms of the tin, I have never seen anything like it. Love to see if others here have.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by incugator View Post
Recently bought a lot of 1947 Bond Bread Cards. They are rounded corners. They came in the original bread tin with the Jackie Robinson ad as part of the tin. Does anybody have any idea how common this tin with the ad is? Does anybody know the background on how these came? It is petty cool.
Nice pick up. There should be some threads on here about how they were packaged. I think Teddy Z got them from the bread loaves.
I picked this up not too long ago from one of the good guys, Danny M.....

Last edited by Leon; 09-06-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I can't answer any questions about the authenticity of the cards. However, I don't believe the tin to be original at all. That ad was not used for the rounded corner cards. Instead it was given to store owners and used in newspapers to promote the one of the groups of 6 of the set of 13 Bond Bread cards. Im not at my computer now so I can't speak to which group of 6, but it 100% was not used to promote the round corner cards. Sorry

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 09-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Shaun Fyffe

The advertisement that is on the bread tin was featured in newspapers in August, 1948.

It was part of a trend in 1948 to feature families in advertisements.

This article from June 1948 talks about Jackie's family being featured in ads to promote Bond Bread.

Unrelated to this post, but still additional information on the set of 13: here's an article on the set of 13 that discusses the release of the set in various parts of the US

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 09-06-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:56 AM

Another one of these tins ends today on eBay and the seller is (I believe) the same as the first seller. He also has laminated Bond Bread cards which he offered the first time around.

INCUGATOR — did you happen to return your purchase? If not how similar do these cards and tin look to the ones you bought?

Tin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Bond-B...-127632-2357-0

Jackie card: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Bond-B...-127632-2357-0

Last edited by polakoff; 11-28-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:25 AM
Paul Herbener

Usually we don't out auctions until they end.

Last edited by pherbener; 11-28-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:28 AM
Paul Herbener

That being said, I don't like them. The color on the back of Jackie seems closer to the square backs and I don't like the look of the rounded corners.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:37 AM
P@trick R.omolo

You can see the pencil marks where someone marked the corners to cut them.

017 - Copy.jpg

019 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 11-28-2021 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added scans
Old 11-28-2021, 07:29 AM

Default Returned

The seller had a return policy which he honored. I have a few other rounded corners cards and they didn’t seem the same. Color, paper and corner rounding was different.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:44 AM

I really wasn’t trying to out it, just wanted to know if the original purchase was returned which it looks like it was. I recognized this as looking very similar to the original purchase and being the same seller with such a unique background in the photos. Since there was a question about the provenance of these tins a second one would have been an interesting find.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:02 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Last edited by Pat R; 11-28-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: double post
Old 11-28-2021, 11:02 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
I really wasn’t trying to out it, just wanted to know if the original purchase was returned which it looks like it was. I recognized this as looking very similar to the original purchase and being the same seller with such a unique background in the photos. Since there was a question about the provenance of these tins a second one would have been an interesting find.
I don't think there is anything wrong with outing this auction. It's obvious the cards have been altered and I don't think it's a coincidence that the seller waited until the past sales of the cards and tin no longer show up on ebay.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with outing this auction. It's obvious the cards have been altered and I don't think it's a coincidence that the seller waited until the past sales of the cards and tin no longer show up on ebay.
What’s interesting is they also don’t show up on Terapeak. I’m guessing that if you cancel an auction it wipes it from the Terapeak database too.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:03 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Another one of these tins ends today on eBay and the seller is (I believe) the same as the first seller. He also has laminated Bond Bread cards which he offered the first time around.

INCUGATOR — did you happen to return your purchase? If not how similar do these cards and tin look to the ones you bought?

Tin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Bond-B...-127632-2357-0

Jackie card: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Bond-B...-127632-2357-0
Thanks a ton for bumping this today. Really appreciate that...
Old 11-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The cards maybe. If there's a question of authenticity. But not the cards and the tin. Complete bs
Old 11-29-2021, 04:19 AM

My question of authenticity isn’t with the cards, which I believe could be real 1949 square corners trimmed to have rounded corners, but I do have questions about the tin, which I believe to be a complete fantasy piece. There’s not any record or proof of Bond Bread ever even coming in a tin like that, or the ad being used on a tin, and no reason to think a 75 year old tin would even look like that. My interest was in learning if there were 2 different tins like this, which would possibly lend credence to them being a real and recent discovery, or if it was the same tin that OP purchased. It’s the second.

Apologies if I broke a rule in outing the auction, but determining if there was a second tin or if this was the same tin OP posted about seemed like something worth figuring out.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:08 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Right. After the auction
Old 11-29-2021, 06:03 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
but I do have questions about the tin, which I believe to be a complete fantasy piece.
I'm confused whether anybody thinks the tin dates from Jackie's association with Bond Bread. If it does, it is a cool piece. I have an 11x15 window poster of the same ad hanging in my house that I paid around $425 for unframed about 5 years ago. I have only seen one sell since; it went for $960.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:22 AM

I think people do think it dates back to that time given that the auction for the tin sold for nearly $500. The advertisement on there is, like you said, from a 1948 poster.

I was a bidder in the first auction when this was offered and was interested in bidding in this one if there was any suggestion that it could be real, which is why I wanted to know more info to begin with.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:42 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
I think people do think it dates back to that time given that the auction for the tin sold for nearly $500. The advertisement on there is, like you said, from a 1948 poster.

I was a bidder in the first auction when this was offered and was interested in bidding in this one if there was any suggestion that it could be real, which is why I wanted to know more info to begin with.
Right. I believe those who bid were at the very least willing to take the gamble. My suggestion in the future would be to do your investigative work privately (inquire with the seller, ask around privately on this board, count on the sellers 30 day return policy, etc). It’s just frustrating when you finally locate a gem, look forward to it all week, and then read about it on here the day of. End of the day it’s not your fault, I should have gone higher. I’m a huge Jackie collector and just bummed. If the winner is on here I’d purchase it from you for $875
Old 11-29-2021, 07:10 AM

Well, I do sincerely apologize. Really didn’t intend to out it.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:14 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Well, I do sincerely apologize. Really didn’t intend to out it.
Like I said, not your fault. I should’ve made sure I won it
Old 11-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a quite reassuring part of their description. They were really taking care of the cards, if they did it themselves...

Each card has been laminated to maintain structural integrity.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was watching those cards as well. They really did not look good to me and the lamination...no. I am amazed someone paid almost $200 for a laminated card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-29-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is a quite reassuring part of their description. They were really taking care of the cards, if they did it themselves...

Each card has been laminated to maintain structural integrity.

They were also found at a flea market in Tennessee, sold by a guy in Colorado. Whole thing felt weird to me the first time and even weirder now.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:33 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Yeah I never liked the cards. Laminated or not