NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2021, 01:12 PM

I appreciate that Adam.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I used to think that qualifiers dropped the value of a card about 2 full grades.
So, example, a PSA8 Miscut of a 1960 Mantle All-Star would be valued like a regular PSA6. Is that no longer the case?
I got one for that, too:

228. Registry Disparity
The mathematical rule of thumb that a card with a qualifier is equal to a straight graded card two whole numbers lower.

See also: The Binary Conundrum - owning a graded card with a qualifier, but since the ‘defect’ is so minor, it definitely doesn’t merit having a two-grades-lower drop in value.

---

It's definitely just a (silly?) 'rule of thumb' with not a lot behind it. When I chat up someone with a huge BIN price on an off-centered card, and see if they'll adjust their price for the 'two-grades-lower' theory, they almost always want nothing to do with it. Some of them I wholeheartedly agree with (because the cards look great), but I know the others will never sell the cards for anywhere near their asking prices.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:01 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I used to think that qualifiers dropped the value of a card about 2 full grades.
So, example, a PSA8 Miscut of a 1960 Mantle All-Star would be valued like a regular PSA6. Is that no longer the case?
It's never been a hard rule, just a starting point. If you track auction prices and build a model, you'll find that each qualifier ultimately has a different effect on pricing. Also, it's location on the card matters as well. A miscut card is by far the most aggressive drop in value. It can often sell for 3 full grades below its non qualified grade. An OC qualifier can go for 1, 2, or 3 grades below. It often depends more on the set and how difficult those cards are to find centered in general. A card with a stain can sell between 1 or 2 grades below depending on the stain and where it's located and how severe it is. Gum stains are worse than wax stains since wax stains are often easy to remove and gum stains aren't. Also, some stains can easily be removed just with water, others can't. This all has an effect on pricing. Marked cards, same thing. Is there ink on the front or the back? And how big is the ink mark or writing? I've seen cards with mk qualifiers where you can't even find the marking. So long story short, it depends. But a miscut card is by far the worst qualifier in terms of resale value. That will kill you every time. It's almost always a full grade less in value than even an OC designation.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:23 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
In March a PSA 4 52T Mantle sold for $148,000. The market right now is about half of that. That card has gone down from its peak just like every other one has.
You left out the relevant part of that sale though. It wasn't just some random PSA 4. It was an extremely well-centered PSA 4, which for this particular card, easily doubles it's value over an off-centered 4. See pic below of the card you're referring to.

Worth noting is that this sale was from Goldin on 3/7. However, in that exact same auction, ending on the same day was a decently centered PSA 5 that sold for $116k, and a PSA 8 that sold for $1,353,000. That exact same PSA 8 (cert #09044593) which fetched $1.3M in the same auction as the PSA 4 just sold last month at Goldin for $2,029,500, a profit of nearly $700k in less than 8 months.

If that PSA 4 were to be relisted today, it probably sells for more than $150k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52T_Mantle_4.jpg (79.3 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 12-03-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:56 AM
Rich

Default always learning

Thanks Darren - I appreciate your sharing your experiences with sellers and the two grades "myth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I got one for that, too:

228. Registry Disparity
The mathematical rule of thumb that a card with a qualifier is equal to a straight graded card two whole numbers lower.

See also: The Binary Conundrum - owning a graded card with a qualifier, but since the ‘defect’ is so minor, it definitely doesn’t merit having a two-grades-lower drop in value.

---

It's definitely just a (silly?) 'rule of thumb' with not a lot behind it. When I chat up someone with a huge BIN price on an off-centered card, and see if they'll adjust their price for the 'two-grades-lower' theory, they almost always want nothing to do with it. Some of them I wholeheartedly agree with (because the cards look great), but I know the others will never sell the cards for anywhere near their asking prices.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:53 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
You left out the relevant part of that sale though. It wasn't just some random PSA 4. It was an extremely well-centered PSA 4, which for this particular card, easily doubles it's value over an off-centered 4. See pic below of the card you're referring to.

Worth noting is that this sale was from Goldin on 3/7. However, in that exact same auction, ending on the same day was a decently centered PSA 5 that sold for $116k, and a PSA 8 that sold for $1,353,000. That exact same PSA 8 (cert #09044593) which fetched $1.3M in the same auction as the PSA 4 just sold last month at Goldin for $2,029,500, a profit of nearly $700k in less than 8 months.

So true. Grades aren't created equal. Might be a technical 4 but looks nicer than many grades higher.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 12-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

Yes that card had decent centering, but so did the one that sold for $75k after that. It is not a card that would go for anywhere near 200% VCP, there are cards like that out there but that is not one of them.

My best guess is 2 guys got a bad case of FOMO and massively outbid on that card. It's an example of what was happening 9 months ago.

The PSA 8 pricing is interesting. There wasn't a dip on that card, although the $1.3m sale in March was less than a $1.6m sale in January which is unusual, since the market was climbing steadily from December through March. And all those cards look like really strong 8's.

I think it is hard to generalize from just a few sales. I have been tracking 100 centered Mantle cards for the last 3 years. I have posted about it before and don't want to get into the weeds of that on this thread, but if you are interested just PM me your email and we can talk further about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Yes that card had decent centering, but so did the one that sold for $75k after that. It is not a card that would go for anywhere near 200% VCP, there are cards like that out there but that is not one of them.

My best guess is 2 guys got a bad case of FOMO and massively outbid on that card. It's an example of what was happening 9 months ago.

The PSA 8 pricing is interesting. There wasn't a dip on that card, although the $1.3m sale in March was less than a $1.6m sale in January which is unusual, since the market was climbing steadily from December through March. And all those cards look like really strong 8's.

I think it is hard to generalize from just a few sales. I have been tracking 100 centered Mantle cards for the last 3 years. I have posted about it before and don't want to get into the weeds of that on this thread, but if you are interested just PM me your email and we can talk further about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
1 or 2 sales here and there can certainly create illusions with respect to the braoder market. And there are so many factors that can cause any one card to be worth considerably more or less than other "comps". I'm a statistician, so I'd love to look at the data if you've been tracking 100 Mantles. I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

To grade is human.